Inside Foward or Winger?

When playing a pacy left footed player on the right, or vice versa, is it best to play them as inside forward or winger (both with attack and cut inside)?

I always would have thought to play them as inside forwards but i've heard there is a glitch in exposing the middle of the park and that a winger cutting inside will get you goals!

what do you lads think?

When playing a pacy left footed player on the right, or vice versa, is it best to play them as inside forward or winger (both with attack and cut inside)?

I always would have thought to play them as inside forwards but i've heard there is a glitch in exposing the middle of the park and that a winger cutting inside will get you goals!

what do you lads think?

An inside forward is essentially a winger cutting inside anyway.

Much depends on the players abilities and the team formation.

I usually try to play a target man upfront alone with an Inside Forward on both flanks in the AML/AMR positions.

I usually try to train them with the PPM "Cuts Inside" and "Move into channel"

I look for players with good Aerobic's, dribbling and finishing .... I dont worry about crossing.

This formation tends to expose my full backs a little so I always use a DMC in the DMC position.

If they have very good "Team Work" they will usuaully cover the wide players when caught out of position.

I then play two MC's in the MC position and make sure they have the support duty chcked in the hope that my midfield does not get overun.

Put full backs on "Cross from deep".

If your talking in terms of the standard 4/4/2 formation, I would go with wingers, not inside forwards.

I've never had much success with inside forward. They always shoot from outside the box after cutting in. Winger is more effective for me because they attack their near post.
you mean like this?:

[video=youtube;2VOjMhDYxEA]

[video=youtube;LMk7ojsbpmQ]

[video=youtube;rlKuNjCKLq0]

in all honesty, i think its your tactics athos (maybe you should look at tweaking there shoot from distance setings if its on often or sometimes? or do you play with to high tempo/low time waste?), my inside forwards cut inside just fine, much since they have room to do so and how I have set up my team to play

in all honesty, i think its your team Falahk (maybe you should look at playing against a stronger teams if your team often plays well against much weaker teams? or do you buy the best striker of your league rival/weaken the other teams in the league?), my inside forwards have a hard time scoring, much since they're not the best in the world and my team is no world and european champion

I play 4-3-3 in a way that 1MC+1Boxtobor, in front of them AMC, Left winger and right winger with a inside forward role, and a target man. My inside forward makes a good job with my tactics. However if I put Quaresma as an inside froeward, he tries too many long shoots instead of passing to my Striker. So I think if you have a player with high team-work ability, you can safely play him as an inside forward. But if you have a player with low team-work ability than you should play him as a winger.

Use a winger insructions when you play the 11.1.1 version. Use an inside forward instructions when you play the 11.2.1 version.

Is that based on a bug? anyone throw a little light on this.

I dont really see any difference between playing my AML/AMR as winger or inside forward - they both seem to play identically (translation - both ways they ignore my instructions and do whatever they want, just a good thing that they always seem to do well, otherwise I might have to drop them!)

Is that based on a bug? anyone throw a little light on this.

I dont really see any difference between playing my AML/AMR as winger or inside forward - they both seem to play identically (translation - both ways they ignore my instructions and do whatever they want, just a good thing that they always seem to do well, otherwise I might have to drop them!)

You don't see any difference? Holy cow! Are you joking man? I decided to sell all my AML&AMRs, which can't play as an inside forward(other instructions, other key attributes needed), after 8 matches played on 11.2.1 version. No assists, no good crossing - that's why i sell them - they became useless after install of 11.2.1 patch. I've changed the formation - from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1(with two inside forwards/attack, and one complete striker/support). After this change, my team didn't lose any game in the row of 14 matches, while my inside forwards play lovely and effective game. I tried 3 or 4 times to use a left wingers - he was a crap, he couldn't make anything on the pitch, the opponent's full backs were pushing him outside and block most of his corsses, and he never choose to run inside or play through passes.

So, based on 8 matches, you presume the entire game works in that fashion?

And no, I havent noticed any difference - I can set wiltshire and hazard to play as wingers or inside fowards and they still cut inside, create crosses and score goals either way.

You don't see any difference? Holy cow! Are you joking man? I decided to sell all my AML&AMRs, which can't play as an inside forward(other instructions, other key attributes needed), after 8 matches played on 11.2.1 version. No assists, no good crossing - that's why i sell them - they became useless after install of 11.2.1 patch. I've changed the formation - from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1(with two inside forwards/attack, and one complete striker/support). After this change, my team didn't lose any game in the row of 14 matches, while my inside forwards play lovely and effective game. I tried 3 or 4 times to use a left wingers - he was a crap, he couldn't make anything on the pitch, the opponent's full backs were pushing him outside and block most of his corsses, and he never choose to run inside or play through passes.

And no, I havent noticed any difference - I can set wiltshire and hazard to play as wingers or inside fowards and they still cut inside, create crosses and score goals either way.

I must agree with Maidel on this one. I also play with 11.2.1, and my AML's and AMR's are playing fine. My only concern is that Quaresma is wasting a lot of chances when he plays inside forward since he is not a team-player type.

Ok, but then you'll change the default instructions of "wide play" and "through ball", and then you'll have a kind of hybrid between inside forward and winger. I wouldn't say this is something wrong - if you have players of such a calibre you can do many modifications - I also do such things.

If I had to reply to this thread in simple way I would say that cutting inside made the bigger impact then hugging touchline, or it's much more effective, and that's it.

PS: About those 8 matches - if you have the squad gelled properly, and the left winger have 8 or 8 assists in 15 matches, and after installing another patch, he has 0! assists in 8 games, and play poor on the wing, lost the ball in most of the key situation, and doesn't have the ability to playing as an inside forward, the best decision is to sell this player. My team begun very succesful after this. I manage Arka Gdynia, i don't have players like Hazard or at least Kuba Blaszczykowski. Arka have the ability competitive to english sides like Tranmere, or Swindon for instance.

Ok, but then you'll change the default instructions of "wide play" and "through ball". and than you'll have kind of a hybrid between inside forward and winger. I wouldn't say it's sth wrong - if you have players of such a calibre you can do many things.

If I had to answer to this problem in simple way i would tell that cutting inside made the bigger impact then hugging touchline. and that's it. I'm open minded to any hybrids.

I litterally do not touch the players individual instructions - my players play absolutely no differently when played as IF or Wingers.

Im more concerned that you made a decision about the entire game after 8 matches.

I have to add, that I always watch on full matches, not key or extended highlights.

Alright for those that have the time to spare...

Your editing still didnt help - you still gave advice based on 8 games and stated it like it was fully researched fact.

That's true Maidel.

I researched after 8 test matches that my left winger have no assists, no goals, ussually stopped by the opponent's full back, cross rarely and poor.

I also researched that my inside forward have 7 goals and 6 assits after 15 matches.

I'm really sorry! Isn't it good that I've made good reaserch in short time (in your opinion)?

I'm 36 year old CM/FM veteran and sometimes it's really hard to research something, this time it was a piece of cake ;)

But EIGHT games is not enough time to categorically prove something like this.

When, conversley, I see utterly no difference between the two with the players I have. Might a better and more reasoned assumption been that the players you picked at the time werent right for those instructions?

I can find 8 games where my striker doesnt score - it doesnt mean that suddenly the patch has changed something and suddenly 'poachers' no longer work - it just means he was having a bad run of form.

I really didn't need more then those 8 chances to prove that I'm right in this matter. I also wrote in post #13, that I've tried to choose a winger 3 or 4 times after my research, and it was nothing but a crap.

To end this discussion I must admit that I don't need to consider a clear thing during the 30 matches, when I proved it after 8.

in all honesty, i think its your team Falahk (maybe you should look at playing against a stronger teams if your team often plays well against much weaker teams? or do you buy the best striker of your league rival/weaken the other teams in the league?), my inside forwards have a hard time scoring, much since they're not the best in the world and my team is no world and european champion
im siting 4th a half year in with Athletic playing exactly the same tactic and seeing the same kind of goals, would that go as a weaker team? I played a similar system with Pompey and got promoted in my first year (but that tactic was not close to as good or as refined as my current one), I could prolly play in the same style with a 4th tier team if I had somewhat suitable players (often easy to do by loaning) and lead such a squad on consecutive promotions, but I just simply find top flight football more rewarding (its waaaay to easy to win/get promoted in crap leagues)

who do you play as may I ask?

im siting 4th a half year in with Athletic playing exactly the same tactic and seeing the same kind of goals, would that go as a weaker team? I played a similar system with Pompey and got promoted in my first year (but that tactic was not close to as good or as refined as my current one), I could prolly play in the same style with a 4th tier team if I had somewhat suitable players (often easy to do by loaning) and lead such a squad on consecutive promotions, but I just simply find top flight football more rewarding (its waaaay to easy to win/get promoted in crap leagues)

who do you play as may I ask?

I do agree with most of what you said in this and in your last post. I've been able to get wide players to score consistently with weaker teams.

athos I think you should give us more information on your team.

One thing I would like to say though is that I don't see how you think that playing as a team with the players and the finances of barca is more rewarding than say taking a team who are the bottom of the bottom to the top or saving a team that is/was in severe financial problems (i.e. portsmouth)......

I'm sorry but staying at the top is a lot easier than getting to the top......especially in spain.

One thing I would like to say though is that I don't see how you think that playing as a team with the players and the finances of barca is more rewarding than say taking a team who are the bottom of the bottom to the top or saving a team that is/was in severe financial problems (i.e. portsmouth)......

I'm sorry but staying at the top is a lot easier than getting to the top......especially in spain.

im geting quite a bit of enjoyment out of developing the current barca youth set up, and geting my team to play football in the way I want them to

the challange never was wining (that would happen a couple of years in no mather what team one play), hell I could prolly win the epl with say....Stoke after one or two years depending on how crazy I go on transfers and how many typical bargins I sign. On fm10 I won the league in my 3rd season with Athletic, while i had notched up a 3rd place and a cup treble (rey, CL, super cup) the year before that

But EIGHT games is not enough time to categorically prove something like this.

When, conversley, I see utterly no difference between the two with the players I have. Might a better and more reasoned assumption been that the players you picked at the time werent right for those instructions?

I can find 8 games where my striker doesnt score - it doesnt mean that suddenly the patch has changed something and suddenly 'poachers' no longer work - it just means he was having a bad run of form.

Have to agree with this, 8 games is nowhere near enough to do a complete analysis. I've had strikers go through 8 straight games without a goal, then suddenly the same player will score 14 in the next 8 matches. No change in tactics, no patch.

You're right Kenco. But comparing wingers to strikers is not so good idea.

Why? Cause there are many types of strikers: advanced, deep-lying, defensive, complete, target, and poacher.

I have poacher, complete striker and deep-lying forward in my squad. So I have some options, don't you think?

I also have two right inside forwards and one left inside forward, one right winger and one left winger.

So I have only two options on positions amr and aml.

My wingers played perfectly on 11.1.1, maybe even to much.

I think I gave them too much chances on 11.2.1 but my both side wingers play horrible. 8 matches (60-90 min. per game) is enough in the real life in my opinion.

I don't want to apologise for my decisions. Key decisions. Now my team (one of 4 weakest sides) is 2nd in the league, and my team play beautiful football.

No one is asking you to appologise, it's your game, play it as you will and I wish you every success.

What we are trying to say that you have made a sweeping generalisation about the game based on your experience of 8 matches. There are so many different variablesand reasons why your players might be doing badly in those matches that you can't simply say wingers don't work in 11.2.

Perhaps your strikers weren't receiving the crosses right, or the rest of the team weren't feeding the wingers correctly.

You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion on the subject, and I respect that, but what I (we) are saying is it's really misleading to post your opinions as clear hard facts based solely on 8 matches.

nothing wrong with wingers on 11.2.1. was trailing valencia 1-0, hauled off messi at around 80 mins and put in kiko and set his instructions to winger and did nothing except to give a youngster some game time, he scored a hattrick for me.

This is exactly my point, but expressed the other way around - based on that experiance then you would surmise that wingers are better than inside forwards. Ive been trying to explain to Mr. von guzoff that small samples of data do not prove that something is broken.

I also have had very good experiances using wingers - both Hazard and wiltshire play equally well with either setting.

Maybe I just have experience with poor wingers - check them out : Denis Glavina (CRO), Pawel Czoska (POL), Abiodun (NIG).

Maybe I just have experience with poor inside forwards playing great - check them out: Abiodun (NIG) Tadas Labukas (LIT) Marcin Zajac (POL)

All of them are poor players, but my team is also quite poor - Arka Gdynia (POL).

Thank you

wingers have worked incredibly well for me, got lots of assists and gals from wide positions, my 4 rotating wingers all got at least 10 goals and 10 assists in the season, nani and hazard leading with 14 goals 19 assists and 11 goals 18 assists respectively (my wingers playing from ML/MR)

Archived