Having a player on a trial- how does it work?

So if I have the guy on a trial, and have no friendlies arranged, then the guy's not really doing anything, is he?

You can make him available for your reserves as their matches are not counted as competitive matches.

I do it fairly frequently in the lower leagues, I will take a player on trial, let him play a few matches in the reserves, and if he stands out then I offer him a full contract, but if he doesn't do enough to catch my eye then I let him move on.

Trialists can be used in pre season friendlies. I have done this a lot when assessing whether to sign players released by big clubs or when weighing up if an older player 'still has it'. It is also mega useful in the lower leagues as mackemforever points out. I often loan them for as long as I can and see how they do in the reserves, even attending a game or too (I'm sad like that).

I've seen players accept less money after being on trial at a club than they wanted before the trial. I don't know if that always works.

Generally signing a player on trial has a few purposes:

- reveal their attributes if you have attribute masking

- reveal preferred moves

- get reports form all your coaches on him (can reveal hidden attributes)

- play him in non-competitive games (pre-season, reserves)

Generally trials are most useful during pre-season when they can play with your first team, but revealing the attributes and getting your coaches' opinions is generally worthwhile.

From my experiences I can say that trial's help you sign a player, lowering their demands by quite a lot in the lower leagues.

During pre-season I go on a bit of recruitment phase and trial pretty much any non-contracted youth player or good-looking freebies and see how they do in a couple of friendly matches. I prefer working this way as opposed to just scouting as you get to see more of the player while they're on trial and also find out if they're actually interested (if they wont come on trial with you then you need a new target pretty much).

Archived