I tell my players to drill crosses but they just refuse to...

I've realised in this game, low cross and pullbacks are far more likely to go in that headers which usually go over, so I tell my players to go to the byline and drill the ball instead of float

But so often, with men in the box who can easily tap it in, they just lob it in instead of just putting it in along the floor

there must be a way? Is there a way to disipline players for not following instructions? Coz there should be....

Well, the cross instructions only define where your players will generally aim crosses, rather than the kind of crosses that will be put in. So 'drill crosses' means that crosses will be aimed at the near post, 'float crosses' means that they will be aimed at the far post, and the default means that they will be aimed at the middle of the box. The wording is a little misleading but it does sort of make sense: most far post crosses will naturally be high whereas near post crosses can be lower. They won't necessarily always be, though.

Secondly, where are your players crossing from? If they're crossing from deep, or from anywhere other than the by-line, then the crosses will be higher to avoid defenders.

And thirdly, do you have anyone attacking the near post when your player crosses? If not, there's no point in the player aiming there!

Finally, a lot will depend on the level of creative freedom you give your players, and how good their crossing, technique, vision, decisions are etc.

Well, the cross instructions only define where your players will generally aim crosses, rather than the kind of crosses that will be put in. So 'drill crosses' means that crosses will be aimed at the near post, 'float crosses' means that they will be aimed at the far post, and the default means that they will be aimed at the middle of the box. The wording is a little misleading but it does sort of make sense: most far post crosses will naturally be high whereas near post crosses can be lower. They won't necessarily always be, though.

Secondly, where are your players crossing from? If they're crossing from deep, or from anywhere other than the by-line, then the crosses will be higher to avoid defenders.

And thirdly, do you have anyone attacking the near post when your player crosses? If not, there's no point in the player aiming there!

Finally, a lot will depend on the level of creative freedom you give your players, and how good their crossing, technique, vision, decisions are etc.

That's a flawless post. There's no more for me to stay.

Archived