Here is a little idea of mine. ***Involves cheating - Purists need not enter***

Not putting this in the editors forums, as it is of common interest

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not the most successful manager in the world (Wait for it Chopper!!)..

Havin won my first title and not really knowing HOW i won it (did I really do that?) I decided I needed to do something to both re-invigorate me, and help me perhaps figure this game out a little...

This is what I did:

(I was inspired by Kipfizh's "AI experiment - what would happen if.." thread)

I took a low-reputation club from the Coca Cola League 2 (Rochdale) and deleted (freed) their entire playing, coaching and boardroom staff.

I kept their reputation as-is (2650 IIRC) and filled the team with 23 world-class players.

I'm talking all 21yr-olds with CA200 and PA200, I also made their mental attributes "Perfect" highly professional, 20 for determination and loyalty.

These lads also have the team (re-named "Starrett Town") as their favorite team and each other listed as favored personnel.

They are so good, it's just bloody stupid, to be honest.

They would all saunter into Barcelona's 1st team, then get bored and walk out.

I'm not holidaying this game; I took over as manager with my board listing the following expectations:

1. Achieve respectable position in league 2 (We're on course to win every game by miles)

2. Reach the second round of FA Cup (We'll probably win it)

3. Enjoy League Cup participation (We just put Man Utd out in the Quarter Final)

4. Enjoy that other cup (J.P Trophy?) participation (In the Semi-Final at the minute)

The reason I'm writing this is that I feel it's educational to play the game at the other extreme, totally out-classing EVERY team we face.

I'm having fun designing tactics and knowing that whatever I tell my players I KNOW they are capable of doing EXACTLY as I say - this helps to see exactly where I am going wrong because the gulf in class is so vast the opposition simply cannot cope.

We've scored almost FOURTY GOALS from corners in only 15 league matches and not only that, I think it is dis-proving this notion that the AI "Cheats" because the simple fact is this:

My players are infinitely superior to ANY opposition = Win every time, no question.

There are NO SILLY BACK-PASS GOALS, due to my players perfect intelligence and composure, decisions and concentration.

My players are YET TO CONCEDE from corners and I have yet to see any kind of silly goal (by my own team) because their attributes are SO GOOD.

I know I'm cheating like mad, I've said it in the title, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the game were to cheat then surely despite my players obvious attribute advantage, we'd have lost somewhere along the line due to us facing teams whose reputation alone indicated (as in the pre-match predictions) was massive in comparison, we were for a hammering.

I've started loads of games in past saves as hot favorites but been hammered - much to my annoyance

I think anyone who has doubts about the game should give this a try becuase not only is it brilliant fun (expected to get thrashed by Crystal Palace in the League cup but won THIRTEEN NIL!!!) but it really is educational and an eye-opener.

I'll emphasize this point: Reputation is NOTHING, attributes and tactics are EVERYTHING (when managing and watching matches) - If you have the better players and your tactics are right you WILL SUCCEED, I know I'm playing from one extreme to prove this but I HAD TO; the difference between "equal teams" is so small that we are splitting hairs.

(And there is little point in splitting hairs if you can't see where they have been split

I hope this thread is met with some positives as I know what I'm trying to get across, I'll hopefully add more to it as time (the seasons) go by and keep you up to date

Hope this all makes sense!!

Starr icon_smile.gif

Not putting this in the editors forums, as it is of common interest

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not the most successful manager in the world (Wait for it Chopper!!)..

Havin won my first title and not really knowing HOW i won it (did I really do that?) I decided I needed to do something to both re-invigorate me, and help me perhaps figure this game out a little...

This is what I did:

(I was inspired by Kipfizh's "AI experiment - what would happen if.." thread)

I took a low-reputation club from the Coca Cola League 2 (Rochdale) and deleted (freed) their entire playing, coaching and boardroom staff.

I kept their reputation as-is (2650 IIRC) and filled the team with 23 world-class players.

I'm talking all 21yr-olds with CA200 and PA200, I also made their mental attributes "Perfect" highly professional, 20 for determination and loyalty.

These lads also have the team (re-named "Starrett Town") as their favorite team and each other listed as favored personnel.

They are so good, it's just bloody stupid, to be honest.

They would all saunter into Barcelona's 1st team, then get bored and walk out.

I'm not holidaying this game; I took over as manager with my board listing the following expectations:

1. Achieve respectable position in league 2 (We're on course to win every game by miles)

2. Reach the second round of FA Cup (We'll probably win it)

3. Enjoy League Cup participation (We just put Man Utd out in the Quarter Final)

4. Enjoy that other cup (J.P Trophy?) participation (In the Semi-Final at the minute)

The reason I'm writing this is that I feel it's educational to play the game at the other extreme, totally out-classing EVERY team we face.

I'm having fun designing tactics and knowing that whatever I tell my players I KNOW they are capable of doing EXACTLY as I say - this helps to see exactly where I am going wrong because the gulf in class is so vast the opposition simply cannot cope.

We've scored almost FOURTY GOALS from corners in only 15 league matches and not only that, I think it is dis-proving this notion that the AI "Cheats" because the simple fact is this:

My players are infinitely superior to ANY opposition = Win every time, no question.

There are NO SILLY BACK-PASS GOALS, due to my players perfect intelligence and composure, decisions and concentration.

My players are YET TO CONCEDE from corners and I have yet to see any kind of silly goal (by my own team) because their attributes are SO GOOD.

I know I'm cheating like mad, I've said it in the title, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the game were to cheat then surely despite my players obvious attribute advantage, we'd have lost somewhere along the line due to us facing teams whose reputation alone indicated (as in the pre-match predictions) was massive in comparison, we were for a hammering.

I've started loads of games in past saves as hot favorites but been hammered - much to my annoyance

I think anyone who has doubts about the game should give this a try becuase not only is it brilliant fun (expected to get thrashed by Crystal Palace in the League cup but won THIRTEEN NIL!!!) but it really is educational and an eye-opener.

I'll emphasize this point: Reputation is NOTHING, attributes and tactics are EVERYTHING (when managing and watching matches) - If you have the better players and your tactics are right you WILL SUCCEED, I know I'm playing from one extreme to prove this but I HAD TO; the difference between "equal teams" is so small that we are splitting hairs.

(And there is little point in splitting hairs if you can't see where they have been split

I hope this thread is met with some positives as I know what I'm trying to get across, I'll hopefully add more to it as time (the seasons) go by and keep you up to date

Hope this all makes sense!!

Starr icon_smile.gif

Do you have the original save that you could upload somewhere? This would be the perfect game to play after a rather stressful season or the need to change it up. That is why I am trying the experiment that I have going right now and really helps me get back into the game sometimes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roversawh7:

Do you have the original save that you could upload somewhere? This would be the perfect game to play after a rather stressful season or the need to change it up. That is why I am trying the experiment that I have going right now and really helps me get back into the game sometimes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll happily upload the game if I knew how to?

Anywhere I can find a detailed description of this?

Do you believe that your tactics have any influence in the match outcome? With all those super players, it's hard to tell whether it was your tactics or purely the players. You can just file them into simply 4-4-2 with default setting and you'd still win by a mile since your opponents are far inferior.

If you put your team against many top European teams, you'll probably see how your tactics come into play. League 2 is simply too low and 1 match against ManYoo is meaningless.

I did a similar thing on 01/02. I took over Berwick Rangers in Scottish div 3, released all their team and through the editor had a team of all-stars installed. I left the reputations intact and omitted to change most of the wages. It was fun while it lasted, beating most teams 9 or 10-nil although the likes of Beckham, Roberto Carlos, Zauri, van Nistelroy etc got itchy feet, and with 200-300 gates, bankruptcy came rather quickly!! My backroom team of Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger seemed happy enough though...

Unfortunately the game then crashed...

Might try it again on FM 08...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macyst:

Do you believe that your tactics have any influence in the match outcome? With all those super players, it's hard to tell whether it was your tactics or purely the players. You can just file them into simply 4-4-2 with default setting and you'd still win by a mile since your opponents are far inferior. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you were judging only by final score, yeah ...

.. but it should be a very good testbed for trying out new tactics if you watch matches on "Full", because:

a.) You know your players are making the "right" decisions from among the options you've asked them to take

b.) You know your players are on superb morale

c.) You know your players have the skill to pull off the move you've asked them to.

So if you're watching on full, and you notice that consistently, your DM/MCd doesn't have any forward options because everybody's hared off towards the opposition goal, so he keeps dumping it off to the fullbacks .. then you know you've got things set up wrong.

Starr_Man, I might be interested in playing that one, too: I'd been thinking of trying on purpose to "Get teamtalks wrong" with a team that's stupidly good, just to see how wrong it goes.

Starman 5. How the f**k is assiging world class players to rochdale educational. You have even blown yourself out in one of your paragraphs.

'I'm having fun designing tactics and knowing that whatever I tell my players I KNOW they are capable of doing EXACTLY as I say - this helps to see exactly where I am going wrong because the gulf in class is so vast the opposition simply cannot cope.'

How is doing this teachng you anything!

How are you going to learn tactics by doing this. I understand you paid for the game and you can do what the hell you like but it sickens me when people do this. I tried to manage chelsea once on 06 but its just too easy. Surely there is nothing more satisfying than bringing a lower league club up and battling to stay in League 2 etc. When you start off with a ***** club and battle your way through games it is the most satisfying thing in the world.

Ps. I hope your game malfunctions with all your cheating. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tommy 'the red' Howard:

Starman 5. How the f**k is assiging world class players to rochdale educational. You have even blown yourself out in one of your paragraphs.

'I'm having fun designing tactics and knowing that whatever I tell my players I KNOW they are capable of doing EXACTLY as I say - this helps to see exactly where I am going wrong because the gulf in class is so vast the opposition simply cannot cope.'

How are you going to learn tactics by doing this. I understand you paid for the game and you can do what the hell you like but it sickens me when people do this. I tried to manage chelsea once on 06 but its just too easy. Surely there is nothing more satisfying than bringing a lower league club up and battling to stay in League 2 etc. When you start off with a ***** club and battle your way through games it is the most satisfying thing in the world.

Ps. I hope your game malfunctions with all your cheating. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've completely missed the point he was trying to make, and not only that, your reply was more than a little rude. Please do not swear as this forum is viewed by minors.

If you don't "get" his experiment, then don't comment.

To the OP - at least we now have something to shut up the "AI cheats" brigade. Out of curiosity, are the AI teams scoring from the majority of their shots on target? In my current game, i'm winning most games con=mfortably, but whenever i concede it tends to be the opositions ONLY SOT, which is a bit irratating. It's not affecting results, just blemeshing my defensive record, and i was wondering if the same thing was happening in your perfect world?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tommy 'the red' Howard:

Ps. I hope your game malfunctions with all your cheating. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think you've not seen the title mate.

Bit ott, no?

An interesting experiment- I am sure that Ackter some years ago said that attributes counted for the largest % of the criteria that affected results and that reputation counted most towards the pre match odds. This probably confirms this.

I have just started a similar experiment of my own.

I am seasons in to an 07 game, and downloaded fmm for the first time.

I have always tried to groom youngsters and have had a decent amount of succsess doing it, but despite improving all my facilities and scouts I never get many great players join me in the summer (I usually have to buy the best 16 year olds)

So when my new group came through, I took the three youngest and just one stat.

For one I put the PA as 200, another 195 and the third player 190. I didn't touch any other stats. I want to have my own group of homegrown stars.

It's cheating but it's got my excited about the game again. Their stats are shooting up but one of them has already out for 3 months with an injury so I have no idea if they will all reach the top.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Flag:

I have just started a similar experiment of my own.

I am seasons in to an 07 game, and downloaded fmm for the first time.

I have always tried to groom youngsters and have had a decent amount of succsess doing it, but despite improving all my facilities and scouts I never get many great players join me in the summer (I usually have to buy the best 16 year olds)

So when my new group came through, I took the three youngest and changedjust one stat.

For one I put the PA as 200, another 195 and the third player 190. I didn't touch any other stats. I want to have my own group of homegrown stars.

It's cheating but it's got my excited about the game again. Their stats are shooting up but one of them has already out for 3 months with an injury so I have no idea if they will all reach the top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrazT:

An interesting experiment- I am sure that Ackter some years ago said that attributes counted for the largest % of the criteria that affected results and that reputation counted most towards the pre match odds. This probably confirms this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually reputation counts for a lot - but not for playing matches. For instance, even with maxed loyalty, the players will consider moves to higher rep clubs, and if he wants to bring in any players, they will consider the rep of his club. Rep also affects the board's expectations and many other factors.

@Ched, regarding the defensive record.

I've only conceded about 5 goals altogether, never more than 1 in a match, and the only team (I think) who had more that one or two shots in a game were Man Yoo (13 or 14 with 5 on target - my (Super!) keeper icon_wink.gif was MOTM) in the League Cup 4th or 5th round...

It really is big fun, I'm not "Achieving" anything as such, but due to my players infinite super-powers I'm able to fiddle around with team talks, media comments, manager interaction and what have you - even a massive dip in form would see us "Only" win about 5-0. ("Disappointed" icon_biggrin.gif)

In fact, the closest I've come to a defeat so far was a 3-1 away win....

In the board/fan confidence thingy, the fan spokesperson says that "A leading Bookmaker has stopped taking bets on our matches, such is our amazing run of form!" - A nice wee touch again by SI.

PS - It is funny how the game doesn't take into consideration the fact that my team is filled with footballing Leviathans when predicting results, saying we'll get trounced then we go and win something silly like 15-0... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macyst:

Do you believe that your tactics have any influence in the match outcome? With all those super players, it's hard to tell whether it was your tactics or purely the players. You can just file them into simply 4-4-2 with default setting and you'd still win by a mile since your opponents are far inferior. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you were judging only by final score, yeah ...

.. but it should be a very good testbed for trying out new tactics if you watch matches on "Full", because:

a.) You know your players are making the "right" decisions from among the options you've asked them to take

b.) You know your players are on superb morale

c.) You know your players have the skill to pull off the move you've asked them to.

So if you're watching on full, and you notice that consistently, your DM/MCd doesn't have any forward options because everybody's hared off towards the opposition goal, so he keeps dumping it off to the fullbacks .. then you know you've got things set up wrong.

Starr_Man, I might be interested in playing that one, too: I'd been thinking of trying on purpose to "Get teamtalks wrong" with a team that's stupidly good, just to see how wrong it goes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's basically what I'm doing Amaroq - testing the games limits "Just to see"...

I'll not be on here boasting about how I won the league with Rochdale and scored 400 goals in 1 season , winning the League Cup, FA Cup and J.P Trophy along the way. (Well, maybe I'll try my luck icon_wink.gif)

Observing the players in the matches is great for the reasons you've listed there. They are good enough to do anything they are asked and I can SEE the difference my instructions make due to the huge gulf in class.

Like I said, there is little point in splitting hairs if it's impossible to see where they've been split...

I've long been a believer that you pay your money, and you play the game however you want to play. And, you're right - playing the game in a different extreme can give you some valuable insights into how it works.

I would disagree with one thing you said, though - I don't think that, in normal game play, reputation is nothing. Reputation determines what players want to come to your club in the first place, and that's important when you haven't started out with a completely revamped roster.

Glad to see you enjoying it, though. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif I'm saying nothing.

Anyway, interesting experiment and backs up what I've been saying all the long; the AI cannot and will not cheat you. You can win any game you go into by having the right combination of players, tactic, moral etc and you are never 'destined' to lose a match.

Good luck trying to keep hold of all those super-players next season, although even if they do leave you'll no doubt have a lot of cash to play with. Unfortunately you'll then have to rely on mainly your managerial skils icon_wink.gif

So it could be a bad season icon_biggrin.gif

Quite happy to see you used my home town club for your experiment. Unhappy to see it with a different name, but what the hell. It’s the only way ‘Rockerdale’ will beat Man U, unfortunately.

Just thought I’d let you know that since my most recent gripes, I’ve seemed to have stumbled upon a winning formula and have just completed the quad!!! No joke and no cheating. I wasn’t too far away from it in the first place and the key is in the ’TEAM MENTALITY’. If you can figure out how to use this, everything else falls into place.

I’m still not holding my breath and I’m just about ready for the new season. During ok in pre-season

So far. I’ll keep ppl informed if their interested.

Hope it all goes well Starman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Towelie:

Any chance of a DB upload? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I uploaded the save game on the fourth post to this thread if thats what you mean...

One thing I have noticed;

My players are picking up an awful lot of injuries in-game.

My own tackling is set to "Easy" and I can only assume that the oppo players (once they get onto the pitch) realize that they are far outclassed and set about kicking lumps out of my lads.

I'm assuming this because I've never had SO many in-match injuries, and my tackling is set to "Mixed" on all previous saves...

Quick note: I've played 23 matches so far and scored ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-THREE GOALS.

Averaging 8 goals per game.

Class icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Yet another thing I've just noticed is my Goalkeeper rating for the matches is completely off-the-wall.

I'll explain:

Just played Barnet and beat them 12-0 (Or was it 13-0?.....), anyway we had about 40 shots, 23 on target and scored a bucketful.

The full-time match ratings stated that all my players were AT LEAST 8, INCLUDING my 'Keeper.

They didn't even have ONE SHOT at goal, let alone on target.

How on earth did my 'keeper get EIGHT without doing anything?

Bizarre.

I usually do something similar for one game per FM life cycle. Basically, I take a Blue Square South or North team as it is, strip away the players and add a sugar daddy chairman.

Over the years you enjoy stacks of success, a few set backs (even with all the money in the world your Blue Square South side can only attract very poor players), expanded stadiums, groundshares and training facilities gradually moving from basic to the very best.

Can't say it's helped my knowledge of the game much, aside from the following:

- You may be able to outspend the rest of the league put together, but after every promotion you'll still be at least 40-1 outsiders for the title and be hot favourite to be relegated.

- For much of the season you can be scorching the league, but still be expected to lose to the club currently in 12th place.

- The chairman always has a spare £x million if you need it.

- When starting out, your money will attract top coaches but barely any league players.

- You'll get offered former Brazilian internationals despite them having a 0% chance of getting a work permit, and probably less of joining you.

- By the time you make it to League Two standards, it's easier to sign a great squad of rejected Premiership youngsters for regular wages than splashing out on higher league players that are out of favour.

- Teams rarely "park the bus" as they seem to think they're equal to you.

To the OP: all you have proved is that it is a day at the beach when there is a (massive) gulf in class between teams. Maybe if you were to try this at the highest leagues, or maybe champions league games, I doubt you would have the same resounding success though. Why don't you give it a try at the highest levels and tell us what you got?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by meriadoc:

To the OP: all you have proved is that it is a day at the beach when there is a (massive) gulf in class between teams. Maybe if you were to try this at the highest leagues, or maybe champions league games, I doubt you would have the same resounding success though. Why don't you give it a try at the highest levels and tell us what you got? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now tell me something I don't know....

Hey Starrman5,

I hope you don't mind, but I loaded your game and ran it until the end of the season, found out a few interesting things and learnt quite a bit about reputation, teamtalks etc.

I may run it as a holiday game for a few seasons and see where it ends up.

Don't want to hi-jack your thread so I won't go into detail, but thanks very much for sharing, I've found it interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaccaB:

Hey Starrman5,

I hope you don't mind, but I loaded your game and ran it until the end of the season, found out a few interesting things and learnt quite a bit about reputation, teamtalks etc.

I may run it as a holiday game for a few seasons and see where it ends up.

Don't want to hi-jack your thread so I won't go into detail, but thanks very much for sharing, I've found it interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Work away, that's what I uploaded it for.

icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Interesting stuff, and it backs up what I've found before.

I used the Bandits save to see if this worked at the highest level, and it does. You'll probably find that your players will stay as you've set their loyalty so high, as long as you negotiate the inevitable ten thousand bids up to 100m.

The trouble is, getting them to sign a new contract - they won't if your reputation isn't high enough. That said, if you win a cup this season (as you probably will), you'll be in Europe next season, and nothing beats that for a reputation boost.

How long a contract have all the players got? Enough to get you to the Champions League?

Having done this myself, I can answer a couple of people in the thread who doubt that it works at the highest level - it does. Of course you won't end the Premiership season with a perfect record, but you will be miles clear with even the most basic tactics. But it's a good proving ground for tactics - if a player is playing poorly in that environment (and by poorly, I mean regular 8s or less), then his tactics just don't suit him at all.

Nice work icon14.gif

We've just reached the January Transfer Window and my idiotic chairman (Who I MADE UP, I might add) has just sold four 1st-teamers as the bids were "Too good to refuse"..

The chairman loves the club, we already had a balance of £28M, no debts, flying high in the league (27 Straight wins approx. with 160-odd goal difference) in the final of the league cup and J.P Trophy, fourth round of the FA Cup.

He's just sold the club captain, the top scorer, the best defender and our out-of-this-world GK.

Stupid bastard.

I might just try again with a top-level club as I'd like to keep hold of players for at least a season.

I am actually fielding about 20 enquiries a day for my players.

This is really annoying me:

Players have an asking price set at the highest value, £50M.

Club makes enquiry, wanting to know how much I want for him.

Em, well, £50Million, obviously. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, in the transfer negotiation screen I can then say £100M + 50% sell-on clause.

They reject.

A week later the very same club enquires about the very same player, asking (again) how much I want.

Why do they think my valuation of the player has lowered in a week?

More to come....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robin_trott_hoof:

Max out the training and youth facilities, that way players you lose will be more than adequately replaced quickly enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had already thought that one through at the outset.

Training and youth facilities are both 20.

My coaches are all made-up and provide full 7-star training across the board.

I'm just devestated because the club captain he sold was ME. icon_frown.gif

Archived