1 shot, 1 goal

As much as I wish that stat was in favour of my team, it's not.

In roughly 70% of the matches I play, the opponent's first goal is their first shot on target. Is my 4 star keeper really that rubbish?

Meanwhile, my team can quite easily get through 8 shots on target without registering a goal.

My team aren't great, admittedly, so I would imagine that that it's a pretty huge flaw in the match engine that SI aren't too interested in fixing - seeing as I've been experiencing it for the past 5 editions of FM.

Oh, and don't say it's my tactics. I fail to see how my potent opponents, or my wasteful strikers, could possibly be a result of my tactics. I create enough chances and defend well enough, so there should be no problem.

What am I meant to do?

Edit: title should say "1 shot on target", rather than just "one shot".

well tweak the player instructions, change the training schedual for the team or individual player. Maybe get a player with better finishing and concentration. Also do the same with your defenders. Its not your tactics HOWEVER you obviously need to tweak player instructions or maybe close down oppenents, play man on man instead of whatever you are playing as.

Ignore stats like this. Look at Everton's win at Manchester City earlier in the year. Something daft like 30 shots for City versus 3 for Everton and Everton won 2-0.

Ignore shots on target?

It's happened in pretty much every game for the past 7 seasons though.

My strikers will be clean through time after time, only for them to either kick it straight at the goalkeeper or knock it wide.

The game is obviously trying to tell me something, but what is it? Is it my striker who my coaches rate as 4.5/5 stars and has great attributes? Can't be. Is it my tactics? I would think not seeing as I'm creating so many chances and giving my opponents few opportunities. The only thing I could think of that could be causing it is a really poor match engine.

I would also happily offer sexual favours to my players for them to stop shooting from outside the box. They never score, so why do they do it? I've seen someone suggest that long shots are a result of forwards not making themselves available for a pass, but I've got 3 strikers, two of whom are poachers, with the other being a 'run on to' target man. I've put all their long shot settings down to 'rarely' and had words with them only to get laughable replies, such as:

"OK, sounds good, boss. I'll give it a go" That would be a perfectly fine response if it wasn't for the fact that he didn't actually try at all. I think Yoda put it best when he said 'Do or do not. There is no try'.

"I don't think it will benefit my game" Yes it will. You've never scored a long shot in your life.

and last but not least

"At this stage in my career, I'd rather just focus on playing without working on individual aspects of my game" Why can't you concentrate on playing, but remember to limit your long shots. Is it really that difficult?

Even if one of my players did accept that I know best, it'd still take them about 3 months to learn how to stop taking long shots.

I think I'm going to start saving before matches and replaying them when I lose unjustly, as much as I don't want to. It's what I deserve after 7 years of my players kicking the ball at goalkeepers or into Row Z.

I brought Yaya Sanogo every time he got the ball he'd run 30 yards skin 3 people n blast the ball wide or at the keeper so i put his creativity up 2 clicks and his attacking down 2 clicks n told him to run with the ball less hoping it would give him less of a one track mind n it worked he still misses sitters but nowhere near as many.....

Every player needs different instruction if you want to get the most out of them what works for Rooney might not work for Drogba............... Hope this helps...

I think I'm going to start saving before matches and replaying them when I lose unjustly, as much as I don't want to. It's what I deserve after 7 years of my players kicking the ball at goalkeepers or into Row Z.

What does that mean? Replay every game where you have more shots than them until you win? I trust you make sure you lose the games you have less shots in.

I agree with some of your points, however it's part of the game. AI players also miss chances, watch a real life match and see how many chances can be missed, Wayne Rooney and Keith Fahey both missed from almost on the goalline, in FM it would've looked pretty ridiculous but then you see that and how realistic it actually is. Arsenal usually create a ton of clear chances and score very few relatively speaking.

I don't think I'm an FM tactical genius but the long shot thing I haven't had much problem with personally, all of my players are on long shots rarely, sometimes there is some stupidness where common sense needs to be employed where a world class forward lays off a free kick to a CB for a 30 yard silly shot inexplicably. I'm also playing as Juventus albeit in 2028 but I have my forward players with Run with ball often, if your players are good dribblers you can try that if you haven't already, seems to encourage them to dribble closer to goal for a better chance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9368913.stm

Hearts beat champions rangers 1-0 yesterday. Hearts had one shot on target, rangers Had eleven. These sorts of things happen in reality, so accusing the game of lacking realism when it happens in-game makes little sense

Very true it happens all the time just look at the Birmingham V Chelsea game earlier this season

I just wanna add me 2 pence worth. I think it is quite realistic as people have said. It has happened to me I have been dominating a game but then the opposition have one shot and they score, it is very frustrating. But it evens it self out over time, see link.

I'm Rangers.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8765/picture1ih.png

It's only a friendly but still.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2510/picture2me.png

It's swings and roundabouts.

As people have mentioned, games like this happen in real life fairly often. Saying that, if it is happening on a regular basis then you really need to look at your tactics/players to work out why it is happening.

This might not sound too helpful, but I always design tactics to score goals, not to create CCCs or shots on target. Sometimes by slowing things down, mixing the attacks up and counter attacking, the quality of the chances are a lot better, resulting in a much better strike rate. Looking at my recent games, I roughly average a goal for every CCC and a goal for every other shot on target.

Ignore stats like this. Look at Everton's win at Manchester City earlier in the year. Something daft like 30 shots for City versus 3 for Everton and Everton won 2-0.

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it didn't happen a lot of the times. You can get the rare type of game like this, but when my Liverpool side manage to have 20 shots in a game most of the time, but struggle to actually hit the target, never mind score is frustrating. Probably my tactics in letting Gerrard shoot from long range in truth, but you'd expect better.

To be fair, this happens to the player as well as the AI. A couple of examples (I'm Gloucester, SOT in brackets):

Gloucester 2 (1) - Rushden 1 (1)

Histon 0 (1) - Gloucester 2 (2)

Crawley 1 (1) - Gloucester 1 (3)

Bath 2 (1) - Gloucester 2 (4)

Gloucester 2 (1) - Cambridge 0 (0)

------

Several games with more goals than SOTs for both me and the AI :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9368913.stm

Hearts beat champions rangers 1-0 yesterday. Hearts had one shot on target, rangers Had eleven. These sorts of things happen in reality, so accusing the game of lacking realism when it happens in-game makes little sense

Understandable. One question......were all of rangers' shots right down the middle and at the keeper? :rolleyes:

Exactly, Tony. Of course it happens in real life. There's little point in giving me one off examples. Own goals happen in real life too. No team scores 15 own goals a season though (I won't include the ones that the game engine incorrectly regards as own goals)

As I said, people can either choose to believe me or not. 70% may be slight hyperbole, but it's probably over 50% of their first shots on target which result in goals.

For example, if you look at my newly created threads about kit colours, you'll see that I'm 3-0 down at Palermo with them having 4 shots on goal, and yes, their first shot on target was a goal. I lost 6-0 with them having 8 shots on target.

If I have 8 shots on target, I'll be lucky to win 1-0.

I'm not going to go round printscreening every time my opponents score their first shot on target, am I? Well, actually, I was going to before I'd accidentally overwritten the printscreen I got of Sampdoria doing it with the printscreen I took of Milan doing it. You'll just have to take my word for it.

For example, if you look at my newly created threads about kit colours, you'll see that I'm 3-0 down at Palermo with them having 4 shots on goal, and yes, their first shot on target was a goal. I lost 6-0 with them having 8 shots on target.

tbh, this just sounds like you're gifting your opponents easy chances, while not creating anything decent of your own.

I'm creating loads of chances where my players are through one on one with the keeper, yet either kick it straight at him or kick it wide.

I was playing with my own tactic for 5 seasons, and thought that may have been the problem. I downloaded a successful tactic from the tactic forum on here that loads of people have reported as being successful, but my players are still missing the same chances. 'He'll be kicking himself for missing that', 'How did he miss that??' and 'Oh dear, oh dear'. I hear those commentary lines about 5 times every match.

My first team players are all rated 3.5/5 to 4.5/5. My star striker is 4.5/5.

I'm pretty sure Ishamael Miller, who has an absurd scoring record against my Forest team, is not better than my striker. Yet, if I'm playing West Brom, he'll always chip in with a couple of goals while my strikers will pass the ball to their keeper, or the guy in Row Z.

It's happened at every club I've been at in FM11. I think the problem is that the match engine gives you an unrealistic amount of chances. If it didn't give me an unrealistic amount, I wouldn't be missing an unrealistic amount, and there'd be no need for complaining.

Sadly I agree with the original post entirely.

I'm playing as AFC Uckfield, having started at Level 10 (it was SuperBladesman's data file but it's since been taken over, apologies for not remembering who it is that's now under control). My team is far, far superior to any in my division, in fact a lot of my players would be good League 2 players, according to my scout, and I'm currently in the Ryman 1st Division.

I've tried an array of tactics (both my own and those posted on here) and player-wise I seriously do have an embarrassment of riches - I'm 1/3 (odds) at the most for any league game and can name pretty much any 11 all of the same high standard, regardless of injures etc.

When I compare the spider-diagram things of my players and my opposition it's ridiculous. Suggesting it's my 'tactics' or that it needs 'tweaking' is ridiculous and unrealistic.Were the players of a similar standard to the opposition then yes, possibly. But when my striker could technically player 4 divisions up, limiting his creative freedom or whatever shouldn't make any difference at all.

I've got Elliot Parish in goal (Aston Villa reserves - again, I'm Tier 8 at the moment) and he lets in almost every shot on target.

The fact that everyone seems aware it's a common problem over the last few instalments suggests it IS a pattern built into the game and not an error on the part of those playing it

As much as I wish that stat was in favour of my team, it's not.

In roughly 70% of the matches I play, the opponent's first goal is their first shot on target. Is my 4 star keeper really that rubbish?

Meanwhile, my team can quite easily get through 8 shots on target without registering a goal.

My team aren't great, admittedly, so I would imagine that that it's a pretty huge flaw in the match engine that SI aren't too interested in fixing - seeing as I've been experiencing it for the past 5 editions of FM.

Oh, and don't say it's my tactics. I fail to see how my potent opponents, or my wasteful strikers, could possibly be a result of my tactics. I create enough chances and defend well enough, so there should be no problem.

What am I meant to do?

Edit: title should say "1 shot on target", rather than just "one shot".

hi, just thought i add, that i'm going through something like this on my game (or shall we say games) just cant manage to get into a decent save without something stupid happening.

for instance in about 3 of my saves, in the first couple of matches, i would be forced to finish each match with 9 men due to injuries,one of the games included 4 of my players being forced off the pitch by the same player on there team without even getting a yellow card.

and the shots i have on goal is stupid, most games i have about 20 shots on goal,3 shots on target and thoughs 3 shots are clear cut chances but always seem to be straight at the keeper,then they have a defenders with **** stats in dribbling,creativity,flair and longshots but manage to dribble past half my team and score from 40 yards out, this has happened in everyone of my saves, but after all this i still love this game and will keep trying haha.

Totally agree, woodx and Mike. Injuries were a joke for me at Nottingham Forest. I'd have about 20 players needing to be subbed off in the first halves of games every season.

Sigh, as I was replying to your post, I just had a match against FC Copenhagen. What an opportune time for it to happen again, although it's not exactly unexpected.

otDNy.png

Oh, and look, as I continue the game, they score yet another goal with their next shot on target.

v2M1q.png

I ended up losing 3-1, despite me having 7 shots on target (12 overall) to their 3.

i'v just started another new game, with liverpool, still **** luck though, bought fernando lorient (spelling:( ) and also fabio countreo (and again) and in my first game, which is a friendly against genk, fernando is injured in the first 8 minutes of the game, then against all the odds fabio follows but lasts a little longer at 33 minutes

And I have people telling me that "it happens", "you're making it up" and "it's your tactics"?

I mean honestly, what am I meant to do?

BopTr.png

Don't only look at shots on target or clear cut chances. You got a total of 15 shots, 4 of them long shots, so 11 "normal" shots. Atletico had 12 shots minus 2 long shots, that 10. Also, 4 of your shots were blocked versus 2 of Atletico. If you look at the analysis tag, so can see the amount of clear cut chances and half chances. That's were you should be looking at. It is still possible that you mess up more chances then your opponents, if this is the case you can do three things: a) cry b) save/restart games for matches you lost c) look at your tactic instructions, teamtalk and motivation during the match and ask on this forum what might be going wrong.

I've changed my tactic to the most successful one I could find in the tactics forum (sherica 433.v2), and although I'm winning more matches, I've still got the same old problems.

I know it probably is my tactics, for some absurd reason. That's my point. The game engine is making my opponents score almost every shot they get on goal because of my tactics. It's not at all realistic, but that's what is apparently happening.

An easy home game against Udinese to go top:

UHbLm.png

Or maybe not.

If you look at number of fouls , you were constantly committing way more then the opposition.It means that your players are getting caught out of position constantly, thus other side's chances are , most likely of, higher quality then yours.Most of the other stats(not counting shots statistics) are really not that much of difference between you and opponent, minus ones that i am mentioning bellow.

Other thing would be , based on numbers of throw ins, crossing percentages and offside , it looks like you are mostly pushing attacking thru middle and leaving sides fairly undefended.

I do have to agree with the OP, it happens a heck of a lot in this game. I also agree that it does happen in real life.

What annoys me the most about it is, that 99% of the time after dominating the game and losing by one goal, the message displayed after the winning goal is scored is "That's his first goal of the season" or "That's his first ever goal for the club".

I just sit there waiting for the comment now, I know it's coming.

Exactly, Tony. Of course it happens in real life. There's little point in giving me one off examples. Own goals happen in real life too. No team scores 15 own goals a season though (I won't include the ones that the game engine incorrectly regards as own goals)

As I said, people can either choose to believe me or not. 70% may be slight hyperbole, but it's probably over 50% of their first shots on target which result in goals.

I'm not going to go round printscreening every time my opponents score their first shot on target, am I? Well, actually, I was going to before I'd accidentally overwritten the printscreen I got of Sampdoria doing it with the printscreen I took of Milan doing it. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Interesting that you have admitted the exaggeration on 70% atually being just over 50%!

Okay, so the opposition scores their first chance every other game is what you are saying? What standard is your team for the league you are in? If you are one of the better teams in the league playing attacking football, it could be that their first chance is actually a very good chance because they are employing counter-attacking tactics and catching your team out too far up the pitch, while your 7 or 8 shots without a goal is against a very tight, well-organised defence because they are trying to shut you out.

This would suggest you need to play less attacking tactics, maybe a control strategy where you build up play patiently and try to work the ball into the box, without committing too many players forward in case they counter you.

It's hard to give much advice based on just Shots on Target, it would help to know exactly how you are conceding these goals.

That's actually a very good point. My tactic is overload from the word go, so you're right - them hitting me on the counter attack could be what's giving them better chances. Saying that, the game engine isn't showing them getting better chances. I'm the one with the hoards of shots that go straight at the keeper or wide, from seemingly easy chances.

I don't seem to remember conceding so many goals from so few chances when my tactic was counter attacking, now that I think about it. They still got pretty much the same amount of clear cut chances though, if I remember correctly. Of course, I could go back to that tactic, but my current one appears to be more successful.

I just wish SI would make the match engine give a better representation of what is actually happening on the pitch. If their goals are a result of something I'm doing wrong, I want the match engine to show it. As I said before, with the current match engine I have no idea what my problem is. If it did give a better graphical representation, then adapting to the challenge would be so much easier. I have no idea what to do if my team are conceding 25 yard shots all the time.

Try closing down players with high long shots, either using the player instructions or the opposition instructions.

this.

if they are pinging in 25 yards, then it means they are in acres of spaces and need to be closed out of the game, if the long ranger shooter is one moving into space before firing, ie he is getting setup from a pass from behind, you need to track his runs by tightly marking him

Hate to say it but if you are getting a lot of shots but scoring very little, it's tactical. It can be cured by tactics. I find the most common issue is to do with the pace of your game and using shout-outs. EG, I find if I'm 30 mins in with 10 shots but no goals, the shout-out "Work ball into box" to be the best. There are other solutions to other situations, so that's just one scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently on an 8 games winless streak, and I know the reason - my team's inability to score clear cut chances.

In those 8 games, I've had 26 clear cut chances, and my opponents have had 13. If my last 8 games were just one really big game, I'd have lost 12-5. And even then, at least 2 of those 5 shots weren't clear cut chances.

My strikers are all rated as 3.5 out of five stars or more, so what's the problem?

If you have created 26 clear cut chances and have only scored 5 times then they don't sound very clear cut!

Personally, I'd ignore this stat and concentrate on creating a tactic that scores goals rather than creates 'clear cut chances'. What sort of chances does your tactic create? Are your strikers missing similar chances regularly or are they missing a wide variety of chances?

They're being put through clean on goal and just kicking it at the goalkeeper or knocking it wide. I've even seen them miss chances when they simply needed to roll the ball into the net. I also hit the woodwork an absurd amount of times.

It looks like I'll have to change my tactic again. :(

Why people do defend SI no matter what its clearly a ME malfunction and should be fixed asap.Game right now is horrible with target and big man being bugged winger crossing to the other winger rather than strikers and CCC conversion ratio is worst of all and from what i see is mostly for the player and not so often for the AI.

Why people do defend SI no matter what its clearly a ME malfunction and should be fixed asap.Game right now is horrible with target and big man being bugged winger crossing to the other winger rather than strikers and CCC conversion ratio is worst of all and from what i see is mostly for the player and not so often for the AI.

Weird CCC conversion rates are probably cause by certain tactics, which is why you don't see the AI suffering. I don't suffer from it either, which is why I was trying to give advice.

I agree it could well be linked to a weakness in the AI though. Maybe strikers should be scoring a lot more often when clean through on goal, but on the other hand should it be that easy to send them through so often? I'd rather see people struggling to send their strikers clean through but scoring when they do than managing to send them through with ease and missing too many chances.

You choose to blame the game but fail to mention that conversion of chances in general is very similar to real life statistics.

Rather than expecting strikers to score all the time you would do well to watch some real football with an open mind and see how often real players miss.

You choose to blame the game but fail to mention that conversion of chances in general is very similar to real life statistics.

Rather than expecting strikers to score all the time you would do well to watch some real football with an open mind and see how often real players miss.

I think u should watch more footbal and see that one specific team cannot miss 80 % CCCs 24/7.

I think u should watch more footbal and see that one specific team cannot miss 80 % CCCs 24/7.

They don't record CCCs in real life, which I think is where I think the problems lie. If you are missing 80% of the CCCs you've probably realised that they are not really that clear cut, more like off chances. I suspect the algorithm for the CCCs involves something to do with the number of defenders close to the striker, rather than the actual likelihood of him scoring, which could be why there is so much confusion.

I'm not a fan of the CCC stat, as you've probably guessed. I like to ignore it and create tactics that create a wide variety of chances, judging the succcess on how many I score and how many I win. This results in a decent conversion rate of about a goal per CCC, but not too many CCCs, which I am happy with.

Archived