So are journeyman games even possible?

Hi all, I was wondering, has anyone actually started unemployed with automatic reputation and went from managing a crap 3rd div team to managing a wolrd class team? How many seasons did it take?

I started a journeyman game and got a job with a struggling 2nd div russian team and got them promoted in 1 season and won manager of the year, yet I'm getting no reputation change! Is it just a longer slower process to gain rep or what?

I also heard that the manager rep and job application system is broken, as well as applying for jobs in different countries, is that true? has anyone actually had a successful journeyman game going from country to country building their reputation?? should I even bother playing journeyman until this is fixed?

I have to say yes.

I am 11 seasons in, just taken over at Man City.

Started at Derby, 7 happy years there and then I moved to Roma. After 3 seasons there I resigned and waited for a big enough job. Man City came along and the opportunity to go back to the EPL and beat the dominant force (Derby) was too much to turn down.

So, yes, you can move around, but it might be worth noting that I won a lot at Derby and the same at Roma.

Yep.

I am in 2020 with Havant and Waterlooville. I started unemployed with sunday league experience and got them.

I managed to get them promoted and then hang about the lower divisions while this was happening I was getting job offers from teams above me. (league 2, league 1)

I am now in my 4th season in the Championship with them and Wisla Krakow offered me the job of manager. :)

I started off with LA Galaxy and spent 2 years with them.

Won the MLS and the US Cup in 2nd Season

Planned on leaving after winning the MLS and was offered the Feyenord job but decided to quit and wait for a job to come up.

I'm now managing Celtic, so it's not that hard to get jobs I don't think. To go from Galaxy to Celtic (with an option of Feyenord is great career progression)

Oh ok, thats all good to hear...I guess in my case I just haven't made enough of an impact yet...I guess I should just keep winning and I'll start getting offers/higher rep?

From what ive seen the only people have problems started there game on auto rep i started on sunday league with Reading ive been offered jobs at Sunderland, Wolfsberg, England, Real Madrid n Ajax and others in 6 seasons.....

I started mine on semi-pro and I've seen no rep change at all despite a very successful first 2 seasons (promotion and manager of the year)...I guess it just takes more time and success..

How about getting jobs in different countries from where you started? I heard thats busted. I guess not judging from your replies.

No problem for me managing in different countries. I went from England to Italy and back to England. I will be taking a job in Spain before long.

Just to point out - your starting rep will always show as semi-pro whereas your current rep is different.

And the common trait to most "from rags to riches stories" is starting in England and/or with English/British nationality...

I suspect it's easier landing a job at Man Utd after having won League One and Championship with Barnsley than after having won two domestic titles and an Europa League with Copenhagen or AEK Athens...

I started off unemployed with Sunday league reputation and Mansfield offered me the job. Promoted to League Two and FA Trophy winners at the second time of asking and now in season three. I have no plans to leave though but I was offered the job at the start of the game.

I always tend to have my Telford save, then a journeyman one. But I always set the rule out in my journeyman save that I start unemployed, don't apply for any jobs ever and see who comes to you first. Then, whilst you're in a job, don't apply for anymore, just take the first offer of a job you get, no matter who they are. It's quite fun to be fair, and I've ended up having some fun saves from it.

Of course journeyman saves are possible. But as it is right now it's quite limited. If you want to move abroad the game seems to be very biased towards your current league's reputation and the reputation of the league you want to move to. The reputation of your current league has to be close to the target one or you won't have a chance. For example, I started at Ajax and before the league reputation increased to 4 stars I had no chance of getting any half decent job in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and England. Some of the smaller teams wouldn't immediately laugh off my interest but there didn't seem to be any hint that they actually cared about me winning the CL several times with Ajax. Oh and the world cup with Argentina.

Now that the Dutch league is 4 stars I'm all of a sudden the lead candidate for clubs like AC Milan when I declare interest... I've also never had any job offers and have seen my name linked to a vacant position maybe once in a blue moon. I don't really mind for now as I'm building an all Duth team which I want to win the world cup with, but there's definitely something wrong.

Now imagine starting in umm idk which one has the worst reputation but let's say Indonesia...

I'm not sure. In my save (automatic experience) i started in the lowest dutch league I loaded (4th tier), resigned after two seasons after winning that league and an amateur cup, but couldnt get any jobs on a higher level. Eventually (holiday -> apply to all) got the job in english 8th tier (the lowest loaded), didnt do so well and got fired at the end of my first season there after showing interest in another job. Went on holiday again and only managed to get a job at the same level (different regional league though). Now won the lower league cup and just missed out on the playoffs. Now I'm trying to get another job again, but no luck yet. Laughed at by all basically and jeopardising my current job in the process. Never had a spontaneous job offer up till now. I think I will be forced to play another season with this club and try to get them promoted and try my luck again. A bit disappointing really, I would et least expect some interest from same or slightly higer clubs (or even lower are welcome, but I have nothing lower loaded..). The league I'm in is half a star, maybe that's not so good ;-)

I'm not sure. In my save (automatic experience) i started in the lowest dutch league I loaded (4th tier), resigned after two seasons after winning that league and an amateur cup, but couldnt get any jobs on a higher level. Eventually (holiday -> apply to all) got the job in english 8th tier (the lowest loaded), didnt do so well and got fired at the end of my first season there after showing interest in another job. Went on holiday again and only managed to get a job at the same level (different regional league though). Now won the lower league cup and just missed out on the playoffs. Now I'm trying to get another job again, but no luck yet. Laughed at by all basically and jeopardising my current job in the process. Never had a spontaneous job offer up till now. I think I will be forced to play another season with this club and try to get them promoted and try my luck again. A bit disappointing really, I would et least expect some interest from same or slightly higer clubs (or even lower are welcome, but I have nothing lower loaded..). The league I'm in is half a star, maybe that's not so good ;-)

Yeah, I'm pretty much experiencing the exact beginning stages of your story...maybe we're just not not achieving a high enough level of success? Or maybe not sticking with one team for long enough?

i started unemployed with semi-pro history with full intentions of doing a journey man save, however i took over mansfield town and got them to league 1 within 3 seasons and was expecting championship club offers to start coming in, when they never i got them an unexpected promotion to the championship so my next challenge was to keep them up which i did but got relegated the next season. eventually i got them to the premiership in my 7th year as manager and couldnt bear to part with them even though i got offered arsenal and chelsea jobs, when the new patch comes out my next save will be a journey man one but ill try to be a bit more ruthless this time

Yeah, I'm pretty much experiencing the exact beginning stages of your story...maybe we're just not not achieving a high enough level of success? Or maybe not sticking with one team for long enough?

To continue my story: I accidently let my contract run out. I thought they would come back to me at the last day of my contract after rejecting the contract a week before it ran out, so I could delay it for a week and see what jobs would came available july 1st when other managers contracts would run out. But unfortunately thet didnt come back with another offer for my services and suddenly I was out of a job again. Same old same old, so I went on holiday and applied to all. It took me until halfway may the next year for my first application to be successfull. That's a full season worth of processing time! I left my laptop running 24 hours to get there. It turned out I'm back where I started, in the lowest league in my native Holland (4th tier, also half star I believe), at a fully amateur club. O well, just try my luck again and bide time until the patch is released I guess. I just hope my virtual alter-ego manages to get by on €0 per week now that he was just getting used to a staggering €230 a week he earned in England ;-)

Archived