Disciplinary mini-games

I like to mess around with the disciplinary feature on the player interaction. There are two circumstances when you can discipline a player - a) Poor performance; b) Dismissal. Three levels of punishments: 1) Official Warning 2) One week wage fine 3) Two weeks wage fine.

Squad discipline is one of your role as a manager to control your squad of players and if you do not practice a fair manner of discipline, your players will be concerned over a lack of managerial discipline. However, different type of players react differently or a more accurate word, randomly to how you discipline your squad. I will like to investigate how some players react to these disciplinary actions. I will categorize their reactions into four main categories, positive; neutral; negative and disastrous.

Discipline for poor performance

Positive reaction: Player X has apologised for his poor performance in his previous match and admits that he deserves his (insert punishment). *He understands that senior squad members have to lead by example (only appears if the player involved holds an important squad role) and he has said that he will try to motivate himself more for future matches.

Effect on player: +1 to work rate or/and determination attribute

Neutral reaction: Player X has accepted his (punishment) without comment.

Negative reaction: Player X feels (punishment) was harsh. Player X is shocked to be handed the (punishment) for poor performance.

Disastrous reaction: Player X feels (punishment) fine was unfair. Player X has acknowledged that as one of the most talented players in the team other players look to excel. He feels however that even the most talented players occasionally will have a quiet match and fining him because his team-mates didn't allow him to play his normal game is totally unreasonable.

Effect on player: The player will become unhappy and a new message will allow you to speak with him

Discipline for dismissal

Positive reaction: Player X has acknowledged that he deserved to be fined for his dismissal. He indicated that he will try his utmost to improve this side of game in future matches.

Effect on player: -1 to aggression. If you do not see the aggression decrease, it means that his hidden attribute temperament has increased by 1.

Neutral, negative, disastrous reaction likely to be the same as discipline for poor performance above.

From what I observe so far, more professional players are generally more receptive to punishments. And if the players have rather high controversy attribute (outspoken, confrontational media handling), he is more likely to react negatively towards your punishment.

For the player to accept his punishment, the first thing you look at will be the degree of the crime committed. Then you look at the severity of the punishment. The receptivity of the punishment is guided generally by the professionalism but the effects generated are somehow random.

For example, Vidic playing for Man Utd against Liverpool, performs poorly against Liverpool as compared generally to his team-mates, he received at 6.1 whereas most of his team-mates got above 7. Common sense will tell you that you cannot expect to fine him and get a positive response unless he has performed poorly consistently for a few matches. If you give him an official warning because this is his first poor performance for a long time, it is likely to generate a positive response from the player because the player has good professionalism at 16. However, the feedback from the player are generated randomly, ranging from a positive to a negative response.

I am not smart enough to deduce an exact professionalism attribute that will be positive as the randomness of the responses from the players clouds everything. If someone else can provide a test, I will be grateful too.

Archived