Is There a way to decrease player's salary

I think the new agent idea is a good addition, but I find it almost impossible to decrease player's salaries with this agent system. I am playing w/Besiktas. I tried to decrease Nihat's wage at the age of 33, but I couldn't have any luck to do that. He was earning 3.5 mil EU's/year. I try to offer him a contract w/ lower salary, but his agent wouldn't accept it. Whenever I check non-negotiable in a deal; players agent's quits the deal. After not recieving the offer he asked from me, and after not recieving any other offers from any other clubs; Nihat decides to think about retiring. Even after thinking of retirement, his agent wouldn't accept a lower deal. His agent opens the negotiations more higher then 3,5 mil. EU's/year every time. After not recieving the deal he wanted; he retires and now a coaching Liverpool for 42,500 EU/year. He could have sign one year contract w/ around 900.000 EU's/year w/me. In which case he lost 857.500 EU's. I mean how stupid can you be? According to his agent's calculations he lost much more than that because his agent was opening the negotiations around 4,5 mil EU's/year.

Another example: My first goalkeeper becomes my back-up after getting a better goalkeeper. And he wasn't playing for 2 seasons. I tried to offer him a lower wage with a back-up role, but no luck. I think he may want a better role, so I tried to offer him a lower wage with a rotation role. As you might guess no luck again. Guess what he became a free-agent, and he is a free agent for the last 6 months.

One more example: Same story w/ the goalkeeper example.This one is about my rotation right-back. I found better one, and want to offer him a contract w/ lower deal. He doesn't accept my 400.00 EU's/year. Then become a free agent, no need to enter talks w/me. And he signs w/lower rep club with a fee of 250.000 EU/ year.

I can give more examples, but players or agents don't seem to recognize that the player is getting older or the club is having better players in time. I can accept that they may want a better role. What I can't understand is even after giving a better role, they won't accept a lower deal from their former club, but they will sign any deal with another club. Even if the other club has lower reputitation.

or adding a larger sign on bonus or agent fee

I am trying to cut-down the expenses. I do this when I sign a new player or extend star players contract to keep the harmony of salaries. In my cases I am trying to cut down the expenses by lowering star back-up players contracts. If I give them higher sign on bonus, I would cut expenses in one end and increase at the other end. It wouldn't help me to cut the expenses.

Did you try giving him a slightly longer contract to go along with the lower salary? I've had some success doing it that way.

I tried this, but it doesn't help. Even sometimes agents want to have shorter contracts than I am offering to them. Also for some of my players I don't want to have longer contracts since they are over 30. However I tried this for my goalkeeper examples, but it wouldn't work. We had a big difference. His salary was 750k/year and I want to offer him something with 500k/year, but he was expecting around 1,6mil/year.

I can't imagine any player or agent would be happy to take a pay cut.

I agree with this. But at the end of the day player is either free-agent, retired or signs a contract for a lower fee than I offer him with a lower rep team. That shouldn't make them happy either should it?

If its a player your not planning on playing much, you can offer them a lower wage but a higher appearance fee.

I tried that, but no success. When I decrease the yearly wage, the agent then sets its again the amount he wants in negotiations. Then when I increase the appearence fee, the agent of course doesn't lower the appereance fee, but sets the wage again to the amount he wants. And once the negotiations brakes, next time they either come with the same demands or with higher demands.

I had players accepting lower eages, when they're dropping their abilities, but that was the OP's case with Nihat and it didn't work. I saw in another thread that you could try offering him lower wages and big appearance fees. This way you'll spend less on his wages and since he's getting old he won't play so often so his appearance fees won't be too much on your budget.

is the player happy where he is? happy players are more likely to sign deals for less money. praising good performances can improve happiness and improves their relationship with you. it might be a bit too effective but having a private chat after a poor performance (below 6.0) can make a player happier. recommending a future staff role, etc... these things if done right will make a player like their manager more and they should be more likely to agree to lesser terms.

as for the initial example with nihat. even if a player is getting older and his stats are decreasing, if he is playing a decent number of games there isn't much reason for him to accept less money. players move for pride. iirc joe cole accepepted terms with liverpool equal to what he was getting at chelsea, but left because chelsea would not offer more money. it might be a good wage but when his colleagues were earning a lot more in some cases he might not think it is fair.

Maybe try dropping the players squad status aswell, along with the lower wages and higher appearance fee. If you keep a player on the same status and try offering lower wages, theres no reason for him to accept. But if you make it clear to him via his squad status that he's not as important I think he would be more likely to accept lower pay. Dont expect drastic changes though.

is the player happy where he is? happy players are more likely to sign deals for less money. praising good performances can improve happiness and improves their relationship with you. it might be a bit too effective but having a private chat after a poor performance (below 6.0) can make a player happier. recommending a future staff role, etc... these things if done right will make a player like their manager more and they should be more likely to agree to lesser terms.

as for the initial example with nihat. even if a player is getting older and his stats are decreasing, if he is playing a decent number of games there isn't much reason for him to accept less money. players move for pride. iirc joe cole accepepted terms with liverpool equal to what he was getting at chelsea, but left because chelsea would not offer more money. it might be a good wage but when his colleagues were earning a lot more in some cases he might not think it is fair.

If it is a case of pride, it is fair enough. Nihat retired after not accepting a contract from me, and he is coaching Liverpool. I mean he lost atleast around 850k for his last year, but if it is a case of pride it is understandable.

Maybe try dropping the players squad status aswell, along with the lower wages and higher appearance fee. If you keep a player on the same status and try offering lower wages, theres no reason for him to accept. But if you make it clear to him via his squad status that he's not as important I think he would be more likely to accept lower pay. Dont expect drastic changes though.

I was froping the squad status when I was offering him a new contract. For the future cases I will lower the squad status before the new contract negotiations...

I am trying to cut-down the expenses. I do this when I sign a new player or extend star players contract to keep the harmony of salaries. In my cases I am trying to cut down the expenses by lowering star back-up players contracts. If I give them higher sign on bonus, I would cut expenses in one end and increase at the other end. It wouldn't help me to cut the expenses.

It actually could, quite dramatically. Think about it, ill use a scenario that happened with me last night. Player was on 1.5k a week, i re negotiated to 1.2k a week with a 2k sign on, over the year i save 15k on wages and it cost me a 2 k signing fee. Just because you need to pay out a fee you normally wouldnt doesnt mean that you are not cutting expenses.

Whilst trying to renegotiate with one of my main strikers, with AFC Telford and currently in League Two, the player and agent wage demands were way above what my club wage structure would or could allow. Every time, over the top demands and breakdown in negotiations.

Having noticed that I had him as "indispensable", I decided to reduce his status to "rotation" and try again. His demands were then only a little over the salary cap for "rotation" status but much lower than he was asking as "indispensable", so I negotiated them down and he accepted.

I think that obviously it's easier to get players to come to the club when offering them a more attractive squad status, but once they're there, it's worth reducing their status before you begin contract renewal negotiations. Mostly now, my players are all "rotation" status or "important" at most.

It actually could, quite dramatically. Think about it, ill use a scenario that happened with me last night. Player was on 1.5k a week, i re negotiated to 1.2k a week with a 2k sign on, over the year i save 15k on wages and it cost me a 2 k signing fee. Just because you need to pay out a fee you normally wouldnt doesnt mean that you are not cutting expenses.

This is what I am trying to explain. I am offering new contracts at their last year, but if I offer them higher signing on fees to lower their salary, I wouldn't accomplish my goal. The aim is to cut down expenses.

It was much easier without the agents. I can understand; if their agents could find better deal elsewhere. However with the new negotiation system; it is harder for us(managers) to lower the wages. Also players are not getting better deals as well. It is no good for both clubs and players. Then what is the point of having agents. There should be an additional features with the new system such as if the agents can't get better deal elsewhere, and if the same agent broke down the negotiations with the former club; the player should fire his agent, and should come with a new agent, with a lower requests to his former club.

Whilst trying to renegotiate with one of my main strikers, with AFC Telford and currently in League Two, the player and agent wage demands were way above what my club wage structure would or could allow. Every time, over the top demands and breakdown in negotiations.

Having noticed that I had him as "indispensable", I decided to reduce his status to "rotation" and try again. His demands were then only a little over the salary cap for "rotation" status but much lower than he was asking as "indispensable", so I negotiated them down and he accepted.

I think that obviously it's easier to get players to come to the club when offering them a more attractive squad status, but once they're there, it's worth reducing their status before you begin contract renewal negotiations. Mostly now, my players are all "rotation" status or "important" at most.

Well I will bear this on my mind. However doesn't it kill the realism? I mean Drogba, Crisitano Ronaldo, Messi or an indispensiable player IRL wouldn't buy this. If you tell an indispensible palyer that he is a rotation player, and offer him a contract he will not buy the deal for sure.

On the other hand I can't sign a player with a lower fee where the player's squad status actually changes. I think the new negotiation system should be tweaked.

This is what I am trying to explain. I am offering new contracts at their last year, but if I offer them higher signing on fees to lower their salary, I wouldn't accomplish my goal. The aim is to cut down expenses.

I think you are looking at the wrong way. You need to look at your overall expenses. Look at my example, I saved 13,000 pounds by paying out 2,000! Surely you can understand this, i know you are saying that you want to cut expenses in all areas but the fact is you pretty much cant, you need to offer the player some kind of incentive to lower his wage. Noone who had a player say, "Ill play for 13 thousand pound a year less if you give me 2 thousand now" would say no.

Can you not see how doing this would reduce your outgoings?

I think you are looking at the wrong way. You need to look at your overall expenses. Look at my example, I saved 13,000 pounds by paying out 2,000! Surely you can understand this, i know you are saying that you want to cut expenses in all areas but the fact is you pretty much cant, you need to offer the player some kind of incentive to lower his wage. Noone who had a player say, "Ill play for 13 thousand pound a year less if you give me 2 thousand now" would say no.

Can you not see how doing this would reduce your outgoings?

Yes I understand it, but in my Nihat example; I was paying 3,5 mil EU's/year. Obviously he was asking more than 3,5mil/year, and a hefty sign on fees+for his agent. I was going to offer him around 1mil EU/year, and I was going to keep him only for one more year. IMO he would only accept 1 mil EU/year, if I offer him a sign on fee around 1 mil EU/year. I can't remember, but his agent was asking around 500k for himself. So in total 2,5 mil EU for one more year. It wasn't worthed for a 33 years old Nihat, because his physical attributes droped drastically in his last year. If it was in old negotiations system I could have sign him for 1mil EU/year plus only around 250k signing on fees for him. When it comes to sign a new contract players don't recocnize they are older or they don't recognize their squad status change with the new negotiation system. And at the end they either retire or sign a lower deal with a lower rep clubs.

Yes I understand it, but in my Nihat example; I was paying 3,5 mil EU's/year. Obviously he was asking more than 3,5mil/year, and a hefty sign on fees+for his agent. I was going to offer him around 1mil EU/year, and I was going to keep him only for one more year. IMO he would only accept 1 mil EU/year, if I offer him a sign on fee around 1 mil EU/year. I can't remember, but his agent was asking around 500k for himself. So in total 2,5 mil EU for one more year. It wasn't worthed for a 33 years old Nihat, because his physical attributes droped drastically in his last year. If it was in old negotiations system I could have sign him for 1mil EU/year plus only around 250k signing on fees for him. When it comes to sign a new contract players don't recocnize they are older or they don't recognize their squad status change with the new negotiation system. And at the end they either retire or sign a lower deal with a lower rep clubs.

Some older players will (i admit rarely) gladly accept a lower wage when entering contract negotiations without it even having to be negotiated. It has happened to me before and it can happen if the agent has a good relationship with you, and the player really loves you/club.

Archived