Back in love with FM

The last couple of years I've found myself getting less out of my FM experience than I had in previous years' iterations; I just couldn't get into a long term save, and the main reason for this was my poor old laptop simply taking too long to do anything. A season would take me a good 2 or 3 weeks to get through, not because I wasn't playing the game as much, but because it took soooooo loooooong to process fixtures etc between matches, even with just the professional leagues in England loaded. The sheer slog of finishing a season meant that, instead of dusting myself down and trying to improve for next season after a narrowly missed promotion, I just couldn't be bothered to do it all again...

This year therefore, I decided that I'd purchase a new laptop, in the hope that I'd be able to enjoy my favourite game of all time in the way I used to.

And I'm happy to announce that it worked! I now have 4 countries' leagues loaded from top to bottom (the laptop will support more but it was all I wanted) and the game now whizzes between fixtures, allowing me to feel a sense of momentum during a winning run, and a sense that I don't have to wait long until I can set things right after a defeat.

Sure, the game has a few bugs in it (well documented on these hallowed pages so I won't bother mentioning them again), but nothing that's spoiling my enjoyment. Unfortunately, the new laptop hasn't made me a better manager, but at least I have the motivation now to help myself to do that and achieve something special for the first time since I took Gateshead into the Premiership, or made my beloved Pompey a real force in European football.

I'm loving FM 11, the best version of the game i've ever played. I lost interest in the franchise around 2006/2007 and went back to playing CM01/02 but now, after awhile trying to get settled in a team, i'm loving FM11!!

i went back to CM0102 after my old PC died when FM08 was out (actually forgot i had it until i looked through old box - thought FM07 was the last until 10) and loved how quick the game was. flying through seasons and knowing who the regens were meant to be was great fun for a while.

Back up to date now and despite being slower, i can still handle 20-odd leagues with 40k players so i'm happy enough for now

I got my laptop last week, and I must say, it's running FM far better than I expected.

I want to make love to its sweet silicon goodness. i3 <3

Oh, and when I go to game status, it says that I have 4 processors. Do I really have four processors, or is it winding me up?

Oh, and when I go to game status, it says that I have 4 processors. Do I really have four processors, or is it winding me up?

Mine says that too, but it's definitely a dual core processor. Been meaning to ask about that for days now, thanks for reminding me!

Lol, no. It's worded badly. You only have 1 processor, but the processor has 4 'cores'. Basically this means that it can work on 4 different bits of information at the same time.

Some of the newer Intel processors have something called hyperthreading; which again theoretically doubles the amount of information it can work on. When I look in game status, it tells me that I have 12 processors!

*edit* You can also have a dual core with hyperthreading, hence the 4 processors

Lol, no. It's worded badly. You only have 1 processor, but the processor has 4 'cores'. Basically this means that it can work on 4 different bits of information at the same time.

Some of the newer Intel processors have something called hyperthreading; which again theoretically doubles the amount of information it can work on. When I look in game status, it tells me that I have 12 processors!

*edit* You can also have a dual core with hyperthreading, hence the 4 processors

Cheers for that.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Archived