Paying tribute to outgoing players

In Football Manager (Please, please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think there is currently any way to pay tribute to outgoing players.

I would love to be able to do this. For example I have Silvain Distin retiring at 37. I would love to be able to pay tribute to his commitment and help in developing the young players at the club. Tim Cahill is also retiring at 34/35 as a true legend of the club. I'd love to be able to say he's one of the best players the club ever had and thank him for all his effort etc.

I agree. There's currently nothing you can do, unfortunately.

As trivial as it is, I'd like to give a club legend a testimonial in pre-season. If this is meant to be a football simulator, then obviously testimonials should be in it.

I suppose you could create a summer tournament and name it after them, but of course they wouldn't know or care that you've created a tournament in their honour.

I agree. There's currently nothing you can do, unfortunately.

As trivial as it is, I'd like to give a club legend a testimonial in pre-season. If this is meant to be a football simulator, then obviously testimonials should be in it.

I suppose you could create a summer tournament and name it after them, but of course they wouldn't know or care that you've created a tournament in their honour.

This is what i do.

I would like testimonials and lots of options. Things like:

- The ability to call up former teammates or buddies of the player - even if they are retired, or doing staff roles (some managers may refuse to let their players leave for a testimonial which will allow further player interaction moments). Would be fun to see this player's mentor, a 60-year-old manager, take to the pitch and get stretchered off with cramp after 2 minutes

- The ability to do testimonial-related tactics (i.e. player plays 45 minutes for each side)

- Standing ovations when he takes to the pitch or leaves it

- Dubious penalty decisions for an excuse to score a goal

- Giving the player a chance to choose how the testimonial will be, or perhaps he will let you decide what is best for the team (i.e. Solskjaer wanted a testimonial that benefited the team, so we arranged to play Espanyol)

- The ability to put testimonial clauses in contracts (i.e. "You can leave, but we would like to hold a testimonial for you when you retire.") - and the ability to arrange testimonials on an ad-hoc basis

- The ability to arrange testimonials for players who simply reach landmarks - i.e. Giggs had his testimonial when he was 31 or something

- The ability to arrange testimonials for former players who are retiring from football altogether - i.e. they are retiring from their staff roles

- If the player in question has a son, then perhaps bring him on for his father and get the appropriate response

It's not just testimonials, of course. I would like former players to phone back home occasionally, or comment on how their former manager was so awesome and he owes him a lot to credit his development, for example.

Archived