How good is your defensive record?

Okay, I'll admit, I detest conceding goals.

Anyone else like this?

I find that this years version, it's very difficult to create a defensive minded tactic. I can't seem to muster up a solid back line. I'm just wondering if anyone else is finding this too. All my previous knowledge of setting up a rigid-defensive tactic has been compromised because my center backs are pulled apart and my fullbacks are destroyed. I leak goals.

(this is not a 'I hate FM11, worse version ever'. I'm just curious to know how everyone else is finding the defensive part of the game).

Well for my Barcalona team I have Adbidal, Samba, Pique, Rafael for my back line (L to R) with Valdes in goal and have only conceeded 16 goals in 40 games in one season. But the thing is, which might get your goat, I don't and never tweaked tatics it's on default. So you coud say I give them the freedom to use their football know how to keep oppostion strikers at bay.

I tend to be the highest scorers and the lowest conceders in tandem.

I put a lot of effort into my attacking play but don't bother with any defensive tactics so a bit unsure how I tend to concede the lowest goals.

It's probably down to the fact I insist on a top class GK and my team are mostly in possession of the ball and in the opp's half.

In my current Oldham (first season in the Prem) I am the 2nd highest scorers in the league but only the bottom 2 have a worse Goals Against record. When I get beat it is usually a hammering. I dont do narrow 1-0 defeats, when I get beat its like 6-1.

My team just collapses.

Still my forwards are doing enough to win me games!

The Dutch league is quite weak but the past 8 years in a row I've conceded less than 10 goals during a season (34 games). My record is 4 goals conceded and 22 games (in all competitions) without conceding. Getting the achievement for 30 games without conceding is proving very difficult.

I play control, 4312 (3mc 1amc) and give my players quite a bit of freedom overall. The backs are set to wingback support and the centre backs to ball playing defender.

I tend to be the highest scorers and the lowest conceders in tandem.

I put a lot of effort into my attacking play but don't bother with any defensive tactics so a bit unsure how I tend to concede the lowest goals.

It's probably down to the fact I insist on a top class GK and my team are mostly in possession of the ball and in the opp's half.

This. My Ajax team is about attacking and scoring goals, currently on an 82 or 83 game unbeaten streak in league and have had 4 unbeaten seasons so far, so by virtue of being dangerous going forward, I don't leak much at the back as well

My Liverpool team's defence has been consistently solid over the last 4 years 2014-18 conceding between 16 and 19 league goals. Pepe Reina GK, Danny Wilson LB, Sahko LCB Phil Jones RCB and Romario RB. with Marcelo, Glen Johnson, Galeano plus a couple of young kids as backup. 3 titles and a 2nd during that period. I've tweaked tactics but nothing major, just good players in a solid formation.

The Dutch league is quite weak but the past 8 years in a row I've conceded less than 10 goals during a season (34 games). My record is 4 goals conceded and 22 games (in all competitions) without conceding. Getting the achievement for 30 games without conceding is proving very difficult.

I play control, 4312 (3mc 1amc) and give my players quite a bit of freedom overall. The backs are set to wingback support and the centre backs to ball playing defender.

I play this same tactic most of the time or sometimes i switch to 4132 switching the cam to cdm unless its a national team and cant afford to leave some top wingers out of the team..

Anyway this does really seem to work good as in 2 seasons for AC Milan i have conceded only 22 goals, thats in 76 games which is a great record.. I set one midfielder to ball winning midfielder and sometimes i put 2 of them depending in who is the opposition...

Last season (2014-2015) with Sampdoria went on an 11 match clean sheet streak, conceded only 8 over our first 34 matches. At that point we won the league and we let in a further 4 goals. But only conceding 12 is a season is pretty good, IMO. This year we're 17 matches in and have let in 7. I attribute the solid D to a 4-1-2-1-2, with my back 6 looking like:

Ochoa

Lee Wallace (LB) - Danny Wilson - Dalton - Stefano Celozzi

Sandro (DM)

I have had a wonderkid LB and wonderkid CB in the defense as well, better than the other options in those positions, but I didn't include them because 1) they played only half the season and 2) no one would have any idea what their stats are (I'm not home either and thus can't upload screenies).

It also helps my defense that I play a passing, possession attack game, which prevents the D from coming under constant pressure.

Archived