PDA

View Full Version : These forums

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]

chopper99
08-12-2008, 15:21
I just loved the guy in one thread who claimed that Liverpool would never conceed 3 goals to Portsmouth in real life so therefore, by default, he shouldn't in the game.

You have to laugh.....

CaptainPlanet
08-12-2008, 15:24
Without turning into too much of a rant, I genuinly think that most people want a 4-4-2 buy a couple of players in position where they think their supported cluib is lacking, and take them to glory.

I'm suprised the "difficulty mode" threads died down, as they're the sort of constructive suggestions that could improve the game in the future and make all the unhappy people, more content.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, the majority of the "SI EAT BABIES" posters aren't going to contribute constructively to a thread that will improve their gaming experience in the future.

Mike7077
08-12-2008, 15:25
"SI, give me my money back!"

I wonder if these people would demand their money back from the farmer for a side of bacon they bought in Tesco.

chopper99
08-12-2008, 15:30
"SI, give me my money back!"

I wonder if these people would demand their money back from the farmer for a side of bacon they bought in Tesco.

Why bother with the Farmer, I'd go straight to the pig itself and ask for my money back.

glamdring
08-12-2008, 15:32
Check out my location, i'm hoping no-one ever disgrees with me again because i'm obviously the all knowing FM player.

Well, given that you must be pushing on 100 I now re-appraise my opinion of you totally and declare that you are probably senile and have lost your marbles so I shouldn't take anything you say seriously :p

As for realism, was that "quote" you gave an exact one from somewhere or did you make it up? Just wondering because Whitley Bay were the club you mentioned and I've had a few games moving them into the BSN to start off. One, in FM06 was unrealistic as we won the Premiership in 12 seasons (mind you, we never won it again in the following 8), the other attempts were more realistic as I abandoned them :D

chopper99
08-12-2008, 15:36
I think I've figured something out. If your thread title looks inflammatory (yes I did need spell checker for that) in any way it will remain fairly high up on the boards.

If it looks remotely sensible it will slip down under the crap.

My next post is going to be titled 'SI are the anti-christ', that should keep it up near the top :D

Mike7077
08-12-2008, 15:40
It'll just get closed. Probably rightly so.

Nomis07
08-12-2008, 15:40
Why bother with the Farmer, I'd go straight to the pig itself and ask for my money back.

I'd go on the pigs forum and complain.

Mike7077
08-12-2008, 15:41
My, we're a grouchy bunch today! :D

Nomis07
08-12-2008, 16:09
As for realism, was that "quote" you gave an exact one from somewhere or did you make it up? Just wondering because Whitley Bay were the club you mentioned and I've had a few games moving them into the BSN to start off. One, in FM06 was unrealistic as we won the Premiership in 12 seasons (mind you, we never won it again in the following 8), the other attempts were more realistic as I abandoned them :D

Oh I made that up, but i've seen similarly stupid statements before. I saw one this morning about how unrealistic the game is because Ronaldo doesn't seem able to score 50 goals in one season :mad:

chopper99
08-12-2008, 16:20
It'll just get closed. Probably rightly so.

Ahh, but that's the clever bit you see. The content would actually be something intelligent, witty and constructive (at least it will be if I can find someone other than me to write it ;)), the title will only be used to draw the haters in and keep it at the top of the page.

It's a good plan and you know it.

Nomis07
08-12-2008, 16:26
Ahh, but that's the clever bit you see. The content would actually be something intelligent, witty and constructive (at least it will be if I can find someone other than me to write it ;)), the title will only be used to draw the haters in and keep it at the top of the page.

It's a good plan and you know it.

It doesn't have all the ingredients though and is doomed to fail. A fancy rude title isn't enough to keep the masses interested, where's the swearing and text speak? Where's the rant? What are you going to call the testers and what are you going to do to the people who disagree?

You would have to try and make a ranting, rude, sweary, texty, intellignet thread,

glamdring
08-12-2008, 16:33
Attracting all the idiots to a thread just to keep it floating near the top of the forum seems to have an obvious flaw...I just can't quite put my finger on what that flaw might be :p

chopper99
08-12-2008, 16:34
Attracting all the idiots to a thread just to keep it floating near the top of the forum seems to have an obvious flaw...I just can't quite put my finger on what that flaw might be :p

I have no idea what you're talking about :D

And if we can confine them all to one place somehow it can only be a good thing.

chopper99
08-12-2008, 16:35
It doesn't have all the ingredients though and is doomed to fail. A fancy rude title isn't enough to keep the masses interested, where's the swearing and text speak? Where's the rant? What are you going to call the testers and what are you going to do to the people who disagree?

You would have to try and make a ranting, rude, sweary, texty, intellignet thread,

At least I shouldn't have a problem finding someone to write it for me ;)

ilbrant
08-12-2008, 16:36
They're not as bad as the threads/posts that lay total blame on everything that is wrong with the game on the testers while simulataneously showing a total lack of knowledge of how testing/development for games work. IMO. :p

I've always read these and had to laugh at them, but I'm always somewhat disgusted that people can make such "attacks" on peoples professionalism without any real knowledge! But I wonder if there is something that could be done to help avoid them. I think a number of people would be interested in potentially seeing some of the "inner" workings of how a game is developed and tested, and maybe it would be possible to show that/explain without giving away all the little trade secrets that can't be disclosed, how do you define sign off criteria etc. that sort of thing.

If done right, you may even get some constructive input that helps catch some of those bugs that everyone complains about.

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 12:16
I found the perfect post to sum up the level of eejit currently using the forums.

So why don't the Fanboys respect the others (because since fm08 i have not seen such an attack by fanboys against those who say the game is buggy).

He then went on to say,

Play it or don't play it depending on the fun your having, but respect each other and help each.

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 12:21
Forums seem better today.

tefal
09-12-2008, 12:33
i've never really been on the forums much so couldn't say if there was a noticable difference in the behaviour of the average user. the only reason i've found myself on the forums in the last month is because i think the latest edition of fm is such a shocker. never needed to come on these forums because i've been too busy playing a game that i loved and wasted possibly years of my life playing. the only reason i think these forums have seen such an increase in abuse is that this new fm is so terrible. i'm sure i'm not alone in being the only person who sees these forums as the only way of voiceing their disappointment in what has been done to this game. in my view the activation was a shambles, the fact that the printing of the code on the back of the booklet could be read multiple ways was a juvenile mistake for a company of this size to make. once you had wasted hours of your time getting the game to run it might crash because you were stupid enough to look at your information screen or submit your team. also, again in my opinion, this game is too reliant on tactics and has lost a lot of the fun for the casual gamer. surely a game should be able to appeal to all its fan base.
if you don't want to receive complaints about something don't produce something that is going to generate complaints.

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 12:44
Please don't ruin the forum feedback thread with a game whinge.

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 12:46
if you don't want to receive complaints about something don't produce something that is going to generate complaints.

It's not a matter of receiving complaints, it's the way people go about making those complaints that irks people. The forums have seen multiple, duplicate threads and ranty posts, swearing posts etc etc, it really was pathetic.

I don't think anyone, by any stretch of the imagination, could say FM09 was perfect when it came out, but the level of abuse aimed at SI staff and even people who dared disagree was ridiculous.

I disagree that the forum was the only place where people could voice their concerns or grievances, do SI and Sega not have a customer support telephone number? It beggars belief that people in 2008 would be stupid enough to think complaining on a forum will solve their problem, yes they are allowed to complain on here, but posting a thread such as "Give me my money back SI" on an internet forum is the most idiotic thing i've ever experienced.

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 12:49
I hate generalisations, but...

Young people who play lots of computer games don't know how to post constructive feedback. They don't want to take the time and effort to do it, they don't see the benefit in it and it doesn't give them a good outlet for their anger.

tefal
09-12-2008, 13:30
i think that a game which has such a loyal and dedicated fan base is going to court abuse if it produces something that is, in my opinion, so sub standard. personally i wouldn't start throwing around insults as i can't imagine it would solve anything and i'm sure si never set out to produce a game that has generated such a reaction. personally i've now reached a stage where i'm not going to waste anymore of my time playing this game and feel that at the very least as a customer of almost 20 years i've a right to voice my opinion. i run my own business and would bend over backwards to find out why a loyal customer was so unhappy and to decide what could be done to resolve the situation. the nature of a forum is that its a place for discussion. everyone is entitled to their opinion

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 13:36
This isn't the forum to discuss it really, but I'm just surprised at all the negative threads and posts. To me the game is way better than in previous years. I just don't understand the difference between my experience and those of other people.

Also, I wish that word 'fanboy' would just die. As far as I can tell, there aren't any posters on this forum who could be described as such. It's getting to the point where I'm changing my mind and starting to think it deserves a warning.

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 13:42
I don't mind the term fanboy if it's used correctly - again it comes down to constructive criticism, those of us who disagree with rant posts/threads get labelled fanboys because if we air a grievance it's done in a sensible manner, we can't possible have a real opinion on the game unless it's emotion fueled.

glamdring
09-12-2008, 13:42
For the most part a forum like this is for players of the game to discuss issues with each other. Obviously it is also there for suggestions that SI can pick up on, but again that largely comes from a suggestion being discussed by the forum members. A forum is not the way to try to give customer feedback to the makers of the game in general because that is something that should just be sent directly to the game makers. Otherwise it just becomes a moan-fest.

glamdring
09-12-2008, 13:44
I don't mind the term fanboy if it's used correctly - again it comes down to constructive criticism, those of us who disagree with rant posts/threads get labelled fanboys because if we air a grievance it's done in a sensible manner, we can't possible have a real opinion on the game unless it's emotion fueled.

There's a correct usage of the term "fanboy"? :eek: I assumed it was just a 13 year old uneducated kids thing for people who haven't got the brain power to put sentances together using words that actually exist.

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 13:45
This isn't the forum to discuss it really, but I'm just surprised at all the negative threads and posts. To me the game is way better than in previous years. I just don't understand the difference between my experience and those of other people.

I'm starting to understand why the OTFers hate GQ...

VonBlade
09-12-2008, 13:46
There's a correct usage of the term "fanboy"? :eek: I assumed it was just a 13 year old uneducated kids thing for people who haven't got the brain power to put sentances together using words that actually exist.

Like "sentences" :D

Thank you I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 14:08
the nature of a forum is that its a place for discussion. everyone is entitled to their opinion

I hate to be a pompous ass (don't say anything glamdring), but IMO people are only entitled to expect their opinion be responded to in an appropriate manner if they have the brain power to provide reasons for their opinions and not just waffle.

glamdring
09-12-2008, 14:13
Like "sentences" :D

Thank you I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Aye, that's one of those words that I always get wrong. From time to time I look it up and get it right, but then come the next time I always have the same dilemma of remembering that I looked it up previously, but can't remember whether it was an "e" or and "a" so I just take a punt :p

Mind you...actually I could just claim it was a typo rather than admit there are words that I sometimes can't spell :p

tefal
09-12-2008, 14:15
I hate to be a pompous ass (don't say anything glamdring), but IMO people are only entitled to expect their opinion be responded to in an appropriate manner if they have the brain power to provide reasons for their opinions and not just waffle.

how ironic

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 14:20
how ironic

How so?

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 14:22

This couldn't be more spot on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they shouldn't expect to be respected if they cannot respect people themselves and provide reasoning as opposed to... well... waffle.

how ironic

Pretty much a case in point, sadly.

tefal
09-12-2008, 14:23
How so?

sorry, i don't have the brain power to provide reasons for my opinions

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 14:24

Now you're just being silly.

glamdring
09-12-2008, 14:28
Mebee he's just being honest. You never know!

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 14:33

What a very pathetic response, and a perfect example of what I had been talking about.

The sad thing is, tefal has shown the typical characteristics of a forum user and jumped on me because I dare disagree. I had no problem with his previous posts and was trying to provide reasoned debate, but some people just can't handle someone having the audacity to disagree with them :rolleyes:

glamdring
09-12-2008, 14:35
I'd have nothing to say at all if I had to agree with Nomis07 all the time...but I still manage to find things to say anyway :p

tefal
09-12-2008, 14:44
What a very pathetic response, and a perfect example of what I had been talking about.

The sad thing is, tefal has shown the typical characteristics of a forum user and jumped on me because I dare disagree. I had no problem with his previous posts and was trying to provide reasoned debate, but some people just can't handle someone having the audacity to disagree with them :rolleyes:

the reason i said that was that you had used the 'brain power' to dismiss what i had said previously. the irony part of it all was because on a thread that in its first posts had mentioned personal insults you had resulted to just that. to me a forum is somewhere where opinions are shared and i've no problems with anyone elses opinions, on something as trivial as a fm game, differing from mine.

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 14:45
I'd have nothing to say at all if I had to agree with Nomis07 all the time...but I still manage to find things to say anyway :p

We all know that you love me really. It's like being mean to the girls in primary school even though you find them exciting and mysterious :D Then you went and spoilt it all with your Soleanna revelations.

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 14:47
the reason i said that was that you had used the 'brain power' to dismiss what i had said previously. the irony part of it all was because on a thread that in its first posts had mentioned personal insults you had resulted to just that. to me a forum is somewhere where opinions are shared and i've no problems with anyone elses opinions, on something as trivial as a fm game, differing from mine.

Ahhh, now this is where things get lost in translation on the internet and people become a little bit precious, no offence. My point about brain power was about people who rant and swear in threads, I had no problem with anything you had posted until your irony post :) It was not an insult aimed at you in any way, but an insult aimed at people who take their rants too far and become abusive.

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 14:48
Ahhh, now this is where things get lost in translation on the internet and people become a little bit precious, no offence. My point about brain power was about people who rant and swear in threads, I had no problem with anything you had posted until your irony post :) It was not an insult aimed at you in any way, but an insult aimed at people who take their rants too far and become abusive.

Die in a fire fanboy.

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 14:50
Die in a fire fanboy.

Imagine how you'll feel if I actually do :( Imagine the knock on effects, glamdring would kill himself, Mike would have no-one who agrees with him all the time and chopper99 would have no one to agree with. GD would fall apart.

glamdring
09-12-2008, 14:50

He made a general point, he didn't mention you specifically so if you took it personally I assume it is because you feel it refers to you. In which case it is you who are ascribing "no brain power" to yourself. If you have brain power then it obviously wasn't referring to you so you needn't worry!

tefal
09-12-2008, 14:51

fair enough, can't argue with that. i agree there is never any need for personal insults/swearing/ranting, not just on internet forums but in any form of discussion. usually when people do start slinging them about it usually because they know they're not winning/getting their point across in the discussion.

chopper99
09-12-2008, 14:54

I'm sorry but at what point were any personal insults directed at you?

I've tried and tried to have reasonable discussions on this forum lately but, quite frankly, there are just a staggering number of idiotic halfwits around at the moment that I genuinely can't be bothered (that's not aimed at you btw tefal)

I think I'd have to agree with CaptainPlanet and say that I too am starting to realise why GD'ers are looked upon with such contempt by certain OTF members.

chopper99
09-12-2008, 14:58
Imagine how you'll feel if I actually do :( Imagine the knock on effects, glamdring would kill himself, Mike would have no-one who agrees with him all the time and chopper99 would have no one to agree with. GD would fall apart.

This is very true, I might have to start agreeing with Mike (God forbid :))

Having said that GD's already falling apart to be fair.

This thread is my only refuge at the moment.

chopper99
09-12-2008, 17:04
Do any of the mods fancy closing this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=77706&page=2

Despite our best efforts it just turned into the most pointless drivel I've ever seen.

glamdring
09-12-2008, 17:08
Do any of the mods fancy closing this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=77706&page=2

Despite our best efforts it just turned into the most pointless drivel I've ever seen.

With a thread title like that I'd have taken out a bank loan to go to the bookies and put odds on it turning to pointless drivel!

chopper99
09-12-2008, 17:10
That's very true, why I even got involved and tried to have any kind of sensible discussion in there is now beyond me.

Neji
09-12-2008, 17:15
I've posted a warning to keep it on topic.

chopper99
09-12-2008, 17:15
Cheers Neji. I'm staying well away from that thread from now on though.

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 17:16
It seems people are being allowed to get away with swearing. Am I right?

Nomis07
09-12-2008, 17:20

Not to mention hompohobic abuse as the member in question claimed that chopper and I were gay. He also insinuated that chopper would like to know what colour underwear a 7 year old is wearing.

I take no pleasure in seeing members banned, but I really expected him to get banned, considering the those two quotes.

Neji
09-12-2008, 17:21

In that thread?

I'm playing catch up ;)

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 17:24
In that thread?

I'm playing catch up ;)

The guy who had histrionics over being asked to type properly was gaily throwing swear words about.

bigguyinthesky
09-12-2008, 17:27
Cheers Neji. I'm staying well away from that thread from now on though.

don't blame you just read it its quite disturbing and totally not what forums are about sad really

bigguyinthesky
09-12-2008, 17:31
Not to mention hompohobic abuse as the member in question claimed that chopper and I were gay. He also insinuated that chopper would like to know what colour underwear a 7 year old is wearing.

I take no pleasure in seeing members banned, but I really expected him to get banned, considering the those two quotes.

thats what i found disturbing to insinuate someone is a pedophile it is not just wrong its bang out of order

leftback in the changing room
09-12-2008, 17:35
Personally, I'm absolutely sick of seeing "Fanboy" and "It's your tactics" in threads. Fanboy is bad enough, but IYT is cropping up time and time again and it's just an inflammatory response that should be treated as trolling and postboosting simultaneously. :mad:

This not NOT the same as writing suggestions about how to change tactics. What is currently happening is somebody writes a sweary rant about any topic - long shot goals, woodwork, activation problems, the weather in Belgium - and some Wilde-esque wit is bound to respond in whole: "It's your tactics". It wasn't funny two years ago, it was less funny last year and now it's grating like a bicycle wheel rim with no tyre today.

canvey!!
09-12-2008, 17:49
Wholeheartedly agree. It annoys me that people still think it is funny. Those posts add nothing to the forum and can alienate new users (even if they are already extremely annoyed by the game itself).

SCIAG
09-12-2008, 17:53
The guy who had histrionics over being asked to type properly was gaily throwing swear words about.
Oh, so now you're calling him gay? ;)

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 17:54
Oh, so now you're calling him gay? ;)

You're right. I guess I should be banned.. It was nice while it lasted. :(

TheOriginalJez
09-12-2008, 18:02
It's a shame, I like words like 'gaily' referring to its original meaning rather than it's modern connotation. and that doesn't include 'ass' - ass does and has always meant a donkey, and I won't hear anything to the contrary... :p

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 18:02
It's a shame, I like words like 'gaily' referring to its original meaning rather than it's modern connotation. and that doesn't include 'ass' - ass does and has always meant a donkey, and I won't hear anything to the contrary... :p

Don't be such a donkeyhole. :p

Suzie MUFC
09-12-2008, 18:14

I just lol'd. :D

CaptainPlanet
09-12-2008, 18:16
I admit that I've said "It's your tactics" too much recently - my mini way of venting at my frustration of the quality of recent posters I guess. I'll try to behave better in the future.

TheOriginalJez
09-12-2008, 18:17

:D see how beautiful language can be without such profanity? :p

Mike7077
09-12-2008, 18:18
I admit that I've said "It's your tactics" too much recently - my mini way of venting at my frustration of the quality of recent posters I guess. I'll try to behave better in the future.

The more you say it, the higher your chances of being right some of the time will be.

09-12-2008, 18:23

Seeing that you've been doing sterling work trying to reply to some of the threads in here I can imagine that IYT is preferable to my approach: a ten paragraph rant about people ignoring good advice.

It's the people who don't contribute to the forum and use it as a lazy way to add their

09-12-2008, 18:25
The more you say it, the higher your chances of being right some of the time will be.

In that case, I'll stick to "Sort it Out SI." Sooner or later they always do... :thup:

peter-evo
09-12-2008, 19:06
Hello again everyone, the state of the forums seems to have improved a bit but are still a nightmare. I haven't been on much recently due to this and an ever growing amount of school work... hope everyone is okay and hope the love is still in this thread (not searching through what I missed) :thup:

Celtic_1967
10-12-2008, 00:20
lmao @ donkeyhole. Tbf I think 'IYT' is ok in certain situations, but stangely enough these are 'off this forum situations'. I have been guilty of it when I was relativly new because I believed it to be funny but now it makes me cringe. I would like to see warnings for trolling and/or post boosting when it is used as 'the response in full'. However if someone uses and then goes on to back it up with genuine tactical advice and input on how the tactics were wrong and have cause the promlem then fine, let it go.

Just in case anyone was wondering what situations I find 'IYT' acceptable, usually when I'm talking with GD friends and something is not right, then it is genuinely funny, if a little old-hat!

Nomis07
10-12-2008, 08:52
I don't know eactly what's happened, but how come This Guy (http://www.community.sigames.com/member.php?u=88375/) got banned, when his abuse was tame compared to This Guy (http://www.community.sigames.com/member.php?u=109008/)??

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 08:55
Maybe he was an alias?

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 08:56
I've given up reporting posts now, I haven'ts een any reaction based on the last 10 or so posts I've reported. Clearly my expectations of internet forum etiquette are too high.

Nomis07
10-12-2008, 08:58
True, I suppose there are many things he could have done to get himself banned, but his posts weren't that bad.

I'm still slightly put off by the last fella getting a single warning/infraction despite text speak, swearing and abuse in the one thread, especially bad considering he had been told by countless members that his behaviour was unacceptable. As one of those people, you begin to wonder why you should bother pointing people in the right direction regards forum rules, maybe the mods hands are tied, but it looks as if they don't consider it as big an issue as other people.

Funny how talk of piracy receives an automatic ban, but abusing someone commands only a warning.

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 09:23
I've just been told to brownnose mods and praise an incomplete game. So....

GillsMan and Neji, I love you both so much! You're totally awesome!
Championship Manager 2009 is amazing!

;)

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 09:29
Don't forget, FM09 only deserves a 2 out of 10 because it's not as good as PES or Fifa.

chopper99
10-12-2008, 10:17
A couple of years ago when I was pretty new to the forums I used to wonder why Ackter, being an experienced member, was sometimes so short and brash with people.

Now I completely understand why, I'm losing the will to try and help people or have any kind of sensible discussion with them :(

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 10:21
I actually wish the likes of Ackter and dafuge and Jimbokav1974 were around more. They were much better at dealing with the nonsense than I am. I think they'd had enough, though.

glamdring
10-12-2008, 10:27
The biggest problem with "It's your tactics" is that 90% of the time it is true!

I guess people should update their 3 word (or 4 depending how you like to count "It's" :p) response with the more helpful response of "It's your tactics. Ask for help in the Tactics and Training Forum".

Nomis07
10-12-2008, 10:44
It doesn't matter what way you gloss it up, the response is still the same. I rarely say IYT outright and even go to the trouble of providing a link, but it's rarely appreciated, so I may as well just say IYT whether it's considered ignorant or not.

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 10:48
Ok, deep breath. Cup of coffee. Another deep breath.

I don't want to turn too cynical, I still want to help people out on the forum and I'm finding myself dragged down by the petty squabbles. Need to get back to basics and learn to ignore the rubbish and just help those with genuine questions, no matter how ignorant they are.

jimmywils
10-12-2008, 11:40
Im not a regular poster by any stretch but thats partly down to the fact that its the same set of questions that have been popping for 5 years now.

Whens the patch out?

Will the game work on this PC? (followed by a 500 line spec breakdown of said PC)

This game is (insert word of your choosing), i just lost. How can i win?

SI please respond....How can i get my money back?

How do SI get away with this?

Is this a bug?

When is the next patch out? (Usually asked about 5 mins after the old new one)

Blah Blah bloody blah

I really cannot be bothered to contribute to the same old arguments and threads. If someone has a genuine issue, or i find a good, interesting thread (rare i know) i will contribute.

I just completely ignore the hysterical goons. Makes me cringe with embarrasment sometimes. Especially the ones that are titled ''Miles, please respond''

Get a grip of yourself

jonead08
10-12-2008, 12:23
This last page is a great example of how SI's forums are struggling to provide what they set out to do (i'm not reading _all_ 44 pages to justify this ;) ). Somehow discussion topics are de-railed, re-railed, confused & obsfucted amongst the noise that we (the forum posters) make. We end up with ~100,000 posts and no way of finding what we're looking for anymore. it's a frustration in many ways, but at the same time, there's a balance to be struck between the smacktalk (enjoyable enough), and digging around to solve an FM problem in a thread that has over a 100 posts along the lines of "your player called my player fat!!11 omg ban".

i don't think that this is a problem unique to SI/FM (look at the Eve or WoW forums, for example), and nor do i think that the FM community needs to be curtailed. SI's commitment to the community/player-base has been excellent over the last 5-6 years, both listening and providing a feedback mechanism that is occasionally even acted upon.

However, i _do_ think that the current heirachal forum structure is the wrong tool. Consider what we want from forums ...

. a place to vent
. a place to compare notes
. a place to find solutions
. a place to smacktalk
. a place to suggest bits & pieces to SI

with a player-base of 100,000s the forums quickly becomes a tangled mess, difficult to moderate, difficult to navigate, difficult to find what you want. How many times have you ended up with more 20 threads open trying to solve a problem? - that points to the really fine balance between interaction (smacktalk, story-telling, etc), moderating out the noise (there is lots), and retreving information that you really want.

the forum makes the mistake that tv guides with 200 channels in do too: that you know what you're looking for before you find it. i don't mostly - i might know that (eg) the game goes funny in situation a,b,c, but the solution actually is hidden in an archived post about ATI gphx cards. how do i get from abc to the post? (answer, by browsing for 2 hours - not good!).

I'm not really trying to bash SI at all here, but the forum is not fit for purpose given the breadth and depth of what it tries to achieve.

Maybe there is a solution with tighter moderation (imo that needs to happen, but who wants to moderate/merge/prune ~10,000 posts/day?). More likely, there is a multi-faceted approach that might work better. perhaps,

. a wiki-like repository of info (think wowwiki, think thottbot) for faqs, solutions, tactical discussions. this allows for a tagged/cloud approach for navigating fast for what you need to know. wiki tags could even be invoked from inside the game, who knows (right-click on the russian league, on 442, on that player, etc,)?
. a forum is still needed for the "he said/she said", "i want to say", "listen to me", "miles i <3 you".
. a twitter/IM approach for super-fast problem solving & feedback?
. much much tighter moderation. all the best boards i've used have pretty stringent rules enforced, and frequent harvesting of white noise (i simply don't care about your irl views about darius vassal in a thread about how best to start a campaign with man city)
. having said that, perhaps the thoughts on darius would be well-placed as a link from wiki (man city) to a forum post relating to him ...

in conclusion. forum as it stands now doesn't work as well as it should. the linear & heirachal shape doesn't cover all the things we want to talk about well, and at the same time allow fast negotation of a huuuge amount of information. imagine if the whole content internet were orginized like this: you'd never find anything. instead we use tagged searches (eg google), wikis (eg wikipedia) and crosslinks between the two. it works like a dream (imo), providing a reasonably intuitive taxonomy of 100s of billions of pages of content. THAT is the approch that's needed.

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 12:28
Have you seen other game forums? This is one of the best ran and well organised that I've ever posted on.

jonead08
10-12-2008, 12:38
Have you seen other game forums? This is one of the best ran and well organised that I've ever posted on.

yes yes of course. i'm an avid eve player and have invested many hours in wow - both of these have similarly large (if not larger) forums, and for what it's worth i belive they suffer from the same issues.

i'm simply suggesting that the forums should form only one part of SI's community approach; that much of content can and should be delivered using a variety of media.

personally i feel a wiki would augment the forums fabulously (which have become bloated and top-heavy).

perhaps i missed the point of the OP, if so worry ye not.

hey-ho :)

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 12:43
Whislt I agree in principle, I don't think a big database with loads of information and all the answers to regular questions will stop everyone from posting duplicate threads.

Neji
10-12-2008, 12:44
I think you have a good point jonead08, is the wiki idea something that anyone can do?

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 12:47
http://footballmanager.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_2009

chopper99
10-12-2008, 12:48
Whislt I agree in principle, I don't think a big database with loads of information and all the answers to regular questions will stop everyone from posting duplicate threads.

No, but it will give the mods an excellent reason to quickly close these threads and somewhere to point the people too.

I think it's a decent idea.

jonead08
10-12-2008, 12:51
http://footballmanager.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_2009

yes! now bring it (or its dirty love-child) within the SI fold & cross-breed it with the forums ...

(and thnks for the link ...)

Soul_Linneus
10-12-2008, 13:04
Personally, I'm absolutely sick of seeing "Fanboy" and "It's your tactics" in threads. Fanboy is bad enough, but IYT is cropping up time and time again and it's just an inflammatory response that should be treated as trolling and postboosting simultaneously. :mad:

This not NOT the same as writing suggestions about how to change tactics. What is currently happening is somebody writes a sweary rant about any topic - long shot goals, woodwork, activation problems, the weather in Belgium - and some Wilde-esque wit is bound to respond in whole: "It's your tactics". It wasn't funny two years ago, it was less funny last year and now it's grating like a bicycle wheel rim with no tyre today.

How can the weather in Belgium of the activation issues be in your tactics?? ;)

Anyway, i know what you mean. I gets pretty boring to hear the same excuse every time. But it's equally annoying when you see people screaming "I cannot win, it's a bug!".

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 14:47
hunnybunio has just started up a thread for posting updates and I just want to ask the mods to give it a chance. In the interests of keeping things orderly, I reckon it might be good to edit the title slightly and make it into THE official GD save game update thread. Then we would have somewhere to direct people to if they happen to open their own threads on the subject.

Neji
10-12-2008, 14:53
I've seen the thread Mike and I'm happy for it to stay in here. It shouldn't be closed but maybe moved if necessary.

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 15:02
Much appreciated, Neji. Nice one for the title change, as well. :thup:

Glenn Wakeford
10-12-2008, 15:03
*waves*

I hate player naming.

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 15:06
*waves*

I hate player naming.

Wayne Rooney!

Ha, I know your weakness now...

Neji
10-12-2008, 15:08
Much appreciated, Neji. Nice one for the title change, as well. :thup:

Title change was not my doing, but thanks ;)

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 15:34
Title change was not my doing, but thanks ;)

Thanks just for being you. That's all I can really say.

Nomis07
10-12-2008, 15:45
Awh chaps, it's like a Vince Vaughan christmas film.

Neji
10-12-2008, 15:50
Thanks just for being you. That's all I can really say.

Awww Shucks :o

CaptainPlanet
10-12-2008, 16:02
Awh chaps, it's like a Vince Vaughan christmas film.

Oh god, I want that 90 minutes of my life back...can't believe wife dragged me to that pile of ****

Rams_
10-12-2008, 16:07
I notice that the test teams have completely disappeared from the testing forums this week... I hope that's because they're testing 9.02 :)

Nomis07
10-12-2008, 16:14
Oh god, I want that 90 minutes of my life back...can't believe wife dragged me to that pile of ****

I haven't been, but my other half keeps mentioning it as if it will be fun. She says it despite forcing me to watch Fred Clause last weekend and then saying it was awful as if she was shocked.

chopper99
10-12-2008, 16:44
I haven't been, but my other half keeps mentioning it as if it will be fun. She says it despite forcing me to watch Fred Clause last weekend and then saying it was awful as if she was shocked.

I really dislike any of these American comedies that have either Vince Vaughan or the guy who played Anchorman in. I find them stupid and not remotely funny, perhaps I'm just wierd?

As for the forums, they seem a little better today. I love my clever new location (go me!)

Nomis07
10-12-2008, 16:48
As for the forums, they seem a little better today. I love my clever new location (go me!)

:D Top notch. Nothing will beat the locations that turn_it_upto_11 used to have. He used a different Kevin Keegan quote every week and some of them were priceless, I wonder where he went to? He used to be a decent member.

chopper99
10-12-2008, 16:50
:D Top notch. Nothing will beat the locations that turn_it_upto_11 used to have. He used a different Kevin Keegan quote every week and some of them were priceless, I wonder where he went to? He used to be a decent member.

I love those KK quotes, they're absolutely top class. I'd forgotton all about turn_it_upto_11, I wonder what happened to him?

ahmufcwafc
10-12-2008, 16:57
Was just looking at turn it upto 11's profile, he's been banned. Dunno why though, he got no infraction points or anything.

chopper99
10-12-2008, 17:00
How strange, can anyone shed any light on this?

canvey!!
10-12-2008, 17:03
That'll be an IP address ban methinks.

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 17:57
I used to also wonder why experienced users were so rash with their replys but have found I am becoming the same and getting a bit of stick because of this :o

small Mac
10-12-2008, 18:55
Hi guys just a quick question; how do you properly multi-quote in one post i.e. to quote from two people in one post with the proper quotage info (e.g. 'posted by User1' at the top)?

I should really know how to do that by now!

canvey!!
10-12-2008, 18:56
There's a Quote button with every post which looks like http://community.sigames.com/images/fm2009/buttons/multiquote_off.gif. Click that, it gets highlighted, select all posts you wish to quote except for the last one you click http://community.sigames.com/images/fm2009/buttons/quote.gif.

small Mac
10-12-2008, 19:01
Hi guys just a quick question; how do you properly multi-quote in one post i.e. to quote from two people in one post with the proper quotage info (e.g. 'posted by User1' at the top)?

I should really know how to do that by now!

There's a Quote button with every post which looks like http://community.sigames.com/images/fm2009/buttons/multiquote_off.gif. Click that, it gets highlighted, select all posts you wish to quote except for the last one you click http://community.sigames.com/images/fm2009/buttons/quote.gif.

Test Test Test

small Mac
10-12-2008, 19:02
It worked! Cheers Pal :thup:

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 19:02
Test Test Test
Worked :D Type inbetween the quotes you want to reply to and you are away.

small Mac
10-12-2008, 19:10
Worked :D Type inbetween the quotes you want to reply to and you are away.

Yeah cheers i'm not a complete noob (approaching 8 years now)! :D

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 19:14
Yeah cheers i'm not a complete noob (approaching 8 years now)! :D
Ahh yes, just thought you were, didn't look at your join date :p

dafuge
10-12-2008, 19:33
I actually wish the likes of Ackter and dafuge and Jimbokav1974 were around more. They were much better at dealing with the nonsense than I am. I think they'd had enough, though.

I'll be around here a lot more during the holidays, I just don't have to much time during working weeks so I tend to spend more time in the CSE forum which I moderate.

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 19:35
I'll be around here a lot more during the holidays, I just don't have to much time during working weeks so I tend to spend more time in the CSE forum which I moderate.
Just thought I would tell you Dafuge how frustrating and addictive your challenge is and how I wish you had never made it.

I have noticed the likes of Nomis, Dafuge, Ackter etc have not been on a great deal recently.

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 19:42
Just thought I would tell you Dafuge how frustrating and addictive your challenge is and how I wish you had never made it.

I have noticed the likes of Nomis, Dafuge, Ackter etc have not been on a great deal recently.

Nomis has been on all day this week until he leaves work.

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 21:24
Nomis has been on all day this week until he leaves work.
Seems I have just missed him then, oh well. I notice you are on all the time

ahmufcwafc
10-12-2008, 21:27

You see that's where your wrong Peter. He's offline now ;):D

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 21:30
You see that's where your wrong Peter. He's offline now ;):D
:D You sarcastic git, I suppose I did ask for that.

Nearly at 2000 posts I see, just another level of addiction :D

ahmufcwafc
10-12-2008, 21:39
:D You sarcastic git, I suppose I did ask for that.

Nearly at 2000 posts I see, just another level of addiction :D

Yeah just 98 posts to go :D

You're at 2600 posts already? I'm almost sure I remember being a few hundred posts ahead of you a month or two ago. Then again, I've been posting less & less recently due to Christmas exams at school & the general state of the forums these days.

Anyway, quality over quantity :D

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 21:41
Yeah just 98 posts to go :D

You're at 2600 posts already? I'm almost sure I remember being a few hundred posts ahead of you a month or two ago. Then again, I've been posting less & less recently due to Christmas exams at school & the general state of the forums these days.

Yes, I have shot up recently but most of my posts are replies to "I can't activate" threads. Personally, I think there are many users here who are much better members than me but I have a higher post count.

Edit: and by shot up, I mean my post count.

ahmufcwafc
10-12-2008, 21:53
Yes, I have shot up recently but most of my posts are replies to "I can't activate" threads. Personally, I think there are many users here who are much better members than me but I have a higher post count.

Go into OTF, & you'll find that you have a relatively low post count compared to most people on that forum.

I certainly consider you as being one of the better posters in GQ, so I don't know what you're worrying about (that is, if you are). Also, you have to take into consideration that you're only 13.:eek: So, I can say with confidence that you are the best 13 year old poster on this forum, if that makes you feel any better :D

peter-evo
10-12-2008, 21:56
Go into OTF, & you'll find that you have a relatively low post count compared to most people on that forum.

I certainly consider you as being one of the better posters in GQ, so I don't know what you're worrying about (that is, if you are). Also, you have to take into consideration that you're only 13.:eek: So, I can say with confidence that you are the best 13 year old poster on this forum, if that makes you feel any better :D
It would make me feel better, if I didn't take into account that I am one of the only 13 year old posters.

My main quality is that I have fairly good patience but if I am trying to help someone who is just giving me abuse I will stand my ground.

The post count in OTF is crazy, that is why I don't go there, I am quite proud of my 2600 but over there it would seem so tiny. :D

fm09ytube
10-12-2008, 22:20
I've just been told to brownnose mods and praise an incomplete game. So....

GillsMan and Neji, I love you both so much! You're totally awesome!
Championship Manager 2009 is amazing!

;)

you'll go far

Mike7077
10-12-2008, 22:31

I'm on pretty much all day while at work. In the evenings, I tend to dip in and out while playing FM.

Nomis07
11-12-2008, 09:51

Luckily I have a delightful blend of both :cool:

Anyways, I notice that the threads I had taken any interest in have disappeared to a page that I can't be bothered flicking to. I see the Wakers thread has been closed, I had to laugh at Dicko99's "dig" at me when he said I was obviously a wannabe mod, Neji close dit before I got the chance to say "yes" :(

Mike7077
11-12-2008, 09:55
Luckily I have a delightful blend of both :cool:

Anyways, I notice that the threads I had taken any interest in have disappeared to a page that I can't be bothered flicking to. I see the Wakers thread has been closed, I had to laugh at Dicko99's "dig" at me when he said I was obviously a wannabe mod, Neji close dit before I got the chance to say "yes" :(

That guy has infractions coming out of his nostrils.

On a serious note, it now looks like the following rules apply if you wish not to be called a wannabe mod or a fanboy:-

a) don't praise the game, especially if you're disagreeing with somebody who is complaining.
b) don't advise people on how they should post, even though there are rules and you might think you're being helpful.
c) at all costs, AVOID WINNING ANY ARGUMENTS! That's when the crap really comes out, usually with reference to your post count.

Nomis07
11-12-2008, 10:02
Good list Mike, mine would be a simple "if you don't want to be called a fanboy or wannabe mod, be a gimp".

CaptainPlanet
11-12-2008, 11:29
must, not, kill, maker of kettles...

Mike7077
11-12-2008, 13:42
I must say, the game update thread started yesterday hasn't taken off as much as I'd hoped. I intend to keep posting in it, though, even if nobody pays any attention!

fattyg
11-12-2008, 13:46
I must say, the game update thread started yesterday hasn't taken off as much as I'd hoped. I intend to keep posting in it, though, even if nobody pays any attention!

Where is it?

Mike7077
11-12-2008, 13:50
Down near the bottom of the first page.

Nomis07
11-12-2008, 14:25
I've added to it Mike :)

Mike7077
11-12-2008, 14:28
I've added to it Mike :)

Aww. Just for me? :)

Nomis07
11-12-2008, 14:53
Aww. Just for me? :)

No, I have a personalised version just for you ;)

peter-evo
11-12-2008, 15:06
No, I have a personalised version just for you ;)
Quick question Nomis, what times are you on these forums as I keep missing you and also...

Yes, you do have a blend of both.

chopper99
11-12-2008, 15:08
Quick question Nomis, what times are you on these forums as I keep missing you and also....

Awww, I'm sure he misses you too :D

peter-evo
11-12-2008, 15:09
Awww, I'm sure he misses you too :D
:D That is what you get for not reading what you say aloud ey? I know what I meant.

chopper99
11-12-2008, 15:11
:D That is what you get for not reading what you say aloud ey? I know what I meant.

As long as you knew then that's all that matters ;)