View Full Version : These forums

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

tottenham2k7
18-11-2008, 11:33
Gills mate, i really think you should close this before people get angry :D

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 11:34
Gills mate, i really think you should close this before people get angry :D

Seriously, I must have missed something, because the original topic is still open. I'm so :confused:.com - I genuinely can't understand what the issue could be.

Anyway, merging is often better than closing IMO (where appropriate anyway).

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 11:34
Have I missed something here? Giggler's topic is still open. Look, it's not far away from this one on the forum front page. Are you really annoyed that we closed a duplicate thread? Not sure how that constitutes limiting freedom of topic tbh, because the same topic is still alive and well, albeit in it's original thread.

Yea that's the irony. :)

My thread was a mistake. My issue is with MY thread being closed. I'm not upset or anything. Just amused by the irony. I'm glad to now know the standard of topic. :thup:

tottenham2k7
18-11-2008, 11:35
yeh i know that, but he dosnt obviusly!
and he will carry on rabbiting on unless he finally realises its still OPEN!!!
Your issuse is with your thread being closed??
BUT YOURS WAS OFF TOPIC COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 11:37
Seriously, I must have missed something, because the original topic is still open. I'm so :confused:.com - I genuinely can't understand what the issue could be.

Anyway, merging is often better than closing IMO (where appropriate anyway).

Yes total misunderstanding, which adds to the irony. :rolleyes:

Activation nears and I'm getting excited ... :o

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 11:37
Yea that's the irony. :)

My thread was a mistake. My issue is with MY thread being closed. I'm not upset or anything. Just amused by the irony. I'm glad to now know the standard of topic. :thup:

But regardless, in the thread I closed you still said it was a bit rash closing a duplicate thread. Which is an odd thing to say, tbh. Not sure why you'd want the pleasure of posting in the exact same thread twice at the same time. Bizarre. And don't be offended by your thread being closed, it happens to the best of us.

Giggle me this Giggler ... how does one have their debut thread closed?

Moderators, does creating duplicate threads warrant a thread closure? Seems a bit rash.

The giggly one made a smashing debut. I'd say I am very pleased to delighted.

7.1 :thup:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=66317

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 11:38
yeh i know that, but he dosnt obviusly!
and he will carry on rabbiting on unless he finally realises its still OPEN!!!
Your issuse is with your thread being closed??
BUT YOURS WAS OFF TOPIC COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!

hipster in the hen house!! :eek:

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 11:41
But regardless, in the thread I closed you still said it was a bit rash closing a duplicate thread. Which is an odd thing to say, tbh. Not sure why you'd want the pleasure of posting in the exact same thread twice at the same time. Bizarre. And don't be offended by your thread being closed, it happens to the best of us.

Yea it was a mistake. I thought I pointed it out but was not clear initially. I thought giggler deleted one thread (he promised he would ... dirty lying giggler), and the other would live on. When I looked for it I found only one closed. Mistake.

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 11:43
Yea it was a mistake. I thought I pointed it out but was not clear initially. I thought giggler deleted one thread (he promised he would ... dirty lying giggler), and the other would live on. When I looked for it I found only one closed. Mistake.

You failed then. You should be banned. No, that would be rash! ;) :D :thup: (is that enough smilies to make clear I'm joking, yet?)

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 11:45
This thread should be stickied. Thanks Gillsman for pointing me to it. :)

chopper99
18-11-2008, 11:50
Gills, did you know that since the merge this thread is no longer named 'These Forums'? It now has the title of the thread started by Atredis71.

Or are there now two?

EDIT: Ignore me, it's back to it's correct name again :o

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 11:55
Ewh, GillsMan has went down in my estimations, I thought only emos/goths used horrible phrases like "i'm confused.com". Shame on you!

I find goths particularly annoying, they are obviously irritating, but I find myself attracted to goth women so that makes me annoyed with myself. Shame on me!

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 11:56
Ewh, GillsMan has went down in my estimations, I thought only emos/goths used horrible phrases like "i'm confused.com". Shame on you!

I find goths particularly annoying, they are obviously irritating, but I find myself attracted to goth women so that makes me annoyed with myself. Shame on me!

I have a crush on my mate's emo sister. :eek:

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:02
Gills, did you know that since the merge this thread is no longer named 'These Forums'? It now has the title of the thread started by Atredis71.

Or are there now two?

EDIT: Ignore me, it's back to it's correct name again :o

LOL.

Before my thread was merged in I was gonna change the name to "How to waste another hour till activation."

p.s. note how I can subtly stick it to them with the activation card. :)

chopper99
18-11-2008, 12:06

Indeed, what is it about goth girls that makes them strangely attractive?

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 12:08

Buy a 30 Seconds to Mars T Shirt, or some guyliner and she'll be all over you :D

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:08
Shh! Don't make them close it!

I'm further amused that my nonsense followed this warning. Irony is marking me out of the game today.

Sorry to interrupt the goth-girl debate. They're hot. :thup:

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 12:10
Buy a 30 Seconds to Mars T Shirt, or some guyliner and she'll be all over you :D

I guess charm and sparkling wit aren't enough, huh?

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 12:10
Indeed, what is it about goth girls that makes them strangely attractive?

It's annoying, because they are usually very annoying and think they know everything about anything that means something.

I'm just a sucker for dark hair and glasses, a lip piercing is a bonus :thup: Unfortunately if a woman is even slightly goth i.e. has dark hair, my wife thinks I must be in lvoe with her, which isn't always the case.

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 12:12
I guess charm and sparkling wit aren't enough, huh?

That would help, but i'm just working with the tools you have a your disposal ;) :D

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 12:13
So....these forums, eh? Any comments anyone wants to make about them? This being the These Forums thread? ;)

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:14
It's annoying, because they are usually very annoying and think they know everything about anything that means something.

I'm just a sucker for dark hair and glasses, a lip piercing is a bonus :thup:

I favor the look over the attitude. Cheer up girls, you're smart and good looking.

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 12:15
So....these forums, eh? Any comments anyone wants to make about them? This being the These Forums thread? ;)

These forums don't have enough goth girl members.

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 12:16
These forums don't have enough goth girl members.

I agree with this.

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:16

These Forums is the place to be!!

Any Norte Americanos waiting for activation in here with me?

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 12:23
These Forums is the place to be!!

Any Norte Americanos waiting for activation in here with me?

You're going to really hate me, but...click me (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61764). :thup:

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:26
You're going to really hate me, but...click me (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61764). :thup:

LOL. That one is an old favorite, but it has kinda lost its steam.

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 12:38
LOL. That one is an old favorite, but it has kinda lost its steam.

Reignite it by posting in it then? :thup:

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:47
Reignite it by posting in it then? :thup:

Maybe later when more of my NA posse are awake. Until then I'll waste the remaining hours the old fashioned way - civIV. Adios.

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 12:49
Maybe later when more of my NA posse are awake. Until then I'll waste the remaining hours the old fashioned way - civIV. Adios.

I hate CivIV - I start playing it at 6pm, after what feels like an hour, it's like 5am and I need to be up in an hour. Too addictive for words!

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 12:51
Same here GillsMan, last christmas I bought the bumper collection of Civ games and WOW, neither have left the wrapper as I know they will take over my life.

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 12:53
When the subject turns to gaming (other than FM), Mike7077 loses interest. Can't we talk about goth girls again?

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 12:54
Anyone see the latest futbol brawl from Montevideo? Smashing!

I founded Hinduism and Judaism so far, but fear my neighbors.

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 13:15
I'm happy enough to talk about goth girls again, but we have to try and link it in to the forums somehow. Gotta be honest, i'm struggling to think of a link.

chopper99
18-11-2008, 13:34

I'm just a sucker for dark hair and glasses, a lip piercing is a bonus :thup: Unfortunately if a woman is even slightly goth i.e. has dark hair, my wife thinks I must be in lvoe with her, which isn't always the case.

I'm the same, I think it's the dark eye makeup that does it for me.

Strangely, my fiancee is a natural blonde and fairly pale skinned :confused:

Anyway, back on topic. It seems the forums are starting to generate reasonable discussion about FM09 now, which can only be aa good thing.

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 13:39
It's pretty good atm, but I think we should be thanking the mods because most of the rants/duplicates are dealt with pretty quickly.

leftback in the changing room
18-11-2008, 13:44

There is no hope for you :p

Bringing the thread vaguely back on topic: Mods, would this last page of mildly irrelevent but good natured banter indicate that a GD off-topic thread would have legs? OTF is law unto itself.

Also I'd like to congratulate the mod who made the "Challenges and sign-ups" section accessible to view by non-members, seeing that it is full of people:
1) Playing the game and
2) enjoying it.
Which was the case with FM07 and FM08 as well.

If I was a first time visitor to GD I'd be convinced that nobody had got their game working and it wasn't worth the trouble if you finally did get your activation key right.

Still - financial penury means I won't be buying the game until December, so I hopefully have missed the worst of the activation key + certificate + busy server issues. Once you get past that it appears that there are relatively few problems with the gameplay (as compared to last year).

Oh well - back to lurking on CSE and GD...

18-11-2008, 13:51
I'm happy enough to talk about goth girls again, but we have to try and link it in to the forums somehow. Gotta be honest, i'm struggling to think of a link.

Now that's a challenge worth attempting! Let's see... Christian Ronaldo is hugely overrated and he looks like a goth girl. Sorted.

Anyway, back on topic. It seems the forums are starting to generate reasonable discussion about FM09 now, which can only be aa good thing.

Plenty to talk about with the 3D engine and the updated tactics and transfer system. How to refine, display and effectively use the Assistant Manager advice is something that we should be looking at for FM10.

It's pretty good atm, but I think we should be thanking the mods because most of the rants/duplicates are dealt with pretty quickly.

The extra mods have done an excellent job. The ridiculously huge volume of posts has died down and the forum is almost readable!

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 13:54
Let's be honest. If you take away all the problems with activation, the game has been massively better received than FM08 was. Indeed, FM07 wasn't received this well either. The amount of crazy rants about the actual game is down considerably on last year.

MartinGregory84
18-11-2008, 13:58
I have no beef with anyone on here so dont insult but If someone insults me I dont really care because at end of the day they are proper hard doing it over a computer.

I found the insults towards SI on Launch day a bit OTT though they chose a method and it didnt work properly for some people at first. GIve them credit for sticking around trying to help people until nearly 10 pm

chopper99
18-11-2008, 14:11
Let's be honest. If you take away all the problems with activation, the game has been massively better received than FM08 was. Indeed, FM07 wasn't received this well either. The amount of crazy rants about the actual game is down considerably on last year.

I agree, the game seems a lot more stable and bug free this year. Considering the jump to 3D that's pretty impressive.

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 14:35
GIve them credit for sticking around trying to help people until nearly 10 pm

I noticed Ter and Miles answering threads on Sunday night, so you can't fault the customer service.

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 15:10
GIve them credit for sticking around trying to help people until nearly 10 pm

It was more than that - Murray seemed to be pulling an all-nighter, and there were plenty of staff on until the early hours of the morning. That has to be applauded IMO.

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 15:53
We need to get a message to Ched that it's safe to come back!

chopper99
18-11-2008, 15:53
It was more than that - Murray seemed to be pulling an all-nighter, and there were plenty of staff on until the early hours of the morning. That has to be applauded IMO.

Agreed, I was one of the many frustrated people unable to activate the game. And while it should never have happened in the first place the sheer amount of both Mods and SI staff who were making their presence felt on the forum and helping people was fantastic.

So kudos to both SI and the mods for that, I'm sure it went a long way to helping the situation not get too out of hand.

Glyn
18-11-2008, 16:34
I found the insults towards SI on Launch day a bit OTT though they chose a method and it didnt work properly for some people at first. GIve them credit for sticking around trying to help people until nearly 10 pm

I was about till about 2am and Serps was around even longer, and there were still SI bods about when I had to call it a night.

peter-evo
18-11-2008, 17:30
I got loads of help on Friday night from that Muzkip or something likrh that, the Sega lad. I was on at11:55 and he was PMing me stuff. The customer service is tops.

Nomis07
18-11-2008, 17:41
We need to get a message to Ched that it's safe to come back!

Haha, he really did up and leave :D Auf wiedersehen chaps, i'm off home to tell my wife about our goth girls conversation and sleep on the settee.

chopper99
18-11-2008, 17:44
Haha, he really did up and leave :D Auf wiedersehen chaps, i'm off home to tell my wife about our goth girls conversation and sleep on the settee.

Good luck with that one. I'm surprised she's still with you considering your chopper related erectile problems ;)

Kain
18-11-2008, 17:54
I missed a conversation about goth girls? 5 years I've been waiting for an interesting topic on these forums!!

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 17:57
There was a brief flirtation with the subject until someone pointed out it's off-topic. Shame. It genuinely captured my interest.

peter-evo
18-11-2008, 17:57
I missed a conversation about goth girls? 5 years I've been waiting for an interesting topic on these forums!!
Ha :D, and me, though I want to say they do have an attraction. It is just their style :eek:

Ozzy38
18-11-2008, 21:52
a lip piercing is a bonus :thup:

No, a lip piercing is nice decoration. A tongue piercing is what I call a bonus! :thup:

Seriously, I don't get what the problem is?

People are dumb.

It's a pretty big problem!

Nomis07
19-11-2008, 14:44
I didn't want to start a new thread for a stupid question, so how do you make FM09 windowed? IIRC FM08 was just a tick box, but I don't see any tick box in the preferences section for FM09.

Jay_Awes
19-11-2008, 14:57
I didn't want to start a new thread for a stupid question, so how do you make FM09 windowed? IIRC FM08 was just a tick box, but I don't see any tick box in the preferences section for FM09.

Options>Preferences>Displayandsound>Display mode

Dropdown box just click wondowed.

Now I have a stupid question of my own.

1. Can istill dothat mentor thing where I get an old veteran striker to coach a young up and comer? I cant find the option.

chopper99
19-11-2008, 15:01
1. Can istill dothat mentor thing where I get an old veteran striker to coach a young up and comer? I cant find the option.

Yes you can, it's done in exactly the same way as it was in '09.

I'm assuming though that because players can now learn ppm's themselves tutoring will only allow players to improve their mental and hidden attributes. I'm not 100% sure though.

Nomis07
19-11-2008, 15:04
:thup: Jay Awes, thanks for that.

Murf666
19-11-2008, 15:13
I hate CivIV - I start playing it at 6pm, after what feels like an hour, it's like 5am and I need to be up in an hour. Too addictive for words!

I feel your pain. There is no such thing as a "last turn" with that game!

VonBlade
20-11-2008, 01:57
Just one more turn to finish building my UN then I can enforce Emancipation and cause riots in those lesser nations. Oh it's done, well just one more and I'll finish building this pasture. Damn I'm only one away from completing my trade for copper. Oh now I ... repeat until we get old and grey. Or in my case, older and greyer.

CaptainPlanet
20-11-2008, 21:55
Back on topic.

The forums have been good for the last few days, people are really getting a good community spirit, even amongst the whinges and pirates.

vincenzo incendio
20-11-2008, 22:01
I wish SI would allow avatars.

canvey!!
20-11-2008, 22:21
I don't. It would make everything too cluttered. I like this board partly because of its simplicity. And I can't really turn off avatars if they were permitted, as I need them on to see who are SI staff.

Another discussion that was had a little while back, was about the use of the words fanboy and moaner. Now, I think it was agreed that neither of those words should be acceptable, but are people reporting the use of them (fanboy in particular), or would people be willing to report the use of them? - And would there need to be forum-wide knowledge before they can be moderated as a derogatory term?

CaptainPlanet
20-11-2008, 22:24
I think expecting a community not to use specific words that aren't common swear words is too unrealistic.

Fanboy and moaner are also often used in a non seriously derogative way, so I'd be against implementing that personally. But I can see why it annoys some people.

vincenzo incendio
20-11-2008, 22:52
I like having avatars because it adds a bit of personality to each poster and gives everyone a "face."

Without avatars it's like having a group discussion in the dark. :)

GillsMan
21-11-2008, 00:37
I hate the term fanboy, it's absolutely pathetic when used as an insult. However, we can't ban a particular word that isn't a recognised expletive really, for the same reasons mentioned by CP.

I usually just appreciate the fact that anyone resorting to that term has run out of ideas and other arguments, hence is resorting to labelling people "fanboys". Pathetic really. :(

Nomis07
21-11-2008, 09:31
Another discussion that was had a little while back, was about the use of the words fanboy and moaner. Now, I think it was agreed that neither of those words should be acceptable, but are people reporting the use of them (fanboy in particular), or would people be willing to report the use of them? - And would there need to be forum-wide knowledge before they can be moderated as a derogatory term?

I hate the term fanboy, especially when some eejit uses it against someone like Ched who had voiced many concerns about FM08.

The probelm is not the term, but the way in which it is used. Of course it's usually an attempt beat someone down and belittle them, but as GillsMan says, we should probably just laugh that off and a majority of the community know how stupid the offender has been. There are members who seem to use it as a throw away term, i've got annoyed with phillyflyer on a few occasions because every thread he contributes to he uses the word fanboy, however i've come to believe he isn't using it in an offensive way and is just labelling someone he believes to be defending the game because they like it and not seeing sense.

I have reported fanboy on a few occasions, but I suppose it's difficult for a mod to justify giving members who are being a bit thick, the same punishment as someone who has committed piracy or is constantly abusing people/using foul language.

On the plus side, I think skorp, GillsMan and Neji are sensible enough to give someone a slap on the wrist in most instances, but ban/warn if it goes too far.

chopper99
21-11-2008, 09:50
I have to say that these forums have been great over the last few weeks, mainly since Skorp, Gillsman and Neji started moderating. As well as swiftly dealing with problems and closing pointless threads they've also allowed the odd thread to stay open that's involved a bit of fun and banter.

This is just as important as closing the troublesome threads imo, and some threads that have started out as troublesome have been turned around into light hearted discussions, which in turn allows the community to interact and seems to have made a lot of people try a little harder to be helpful.

So KUTGW fellas. After spending 3 years mainly in this forum I completely lost interest in it a few months ago and started spending all of my time in the other forums. But I now very much enjoy GD again.

CaptainPlanet
21-11-2008, 09:55
Agreed, the mods have kept things in order very well.

Although infractions for rickrolling still feels harsh :p

canvey!!
21-11-2008, 17:49
I don't like the new colour scheme. The last post button is the same as the first new post button, but sideways :thdn:.

Nomis07
21-11-2008, 17:55
I like it, but I don't like the threads created about it :rolleyes: Are some people just thread tarts who like to see their name at the top of a shiney new thread?

canvey!!
21-11-2008, 17:57
I love starting threads. I've started 22. But all of them (http://community.sigames.com/search.php?searchid=409455) are useful/meaningful threads. I can control myself ;).

EDIT: Apart from maybe the thread titled "Crisps!" :)

peter-evo
21-11-2008, 17:59
I really like, thought I had broke something at first but the thread actually relaxed me a little bit

I vote for this thread to be re-stickied for some less-meaningful ones.

Nomis07
21-11-2008, 17:59
I like creating threads, and as I type them I think "this is really good, it's bound to get a good response", then it falls flat on its face and gets about 3 replies. I shouldn't take it to heart though, the thread about the new look has nearly 30 replies so that says enough :p

peter-evo
21-11-2008, 18:02
I like creating threads, and as I type them I think "this is really good, it's bound to get a good response", then it falls flat on its face and gets about 3 replies. I shouldn't take it to heart though, the thread about the new look has nearly 30 replies so that says enough :p
I have had a few, like "if FM was a woman", that did okay and I recreated an accidentally closed thread by Trekman and got 100+ posts, maybe that is a hint :(

canvey!!
21-11-2008, 18:02
I find that. :D. It's worst in the little hamlets of the site like the Editor's Hideaway, where no one responds unless they know the answer. But I started a "Would I Lie To You?" thread in OFT and it pretty much blinked and then died.

peter-evo
21-11-2008, 18:05
I find that. :D. It's worst in the little hamlets of the site like the Editor's Hideaway, where no one responds unless they know the answer. But I started a "Would I Lie To You?" thread in OFT and it pretty much blinked and then died.
:D, My "Goal of the month" and "How are you doing after 6 months in the demo" threads both got about 3 posts.

Mike7077
21-11-2008, 18:09

I tend to think you create what I would call "Thinkers' Threads." They invite people to think and use their brains. But the majority of threads round here are not of that ilk. I always like your threads, but I'm a "Thinker." There aren't many of us on here.

homerjnick
22-11-2008, 18:10
What really irks me is users not searching, I mean even when there is a thread just two lines down.....

There may be new people to forums but how can it be stressed on how to search?

The Tiger mac patch issue this place was littered with that same issue....

GillsMan
22-11-2008, 18:13
Homerjnick - it's simple ignorance. I go to plenty of forums where I'm a noob - and I always do a thorough search before my first post. It's simple good manners IMO.

Ozzy38
22-11-2008, 21:56
What's with the sudden rush of "this game sucks" threads? I thought they died out. Bah!

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:04
What's with the sudden rush of "this game sucks" threads? I thought they died out. Bah!
I know yeah, was just relaxing when they all just pop up on screen, I try and pop up FM but my team look no better (location)

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:07
I just got told to grow up by Liam-Shannon. Now that has tempted me to exit these forums forever.

Ozzy38
22-11-2008, 22:14
I've felt the whole forum's average IQ lower back to two digits today.

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:15
I've felt the whole forum's average IQ lower back to two digits today.
Yep, I visited London today so have missed most of the day but on return it really has made me wonder what I am doing here.

ahmufcwafc
22-11-2008, 22:26
Don't worry about Liam-Shannon peter - he's banned now anyways. :D You're not the only one whose been abused on here since FM09 was released - a lot of abusive people on the forums these days. :(

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:33
I agree, it will soon die down though and we will be left with the FMers that are constructive. We will carry on getting people who don't like the game but as long as I do I am not too bothered, I just try and help them obtain a better experience but at the moment, if I do that I just get abused. Makes me wonder why I bother.

homerjnick
22-11-2008, 22:39
There was a guy last night and all this morning jolls something who was DEMANDING a patch.

I tried to reason with him on the patching process but it was trying to reason with a kid.

His threads were closed but man there have been some right moaners recently, that Tiger issue was really bad for stupid posters on here.

Glyn
22-11-2008, 22:42
I just got told to grow up by Liam-Shannon. Now that has tempted me to exit these forums forever.

He was just acting up and it was only a matter of time before he was banned. You get to recognise those that are likely to keep pushing rather than go away and calm down for a bit.

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:45
There was a guy last night and all this morning jolls something who was DEMANDING a patch.

I tried to reason with him on the patching process but it was trying to reason with a kid.

His threads were closed but man there have been some right moaners recently, that Tiger issue was really bad for stupid posters on here.
Ey, Im a kid ;) But there are too many people who come on here clueless then post poorly layed out posts demanding something that is not possible. It's like demanding Fifa 2010 now or something along those lines.

As I said; soon these forums will be back too their bests.

ahmufcwafc
22-11-2008, 22:46

I saw him - was quite surprised to see that he wasn't given infraction tbh. But we're going to get people like him on these forums all the for the next few weeks, nothing we can do about that really. But at least it will die down eventually - until the next patch is released of course. :rolleyes:

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:47
I saw him - was quite surprised to see that he wasn't given infraction tbh. But we're going to get people like him on these forums all the for the next few weeks, nothing we can do about that really. But at least it will die down eventually - until the next patch is released of course. :rolleyes:
I dread a new patch, will bring em all back. Plus other than the tactic screen problem, I could play like this for the rest of the year.

homerjnick
22-11-2008, 22:49
I am really enjoying my game, I just hope SI say something soon about the 2nd patch so people can read that (well maybe) so they don't post "When is the next patch" or "Fix this!!!"

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:52
I am really enjoying my game, I just hope SI say something soon about the 2nd patch so people can read that (well maybe) so they don't post "When is the next patch" or "Fix this!!!"
Would help immensely in my opinion. Maybe they could try and stop the lagging in the 2D Classic but I doubt that is possible at the moment.

Maybe they should have a little notice at the top just saying an estimated date for the release of the patch just to stop the countless threads about the patch.

homerjnick
22-11-2008, 22:54
Would help immensely in my opinion. Maybe they could try and stop the lagging in the 2D Classic but I doubt that is possible at the moment.

Maybe they should have a little notice at the top just saying an estimated date for the release of the patch just to stop the countless threads about the patch.

Nah they will never say an estimated time for the 2nd patch but maybe a sticky just saying they are working on one AND if you find any bugs please post in the bugs forum.

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:57
Nah they will never say an estimated time for the 2nd patch but maybe a sticky just saying they are working on one AND if you find any bugs please post in the bugs forum.
Yeah I thought that after I posted it, maybe what you said would be good for everyone. :thup:

peter-evo
22-11-2008, 22:59
But if the patch had to be delayed, we would then be getting just as many threads moaning about it being delayed, so imo it wouldn't make much of a difference. Plus, you always get people on here who completely ignore stickied threads & announcements(remember all the demo threads :eek:).
:D Yes I mean even a couple of hours delay can send some people spiralling into madness.

I retract that 1 1/2 lines you have underlined :p

Ozzy38
22-11-2008, 23:49
You get to recognise those that are likely to keep pushing rather than go away and calm down for a bit.

S'true. In the Winjend thread or however it's spelt (the guy who's gone 61 seasons) I ponder, because this guy spends 99% of his free time on the game, printing out fixtures etc. but has a gf and a job, is the addiction even bad?

Some guy comes in and looks to take huge offence that I 'insinuate' that gaming addiction is bad, or that Winj. is addicted (when by his own admission he is/was).

He keeps posting having a go at me without anything of substance and a load of smileys and exclamation points, so it's clear he's not gonna stop, so I just not post, that still didn't stop him posting again about the argument but perhaps it'll stop now.

pelicanstuff
23-11-2008, 02:09
I've learned to only come on the forums when the kids are either at school or in bed :D

Ozzy38
23-11-2008, 02:11
That might not be good enough. I just saw what is hopefully a joke topic by a guy who can't write properly saying SI know nothing about football because of the game's reliance on tactics - 'Man Utd are in the Prem because they have star players not their tactics'. And he's my age (21).

Kain
23-11-2008, 02:12
Just like to say that the new mods have made a MASSIVE difference to this forum. The last week or so would have been a complete and utter nightmare without their efforts. :thup:

pelicanstuff
23-11-2008, 02:13
but at least at this time of night it's the exception rather than the rule.

Edit, and I agree with the comment directly above mine as well.

GillsMan
23-11-2008, 11:10
Just like to say that the new mods have made a MASSIVE difference to this forum. The last week or so would have been a complete and utter nightmare without their efforts. :thup:

Cheers mate, that means a lot. :thup: I know that I've been trying to keep threads open for as long as possible, and merge threads and PM people rather than handing out infractions, although some people just leave you no choice! :D

Neji's a great mod anyway, so it's good. Actually, these forums are easy to moderate anyway, because we've got loads of helpful people on here who always try to help people sort out their problems.

peter-evo
23-11-2008, 11:12
Cheers mate, that means a lot. :thup: I know that I've been trying to keep threads open for as long as possible, and merge threads and PM people rather than handing out infractions, although some people just leave you no choice! :D

Neji's a great mod anyway, so it's good. Actually, these forums are easy to moderate anyway, because we've got loads of helpful people on here who always try to help people sort out their problems.
Thanks ;) :D

I've come on this morning and there are still a few topics hating the game with no good reasoning, I may go back to bed.

jsolloso
23-11-2008, 16:55
Why is it we are not free to request changes and the implementation of patches /hotfixs and are expected to listen to so called "fans of FM" who only appear to live blinded and think that everything is fine when its not. These forums do not have much democracy to them. I have opened 4 posts on SI sending a hotfix/patch before the main one in January and all I get is mods closing my threads and other "experienced" users thinking they are mods by teling me to shut up. Its a joke. SI we are customers, we demand some customer service. Ppl are posting everyday about bugs that are ruining their game and all we are told is to wait until January, February or March, its a joke. There is no constructive feedback on these forums since you cant say anything and are expected to follow SI timelines.
As a business, SI should care for its customers. All I see is how they keep the same "silly (for want of a better word)" ppl happy. The ppl who post 1000+ posts and treat others, especially new ppl as if they were scum. And the mods defend these "silly" ppl. Its a joke. The FM franchise is not a club where yu gain membership through affiliation. 1000+ posts or 10 posts, it should make no difference. If you dont value customer opinions then why have a forum in the first place?
We NEED, WANT & REQUEST a patch/hotfix before the "main" patch is released in January.

GillsMan
23-11-2008, 17:02
Why is it we are not free to request changes and the implementation of patches /hotfixs and are expected to listen to so called "fans of FM" who only appear to live blinded and think that everything is fine when its not. These forums do not have much democracy to them. I have opened 4 posts on SI sending a hotfix/patch before the main one in January and all I get is mods closing my threads and other "experienced" users thinking they are mods by teling me to shut up. Its a joke. SI we are customers, we demand some customer service. Ppl are posting everyday about bugs that are ruining their game and all we are told is to wait until January, February or March, its a joke. There is no constructive feedback on these forums since you cant say anything and are expected to follow SI timelines.
As a business, SI should care for its customers. All I see is how they keep the same "silly (for want of a better word)" ppl happy. The ppl who post 1000+ posts and treat others, especially new ppl as if they were scum. And the mods defend these "silly" ppl. Its a joke. The FM franchise is not a club where yu gain membership through affiliation. 1000+ posts or 10 posts, it should make no difference. If you dont value customer opinions then why have a forum in the first place?
We NEED, WANT & REQUEST a patch/hotfix before the "main" patch is released in January.

The thing is, you didn't raise any new points in your threads that hadn't been raised before. All the issues you'd raised had been acknowledged by SI in one form or another. You're not going to get a patch by sheer pester power alone, and if your thread contributes to the forum, it stays open. :thup:

homerjnick
23-11-2008, 17:02

Sigh..............give up and post in the bugs forum man before you get infractions against you.

You made your point, you have NOT done it in the right way and you seem to be unwilling to post in the bugs forum with proof of your issues.

If your issues have already been posted then you will have to be patient and stop acting like a child demanding things, THAT is the reason why mods shut your threads down.

TRWS
23-11-2008, 19:04
The sole reason for this and any other site on the scene stems back form the CM days.

Remember, it's probably the most important game of your life. FM fans are in a virtual relationship with their FM. Simple really.

Nomis07
23-11-2008, 22:39
Goodness me, it never fails to amaze me how precious people can be and tbh arrogant as they expect people to agree with them and dismiss people who dare disagree as "silly". I'd love to be a mod, but I really don't envy GillsMan, skorp and Neji given the current state of GD.

I remember my first thread on the SI Forums, I requested a tiny FM game to play at work. It would be really small to limit the possibility of detection etc etc, I was flamed to tiny pieces and labelled an idiot :D Did I think I was being victimised or ignored because of my post count and cry fanboy in disgust, no I accepted that it was probably a crap idea and got on with it.

There's a very bizarre "how dare they disagree" culture on these forums.

As for post count and SI only listening to people who have a large post count, I have twice the amount of Ched, but I consider him a far better member than me. Post count has nothing to do with anything, there are many members with few posts who provide greater insight and more credible judgement than members with thousands of posts to their name.

The major thing that irks about the people who complain about SI is that I find it hilarious that they make their opinions known in "General Discussion" let alone on a forum. If I bought a car and then found out it needed a new timing belt (patch) I wouldn't go on the manufacturers website and complain in a forum, and I certianly wouldn't go to the general discussions thread :D I'd phone customer services and get an answer in person :rolleyes:

Neji
23-11-2008, 22:53
I think I remember that thread Nomis! It was rubbish :D

Seriously though, you can't take post count to mean anything because alot of people from OTF have thousands of posts but never post anything worth while. Then when they come on here, it looks like they are always on here but only pop into GD every so often. And like Nomis said, there are some great posts by new members and complete rubbish posted by members with a higher post count.

I think people mistake respect for a person because of their posting style and respect because of their post count.

Nomis07
23-11-2008, 23:04
It was a shocker, the idea still has some appeal to me, but it was a poor choice for opening post :D

I think people mistake respect for a person because of their posting style and respect because of their post count.

Summed up what I had to say in one line. Ched is just one example, peter-evo not only has a samller post count than a lot of OTF, but he's only 13, but I enjoy/respect/take notice of his posts.

homerjnick
23-11-2008, 23:08
Ched is just one example, peter-evo not only has a samller post count than a lot of OTF, but he's only 13

Agreed.........

jimmywils
23-11-2008, 23:46
I usually find that the members who appear to stir up trouble dont stick around for long. They soon get bored. I cant remember the names of any constantly poor posters but remember the names of the decent ones.

I didnt even look on the forums for about 6 months, but had a look about a month before this years release. I lost track of who were the decent posters, not because i forgot their names, but because a lot of them have gone elsewhere. I have only been here about 6 weeks and its clear that their are some very good posters and not so many consistantly poor ones.

canvey!!
23-11-2008, 23:47
Did I think I was being victimised or ignored because of my post count and cry fanboy in disgust, no I accepted that it was probably a crap idea and got on with it.

There's a very bizarre "how dare they disagree" culture on these forums.

I'd say that the forums could be a microcosm for the outside world. In the olden days, kids would do what they were told, but nowadays, they say "You can't touch me or I'll sue!". Not that all the offenders are ''kids'', but it is the same thing, i.e. directed at those they see in authority.

As for post count and SI only listening to people who have a large post count, I have twice the amount of Ched, but I consider him a far better member than me.

This fact actually surprises me. I also see Ched as a quality poster, one of the best, and yet I look and I have 30 posts less than him, and Nomis has twice as many (of course I also see Nomis as a great poster). It just goes to prove the point, really.

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 13:08
I've always wondered how Nomis07 and Neji managed to rack up so many posts in the time they've been on the forums. Neither of them seem to frequent the Off-Topic forum, which seems like a good place to get lots of posts. But it goes without saying that neither of them are spammers, either! How did they do it? I'm surprised how many posts I have, given how few threads actually appeal to me.

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 13:11
I think I made over 50 posts in one day last week, that included the odd bit of help, some rants and a hefty conversation about goth girls ;) It adds up :p There are a few threads I stick to in the OTF as well, especially the films thread, which I recommend to everyone. I think a majority of my posts have come in threads discussing, whether or not the game cheats, should PA be static and general FM08 complaints, i've been involved in many a heated discussion about those.

Also I have too much time on my hands at work, because I hate the place and hate the people I work with so i'd rather post on here than talk/help these morons.

tigerhgrrrrrr
24-11-2008, 14:07
This is rehetorical but I want to vent my feelings. I have not been able to log on all weekend because suddenly the user name & pass word must be different. I guess this is done with good reason (for security purposes) but why were we not warned a few days in advance so we could change our passwords to comply with the new rules?

I am more fed up about this as my account was "frozen" for no apparant reason so I could not access the forums at all between July - August this year. As the game this year was only practically playable if you used the advice in the forums I think this is really poor form SI!

That said, I think this is heading to be my fave FM game yet, well done SI. I just recommend that the mechanics of being an FM fan are not made so un-user friendly (and yes I am also referring back to the DDM debacle when I say that).

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 14:11
I just read that as 'a goth conversation about hefty girls'! Maybe we should have one of those!

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 14:36
I'm confused. I didn't have to change anything..

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 14:41
Oh man i'm miserable, my mum and dad are so mean and I love Enter Shikari. If I don't meet a hefty girl soon i'll have to read a Michael Moore book.

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 14:51
I've actually read two Michael Moore books.

Neji
24-11-2008, 14:53
I've actually read two Michael Moore books.

Did you feel any dumber after that experience? :p

Micado
24-11-2008, 14:54
I'm confused. I didn't have to change anything..

Neither did I. A couple of months ago I had to change to the sega pass, but that went smooth, so no Idea what the OP is talking about.

Matt ex SEGA
24-11-2008, 14:54
We've had a couple of technical issues but nothing that would have changed your password or forced a re-logi-in as far as I know (at least, I haven't had to at any point).

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 14:55
I'm sorry to say that i've read one of them as well. They are absolute tripe and did make me feel dumber :p Luckily I wasn't goth enough to believe any of his lard arsed babbling and just found the whole experience a bit depressing.

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 15:03
Well, as someone who deplores George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz etc etc and all that they stand for, I found something refreshing in Moore's books as they were the first political books I ever really read. I've since come through university and got myself a degree on the subject and a Master's, and in the process expanded my reading somewhat. I'll always say that I enjoyed Michael Moore. It may be 'lard-arsed babbling', but I found it funny and entertaining. I certainly would not base my views on it. But I would also be kidding myself if I tried to claim that those books weren't partly responsible for me taking an interest in politics.

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 15:14
There's no doubt that it's entertaining, in the same way that those conspiracy programmes on tv are entertaining, but it doesn't really serve any purpose and whilst it may give you a taste for politics, I don't think it was needed to form a negative opinion of Bush, Cheney etc.

I don't really like political books in general, you're never going to get an unbiased opinion and they usually have a helathy dose of fiction inserted.

My problem with Moore is that he appears to latch on to what most sensible people think and then documents it in easy to digest sound bites that thickos will understand, that's probably over the top, but hopefully you know what I mean. What we end up with is an entertaining read, but a man making a name for himself out of things we already know.

As for his films, he reminds me of a Dennis Pennis who takes hismelf seriously.

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 15:20
The problem is, the two books I'm thinking about were writtem at the start of the Bush presidency and, while you or I might already know certain things, Michael Moore's principle targets were Americans, a good proportion of which seemed, at the time, to almost be in thrall of the neo-cons.

As for political books, a lot will be biased, but I'm okay with that. Most people who write on the topic are obviously going to be doing so for the sake of trying to put forth their own views. Sometimes I'll not like what I read, but sometimes someone will skillfully and coherently put forward their argument in such a way that they win me over as a convert to their position. Politics will always involve people trying to influence other people. It wouldn't work if everyone tried not to win people over to their viewpoint. The important thing is make sure you judge each case on its merits.

GillsMan
24-11-2008, 15:22
Moore usually has half a point, but it's all the extraneous bs on top that detracts from his point. He's his own worst enemy in my opinion.

Aaaaanyway, this is seriously off topic and this thread will probably end up being shut if we continue the off topic thread. :(

On that point (and bringing this neatly back on topic), I've been perusing the OTF recently, and I must say the attitude in there has improved immeasurably recently. Back when I argued in favour of an Off Topic thread in GQ about 20 pages ago, I argued that I prefer the community in GQ. While that's still the case, I don't think people need to worry about being flamed just because they aren't a regular in OTF. As someone said earlier, there are some great threads, including the Film Thread and so on. I see no reason why we can't frequent OTF and post there.

That's my thoughts anyway.

GM

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 15:24
Are you sure it's not just because of that little word 'Moderator' under your name that's making it seem better? Maybe you're being better-received because of it? Just a question.

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 15:32
As someone said earlier, there are some great threads, including the Film Thread and so on.

That someone was me :( You've changed GillsMan, you're off enjoying the heady heights of modship and forgetting about your GD OTF comrades :D

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 17:12
I'm seriously considering retiring from debates on these forums, it's like knocking your head agaisnt a wall sometimes :D

Do you ever leave a thread, no matter how hard that is, because you know if you stay you'll end up with a warning :p

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 17:22
I often leave threads I have much more to say in because I know no amount of posts I make in that threads will get through to who I'm trying to debate with.

GillsMan
24-11-2008, 17:29
Are you sure it's not just because of that little word 'Moderator' under your name that's making it seem better? Maybe you're being better-received because of it? Just a question.

No - I get more abuse if anything. :( Before I was a mod, I had 2 PM's. My inbox is now 147, about a quarter of it people not being overly kind.

Bah - I'm not interested in their opinion, it's the likes of you, Nomis, Neji, Peter-Evo, and yes damnit even Von Blade (and others like Chopper and Chen), whose opinons I value more tbh. If I'm doing a crap job, I'm sure you lot will be the first to let me know! :D

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 17:32
Not wanting to sound like a broken record or suck up to the mods, but I take my hat off to GillsMan, Neji and skorp. Neji is still going strong in the thread I left, he must have the patience of a saint, I just couldn't take it anymore :D

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 17:35
It was a shocker, the idea still has some appeal to me, but it was a poor choice for opening post :D

Summed up what I had to say in one line. Ched is just one example, peter-evo not only has a samller post count than a lot of OTF, but he's only 13, but I enjoy/respect/take notice of his posts.
Cheers mate, that has actually made me smile, and then for another one to agree with me I actually feel better now after a pretty bad day.

This (thread) just shows that there are still some people who will be here a very long time and have great mutual respect for one another.

Now I have my compliments, time to work for my modship. :D But cheers mate

VonBlade
24-11-2008, 17:37
@ Gillsman. Awwww. *blush*.

I know I am rather, erm, vehement in my opinions, but I hope I have the capability to express them with enough clarity that it is not just random ranting. I also like to think I've got enough intelligence to understand the other fellows point of view and take it on board.

Unfortunately I've been quite passionate expressing my beliefs lately and so am now just lumped in with the bleating sheep and illiterate trolls. Ho hum. Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees. At least no-one is ever in any doubt as to what I think :D

Back somewhat on topic, the forum has been a lot nicer since you two have been added to the moderator panel. Closing threads with an explanation is always a good thing.
VB

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 17:39
GillsMan, you're doing a good job. The moderating of this forum, in my opinion, has been very strong lately. I don't care if people think I'm sucking up. I actually have better things to do than suck up to people when it will have no bearing on my life whatsoever. As for those PMs, you're bound to get them. If any of them are deliberately offensive, can you not dole out some bans?

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 17:44
No - I get more abuse if anything. :( Before I was a mod, I had 2 PM's. My inbox is now 147, about a quarter of it people not being overly kind.

Bah - I'm not interested in their opinion, it's the likes of you, Nomis, Neji, Peter-Evo, and yes damnit even Von Blade (and others like Chopper and Chen), whose opinons I value more tbh. If I'm doing a crap job, I'm sure you lot will be the first to let me know! :D
The problem is with modship is that everyone seems to think that because you are a mod you are part of SI and part of the reason behind the problems and all that rubbish. Now I respect everyone on these forums that shows me and others respect, hell even yesterday when that lad started 4 threads insulting Glyn I persistently offered him help and in response got a hat-full of insults.

I also am glad that users are not taking age into account when forming judgements, I am only 13 but at times act much more mature than many users on here whose sole intentions are to start flame wars and arguments and that fact really winds me up. At first, I worried about signing up and at one point decided to change my age to 18 just incase I get ignored but it does seem the people who have been here longer seem to judge only on post quality and personallity and that got me to set my real age.

Well, that's my life story

Also, Thanks Gillsman, don't make me blush ;)

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 17:46
Peter-evo, in fairness, it's not hard to gain respect compared to some of the eejits on thee forums atm :p (jk)

canvey!!
24-11-2008, 17:46

What is your inbox size as a moderator?

Neji
24-11-2008, 17:49
What is your inbox size as a moderator?

My favourite thing about being a mod is the bigger inbox :D

Still not big enough at 200, though.

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 17:49
Peter-evo, in fairness, it's not hard to gain respect compared to some of the eejits on thee forums atm :p (jk)
err... thanks :(

:D

Nomis07
24-11-2008, 18:00
You know what i've noticed today, the amount of people who obviously don't read threads and just read the title or OP and then repeat posts that have already been made. It's infuriating, having to repeat yourself over and over again, because some people are too lazy to read the thread.

The last thread I was in today, the same point was brought up about 8 times and answered 8 times :mad:

GerdMuller
24-11-2008, 18:06
That might not be good enough. I just saw what is hopefully a joke topic by a guy who can't write properly saying SI know nothing about football because of the game's reliance on tactics - 'Man Utd are in the Prem because they have star players not their tactics'. And he's my age (21).
I am 28 and i think he has a point. I think me training ManU vs. Alex Ferguson training a sunday league squad would have great chances of me winning. Would be a blast to tell him: "Its your tactics..." afterwards. :D

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 18:11
I am 28 and i think he has a point. I think me training ManU vs. Alex Ferguson training a sunday league squad would have great chances of me winning. Would be a blast to tell him: "Its your tactics..." afterwards. :D

I think the point is that what that guy said does not prove that SI know nothing about football.

canvey!!
24-11-2008, 18:20
I know the mods can't deal with this, but do people think the house rules should be a public forum, i.e. available to non-registered users?

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 18:22
@ Canvey: Yes, I believe it would help alot.

Also, just wondering what is with all the love flying around in this topic.

I reckon this thread should be re-stickied, it's a right pain in the back side to find sometimes.

canvey!!
24-11-2008, 18:27
Bookmark this (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=25114).

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 18:36
Just added this topic to my favourites though re-stickying it would be much more convenient.

24-11-2008, 18:50
First - I'm going to break my silence on the (off-)topic about political posts. I can't read Michael Moore as his non-stop hyperbole isn't too dissimilar from the ramblings of Peter Hitchens and Richard Littlejohn - just viewed from the opposite side of the political mirror.

What's great is reading books on business. Seriously - pick up a copy of "The Undercover Economist" and be prepared to laugh for a month when the writer proscribes free-markets as a solution to everything.

Seriously though, you can't take post count to mean anything because alot of people from OTF have thousands of posts ...

Exactly. What you can't see from post count is how many posts are made on GQ/GD or a game-related topic. The people with huge post counts (>15,000) often built them up on OTF. It certainly doesn't make their opinion any more worthwhile than, say, people with ridiculously long display names who think that posting quality is more important than quantity. Ahem...

I know I am rather, erm, vehement in my opinions,

Don't worry - nobody noticed ;)

Back somewhat on topic, the forum has been a lot nicer since you two have been added to the moderator panel. Closing threads with an explanation is always a good thing.
VB

I'll second that whole-heartedly. Somewhere back in the early pages of this tread I pointed out that if you came onto these forums outside office hours there were no mods at all; and it was complete anarchy. Now you get good quality modding which is exactly what GD needs.

I know that many of the regular posters are being more responsible about how they reply to posts and it shows. But if SI want to make the GD forum a good place for new users to turn up in then they needed to expend some effort in making the forum a pleasant place for the regulars. Which they have done.

Unfortunately these were recurrent themes last year in the months between the second patch : People arguing whole heartedly that PA should be removed because "I could be as good as Ronaldinho if I had professional training" and "It's not the tactics - Man Utd play 4-4-2 all the time and have the best players so they will always win the league". You couldn't make it up. Seriously, I'd love to see Alex Ferguson's face if somebody told him "All you do is pick 11 players and put them into a 4-4-2". But only via a camera link. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the room at the time. :mad:

24-11-2008, 18:53
Just added this topic to my favourites though re-stickying it would be much more convenient.

I can understand why it's unstickied though - the new forum software and the extra mods have made the site much more pleasant. In that respect it's done a job.

Don't see the SI bods on here though, which was the stated aim of this thread back in 2007(ish) when it started. Maybe they'll filter back once the hooplah from the activation process dies down a bit.

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 18:55
I can understand why it's unstickied though - the new forum software and the extra mods have made the site much more pleasant. In that respect it's done a job.

Don't see the SI bods on here though, which was the stated aim of this thread back in 2007(ish) when it started. Maybe they'll filter back once the hooplah from the activation process dies down a bit.
They're more than highly hiding somewhere warm. They'll be back soon though.

NepentheZ
24-11-2008, 18:57
They are around a lot to be fair.

Also, Read my Location ;)

Mike7077
24-11-2008, 19:01
EDIT: Smart comment no longer applies.

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 19:02

HaHa, you had no intention of making a constructive post did you? Just posting that :D

Edit: Mike: :D

VonBlade
24-11-2008, 19:04
Exactly. What you can't see from post count is how many posts are made on GQ/GD or a game-related topic. The people with huge post counts (>15,000) often built them up on OTF.

Absolutely. I've posted about three posts ever to a forum outside of the main game and it's data/graphic/bug subforums. And I think I got temporarily relieved of my posting rights for two of them :D

So I've been here forever and compared to some made hardly any posts. But then if I want to waffle on endlessly about off-topic stuff I go to the plethora of forums dedicated to that in the world. I'd rather delete the OTF and wipe the posts from the counts of those who use it regularly. Then post count could actually mean something. Although I appreciate I'm a hardline extremist lmao.

I'm also too misanthropic (what you VB? Really? We'd never have noticed) to want to play FML so haven't posted in there yet. I can hear everyone breathing a sigh of relief they wont have to suffer with me in that :P
VB

24-11-2008, 19:05

Not as much as I think they used to be. In 2006 I had an exchange with Mark Vaughan when I proposed how 3D could be implemented for the match engine in the future (I was putting a ten-year development timeline on it), only to be told in no uncertain terms that there would never be a 3D match engine for FM. I don't think that would happen today (unless I go over to the FM handheld forum and start that debate again :D). I suppose the SI boys can only take so many accusations about lieing about DDoS attacks in one of the most painful-to-read threads in the launch window.

Far too much time on you hands! Wouldn't your time be better spent getting more strikers to 1000 career goals? ;)

Leftback - long time lurker, infrequent poster...

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 19:06
Absolutely. I've posted about three posts ever to a forum outside of the main game and it's data/graphic/bug subforums. And I think I got temporarily relieved of my posting rights for two of them :D

So I've been here forever and compared to some made hardly any posts. But then if I want to waffle on endlessly about off-topic stuff I go to the plethora of forums dedicated to that in the world. I'd rather delete the OTF and wipe the posts from the counts of those who use it regularly. Then post count could actually mean something. Although I appreciate I'm a hardline extremist lmao.

I'm also too misanthropic (what you VB? Really? We'd never have noticed) to want to play FML so haven't posted in there yet. I can hear everyone breathing a sigh of relief they wont have to suffer with me in that :P
VB
You are one of the most known members of these forums :D

I only post in this, the tactics and the challenges forums aswell but most of my posts have come in the last 6 months for some reason.

Ter
24-11-2008, 19:09

VB

It can be set so that posts in the Off Topic forum don't add to your postcount. Don't really think it's much of an issue to be honest.

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 19:12
It can be set so that posts in the Off Topic forum don't add to your postcount. Don't really think it's much of an issue to be honest.
Problem is people seem to think the OTFers are more experienced FM members than some here as they have a high count. Not sure why that's a problem but it is to some.

NepentheZ
24-11-2008, 19:16
I'm honestly not sure what 'firt' means. :p

I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

24-11-2008, 19:16

There's a perception (that I don't agree with) that the greater the post count, the more attention you get from SI.

As I think that's balderdash then in my opinion switching off postcounts for OTF isn't necessary.

If newer posters think that greater post count = an opinion more worthy, then they'll learn soon enough.

Can you index posts to the forum it was posted to? Wouldn't bother me too much, but I'm sure the LLaMmas would be very interested as part of their "no tipping/no editing" QC policy.

canvey!!
24-11-2008, 19:46

Yes, another forum that I frequent does that for its Community Challenges (and stories sort of thing) forums. Which I think is a bad place to do it, because story-writers make an excellent contribution.

But if that feature works retroactively, you should enable it for a day just to give them all a shock! :)

tigerhgrrrrrr
24-11-2008, 21:19
We've had a couple of technical issues but nothing that would have changed your password or forced a re-logi-in as far as I know (at least, I haven't had to at any point).

Well it did pee me off and give me some problems but Im glad it seems few suffered, thanks for the acknowledgement of the Post. Loving FM09 though!

peter-evo
24-11-2008, 21:24
Forums seem to have calmed down a bit, finally, abit of relaxation before I'm A celebrity :D

GillsMan
24-11-2008, 22:07
This is rehetorical but I want to vent my feelings. I have not been able to log on all weekend because suddenly the user name & pass word must be different. I guess this is done with good reason (for security purposes) but why were we not warned a few days in advance so we could change our passwords to comply with the new rules?

I am more fed up about this as my account was "frozen" for no apparant reason so I could not access the forums at all between July - August this year. As the game this year was only practically playable if you used the advice in the forums I think this is really poor form SI!

That said, I think this is heading to be my fave FM game yet, well done SI. I just recommend that the mechanics of being an FM fan are not made so un-user friendly (and yes I am also referring back to the DDM debacle when I say that).

I decided to merge this into the These Forums thread, where it seemed to be better placed. Hope that's OK. :thup:

Ackter
24-11-2008, 22:50
I'd hate to know how many of my posts have been OTF-based time wasting.

VonBlade
24-11-2008, 22:54
^ says the guy with 43000 posts :D

Kris
24-11-2008, 23:00
I decided to merge this into the These Forums thread, where it seemed to be better placed. Hope that's OK. :thup:

Tiger : Its simple security, we moved platforms and having your password the same as your username is never good policy ;)

Kriss
24-11-2008, 23:17
VB

Make sure you come to Saunders GW when you finally see the light VB:D

It's a whole world full of misanthropes and me;)

jsolloso
24-11-2008, 23:46
Who the heck does homerjnick think he is??

Get a life man. Ure a no-one. Whenever I say anything, you have to come and immeadiately post afterwards. Don't you have a life? I suggest you get one cos you ain't a mod however much you try behaving as one!

jsolloso
24-11-2008, 23:47
Btw, seeing as my point on the hotfix/patch has been noted before then why not act on it? Sheesh...

djwilko6
24-11-2008, 23:51
Who the heck does homerjnick think he is??

Get a life man. Ure a no-one. Whenever I say anything, you have to come and immeadiately post afterwards. Don't you have a life? I suggest you get one cos you ain't a mod however much you try behaving as one!

Probably better to ignore him then, everybody else does :p

jsolloso
24-11-2008, 23:54
Yeah I think I will but really annoyed and disappointed that mods dont do anything about him. Most posts I've seen he talks ppl down as if he's some kind of mod or he's developed the game. Very sad.

GillsMan
25-11-2008, 00:09
Yeah I think I will but really annoyed and disappointed that mods dont do anything about him. Most posts I've seen he talks ppl down as if he's some kind of mod or he's developed the game. Very sad.

We can't be everywhere. If you feel you're being trolled, use the report function - all posts get reviewed that have been reported (though bear in mind that we might not always agree that the post is problematic).

homerjnick
25-11-2008, 00:11
I don't want to be a mod............I just want the forums to be full of good, intelligent posters who help and are constructive with FM.

homerjnick
25-11-2008, 00:12
But opening various threads childishly demanding I want a patch does NOT do that.

homerjnick
25-11-2008, 00:17
And jsolloso, I think you will find most of your threads were closed by the mods due to the way you were posting , in a non constructive manner.

TheOriginalJez
25-11-2008, 00:39
First of all hjn, I know the ideas are flowing but could you not use the 'edit' button rather than posting three times in a row? :p

Secondly, what's with all the testosterone between you guys? You have differing opinions we've seen that enough over the last few days but does it have to follow everywhere? re the whole patch threads debacle yes Jsolloso should have paid attention when mods locked the topics but a bit 6 of one and half a dozen, it wasn't really required to reply constantly to both was it?
It's a shame when a forum that's supposed to be for help turns into a competition over who's got the more valid opinion - it must make things very difficult for new members coming in who actually need the help.

Just my worthless 2c.

homerjnick
25-11-2008, 00:41
First of all hjn, I know the ideas are flowing but could you not use the 'edit' button rather than posting three times in a row? :p

Sorry, there was 5 mins between my posts..........the edit button is very handy, you couldn't do it on the last forum SI had!

Nomis07
25-11-2008, 09:16
I know the mods can't deal with this, but do people think the house rules should be a public forum, i.e. available to non-registered users?

:thup: Yeah it should. It's no guarantee that people will read it, but if some will then it it should be available.

canvey!!
25-11-2008, 17:36
Plus the fact that it increases their accountability (although I don't know if guests can post still, we had quite a few when the forums first moved but I haven't seen any since).

peter-evo
25-11-2008, 17:36
And this thread was once full of love. I think homerjnick is a great poster but hey that's me. I'm a bit like that though, imagining I am a mod and the other day got told I was a suck up to Gillsman, and er... I'm not :p

Well, that concered girlfriend thread is great

peter-evo
25-11-2008, 18:27
What I have noticed is since my post count has improved to what it is now, the newer members seem to reply to me alot more, hope it doesn't stay like that though I do like a bit of attention.

ahmufcwafc
25-11-2008, 18:46
What I have noticed is since my post count has improved to what it is now, the newer members seem to reply to me alot more, hope it doesn't stay like that though I do like a bit of attention.

Same here, although you have a few hundred more posts than me. :p
I've also been getting a whole lot more PM's from newer users asking for help since I got around the 1000 post mark. Or maybe its just because we've had a lot of new users on here since the new game was released, I'm not sure but it can be a pain at times. :D

peter-evo
25-11-2008, 18:48
Same here, although you have a few hundred more posts than me. :p
I've also been getting a whole lot more PM's from newer users asking for help since I got around the 1000 post mark. Or maybe its just because we've had a lot of new users on here since the new game was released, I'm not sure but it can be a pain at times. :D
The only PM's I have are from SI for help or from some lad who thought he new who I was. You are loved mate.

TheOriginalJez
25-11-2008, 18:50
One guy sent me a PM but erm, I didn't have a clue! hah.

Mike7077
25-11-2008, 18:52
I've been getting tonnes of PMs about them German national team thingy.

canvey!!
25-11-2008, 18:53
I got one about that. I think I told them to google it.

EDIT: I remember now, they said they had the file, but it wasn't working. I told them to look in "Extra Files" when starting up the game.

peter-evo
25-11-2008, 18:55
All this makes me wonder why I don't get PM's

SmurfDude
25-11-2008, 18:56
Become a graphics guru and you'll get a fair few PM's. I know this from experience

peter-evo
25-11-2008, 18:57
Become a graphics guru and you'll get a fair few PM's. I know this from experience
You're the one that give us flex right? Great skin.

I'm not very good with stuff like that.

Mike7077
25-11-2008, 18:58
I don't think there's any danger of me becoming a guru in anything technical!

peter-evo
25-11-2008, 18:59
I don't think there's any danger of me becoming a guru in anything technical!
Thinking about it, I am not a Guru at anything.

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 10:26
GillsMan - About the Emre thread..

Sorry if I am partly responsible for you having to close it. I was actually in the middle of another post in which I was suggesting it should be closed when you closed it. Basically, although it started out as a worthwhile thread, the subject became too incendiary for some people (myself included) to be able to resist having their say.

GillsMan
26-11-2008, 10:34
GillsMan - About the Emre thread..

Sorry if I am partly responsible for you having to close it. I was actually in the middle of another post in which I was suggesting it should be closed when you closed it. Basically, although it started out as a worthwhile thread, the subject became too incendiary for some people (myself included) to be able to resist having their say.

Don't worry Mike, it's just that it would have descended into a "it was offensive" vs "PC gone mad" debate, which was probably better off in the OTF forum. My job involves making a decision about whether ads are "likely to cause serious or widespread offence", so I'm pretty well versed when it comes to assessing whether something is offensive, inappropriate or merely in bad taste. I'm not always correct, but I agree that in this instance, the comment over stepped the mark.

I agree, the thread was worthwhile, and as I said, it's a shame one silly comment brought the thread down.

26-11-2008, 14:11
I agree, the thread was worthwhile, and as I said, it's a shame one silly comment brought the thread down.

Although I'm not certain that redirecting people to use this thread for "Complain about GillsMan's moderating style" posts is a really good idea. You could set up a whole new Forum for that! :eek:

And I apologise for labouring the point, but 12 months ago that thread would have gone on for hours until it got closed down by Ter, and probably would have spawned 4 or 5 new threads. Another example why the active moderation style is working and should hve been implemented years ago.

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 16:47
The epic thread has finally been closed. Probably the right decision, even if it was done with the dark condescension that Ter shows whenever he closes anything. It was fun while it lasted.

homerjnick
26-11-2008, 16:49
The epic thread has finally been closed. Probably the right decision, even if it was done with the dark condescension that Ter shows whenever he closes anything. It was fun while it lasted.

Why close it????????? Why not just move it to OFT? Bit harsh if you ask me....

CaptainPlanet
26-11-2008, 16:52
Should at least be moved to the hall of fame.

But it should be re-opened and moved to OFT, the other mods let it run for that long - it didn't deserve to be killed off like that.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 16:54
Why close it????????? Why not just move it to OFT? Bit harsh if you ask me....

I just pm'd Ter to ask for exactly that. re-open and move. Shame to lose 2 days worth of fun.

fattyg
26-11-2008, 16:56
I just pm'd Ter to ask for exactly that. re-open and move. Shame to lose 2 days worth of fun.

Hmm yeh i agree, still i've just read through it abit and would like to officially apologise for how much rubbish i posted lol

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 17:02
I thought it kinda proved how popular and how harmless an off-topic thread would be. Okay, it was full of jibberish. But at least the jibberish was confined to it. I think everyone behaved okay in the thread and it didn't impact on the purpose of the forum at all.

Pricey85
26-11-2008, 17:08
I thought it kinda proved how popular and how harmless an off-topic thread would be. Okay, it was full of jibberish. But at least the jibberish was confined to it. I think everyone behaved okay in the thread and it didn't impact on the purpose of the forum at all.

Despite the fact that this thread is massive and therefore i fear to poke my nose where it doesn't belong i agree with you Mike. I have been a lurker on these forums for years now and i think that the girlfriend thread was kind of a big team building thread, it showed a lot of community spirit with old and new members joining in. A couple of years ago i wouldn't have expected to see the like.

CaptainPlanet
26-11-2008, 17:10
I was expecting the whole thing to end with a big group hug and then someone suggesting we all meet up for drinks.

fattyg
26-11-2008, 17:12
Despite the fact that this thread is massive and therefore i fear to poke my nose where it doesn't belong i agree with you Mike. I have been a lurker on these forums for years now and i think that the girlfriend thread was kind of a big team building thread, it showed a lot of community spirit with old and new members joining in. A couple of years ago i wouldn't have expected to see the like.

I agree with both you and Mike. I think it makes a nice change from the normal posting that goes on, on the forums, theres only so much you can get to know someone by way of answering the questions that get posted on here. As i mentioned in the thread, some of the other forums on here have Off Topic threads, why can't GQ?

Pricey85
26-11-2008, 17:16
I agree with both you and Mike. I think it makes a nice change from the normal posting that goes on, on the forums, theres only so much you can get to know someone by way of answering the questions that get posted on here. As i mentioned in the thread, some of the other forums on here have Off Topic threads, why can't GQ?

I couldn't agree more. Even though it has been closed i hope that the thread has answered some of the fears that the mods have regarding the off topic thread and has gone some way to proving it could exist without devolving into a slanging match.

Stantoner
26-11-2008, 17:18
As some of you have noticed, the majority of normal posters from SI haven't been on the forums much recently.

I can't talk for anyone else at SI (unless I'm doing PR http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), and whilst it's true that we've all been really busy with FM08, FMH08 and FML and that is part of the reason, from my own point of view, it's because the forums seem to have been changing a lot over the last 18 months, and it's got to the point where I don't think they're very nice anymore.

The purpose of these forums is for people to be able to talk about the game, a bit of speculation about what the future holds, coming up with ideas, and discussing them with likeminded people - people who play Football Manager.

What they aren't a place for is to sling around personal insults, not listening to other people or destructive criticism. Constructive criticism is fine, and always welcome, whether it be directly about the game and aimed at us, or whether it's debating someone elses idea.

We're currently thinking about changing the rules and terms and conditions of the forums so that this bullying behaviour is stopped, and the forums become a vibrant place again. So this thread is for suggestions of how to do that - I'm not planning on revealing what I'm thinking of at the moment, just want to get ideas from the regular users of the forums.

Stupid comments and insults (which I've seen on a lot of threads today whilst looking at a few things) will be dealt with accordingly in anyway I see fit. So please behave, and type nicely.

i agree, i used to be on here 1999-2004 when me computer broke and these forums were alot better than they are now, but the game has alot of fans and sometimes people dont enjoy the company of them

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:20
Was suprised to see it closed, it must have been the longest thread to actually get closed with over 900 posts, oh well aye? Long live rebecca.

homerjnick
26-11-2008, 17:22
Was suprised to see it closed, it must have been the longest thread to actually get closed with over 900 posts, oh well aye? Long live rebecca.

Hopefully a mod will see sense and reopen it and move it to the Off Topic forum....

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:23
Hopefully a mod will see sense and reopen it and move it to the Off Topic forum....
Every other forum has an off topic thread and that one just proved that they can work without flame wars. Ter is so straight when he closes a thread.

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 17:25
Every other thread has an off topic thread and that one just proved that they can work without flame wars. Ter is so straight when he closes a thread.

If we're to be fair to him, he's probably closed so many threads over time that he's lost interest in pleasantries! :D

Pricey85
26-11-2008, 17:26
If we're to be fair to him, he's probably closed so many threads over time that he's lost interest in pleasantries! :D

After years of "when is the patch coming out" threads i would too!

CaptainPlanet
26-11-2008, 17:27
Slightly off topic, but when IS the patch coming out?

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 17:28
Every other thread has an off topic thread and that one just proved that they can work without flame wars. Ter is so straight when he closes a thread.

I think you mean "every other forum". I wouldn't normally bother pointing out a simple mistake, but you made a good point and I thought it was important to make sure it's properly understood.

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 17:29
Slightly off topic, but when IS the patch coming out?

There is no information about that yet.

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:32
I think you mean "every other forum". I wouldn't normally bother pointing out a simple mistake, but you made a good point and I thought it was important to make sure it's properly understood.
Was there really any need :( :p

But yeah they do and that was quite enjoyable, was

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 17:33
Was there really any need :( :p

I believe I explained why there was in my post.

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:35
I believe I explained why there was in my post.
Clever, you thought you'd point out my error by telling me you wasn't going to point out my error...?

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 17:38
Clever, you thought you'd point out my error by telling me you wasn't going to point out my error...?

I said I wouldn't normally point it out. Then I explained that because I thought your point was an important one, it was worth correcting it so that it was guaranteed to be understood. I could have left it to you to correct, but I didn't know for sure you'd return to the thread or if you would spot the error.

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:40
I said I wouldn't normally point it out. Then I explained that because I thought your point was an important one, it was worth correcting it so that it was guaranteed to be understood. I could have left it to you to correct, but I didn't know for sure you'd return to the thread or if you would spot the error.
Fixed, now people won't look at it with a confused look on their face, I got the bottom of your post mixed up in my head, sorry :thup:

Nomis07
26-11-2008, 17:41
No, they'll just be confused by your conversation.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 17:42
I'm still laughing on and off everytime I think about the '3 numbers and a smiley face'.

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:42
No, they'll just be confused by your conversation.
I am not editing that :p

Pricey85
26-11-2008, 17:47
I'm still laughing on and off everytime I think about the '3 numbers and a smiley face'.

Ah my finest hour. Won't see it's like again....I need to get out more.

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:48
Ah my finest hour. Won't see it's like again....I need to get out more.
What is this, seem to have missed it :confused:

Pricey85
26-11-2008, 17:55
What is this, seem to have missed it :confused:

Never repeat a joke, it's never half as funny as it was ;) . Right home time me thinks, hopefully i can doss off on here some more tomorrow.

canvey!!
26-11-2008, 17:56
Just thought I'd point out, the confused girlfriend thread is in the Hall of Fame (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=36&page=1&pp=100&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1).

But don't go thinking you can post in it, the forum is read-only ;).

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:56
Never repeat a joke, it's never half as funny as it was ;) . Right home time me thinks, hopefully i can doss off on here some more tomorrow.
So now I have no clue what is going on here, how I hate school :(

peter-evo
26-11-2008, 17:57
Just thought I'd point out, the confused girlfriend thread is in the Hall of Fame (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=36&page=1&pp=100&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1).

But don't go thinking you can post in it, the forum is read-only ;).
Now all they need to do is open it.

fattyg
26-11-2008, 18:00

lol you can still read it, its near the end of the thread regarding countdown.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 18:02

check out last couple of pages of the 'concerned girlfriend' thread re Sir Jeff Stelling presenting Countdown.

Ter
26-11-2008, 18:09
Should at least be moved to the hall of fame.

But it should be re-opened and moved to OFT, the other mods let it run for that long - it didn't deserve to be killed off like that.

Hall of Fame? Seriously?

I'll move it to the OTF section and re-open it.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 20:30
I don't understand why we can't have an off-topic thread. I appreciate Ter moving the 'concerned girlfriend' thread for us, but within 20 minutes of it being moved it's been totally ruined by the OTF regulars. By this I mean the people who see the opening post and the size of the thread and automatically assume 'us GQ's' (as they like to call us) have been taken in by a bloke pretending to be a girl and all the other conspiracy theories that we have already discussed. It seems not one of them is interested in reading that thread and realising that at least 50% of the size of the thread is 'good natured banter' (which incidentily the OTFer's seem incapable of). I think more than anything that thread showed there is a need/desire (delete as you see appropriate) for a OT thread in this forum. Sometimes I feel as if this forum itself is viewed as the 'off specific topic' forum for the game related sections of the boards. However this section is still required to stay on topic, ie FM. All the game related sub-forums have 1 thread that is allowed to be about anything that group wish within reason, I don't see why we can't have the same. I personally dont much fancy venturing into OTF as I feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit in there (see the last page of the 'concerned girlfriend' thread for reasons). However I don't always just want to talk about FM. Is it really to much to ask to have one thread where us regulars, and anyone else who wishes to join us for said friendly banter can just hang out?

fattyg
26-11-2008, 20:35
I don't understand why we can't have an off-topic thread. I appreciate Ter moving the 'concerned girlfriend' thread for us, but within 20 minutes of it being moved it's been totally ruined by the OTF regulars. By this I mean the people who see the opening post and the size of the thread and automatically assume 'us GQ's' (as they like to call us) have been taken in by a bloke pretending to be a girl and all the other conspiracy theories that we have already discussed. It seems not one of them is interested in reading that thread and realising that at least 50% of the size of the thread is 'good natured banter' (which incidentily the OTFer's seem incapable of). I think more than anything that thread showed there is a need/desire (delete as you see appropriate) for a OT thread in this forum. Sometimes I feel as if this forum itself is viewed as the 'off specific topic' forum for the game related sections of the boards. However this section is still required to stay on topic, ie FM. All the game related sub-forums have 1 thread that is allowed to be about anything that group wish within reason, I don't see why we can't have the same. I personally dont much fancy venturing into OTF as I feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit in there (see the last page of the 'concerned girlfriend' thread for reasons). However I don't always just want to talk about FM. Is it really to much to ask to have one thread where us regulars, and anyone else who wishes to join us for said friendly banter can just hang out?

I agree 100% with that mate

Suzie MUFC
26-11-2008, 20:49
I agree 100% with that mate

Seconded.

I can't stand the attitudes of the regulars in there, they look down on us FMGDers like we're children - just check out the rubbish they spout in the old thread, assuming we're all thick and that we've posted 9 pages of "Ooh look, it's a girl", when I was one of the highest posters in it. That's the whole reason why I don't post in OTF anymore.

The thread had turned into a friendly, light-humoured Off Topic thread which suited those of us who just don't like to venture into OTF. Not only that, but it was a whole stream of things, not just one topic - it's exactly like this in the LLM Off Topic thread, but in there there's less freedom due to the rules they uphold, which I totally respect.

Please give us an Official General Discussion Off-Topic Thread. The old one was the best thing ever to happen to GD.

Pricey85
26-11-2008, 21:32
I've just checked out the moved thread. Another argument for having an off topic thread in here methinks. That off topic forum is just bloody scary!

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 21:32
I going to go out on a limb and take a guess at why I think General Discussion doesn't have an off-topic thread. You see, the threads that have one are very community-centric. They bring together people with a particular interest, which forms the community, and from which an off-topic thread then becomes almost a requirement.

However, General Discussion is different. I'm not arguing that a community hasn't formed here because it would seem that it has. What I think is that the forum's raison d'etre is to provide a wide variety of people with somewhere specifically to ask questions and discuss the game. It's like a first port-of-call, a point of information.

Because of this, I would guess that there is a concern that an off-topic thread has no place here. Perhaps they think it would detract from why GD exists. Don't get me wrong, I want one. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was the thinking behind why we don't have one.

PS. Sorry for the fancy French terminology.

fattyg
26-11-2008, 21:39
I going to go out on a limb and take a guess at why I think General Discussion doesn't have an off-topic thread. You see, the threads that have one are very community-centric. They bring together people with a particular interest, which forms the community, and from which an off-topic thread then becomes almost a requirement.

However, General Discussion is different. I'm not arguing that a community hasn't formed here because it would seem that it has. What I think is that the forum's raison d'etre is to provide a wide variety of people with somewhere specifically to ask questions and discuss the game. It's like a first port-of-call, a point of information.

Because of this, I would guess that there is a concern that an off-topic thread has no place here. Perhaps they think it would detract from why GD exists. Don't get me wrong, I want one. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was the thinking behind why we don't have one.

PS. Sorry for the fancy French terminology.

You're probably right with that Mike. I think the fact that there is visible support on here now to have one should count for something, whilst those reasons in some respects are pretty valid, at the end of the day I don't think having a Off Topic thread in GQ would cause that much hassle. We're certainly a nicer bunch than those who posted in that thread when it got moved to OTF lol.

Suzie MUFC
26-11-2008, 22:01
You're probably right with that Mike. I think the fact that there is visible support on here now to have one should count for something, whilst those reasons in some respects are pretty valid, at the end of the day I don't think having a Off Topic thread in GQ would cause that much hassle. We're certainly a nicer bunch than those who posted in that thread when it got moved to OTF lol.

Yeah, I mean, it didn't do any harm yesterday. People still asked their questions, discussed the game and so on in the rest of the forum, and the rest of us had our little cove where we were enjoying each other's company. It also might even cut down on the Off Topic threads that are opened by the newbies if they see there's a specific thread for "rubbish". :D

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 22:03
I was just playing Devil's Advocate, guys. Trying to see the other side of the argument. I do that.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 22:06

As I see it the likes of me, fattyg, Mike, Suzie, peter-evo, Nomis et al are the backbone of GQ. The voice of reason. We are always happy to help those in need, and to give us somewhere to chat would be nice. Could you imagine what it would be like without us. It would be a sea of shouty rants followed by shouty replies. I would think that the guys who run these boards would like us to stay around otherwise who would be here to help?

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 22:12
I'm not sure if we qualify as the 'backbone'. I could list numerous users I'd put ahead of myself such as chopper99, Neji, glamdring, Amaroq, GillsMan etc. There was a time when guys like Jimbokav1971 and dafuge and Ackter and Dayle Wood were around much more often. Those guys were much more important to the place than I am.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 22:17
I'm not sure if we qualify as the 'backbone'. I could list numerous users I'd put ahead of myself such as chopper99, Neji, glamdring, Amaroq, GillsMan etc. There was a time when guys like Jimbokav1971 and dafuge and Ackter and Dayle Wood were around much more often. Those guys were much more important to the place than I am.

Ok, yes all these people are in there to. Hence the et al. I was just working of the list of people I can remeber posting in the recent thread. I don't want to exclude any member of the forum who is interested in 'friendly banter'.

fattyg
26-11-2008, 22:23
Whilst its very nice what you said Celtic I think what the important thing is there is a group of core people on the GQ forums that post a fair amount on there and spend a bit of time on there. i agree with what Mike mentioned about certain members, they are the ones i've looked up to whilst i've been a member here, but i guess we all contribute in whatever way we can (even I managed to help someone earlier, shocked? I know I am lol). I just think it would be nice that these core users (and whoever else obviously) have somewhere to talk about things other than football manager.

Celtic_1967
26-11-2008, 22:24
Whilst its very nice what you said Celtic I think what the important thing is there is a group of core people on the GQ forums that post a fair amount on there and spend a bit of time on there. i agree with what Mike mentioned about certain members, they are the ones i've looked up to whilst i've been a member here, but i guess we all contribute in whatever way we can (even I managed to help someone earlier, shocked? I know I am lol). I just think it would be nice that these core users (and whoever else obviously) have somewhere to talk about things other than football manager.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

fattyg
26-11-2008, 22:26
Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

lol yeh sorry i didn't read what you'd said till after i'd just written that.

Mike7077
26-11-2008, 22:33
I forgot to mention Ched and NepentheZ. Good guys. :)

Suzie MUFC
26-11-2008, 22:44
I just think it would be nice that these core users (and whoever else obviously) have somewhere to talk about things other than football manager.

Exactly, if a new member went straight into the Off Topic forum, they'd be in for a roasting and could be put off coming back, it's too much of a lion's den in there in the same way it is when a new member wanders into the LLM forum thinking it's just about managing a rubbish team and nothing more, and proceed to mention player names. An off topic thread in FM General Discussion would be a good intermediate point for a new member to be able to join in and have a chat without getting their bums kicked. Even sensible posts in OTF get ripped apart just because they want to rip something apart in there, and it's not good, so a middle ground is, in a way, needed.

That and, as has been said before, it's been expressed by several members throughout yesterday's thread that it was a lot of fun just being able to talk freely in an non-hostile atmosphere, and I'm guessing that around 80%-90% of the people who posted in yesterday's thread also enjoyed it and would agree with an OT thread being created and stickied here.

TheOriginalJez
26-11-2008, 22:51
If you create an OT topic in this forum a) it's detracting from the point of this forum and b) what makes you think it'll last longer than a few days before some idiots pick up on it and ruin it?

IMO, you'd be better off having a seperate forum that the core community here are aware of and can join - one that can be policed to your liking rather than the rules of a support forum - sort of halfway between here and OTF. Sure you wouldn't get all the new members that you get here because of it being a SI forum but perhaps an underhanded deal could be struck with the mods to have an official unofficial external forum where people who want to create topics like that without being scared off by the OTF fellas can be directed?