Ridiculous minimum release fee clauses

I'm Spurs and I'm trying to sign Toni Silva(who I'd let go as Liverpool boss years ago, and was now dominating at Udinese). He had a release clause of about 11.5 million. I bid that, go to offer a contract, and he won't budge from that amount. I tried offering him and his agent more in every respect, but he wouldn't budge. It's ridiculous, what player on earth thinks a big team (we're 2nd in the league) is going to in a million years agree to that. I noticed it with Pastore as well, he got a 10.5 clause put in before I signed him for Liverpool, and wouldn't budge when I did. It's not realistic.

Only way to budge this is to offer the agent a bung.

However, consider that if he is happy at your club and doing well, he won't want to leave.

I am currently Man City and nobody bids for my players even though several players have £10m minimum releases.

Yh it can be annoying, although I had a world class argentinian cb who was so gd I had no choice but to accept the 12.5mil release clause he/the agent insisted on. It transpired that despite interest from big teams, no team actually bidded for him and when it came to renewal, he accepted its removal.

Try the non-negotiable option. I have just bought a Turkish regen who was doing the same wanting a minimum of 13m, managed to get him to take 23m using the option.

That's what I have been doing. I'll initially try and push it up without the non-negotiable option, but then I'll play hardball and say non negotiable. Even if I just push it up by a million or so, they refuse. It's not a case I think of negotiating, it's one of the game being faulty.

Archived