your worst mistake

I was just woundering what everyones worst mistakes are on fm. mine would have to be loaning out sergio mota to Olypiacos in the january window.

Just after it despite signing older and more experianced midfielders we hit a slump in form and it was his ability off the bench that makes us tick at times. Just at the end of march i checked to see how my young man was doing and his stats had shot up big time, meaning i was desperate for him back. I had no recall option.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/41/mistaketw2.jpg

I was just woundering what everyones worst mistakes are on fm. mine would have to be loaning out sergio mota to Olypiacos in the january window.

Just after it despite signing older and more experianced midfielders we hit a slump in form and it was his ability off the bench that makes us tick at times. Just at the end of march i checked to see how my young man was doing and his stats had shot up big time, meaning i was desperate for him back. I had no recall option.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/41/mistaketw2.jpg

In a "Future" game I was managing a 2015 Tottenham, doing well in Champions League (after saving them from relegation one season, then shooting them to 4th the next), third season in Barca's manager position was "precarious". I expressed an interest and the board offered me the option to resign with my reputation intact, but guess what? The Barca board only said I would be "considered" and in the end took on someone else. I applied for THAT vacancy, didnt get that one, and so-on for about 4 clubs. I guess my disloyalty counted against me.

I holidayed the rest of the season, eventually managing Ivory Coast to the world cup quarters, and then quit for Mexico. THEN I still couldnt get a decent job. The best offer by 2020 I got was a struggling Championship team, but I'm a bit of a snob so turned them down.

Shame, really. I was enjoying that game, but got a bit bored of roaming around like that. Might go back one day and try to salvage my rep.

£9.5m on Manuel Fischer in the January transfer window, 1 goal in 3 seasons and sold to Liverpool for £4.2m.

I don't really know why I bought him as Kuranyi and Podolski were having a brilliant season and I had already secured Ben Sahar on a free at the end of the season. I only play one up front so it was a particularly baffling purchase.

I had a slip with my dragging and dropping and ended up playing Scot Carson as a right midfield (he's a goal keeper!) - he did ok though, got a 7!

Maybe there should be something in the game that stops you doing this, I mean, real managers don't accidentally put a goalkeeper into an outfield position, so maybe if you do that, the assistant manager or the goalkeeper himself should say 'hey, what the hell do you think you're doing?!?'

On the transfer market front, 14mill on Juan Arango who was an absolute flop.

Overall though my biggest mistake requires a bit of explanation. I had taken my local Hitchin town side from Blue square south to premiership. Things were going well and after some steady mid table finishes we had a fantastic 4th season and scraped into the last champions league spot.

We were drawn against a decidely beatable Club Brugges in the final qualifying round and i took a huge risk in the 1st leg by playing a 67% fit Tony Farley (scorer of 90 goals in his 3 seasons at top field) as a lone striker (we normally played 4-4-2), a defeat and a torn hamstring for Tony Farley was the result and we crashed out of the champs league and the uefa cup at the first hurdles and without our star striker we went into domestic freefall languishing in 16/17th place untill i was sacked in late november.

My biggest mistake is..... probably handing a 17 year old goalkeeper his debut against Chelsea (whilst managing Hull City) Do you even want to know the score!? 8-1 UNBELIEVABLE eh!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kan:

I had a slip with my dragging and dropping and ended up playing Scot Carson as a right midfield (he's a goal keeper!) - he did ok though, got a 7!

Maybe there should be something in the game that stops you doing this, I mean, real managers don't accidentally put a goalkeeper into an outfield position, so maybe if you do that, the assistant manager or the goalkeeper himself should say 'hey, what the hell do you think you're doing?!?' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that idea, not done it sinc eFM05 but with 10 mins to go i made a sub, expecting my super sub striker to come on my sub goalie came on. We went on to lose.

I remember a game in FM07 where I was playing in Portugal for a mid/lower-half side.

I was doing well defensively but not threatening in front of goal meaning a lot of 0-0's and 1-0's (for and against) when I got a news item stating that a 33 year old Brazilian by the name of Ronaldo had been released and was available for free.

I thought I would offer a contract expecting to be turned down. To my astonishment he accepted a two year contract and signed.

In his first game he scored 2 goals in a 2-2 draw against a team I had lost badly to earlier in the season. Second game, another two goals and a 2-0 won.

All was looking rosy until 20 minutes into the third game, 1-0 up (Ronaldo again) and he got injured.

Only played a small part in two further games, both resulting in further injury that season.

The following season, his attributes had dropped but he still looked good enough so he was still my number one choice.

Second pre-season game he gets injured. He managed to play a part in 4 games that season scoring only once.

I should have gone for the younger alternatives when I had a chance as his wages crippled me until his contract expired and there was very little improvement in the fortunes of the club.

Selling Kenwyne Jones in my first season (on my first game on 08) for Sunderland. I sold him for like 8 million, but couldn't find a decent replacement.

Ended up getting relegated, but stuck with the game and i'm still playing it (and won the prem a few times since - Kenwyne has since retired :p).

Signing Harry Kewell on a free transfer in my second season as PSV manager. I really should have known better, especially as I already had an abundance of left wingers. Who knows what I was thinking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

Signing Harry Kewell on a free transfer in my second season as PSV manager. I really should have known better, especially as I already had an abundance of left wingers. Who knows what I was thinking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That your physios could use the practice?

Signing Carlos Alberto for £9.5m when I was Wigan and then being unable to play him because he had no work permit. He refused to go and play for my Polish feeder team so I sold him for £3m a year later.

Last night....I had 2 RB's and 1 got injured for 4 months and the other got sold by the chairman on January 31st. Then I didn't register any players and I now have ZERO RB's in my squad and I am in 1st and playing CL.

I should become a pro manager the fans at bayern would want me dead.

I'm not quite sure how it's going to pan out just yet but I've just bought an pretty decent looking newgen from Madrid (AMC) for £4m in my Everton game. Anyway the mistakey-bit comes here: I already have Thiago, Kroos, Diego, Luis Jiménez and Ben Arfa and they're all quite young so what I'm probably going to end up selling someone - probably Thiago, he doesn't really have the technical attributes. I'll get a pic of this newgen I'm talking about.

My weird scouts were first crazy about him telling me that he was going to be amazing, then telling me how he would only be a decent prem midfielder...

Before I had realized you could now sign players after work permits were turned down, just couldn't play them, I spent my entire transfer budget in Jan on Carvalho who I could do nothing with but loan out.

Archived