What do you do when pre match talks say that a team does well against your formation?

I have never changed formation in 5 years on my current game. It might make a difference but it's not a massive issue depending on how resilient your tactic is.

One thing I do notice though is how I perform against certain teams. For example I couldn't seem to beat Wolves, despite being massively better than them. So I just moved a couple of players into slightly different positions and changed their roles. That did the trick.

I personally wouldn't recommend changing your formation because of the opposition unless its another tactic you know works well with your players and one you've got them very familiar with on the match preparation screen.

Depends... if I think that one of my other prepared formations is the right choice for this game, I'll switch to it. But I'd probably have done that anyway, if I thought it was the right choice for the game.

My experience is generally that certain formations are weak or strong against other formations. So I'll be more likely to change things when facing a 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 say, than the ubiquitous 4-4-2 I normally face.

And on that subject - if my ass man says that the current league leaders do well against 4-4-2, that doesn't necessarily mean much. If 20/24 teams in the league play 4-4-2, it stands to reason that the league leaders have performed well against teams using the formation. That's what makes you top of the league, playing well against the other teams.

Archived