Players refusing transfer contract talks after team reaching champions league semi

I've just began my 3rd season with Shakhtar Donetsk in the Ukrainian league and have built them up to be quite a force in Europe in that short time. My first season i reached a Champions League Quarter-Final and the second a Semi-Final. I've managed to sign some quite big signing in the form of Luis Suarez and Michel Bastos so i genuinely believed i could add to this after my Semi-Final success. Now I know Ukraine might not be the most attractive place to go for most footballers but I've been trying to attract some players from lesser ranked European sides. Players such as Fabio Coentrao from Benfica, Javier Pastore (Palermo), Renato Augusto (Leverkusen) etc. None of these players are even willing to discuss wages even though when my team is reaching Champions League Semis, my teams reputation should be on the increase to at least let me attempt to lure them in to further their careers.

Even if you reached CL Semi for one year, that doesn't necessarily mean your team reputation will grow over night. IMO, it should take at least about 5 years of good standing to increase your rep and attract more players.

I might get my facts wrong coz I don't follow football that often but didn't Porto won 2004 CL and yet their entire 1st team squad who played in the final left the team in 2004 or a year after in 2005? And they are also the league champions for a few years as well in Portugal. Of course, most of them go to Chelsea following Mourinho but I remembered one guy leaving for Spurs and they aren't even a CL side.

Your teams rep could be the highest but the nations and also the leagues rank is what is letting you down ... players dont want to play in ukraine when they can play in italy,spain and so forth

correct. Also the palyers you have listed might be at lesser sides but could sign for alot better than a team in the Ukraine semi final or not. Also, take pastore recently for example, had the opportunity to join a host of clubs, barca, madrid, united etc and turned them all down cause he didnt want to leave palermo. Thankfully not all players have a price :)

Archived