Stop it! I WANT to use the tactic with 3 defenders

It's extremely frustrating I can't use the 3 4 1 2, with 3 central defenders, 2 MC, 2R/LM, 1 ATM, 2 FW

It's extremely frustrating that the game, all by himself, decides that my R/L Midfielder have to push themselves behind my defense while I'm without ball.

It's extremely frustrating that even if I put ALL OFFENSIVE to my R/L midfielder and to press ALL OVER THE PITCH they would be, in any case, while I have no ball possession, agains my goal line.

It's extremely frustrating that my 3 4 1 2 turns MAGICALLY in a 5 2 1 2 cause the game has decided that way.

It's extremely SILLY that even if I am in 2022, and I EVER PLAYED with 3 4 1 2 my preferred tactic is 5 2 1 2, only because tha game isn't able to let the 3 4 1 2 play as a 3 4 1 2.

It's extremely frustrating that this is the 3rd year it happens, and this the 3rd year it will not be solved!

It's all extremely frustrating!

That issue with the preferred tactic is a known bug, don't bother with it. But I can understand your concerns about the ML/MR thing. I think it would change if you put them to AML/AMR but you want to keep your formation, don't you? So your ML/MR duty is attack? What about their mentality? Maybe you use a fluid system where players are expected to contribute to every phase of the game? Just out of interest, do you have any success with this formation because I'm looking for a tactic with 3 DC's too but whatever I do it won't work for me in FM11.

That issue with the preferred tactic is a known bug, don't bother with it. But I can understand your concerns about the ML/MR thing. I think it would change if you put them to AML/AMR but you want to keep your formation, don't you?

You're totally right. I want to use my tactic, either If I win or I lose, but I want my tactic

So your ML/MR duty is attack? What about their mentality? Maybe you use a fluid system where players are expected to contribute to every phase of the game? Just out of interest, do you have any success with this formation because I'm looking for a tactic with 3 DC's too but whatever I do it won't work for me in FM11.

Their mentality is set to "offensive", their pressing is set to "all over the pitch", my defensive line is high, my defender mentality is normal and their pressing is set to "to the middle of the pitch", so my ML/MR have a more offensive mentality and pressing in respect of my defenders, but they will always put themselves over the defenders line, smoking joints and waiting my opponents to score.

I'm in 2022, and my tactis has been more or less a loser tactic. There have been little period when it seemed a good tactic, soon turning to a loser one. And I have tried a lot of ways!

OK - Im not entirely sure what you mean because you arent making yourself very clear - perhaps a picture might help.

but, from what I have understood you want to use your tactic whether you win or lose, but you are complaining because you are losing?

Im very confused because you then say you want to use 3 DC - and you do - but its not the DC thats the issue, its the ML/MR?

In your first post you say that your wide players end up behind your defenders, but in your last post you say that they 'put themselves over the defenders line'. Well, this really isnt surprising because you have your defensive line set to high, thus your defenders are pushing up past your midfielders. But again, Im not sure if this is what you mean because you arent explaining it very well.

Not all tactics work - I dont understand why people persist in claiming that a tactic 'should' work.

but, from what I have understood you want to use your tactic whether you win or lose, but you are complaining because you are losing?

I never complained I'm losing. I complain the fact that my player don't do what I ask them to do. I can lose every game 7-0, but they have to do what I'm asking them to do.

Im very confused because you then say you want to use 3 DC - and you do - but its not the DC thats the issue, its the ML/MR?

In your first post you say that your wide players end up behind your defenders, but in your last post you say that they 'put themselves over the defenders line'. Well, this really isnt surprising because you have your defensive line set to high, thus your defenders are pushing up past your midfielders.

Indeed it is surprising, 'cause my defenders have a high mentality but my midfielders have an higher one.

All offensive mentality of my team are set in a graduated way, from the less offensive (the defenders) to the more offensive (the forwards, naturally) The midfielder has an higher mentaly in respect of the defenders, but a lesser one in respect of the forwards. So it isn't natural they put themselves OVER the defenders line, making the offside trap a silly tactic.

Cause just as the opponent action begins, they run in a crazy way to put themselves over my defendive line, waiting for the opponent.. EVER waiting, without pressing, without marking.

Not all tactics work - I dont understand why people persist in claiming that a tactic 'should' work.

I don't want my tactic to work. I want my tactic does what I ask to do. I can lose or win, this isn't the problem, but I want my tactic to "work" as I want to work.

I'm not questioning that my tactic doesn't work at all. I am questioning that in my tactic ML/MR aren't usable as I want to do.

And this is a known issue by the sigames.

Is a Known issue since 2007.

I'm not creating a problem, I'm only bothered by the issue. All the other 9 player do what I ask them to do. Only the MR/ML don't do what I ask them, and THIS is a known issue.

No one here has told you "I want to win with my tactic"

I have only said "I want my tactic"

Right - so what is the 'known issue'

Your last post made more sense so I am slowly understanding what you actually mean.

If its not a silly suggestion, surely the issue stems from the ML/MR having such high pressing, they are simply running like headless chicken towards the ball at all oppertunities.

Have you tried dropping their pressing and dropping the defensive line?

Right - so what is the 'known issue'

Your last post made more sense so I am slowly understanding what you actually mean

You have to excuse me, I'm not english, so sometimes I have problems trying to make me clear.

The known issue by the sigames concern tha tactic with the 3 defender and ML/MR. Only this tactic. If you have 3 defender + Right/Left attaccking midfielder, or if you have 3 defender + (terzino fluidificante)R/L you will not encounter this problem.

My tactic has 3 defenders and ML/MR. And please don't tell me "change your tactic", cause this is a usable tactic, winning or losing, but it's a usable one, and the Sigames has to make it usable.

If its not a silly suggestion, surely the issue stems from the ML/MR having such high pressing, they are simply running like headless chicken towards the ball at all oppertunities.

Have you tried dropping their pressing and dropping the defensive line?

The problem is completely opposite.

they don't do pressing at all and don't mark anyone. I have tried all kind of pressing and marking for them, but my ML/R will never do nothing. They will ever put themselves in a EXTREMELY defensive way, over the defenders line, waiting for my opponent's wing to smoke a joint, to dance some samba, call the parents in Burundi, than cross for someone and scoring.

I have tried even to drop the defensive line and their pressing. the defensive line and all the other 9 players do what they ask them, in every way I ask them, but the ML/MR will ever do what I never asked them.

Fair enough - I have never tried this sort of tactic, so I wont say that your experiances are wrong.

I know you dont want to change tactics (no idea why, but fair enough) but if you know the game is broken in this respect, why continue in that manner?

You are right, the game is broken, SI havent fixed it since 2007 (assuming thats all correct) but why impact your enjoyment of the game by continually playing the game with a broken tactic?

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, the answer is not to play any formation with three at the back. Stick to back fours.

Here are some threads I have raised regarding the issue:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238246-The-3-4-1-2-A-Tactical-Challenge

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/238457-Feedback-on-formations-with-three-at-the-back

You may like to add your experiences to the bottom thread there, which is a bug thread on this issue.

Fair enough - I have never tried this sort of tactic, so I wont say that your experiances are wrong.

I know you dont want to change tactics (no idea why, but fair enough) but if you know the game is broken in this respect, why continue in that manner?

You are right, the game is broken, SI havent fixed it since 2007 (assuming thats all correct) but why impact your enjoyment of the game by continually playing the game with a broken tactic?

Simply because in my way to see football 3 4 1 2 is the best tactic. I dislike at all 4 men defense. I love the ML/MR role, so I every year try to use this tactic.

This is my first carreer with FM2011. When I bought this game I thought "maybe this year it will work, cause on the box isn't written "the 3 4 1 2 will not work""

And I have passed all my first carreer trying to use all kind of options to make it work, hoping it was my fault. But after the 3500th attempt, I though "maybe even this year it's a broken tactic", and that doesn't sound good at all.

That is your choice obviously.

If it were me, I would rather enjoy the game for what it is, rather than repeatedly fail because there is a hole in the ME that you don't want to work around.

However it is bad that SI hVent fixed something from 2007

That is your choice obviously.

If it were me, I would rather enjoy the game for what it is, rather than repeatedly fail because there is a hole in the ME that you don't want to work around.

It's very bad.

I've always noticed the same problem over the years, you set up with the 3-4-1-2 and they set up on the pitch as a 5-2-1-2, your wingers play as fullbacks and you give up 60 or 70% possession. I've just always used a back 4 since but I'd like to be able to get a 3-4-1-2 to work.

the wide play in this regard did work very well in fm08, was perfectly possible to play a flat 3-5-2 back then, have not been possible since and I cant use some of my favorite formations becouse of this MR/ML wideplayer bug which make MR/ML act as fullbacks regardless of setings

Archived