New Laptop - which one will run FM faster

I have a choice between laptops:

Sony EE3Z0E

Screen size - 15.4 (resolution 1366x768)

Processor - AMD Athlon P840 Triple-Core 1.9Ghz

Memory - 6Gb RAM

Hard drive - 500Gb

Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 5145

Drives - Blu Ray

Operating System - Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Dell XPS 17

Screen size - 17.3 (resolution 1600x900)

Processor - Intel i5-460M 2.53Ghz

Memory - 3Gb RAM

Hard drive - 500Gb

Graphics - 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M

Drives - DVD Rewriter

Operating System - Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Questions:

a) How critical is Sony's extra 3Gb RAM? Will that make FM run quicker, or does Dell's much faster processor make up for it?

b) Does Dell's better graphics card make a difference to FM, or once you get to a certain level which the Sony might be past, would it look the same on everything?

c) Does FM automatically expand (and increase font size etc) on the larger Dell screen?

What would people recommend for the better FM experience, both graphically and speed wise?

Thanks.

Personally i would go for Dell mostly because of the better processor. As for a font size you can manually change this or search for other skins.

Graphic card in Dell is way better - important thing if you want to play in 3d mode. (this radeon inside Sony is crap)

As for additional 3Gb Ram of memory i am not 100% sure but probably you can expand this further by youself.

Damien, you might want to look in the tech/specs thread, it is full of answers to questions just like yours. Also from reading there, with Windows 7 64bit FM will be able to use 4gb of RAM, so if you could get the Dell (edit) upgraded to say 6GB you'd have 4 for FM and 2 to run all the other things that your computer needs to run.

(I'm just researching all this as I'm in the same boat- hope this helps).

As a rule of thumb i stay away from HP/Compaq computers. Have had nothing but trouble with them.

That's not a bad computer - but it's a Phenom processor with 1.6 ghz speed, which is the lowest in the range of that processor.

The dell is better than this computer.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/dell-inspiron-n5010-black-laptop-08702322-pdt.html

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor

- 2.53 GHz

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB Intel Smart Cache

- Dual-core processor

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

RAM 4GB DDR3 RAM

Graphics card Integrated Media Accelerator HD graphics processor <<<<< that gonna be a problem?

is a duel processor running at 2ghz plus better than a quad at 1.6ghz? just as a rule of thumb i'd like to know lol

If FM can only use 1 processor at a time then the 1.6 ghz won't be fast enough and you'd have 3 spare. As the dual core would be running at a speed of 2.3ghz then the game would be running faster and you'd have a spare processor capable of 2.3ghz too.

So it really depends on how many processors the game is capable of utilising.

Thread on that here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/245239-How-many-processors-can-FM-utilise

If FM can only use 1 processor at a time then the 1.6 ghz won't be fast enough and you'd have 3 spare. As the dual core would be running at a speed of 2.3ghz then the game would be running faster and you'd have a spare processor capable of 2.3ghz too.

So it really depends on how many processors the game is capable of utilising.

Thread on that here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/245239-How-many-processors-can-FM-utilise

and as said over there

That isn't true, the game can use as many cores as you have to play matches on.

The game can use 2GB of memory on a 32bit OS and 4GB on a 64bit OS

So the Quad core would probably be better overall.

The i5 will be without doubt the faster machine. It has an extra core and it's defualt clock speed is 2.53ghz, compared to the 1.9 Athlon.

The extra 3gig of ram will help in running the game, but the more cores and clock speed you have, the better the game will run. 3 gig of ram is enough to run FM perfectly well.

The i5 (and now sandy bridge) are a much newer technology than the AMD 64 architecture. If you could benchmark those two machines, the i5 machine would be miles ahead. There really isn't any reason at all for going for the AMD machine.

Avoid AMD processors in laptops as Intel are far better, this is not always the case however in desktop PC's. I always avoid intergrated graphics processors as well. More RAM will help even though FM doesn't utilize all the RAM, other programs still need to run in the background, Windows, Anti Virus, Firewalls etc.

Archived