insufficient salary available to sign GK coach!

I'm working under a budget in MLS with Philadelphia Union. My GK coach accepted a position elsewhere, for which I was compensated, but I can't replace him. Tons of fine coaches balk at any salary below 475/wk and I can only offer 425/wk. Will this change once my club gets rolling financially? Should I hire a player/gk-coach, taking up the roster slot? I also can't seem to petition the board regarding any of this.

Anyone else having similar problems or know of a solution?

How can you offer 475/450 pw and discover that they refuse? Do you mean that's their last offer and they won't budge?

If you've not offered less then they're asking for, do that. What they want is not the same as what they'll accept.

However, finding coaches willing to accept the wages you can afford is a royal PITA. When I search and ask my ass man to filter out unrealistic candidates, I still have guys wanting 1000s pw when I can offer 200.

thanks. In contract negotiations, they begin with a high number (~700-900/wk) and I low-ball them, but over repeated back-and-forths, they never budge below 475pw and my board won't authorize anything above 425pw. I'm new to the game, so it may be that I need to wait for our finances to change, but it seems ridiculous that I'm approved to hire a GK coach but can't afford ANY. I don't think this is a bug, because the max offer salary has increased from 375pw, but meanwhile I lose my old GK coach, who was making more than 425pw, securing a profit/transfer kitty for the club, and can't hire any other coach for the same price.

I didnt think that staff wages came out of the wage budget?

Yes, my sense is that there is some nebulous other kitty that controls operational costs, including coach's salaries. Where does the cost of an agent's signing fee come from? I'm just wondering if I should have renegotiated my own salary for peanuts to open up cash to buy a better staff (or in this case, even a warm body).

I don't know about MLS, but I'm playing in England and started in the Blue Square North (i.e. the sixth tier and lowest playable level in England by default). I was generally able to offer coaches between 150 - 220 pw.

I found that I basically had to go to the staff search, ask my ass man to filter out unrealistic targets (these are the guys that won't sign for any amount of cash).

Then I sorted them all by determination, looked who had good motivating and discipline skills, and went through all of the better guys, offering them all a contract to see what they want. Every now and then there are a few gems with great (relative, of course) attributes and who don't want loads of moolah.

Anyone who started out with demands of around 300ish I added a note for with details on how much they want (in your case I guess 600 or so). Once I'd filtered out the guys that had both decent attributes and non-excessive wage demands, I offered contracts to the best of the bunch. You can access them all from your notes quickly if you do it this way; unfortunately you can't have a staff shortlist.

Unfortunately, this whole procedure takes an hour or so. Hence royal PITA.

It would be lovely if the option to filter out unrealistic targets also included those with exorbitant wage demands. As an aside, my backroom staff keep advising me to sign so and so as a coach. Most of their suggestions are for terrible coaches, but what's more annoying is that all of the coaches want about 10 times more than the maximum I'm allowed to spend. These guys should obviously never get recommended in the first place, as you'll never sign them and looking at them is just a waste of time. Hopefully this gets looked at in future. Hell, it would be great if there was a column that displayed the coaches initial wage demands to save us getting RSI from clicking on offer contract for 109203092 people.

Yes, these are great strategies, and it may be that if I find somebody crappy enough, I can sign them under the current wage constraints.

My beef is really that I no longer am able to hire a coach at the same salary as the one I just had, and so far, I haven't been able to find anyone who would accept the salary that my board is stipulating. This is making me wonder if different financial considerations are coming into play - and makes me wonder how I might change them.

I'm pretty close to getting a coach (475pw vs 425pw) and I'd hate to jump through hoops to get a crappy coach, if there's something I can do or if I can be patient and get a better one.

It doesn't seem that I can petition the board to increase wage pool for STAFF rather than players: I can just ask for more of them.

When you start the game, the board limits on coaches and wages are often less than what the club actually already has. For example, I had 4 coaches, but was only allowed 2. I therefore didn't fire any of them, despite them being awful, as I'd just have less coaches that were not much better if I fired all 4 and hired 2 new ones. Not worth it when you factor in the severance pay and the fact that 2 coaches will perform worse than 4. You may also be suffering from this issue, which will hopefully be looked at - it has been raised several times before.

The next season, I just bit the bullet and signed the crappier coaches that I could afford. Almost any coach is better than none when you only have a couple. Depending on the number of coaches you have and open positions, you might not actually need a GK coach though, as your other coaches can train goalkeepers as well. I've sometimes found that I can hire better goalkeeping coaches as "coaches" than I can as "goalkeeping coaches". In fact, that's the problem I currently have: none of the decent GK coaches want to sign for me, so I've signed other coaches that coach the keepers instead.

Yes. This is a mess. Unsignable coaches should be considered unrealistic gets by your assistant manager. And you should be able to petition the board to increase its player/coach max wage.

On the second point there's been times I'm far away from my total wage budget but I have the opportunity to sign a great player or staff member, but my board has capped my offer insufficiently low enough to get my new star in

Archived