Number of appearances needed to gain a nationality?

Hey guys,

about two seasons ago I bought a promising young 17 year old player for my Austrian lower league club, hoping that he'd soon gain the Austrian nationality and help me advance into the Bundesliga within the next few years. The reason why I chose him despite being a foreign national is his long stay in the country, because as of now he spent 3008 days in Austria which means he moved there when he was about 11 yo long before he began his football career. His current nationality status is "Needs more appearances for this club" which is really strange, because he's the best of my rotation players having started in 37 and played in four more games so far. Furthermore he's had two prior clubs in Austria with a total of 19 appearances, bringing his total matches played in the country to over 50.

Now I'm a little bit stumped and I'd rather know as soon as possible for how long he will have to wait for his second nationality. If he won't receive it within the next year, then I'll need to sell him since the Austrian Erste Liga only allows 3 foreign players above the age of 21 in the match squad.

I've tried searching the forums and also via google but I've only found a list of days a player has to reside at a club/in a nation to gain the nationality, but are there other undocumented requirements that must be fulfilled?

This is real life, no idea in the game:

You need to pass a citizenship test, as well as fulfilling the length of stay requirements. The test is different in each province. In general you should pass if you've not been completely ghetto-ised for your entire stay and have picked up German etc. You must also have resided in the country (without breaks) for at least 10 years. If he's only been there 6 years, he's still a way off (doesn't it say how many more days on his profile?)

Thanks for your response. To gain the Austrian nationality the game expects you to be in the country for 1825 days, whereas my player has already spent 3068 days. The length of his stay isn't an issue and that's why I asked about other (possibly undocumented) requirements. I have no idea about the citizenship test or anything like that, in the past I can only remember waiting for the paperwork to come through once the number of days has been reached.

Archived