PDA

View Full Version : These forums

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18

NepentheZ
09-11-2008, 16:03
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=58553&highlight=demo

See post 8 to prove my theory....Someone else notices it.

The post in question, is this one...

Are you serious?! You must be the 1000th person to post this! Did you even bother to read the forums? SI are releasing a patch which will address this issue.

But Dave has an inferior amount of posts, and I honestly wouldn't regard him as a GD "regular". The post in itself, isn't THAT bad. Its nothing like what you've claimed they are like, and he even answers the OP's question. Yes, it could have been a little nice, granted, but this is hardly Brown-nosing towards SI, is it?

And once again..

See post 8 to prove my theory - this is one example, and doesn't prove anything. On top of that, its not exactly a great example, considering the member in question is hardly a "forum veteran".

NepentheZ
09-11-2008, 16:05
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=58643&highlight=demo

Again, the post in question is this...

You've already started a thread asking this.

In post 3 (the final post) - backpackant discusses the issues. In post 2, however, which you seem to have an issue with, I see no problem. The guy has clearly stated that the OP has already created a thread about the exact same issue, and probably no more than an hour ago, and just recreated the thread for an answer. Theres no malice in his post, and yet again, its NOTHING along the lines of what you've been trying to get at.

jod123
09-11-2008, 16:07
Jasewood, I agree with you first example but your second one I don't. That is just where one user said that he already started a thread asking that which he did with just 7 minutes between them.

Anyway I am sure there are many more examples of the complete opposite where they have been told in a polite manner.

jasewood
09-11-2008, 16:15
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=58647&highlight=demo
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=58520&highlight=Injuries
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=58403&highlight=Injuries post 4

I'll add any I find when I find them if that's ok.

Sorry if I have offended anyone by posting question some users people skills - I didn't want to single anyone out as I don't really see the need in falling out with anyone.

Hope people can maybe show more respect for each other in the future....Im finished with putting my point across but will stick up more links if you see them so my point doesn't become "null"

Cheers,

Jason

jasewood
09-11-2008, 16:17
The post in question, is this one...

But Dave has an inferior amount of posts, and I honestly wouldn't regard him as a GD "regular". The post in itself, isn't THAT bad. Its nothing like what you've claimed they are like, and he even answers the OP's question. Yes, it could have been a little nice, granted, but this is hardly Brown-nosing towards SI, is it?

And once again..

- this is one example, and doesn't prove anything. On top of that, its not exactly a great example, considering the member in question is hardly a "forum veteran".

Christ, I never said I was talking about "Veterens" or people with more posts exclusively did I? Wish you would take that in.

I agree it's a bit timid but still no need for some of it.

It proves my theory by the fact that some else sees it - I never said it was a fact, Did I?

Have fun.

jasewood
09-11-2008, 16:18
Jasewood, I agree with you first example but your second one I don't. That is just where one user said that he already started a thread asking that which he did with just 7 minutes between them.

Anyway I am sure there are many more examples of the complete opposite where they have been told in a polite manner.

And so there should be more posts with polite manners - Well, I hope so.

Kain
09-11-2008, 16:19
PIRACY
Tbh, I'm getting a bit fed up of all the ******* and idiots on this site who think it's acceptable to defend piracy in light of SI's DRM measures. FFS - this isn't SecuROM we're talking about here!! It's all a bit pathetic recently, and as someone who feels strongly against piracy this is beginning to p!ss me off. What's really p!ssing me off is that no-one seems to be picking up on all the people who are blatantly advocating piracy and warez.

This forum has really tipped downhill in recent days.

I'm not a fan of DRM either fwiw - I've long argued about alternative methods to beat piracy, but the fact a game has DRM doens't automatically give you the right to go about talking about pirating games. I'm really surprised, and saddened, that the mods on a message board for a games developer don't do more to nip talk of piracy in the bud. I'm all for arguing against DRM, but when people talk about pirating the game, well that's quite sad.

Fully agree with that, and not just about the game either. I seem to remember the typical anti-piracy stance on here being that any talk of piracy, of any kind, led to a yellow card at the least. Someone on here the other day openly admitted to downloading music for free (I think in an entire thread about piracy) and absolutely nothing happened.

GillsMan
09-11-2008, 16:19
Jase, I don't think those examples you supplied are the best - but that doesn't negate your point. I think some of us agreed recently to be more positive when redirecting posters, and I think that's been shown in the last couple of days.

jod123
09-11-2008, 16:23
And so there should be more posts with polite manners - Well, I hope so.

Yeah, I fully agree. I don't think some of the examples you gave were the best but I have seen what you are talking about myself and I agree it should not happen either.

Neji
09-11-2008, 16:52
Christ, I never said I was talking about "Veterens" or people with more posts exclusively did I? Wish you would take that in.

The confusion in this thread is because I (and seemingly others) thought you were talking about posters with alot of posts ie several thousands. I'm not sure where I got that idea from though, tbh, so apologies for that.

You're absolutely right that these sarcastic, pointless posts shouldn't be happening and you posted some examples. The example did highlight what happens alot on here too. What I was trying to point out is that, it's pretty rare that posters who are on here alot are making the comments - obviously it does happen but IMO it is the newer members who do it more.

I suppose the question is, who do you deal with them? Do you go and start giving infractions everytime someone makes a post like that or is that unfair? Do you punish the OP for posting (for example) a duplicate thread, aswell?

I actually also think that, when I first joined these posts were happening constantly and IMO, over the last year - it has been MUCH better. Then you come to the last couple of weeks (months, maybe) and it is a big problem again.

jasewood
09-11-2008, 17:20
Jase, I don't think those examples you supplied are the best - but that doesn't negate your point. I think some of us agreed recently to be more positive when redirecting posters, and I think that's been shown in the last couple of days.

The links were found from typing in Demo & Injuries and I picked a couple from them - It was just a quick scan and I agree the were a bit timid but I wanted to give some examples of the needles comments made.

Intrestingly I typed in Idiot and got 16 pages of threads :)

canvey!!
09-11-2008, 18:47
I appreciate you're not discussing more experienced posters here but it's rather clear that they are not the issue. With the exception of maybe Adam.S (see thread: Shall we buy the game?), the plus 1,000 posters in the threads linked have behaved fine.

It's something we should be working towards to teach newer posters that getting all up-in-arms about a misplaced thread isn't acceptable.

Also, reading through those threads, I realise just how much text speak, abuse and poor paragraphing brings down the entire tone of the forums.

To reiterate, I know you're not discussing those posters more experienced, but the only example I can think of with more experienced posters acting like that, off the top of my head, is NepentheZ's post on the 1st April. It's not on the forums anymore.

Also, can I encourage you to multi-quote (the button with the '"+ Quote' written on it) to avoid posting four posts in a row?

09-11-2008, 19:16
Also, reading through those threads, I realise just how much text speak, abuse and poor paragraphing brings down the entire tone of the forums.

I av to admit tht txt spk propr annoys me. y dnt ppl just rite normlly

Ozzy38
09-11-2008, 19:28
Because chavs breed like rabbits.

canvey!!
09-11-2008, 19:29
Just out of interest 108, what did you get your infractions for?

jod123
09-11-2008, 19:34

This was from a previous post by 108. :)

My infractions were recieved when I initially started posting, one for comparing playing FM to having sex with a beautiful woman, and one for comparing players penises with that of mountain gorillas. Bad behaviour? No. Immature and the talk of someone slightly drunk? Maybe. Especially since both were recieved within 10 minutes of each other, I put it down to a few moments of childish behaviour.

09-11-2008, 19:36

One of them was because I compared playing football manager with having sex with a beautiful women.

And the other one was because I suggested it would be a nice addition to have penis length as a player attribute.

I happened to be slightly drunk when posting that day, so my immaturity shone through.

Would I be allowed to post the links to the thread which contain my infractions, or would I receive another infraction for doing that?

jod123
09-11-2008, 19:41
Would I be allowed to post the links to the thread which contain my infractions, or would I receive another infraction for doing that?

I would not imagine you would receive an infraction for doing that but do not take my word on it. I don't want to feel responsible if you got banned as a result. :o

NepentheZ
09-11-2008, 20:16
I appreciate you're not discussing more experienced posters here but it's rather clear that they are not the issue. With the exception of maybe Adam.S (see thread: Shall we buy the game?), the plus 1,000 posters in the threads linked have behaved fine.

It's something we should be working towards to teach newer posters that getting all up-in-arms about a misplaced thread isn't acceptable.

To reiterate, I know you're not discussing those posters more experienced, but the only example I can think of with more experienced posters acting like that, off the top of my head, is NepentheZ's post on the 1st April. It's not on the forums anymore.

Also, can I encourage you to multi-quote (the button with the '"+ Quote' written on it) to avoid posting four posts in a row?

Ahh yes. My first, last and only moment of madness on these forums. That was a tough day. :(:o

canvey!!
09-11-2008, 22:33
With regards to post count, I think it's very important for new users so that they can see which members are more likely to give a friendly, helpful answer. However, it isn't a strict correlation, something new users will realise and form their own opinions (of high-post count posters) as time goes by. For example, there is one user with twice as many posts as me whom I don't regard as a good or even experienced poster. If I were new to the forum today, I may regard him as a role model (scary as the thought is). Along those lines, there's plenty of scope for newer users to be quality posters, even with only a couple hundred posts.

Sorry for the dramatic veering off-topic, the thoughts just suddenly appeared to me. :)

GillsMan
09-11-2008, 22:42
With regards to post count, I think it's very important for new users so that they can see which members are more likely to give a friendly, helpful answer. However, it isn't a strict correlation, something new users will realise and form their own opinions (of high-post count posters) as time goes by. For example, there is one user with twice as many posts as me whom I don't regard as a good or even experienced poster. If I were new to the forum today, I may regard him as a role model (scary as the thought is). Along those lines, there's plenty of scope for newer users to be quality posters, even with only a couple hundred posts.

Sorry for the dramatic veering off-topic, the thoughts just suddenly appeared to me. :)

Oooh I'm curious, who?? Wait a minute...*notes own post count*... :mad: :D

jasewood
10-11-2008, 08:36

I know how to multi quote, If you look at the time difference in my posts you'll see there is a couple of minutes in between.

And regardless is that breaking the rules or does it just annoy you?

chopper99
10-11-2008, 10:34
Bloody hell, you get back after the weekend and this thread's gone crazy!! I'm only just half way through catching up with the new posts made since Friday but I have to answer this post before carrying on:

The reason I made a new post rather than reply in this one was that this thread has been here since last year and the situation is worse now than last year. So while this thread was still there and was still sticky it was being ignored.

Rubbish. The situation on the boards this year is miles better than last year when this thread was started. The regular posters who have contributed to this thread have all made a concious effort to be less abrasive with people and this has without question made a noticeable difference to the GD forum.

My main point is that 90% of all threads whether they start ok or not will have an argument, personal abuse or petty bickering included within it.

While this may be true I think you'll find that it's always caused by newer, less mature members. The 'regulars' almost always try their best to help people, and will only start losing their patience with someone who deserves it. I'm sorry but there are plenty of newer members who sign up to these forums just to be a pain in the bum, and if you expect people to just completely ignore that then you're kidding yourself.

As for the person who commented on my original post by saying I shouldn't be counted as a long time user because I don't have many posts. Well I spend most of my time playing the game and only post on here if I think I can help or if I have something to say. I don't post thousands of sarcastic remarks offering no help at all. But thank you for your post, it demonstrated my point perfectly.

I can honestly say that I can't think of one regular GD user who continuously posts sarcastic remarks and doesn't try to help people. If you really are a long term forum user then you can't fail to have noticed the improvements in this forum since this thread was started.

The trouble is simply that people are too quick to spit their dummy out if someone disagrees with them or tells them that they may be wrong. And 95% of the time this is done by newer members who have no interest in debating anything, they simply expect people to agree with them and consider anyone who doesn't to be a brown nosing fan boy. Someone asked earlier why regular posters feel the need to even bother replying to the threads that they don't like. Well I'll tell you. I like this forum and I like the majority of people in this form. How much I like them has nothing to do with whether they have a high post count or not, or whether they agree with me or not (in fact one person I do like talking to on here is Mijta (sp?) simply because I've had some great debates with him over the months, we'll never agree about PA and other things, but we never feel the need to attack each other because we disagree). How much I like them and want to help them depends simply on their attitude. And tbh a lot of newer posters attitudes stink.

So if people approach the place with a bad attitude then that's what they'll end up getting back, unfortunately. So I'm sorry, if I see someone on here acting like an idiot then I'll pull them on it, regardless of their post count. And I'll do that not because I want to be a mod or feel that I own the place, I'll do it to try and discourage idiotic post and to try and keep some kind of standards in the forum that I enjoy spending time. If people think there's anything wrong with that then tough, if it makes people think twice about what they post, as some people have suggested, then imo that's a good thing.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 10:52
chopper99 - That is all spot on. The GD forum is so much friendlier compared to the way it was when I first signed up. The regular users are much less hostile and helpful than I remember them being when I was new. In terms of how welcoming to newcomers it is, GD seems to be one of the best of all the SI forums.

The thing is, there seems to be a vocal 'I want to do whatever the hell I like and not get called for it' brigade who throw hissy fits the moment someone takes exception or tries to help them post properly.

chopper99
10-11-2008, 11:01
The thing is, there seems to be a vocal 'I want to do whatever the hell I like and not get called for it' brigade who throw hissy fits the moment someone takes exception or tries to help them post properly.

Exactly, and this is the only thing that will get a negative response out of me these days. Unfortunately this is an attitude that seems to be all over the place these days, the whole 'I can be as stupid as I like and blame it on someone else when I hurt myself/end up in trouble' attitude.

I may be being harsh here but I also feel that this is not helped by the fact that more and more young people have access to the internet these days. I'm not saying all young people are bad posters, there are some excellent young posters on these forums, but I would say that the majority of bad posters are younger people.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 11:07
I may be being harsh here but I also feel that this is not helped by the fact that more and more young people have access to the internet these days. I'm not saying all young people are bad posters, there are some excellent young posters on these forums, but I would say that the majority of bad posters are younger people.

There's some truth in this. I often despair about someone's complete inability to hold an adult discussion, only to see in their profile that they're about 14 years old. I guess that makes it a bit more excusable, although there are some great young posters too, as you say. An example would be peter-evo. According to his profile, he's only 13, but a lot of his posts put to shame some I've seen from people in their early 20s.

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 11:38
It's my birthday today. What presents did you all get me?

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 11:40

I have half a Spam butty from brekkie I could post to you, if you're interested. Many happy returns!

Suttface
10-11-2008, 11:42
Perhaps a license is needed to post. I'll draft a suitable test that will include a practical, and of course, the obligatory theory test. A minimum 3 hour written exam should do. The practical will be based around 4 physical tasks, one of which will involve a dragon. Only when you have completed these tasks will you be allowed to post on this forum. Who's in?

On a serious note, we shouldn't let age mask some appauling posting 'mistakes'. The elder gentlefolk are just as capable of pathetic and irrevelent posting as the younger. Take your point tho, there appears to be a general age/ annoying posts correlation.

chopper99
10-11-2008, 11:43

I got you a cake. Unfortunately the Royal Mail said it would probably get damaged if posted so I ate it.

Never mind, it's the thought that counts :)

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 12:06
I got you a cake. Unfortunately the Royal Mail said it would probably get damaged if posted so I ate it.

Never mind, it's the thought that counts :)

Probably best you did eat it, given the Royal Mail's propensity for damaging anything they deliver.

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 12:32
Probably best you did eat it, given the Royal Mail's propensity for damaging anything they deliver.

Teeth marks round the outside of the cake no doubt. One of the two (yes, TWO) birthday cards I received looked like it had been opened at the corners. :thdn:

chopper99
10-11-2008, 12:51
Teeth marks round the outside of the cake no doubt. One of the two (yes, TWO) birthday cards I received looked like it had been opened at the corners. :thdn:

They were probably checking for money in the cards.

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 13:01
They were probably checking for money in the cards.

It was sent from my dad - they needn't have bothered! Tight basta... :D

chopper99
10-11-2008, 13:32
It was sent from my dad - they needn't have bothered! Tight basta... :D

:D Ah well, happy birthday anyway.

Let's just hope the nosey postie cut his fingers on the envelope!

Suttface
10-11-2008, 14:54
Happy Birthday GillsMan... I'll buy you something later. Perhaps a patch for FM 2009? ;) You'll have to wait till the 14th tho.

Failing that, I've just started a nice juicy Golden Delicious apple. I could send you the rest?

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 14:55
Happy Birthday GillsMan... I'll buy you something later. Perhaps a patch for FM 2009? ;) You'll have to wait till the 14th tho.

Failing that, I've just started a nice juicy Golden Delicious apple. I could send you the rest?

Fruit? Urgh! Cakes? Yum!

Anyways, we'd better stop this before we get busted for spam! :D Forums, yes...er, nice.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 15:02
Fruit? Urgh! Cakes? Yum!

Anyways, we'd better stop this before we get busted for spam! :D Forums, yes...er, nice.

I think you should be banned for spamming... It's exactly this birthday nonsense that should be stamped out. And you were far too aggressive when talking about you birthday. I think it's because you are a veteran poster (and therefore arrogant) with ideas above your station. Stop bossing me about birthday boy. ;)

Anyway, the discussion of abuse as gone quiet. Maybe Jasewood can't find any suitable posts to back up his theory...? For what it is worth, I think the forums are about a million times friendlier than they were- I spent along time 'on the outside looking in' because I was scared of some of the abuse banded around. Yes, there are still rude and obnoxious posts, but I don't think that this will ever be totally erradicated from any public forum.

Kriss
10-11-2008, 15:34
I think you should be banned for spamming... It's exactly this birthday nonsense that should be stamped out. And you were far too aggressive when talking about you birthday. I think it's because you are a veteran poster (and therefore arrogant) with ideas above your station. Stop bossing me about birthday boy. ;)

Anyway, the discussion of abuse as gone quiet. Maybe Jasewood can't find any suitable posts to back up his theory...? For what it is worth, I think the forums are about a million times friendlier than they were- I spent along time 'on the outside looking in' because I was scared of some of the abuse banded around. Yes, there are still rude and obnoxious posts, but I don't think that this will ever be totally erradicated from any public forum.

Yeh, especially the damned spelling police:mad: (it's bandied btw):D

Suttface
10-11-2008, 15:46
Yeh, especially the damned spelling police:mad: (it's bandied btw):D

Damn. i'll hanged my hed in shaim... :)

10-11-2008, 15:46
This post is for the sole purpose of increasing my post count.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 17:12

So's this one. ;)

10-11-2008, 17:17
So's this one. ;)

Stop spamming ;)

dafuge
10-11-2008, 17:34
Enough spamming please people.

canvey!!
10-11-2008, 17:53
Oooh I'm curious, who?? Wait a minute...*notes own post count*... :mad: :D

Don't worry, it's not you :).

And regardless is that breaking the rules or does it just annoy you?

No it just annoys me. You can also edit your posts of course, to put all the quotes into one.

I bought you a cat. I'll mail it to you. It's actually my mum's birthday today also.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 19:05
Seeing as I don't think it's been said yet, let me be the first to say that our new, dedicated moderator, skorp, has been doing an excellent job in my opinion. I've been impressed. :thup:

canvey!!
10-11-2008, 19:19
Is skorp the mod? Bit of an anticlimax!
But I'm sure he's great and from what I've seen of him he is looking good, very efficient. Of course I don't spend too much time around GQ these days.

10-11-2008, 19:54

Enough spamming please people.

I cant believe you just gave me a warning for that post. How much harm did I actually cause by posting that. The person who posted after me who also 'spammed', was it because of his high post count that he did not also recieve a warning?

This has just emphasized what we have all been talking about in this thread about the 'class system' that seems to exist in these forums. There seems to exist a 'we own this place' sort of mentality from some long term posters. Its a shame that a handful of moderators seem to abuse their power in a 'one rule for them, one rule for us' way.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 19:58
I cant believe you just gave me a warning for that post. How much harm did I actually cause by posting that. The person who posted after me who also 'spammed', was it because of his high post count that he did not also recieve a warning?

This has just emphasized what we have all been talking about in this thread about the 'class system' that seems to exist in these forums. There seems to exist a 'we own this place' sort of mentality from some long term posters. Its a shame that a handful of moderators seem to abuse their power for the detriment of the rest of us.

To be fair, I think it was aimed just as much at the other posts (mine included) as it was at yours.

Good point raised tho, although it is one I disagree with. I haven't noticed any 'special treatment' administered on the forums. Of course, I stand to be corrected.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:02

This has just emphasized what we have all been talking about in this thread about the 'class system' that seems to exist in these forums. There seems to exist a 'we own this place' sort of mentality from some long term posters. Its a shame that a handful of moderators seem to abuse their power in a 'one rule for them, one rule for us' way.

My post was quite clearly designed to bring attention to the silliness that you were displaying. Thankfully, the mods understood that. I doubt you have it in you to see it. But you have to remember that I have probably earned the right to have a blind eye turned occasionally due to the vast amount of decent posts I make. You, on the other hands, have been warned on numerous occasions and yet continue to specialise in gibberish.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 20:04
My post was quite clearly designed to bring attention to the silliness that you were displaying. Thankfully, the mods understood that. I doubt you have it in you to see it. But you have to remember that I have probably earned the right to have a blind eye turned occasionally due to the vast amount of decent posts I make. You, on the other hands, have been warned on numerous occasions and yet continue to specialise in gibberish.

As an impartial observer, this makes you sound somewhat arrogant. There is a definite air of 'old boy network about this post. I only mention it because I think it can be intimadating to those with less posts. The mods surely have to call a spade a spade?

10-11-2008, 20:05
To be fair, I think it was aimed just as much at the other posts (mine included) as it was at yours.

Good point raised tho, although it is one I disagree with. I haven't noticed any 'special treatment' administered on the forums. Of course, I stand to be corrected.

Not so much 'special treatment', but if two people spam, in a non-harmful way that is obviously meant to be ironic in context with the debate ongoing within the thread, as well as happening within a 'sticky' and thus not bringing that topic to the top of the forum for no reason, I dont see why a warning should be issued.

And especially one warning for me, and not for 'Mikey7077' who also clearly spammed. I'm not saying I want him to get a warning, because I dont, i just feel moderators should moderator fairly and precisely. I guarantee you if my post count was over a thousand, and he 'knew of me' then I would not recieve a warning.

10-11-2008, 20:07

We were both being 'silly' in fairness. Just because you have history of good posting, does not mean you should be treated more fairly that others.

If so, then my point about this forum has been proved. SI need to address the current moderating standards.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:09
As an impartial observer, this makes you sound somewhat arrogant. There is a definite air of 'old boy network about this post. I only mention it because I think it can be intimadating to those with less posts. The mods surely have to call a spade a spade?

You misinterpreted me. I was explaining what the point of my post was. You have to remember what 108 behaves like. When you have a history of silly posts and being warned, you aren't going to get away with things. I, however, have a history of good posts. Or at least attempts at good posts! Therefore, I believe that dafuge telling people to stop spamming was enough. I wasn't trying to sound arrogant. You'll find posts in this very thread from me in which I remind people who've been around longer that they should try and remember what it's like to be new. I also regularly engage in perfectly friendly discussions with newer forum members. I have no sympathy with 108, though, because he is a serial spammer. I can only apologise that my original intention, which was to draw attention to his silliness, was done in a way which was not easy to interpret.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:11
We were both being 'silly' in fairness. Just because you have history of good posting, does not mean you should be treated more fairly that others.

If so, then my point about this forum has been proved. SI need to address the current moderating standards.

I didn't get away with it. dafuge said to stop spamming. I obeyed that. I believe it would be far fairer for neither of us to get a warning rather than both of us.

10-11-2008, 20:14
I didn't get away with it. dafuge said to stop spamming. I obeyed that. I believe it would be far fairer for neither of us to get a warning rather than both of us.

There i agree! I dont think either of us should have got a warning, espeically for something so harmless! His post alone would have been more than enough, to warn of spamming. If I then carried on with blatent spamming an official warning would have been satisfactory.

Common sense should have prevailed.

I'm now one more 'spam' post away from a ban.

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 20:16
If I was mod I'd have made the warning (as in the verbal command to stop spamming) count to both Mike and 108 and just left it at that. Regardless of previous, I didn't think anything deserved an infraction, although posting a post saying "this is for the sole purpose of increasing my post count" wasn't the most clever thing you've ever posted 108.

If it was me, I'd have reduced your post count by 50 instead of handing out an infraction.

I get what Mike was saying - and to be fair he is one of the most helpful posters on this forum. I do get 108's point that it seems a little bit unfair that he got an infraction and not Mike. I guess, in my personal opinion, an infraction perhaps wasn't necessary (I far more prefer the "punishment" of reducing post count - a much more apt punishment for spamming/post boosting in my opinion).

That said, I probably deserved an infraction for my pointless post about my birthday tbh.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 20:17
You misinterpreted me. I was explaining what the point of my post was. You have to remember what 108 behaves like. When you have a history of silly posts and being warned, you aren't going to get away with things. I, however, have a history of good posts. Or at least attempts at good posts! Therefore, I believe that dafuge telling people to stop spamming was enough. I wasn't trying to sound arrogant. You'll find posts in this very thread from me in which I remind people who've been around longer that they should try and remember what it's like to be new. I also regularly engage in perfectly friendly discussions with newer forum members. I have no sympathy with 108, though, because he is a serial spammer. I can only apologise that my original intention, which was to draw attention to his silliness, was done in a way which was not easy to interpret.

Point taken. I can understand why 108 is upset on this occassion though- from my point of view your posts amounted to the same thing really, regardless of intentions. I do feel mods need to be careful and treat each case the same. Having said that, I know it is hard not to take 'previous' into consideration!

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:18
There i agree! I dont think either of us should have got a warning, espeically for something so harmless! His post alone would have been more than enough, to warn of spamming. If I then carried on with blatent spamming an official warning would have been satisfactory.

Common sense should have prevailed.

I'm now one more 'spam' post away from a ban.

You have to realise that the nature of a lot of your posts kinda means your reputation goes before you. Trust me, this forum is pretty great. I was new once. Not even that long ago. All you have to do is post constructively and you'll be welcome. The occasional silly remark will then be overlooked. We can debate the rightness or wrongness of that, but it is the way of things right now.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:19
Point taken. I can understand why 108 is upset on this occassion though- from my point of view your posts amounted to the same thing really, regardless of intentions. I do feel mods need to be careful and treat each case the same. Having said that, I know it is hard not to take 'previous' into consideration!

There's barely any area of life where reputations and 'previous' don't play a part in things.

10-11-2008, 20:20
If I was mod I'd have made the warning (as in the verbal command to stop spamming) count to both Mike and 108 and just left it at that. Regardless of previous, I didn't think anything deserved an infraction, although posting a post saying "this is for the sole purpose of increasing my post count" wasn't the most clever thing you've ever posted 108.

If it was me, I'd have reduced your post count by 50 instead of handing out an infraction.

I get what Mike was saying - and to be fair he is one of the most helpful posters on this forum. I do get 108's point that it seems a little bit unfair that he got an infraction and not Mike. I guess, in my personal opinion, an infraction perhaps wasn't necessary (I far more prefer the "punishment" of reducing post count - a much more apt punishment for spamming/post boosting in my opinion.

That said, I probably deserved an infraction for my pointless post about my birthday tbh.

At last someone with a little bit of grey matter! I totally agree with the reducing post count. The best and most effective punishment for someone who is trying to raise their post count.

dafuge
10-11-2008, 20:21

Unfortunately us mods can't do that, otherwise that would have been more appropriate than handing out a warning.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:21

It may have been pointless, but it was certainly not silly in the way 108's and mine were (although I was trying to be a smartass rather than an idiot, if you can see any difference!). If anything, your post about your birthday showed the need for some sort of off-topic thread.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 20:22
There's barely any area of life where reputations and 'previous' don't play a part in things.

True, not sure that's right tho. More a subtle and accepted form of discrimination. But discrimination nonetheless.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:23
At last someone with a little bit of grey matter! I totally agree with the reducing post count. The best and most effective punishment for someone who is trying to raise their post count.

Only problem is, I wasn't trying to do that. I know you said you were, but is that what you were really trying to do? I doubt it.

10-11-2008, 20:23

Just take a look into any democratic country's court of law.

The jurors dont sit there being told of a defendants previous crime history. They listen to a fair and balanced account of an incident.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:25
True, not sure that's right tho. More a subtle and accepted form of discrimination. But discrimination nonetheless.

I disagree in an instance like this. If your form is good, there's nothing wrong with a verbal warning. If I stole a chocolate bar, I would hope for a lighter punishment than a serial thief! Not sure how good an analogy that is... :D

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:26
Just take a look into any democratic country's court of law.

The jurors dont sit there being told of a defendants previous crime history. They listen to a fair and balanced account of an incident.

Repeat offenders get stronger punishments than first-timers.

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 20:26
Unfortunately us mods can't do that, otherwise that would have been more appropriate than handing out a warning.

Ah, shame! I used to really care about post counts until, on one forum, my post count was reduced from 4,000 odd to 0 after an argument with a mod. I was gutted at first, until I stopped caring and realised how silly it was! I get why people care about post count - it is a statement of experience or longevity after all - but it's not the be all and end all I suppose.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 20:31
Repeat offenders get stronger punishments than first-timers.

Ah yes, but only when found guilty. Were you both guilty or innocent...? :) Anyway, I'm completely blameless and should therefore be given some kind of SI Forum knighthood, complete with lands and titles in Scotland and the West Country. You can all come and visit.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:31
It's worth pointing out that, to get warnings and infractions against your name on here, it takes either a rude or offensive post, or a series of pointless and silly ones. As I don't do those things, a warning or infraction against my name would have been unfair. Whilst 108 doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, post rudely or offensively, he does serially post in a silly or pointless way.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 20:36
Ah, shame! I used to really care about post counts until, on one forum, my post count was reduced from 4,000 odd to 0 after an argument with a mod. I was gutted at first, until I stopped caring and realised how silly it was! I get why people care about post count - it is a statement of experience or longevity after all - but it's not the be all and end all I suppose.

It does beg the question, 'Why is the number of posts publicly displayed?' It really shouldn't have any relevence to posting and it does encourage some kind of unofficial hierarchy. It also leaves people open to accusation, either 'You're a vet and therefore a bully' or 'you're a rude and stupid newbie'. Get rid of the post count on the post display.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:38
It does beg the question, 'Why is the number of posts publicly displayed?' It really shouldn't have any relevence to posting and it does encourage some kind of unofficial hierarchy. It also leaves people open to accusation, either 'You're a vet and therefore a bully' or 'you're a rude and stupid newbie'. Get rid of the post count on the post display.

It never used to be displayed before the forum move. I think I preferred it when it wasn't on view, but the best thing to do would be to foster mutual respect among all users, regardless of post count and status. Look at the way you and I are talking. Perfectly civil, no?

greg4eb
10-11-2008, 20:41
ooooooooohhhhhhhh MILES YOUR FABBB!!!! CMOON U HORRRNSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iva had a shiver in my spinee,,, shiver me timbers, mmm hmm.

canvey!!
10-11-2008, 20:44
I cared much less about my post count when it wasn't displayed.
All offences should be treated the same, with no account of previous reputation taken into account. tbh, I couldn't tell any difference between the style of 108's and that of Mike's "spamming post", and IMO an equal punishment should be given for both.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:46
I cared much less about my post count when it wasn't displayed.
All offences should be treated the same, with no account of previous reputation taken into account. tbh, I couldn't tell any difference between the style of 108's and that of Mike's "spamming post", and IMO an equal punishment should be given for both.

Yes, but look around the forum. You don't get punished for one silly post. Nobody does. It takes a few goes to get that infraction. I would say that dafuge asking us to stop spamming was plenty.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 20:54
ooooooooohhhhhhhh MILES YOUR FABBB!!!! CMOON U HORRRNSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iva had a shiver in my spinee,,, shiver me timbers, mmm hmm.

Is this the kind of 'strange' post people are talking about? Not sure of your point poster.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 20:56
Is this the kind of 'strange' post people are talking about? Not sure of your point poster.

I suspect he's trying to either see how long it takes to get banned, or he's trying to wind us lot up.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 21:00
I suspect he's trying to either see how long it takes to get banned, or he's trying to wind us lot up.

Ah, I am so naive and optimistic- I assumed he was just a poor lost soul searching for guidance... Either that or seriously disturbed. Can't see why anyone would try and wind us up... ;)

GillsMan
10-11-2008, 21:08

I ignored him. Suggest we all do likewise. :thup:

10-11-2008, 21:22
Anyway, dafuge has kindly sent me a private message detailing why in his opinion he felt I deserved a warning for my 'spam'. Even though I disagree, I respect that he had the decency to explain his decision -

And I apologise to him for not talking to him directly, and posting publicly of my dissatisfaction.

The irony of all of this though, is the fact that my original 'increasing my post count' post and the subsequent warning, has led to me increasing my post count even further!

Ohhhh i'm living on the edge now, anymore spamming from me and i'm banned :(

Suttface
10-11-2008, 21:26
Out of curiosity, why can't mods reduce post counts? If they are going to be publicly displayed (post counts), then this seems like a good solution.

Mike7077
10-11-2008, 21:29
I suddenly feel like I don't know what I can say anymore. I feel like any jokey post is likely to end up in a warning. But sometimes you see things in what people say and you can't help wanting to say something funny or have a joke about it.

Suttface
10-11-2008, 21:35
I suddenly feel like I don't know what I can say anymore. I feel like any jokey post is likely to end up in a warning. But sometimes you see things in what people say and you can't help wanting to say something funny or have a joke about it.

Cheer up! I don't think anyone is trying to remove humour from the forums. That would be akin to removing the swearing from a Chubby Brown DVD, pointless. Everyone loves a joke, I just can't think of a suitable one... Wait for it... No, it's gone. Well, actually, it was never there. On an aside, Matt from SEGA has got news for us tomorrow... Exciting! I wonder if he'll confirm (for the 1,000,000th time) that the game will be activated on the 14th...? :)

10-11-2008, 21:35

I always felt the best way to have a light-hearted jokey post would be to post in a thread that already had 31 pages and was stickied to the top of the forum. That way it hardly effects anyone apart from those who are also active in that thread. Seems I was wrong! One mis-placed joke or irrelevant subject matter from me again, and I gotta wave this place goodbye.

canvey!!
10-11-2008, 21:38
I always felt the best way to have a light-hearted jokey post would be to post in a thread that already had 31 pages and was stickied to the top of the forum. That way it hardly effects anyone apart from those who are also active in that thread. Seems I was wrong! One mis-placed joke or irrelevant subject matter from me again, and I gotta wave this place goodbye.

:)

Calm down, you just received an warning, not another infraction. Besides, if you were to receive another infraction, you'd only be banned for a week. I get this image of you waving away at the forums from your drab black cab as you are whisked away in stormy weather to nowhere in particular. :(

10-11-2008, 21:40
:)

Calm down, you just received an warning, not another infraction. Besides, if you were to receive another infraction, you'd only be banned for a week. I get this image of you waving away at the forums from your drab black cab as you are whisked away in stormy weather to nowhere in particular. :(

lol!

I dont know the difference between warnings, infractions and whatever. All I see, is a fraction that appears under my name thats keeps getting bigger. And the fact that deep down i'm such a kind hearted warm and friendly guy makes it all seem like a massive injustice!

Kain
10-11-2008, 21:45
Out of curiosity, why can't mods reduce post counts? If they are going to be publicly displayed (post counts), then this seems like a good solution.

Its the current limitations of the new board. They used to be able to do it on the old board, and I'm sure once they get somebody in to look after the boards properly, they'll figure out how to do it again.

PS For anybody who thinks boosting their post count will mean people respect their opinions more, look at me. Over 10000 posts, none of which are spam, and I'm still rather unknown/unrecognizable. :(

Neji
10-11-2008, 21:46

I think that making a joke as a reply to someone is fine. When you post pointless posts that has nothing to do with anything, then you may get a warning.

Ohhhh i'm living on the edge now, anymore spamming from me and i'm banned :(

Then, don't spam. It really isn't that difficuly to avoid spamming :thup:

Neji
10-11-2008, 22:14
Also, is skorp a dedicated GQ mod then?

leftback in the changing room
10-11-2008, 23:02

Maybe I'm being a bit daft, but who is skorp?

Neji
10-11-2008, 23:28
Maybe I'm being a bit daft, but who is skorp?

A new mod, seemed to come from nowhere :p

10-11-2008, 23:48
A new mod, seemed to come from nowhere :p

I would like some questions answered about these moderators, just out of curiosity! Who are the main moderators of the forum, such as the ones who pick who the other moderators are going to be? and what do you have to do to become a moderator in the first place? Is there a forum vote to who's the new moderator? Or do SI staff themselves pick who they're gonna be?

And what I REALLY want to know is when am I going to be given moderator privileges?

I feel I have more to offer this forum then the 95% of the users on here, as I have both that appealing charisma that makes me so lovable, as well as that integral substance of knowledge and wisdom. I'm fair, impartial and bring freshness to the game. I'm the strongest asset this forum has left...don't let the best thing to happen to this place slip away without a fight...

Lets here it SI, who thinks I should be made a moderator?? WHOS WITH ME?? ;)

jod123
11-11-2008, 00:23
lol!

I dont know the difference between warnings, infractions and whatever. All I see, is a fraction that appears under my name thats keeps getting bigger. And the fact that deep down i'm such a kind hearted warm and friendly guy makes it all seem like a massive injustice!

A warning is just a that a warning. :D They don't directly contribute towards you getting infraction points or banning. But i would assume if you can get an infraction if you need to keep being warned.

An infraction is a punishment and if you get 30 points (you have 20) then you will be banned for a week. Get 60 and you will be banned for 2 weeks and so on. Get 1000 and you will be permanently banned.

About your post about mods. I think that it is the current mods who nominate a person between themselves and they have a private vote or something and then the person is approached if the the majority of mods want them.

Ter
11-11-2008, 08:45

skorp is one of our testers who has been asked to help out in this section of the forums. You'll see the same thing is happening in the bugs forum with our QA guys dealing with posts in there.

There were also two full time moderators appointed at the weekend, so things are starting to move forward now at last :)

Selleckta
11-11-2008, 15:57
skorp is policing GD like a ninja at the moment - Threads closed left, right and centre! Some people may judge it a tad harsh, but it's just the kind of efficient moderating I like to see and I think GD is running much better because of it!

I do wonder, however, whether today is a false calm before Friday's storm when the annual GD ******** reaches its blood-boiling peak!

GillsMan
11-11-2008, 16:20
What I like about Skorp's Moderation is that he's actually replying in threads he's closing. I hate seing threads closed with no post explaining why. Threads should always be closed with an explanation.

If mods are trying to avoid bumping the thread by posting in it at the same time as locking it, then they can just edit the last post in the thread as per my example below.

==================================
Thread locked. Please use search function
Skorp

11-11-2008, 17:17
What I like about Skorp's Moderation is that he's actually replying in threads he's closing. I hate seing threads closed with no post explaining why. Threads should always be closed with an explanation.

If mods are trying to avoid bumping the thread by posting in it at the same time as locking it, then they can just edit the last post in the thread as per my example below.

As somebody who proposed the no-nonsense 'reign of terror' ;) approach to modding in the past on this thread, it will be interesting to see how this approach works on release day and the few weeks beyond. Personally I'm planning on buying the game and patching it in December, and avoiding the GD forum completely from the day before release day until 2009; if the standard of posting is improved from last year then I might look in occasionally!

Skorp

At first glance I read it as THIS thread had been closed! Consider my melon thoroughly twisted :D

canvey!!
11-11-2008, 17:22
skorp is one of our testers who has been asked to help out in this section of the forums. You'll see the same thing is happening in the bugs forum with our QA guys dealing with posts in there.

There were also two full time moderators appointed at the weekend, so things are starting to move forward now at last :)

So I assume skorp wasn't elected in the same way as other mods are.

Can you tell me who the new moderators are and where they are dedicated please? (Of course if you haven't told them yet you might want to wait ;))

For 108's benefit, House Rule - Appointment of Moderators (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=29553).

Ter
11-11-2008, 19:16

Skorp

That's all well and good when you are new, but the motivation of posting when you see the same thing day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year just dies. Much quicker and easier to just close the topic most of the time. Especially at this time of year. Just like it's easier to move a topic to the correct section rather than closing it and pointing someone in the right direction.

So I assume skorp wasn't elected in the same way as other mods are.

Can you tell me who the new moderators are and where they are dedicated please? (Of course if you haven't told them yet you might want to wait ;))

For 108's benefit, House Rule - Appointment of Moderators (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=29553).

It's more fun to try and find them yourselves, and I can't remember if they are assigned anywhere yet. ;)

canvey!!
11-11-2008, 19:20
It's more fun to try and find them yourselves, and I can't remember if they are assigned anywhere yet. ;)

gah! I don't know for how long purefun and HoPeY have been moderators (both GPTG I think - that was certainly one forum looking for moderators). Also, is there really a 12-year-old SI employee (http://community.sigames.com/member.php?u=67711)?

arsenal_2111
11-11-2008, 21:19
Canvey!!

purefun and HoPeY have both been moderators since this Sunday IIRC. TBH they were asked about 7 months ago but it's only jsut gone through. Both are mainly in the GPTG.

canvey!!
11-11-2008, 21:50
Hooray, I was right! And btw, it's canvey!!, not canvery!! (because canvery isn't a word)
I think you'd make a good mod arsenal, from what I've seen of your posting.

jod123
11-11-2008, 23:12
Hooray, I was right! And btw, it's canvey!!, not canvery!! (because canvery isn't a word)
I think you'd make a good mod arsenal, from what I've seen of your posting.

Yeah arsenal2111 would make a very good mod, imo. I wonder who the youngest mod is as arsenal2111 would surely beat it. :D

chopper99
13-11-2008, 09:49
What it says in the title really. This thread is one I always check in on and yet it seems to have disappeared. Have I missed something or has it been deleted for some reason?

playmaker
13-11-2008, 10:41
Probably just run it's course and served it's purpose.

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 10:43
If I had to guess, I'd say that it almost ceased functioning for the purpose it was created.

chopper99
13-11-2008, 11:59
Would have been nice if we were told it was being deleted though, if that is indeed what's happened.

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 12:00
After some of my recent behaviour in that thread, I'm not sure I deserve an explanation.. :(

Rest of you do, though.

Scott McC
13-11-2008, 12:06
It's possibly just been un-stickied and when that happens it'll find it's place in with the other threads depending when the last reply was.

Unless some really horrific stuff went on in there... :p

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 12:10
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=25114&page=32&highlight=forums

Tharrr she blows!

FrazT
13-11-2008, 12:14
That thread has been opened for 14 months and had gone past its sell by date about 8 months ago IMO

Neji
13-11-2008, 13:39
That thread has been opened for 14 months and had gone past its sell by date about 8 months ago IMO

I disagree, the forums are always changing and that thread was a way for us to suggest ideas, or discuss problems with the forum. If we tried to do that by opening a thread in here, it would be closed.

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 13:41
I disagree, the forums are always changing and that thread was a way for us to suggest ideas, or discuss problems with the forum. If we tried to do that by opening a thread in here, it would be closed.

There were moments of farce in that thread, but there were also some really lively and worthwhile debates.

Neji
13-11-2008, 13:47
There were moments of farce in that thread, but there were also some really lively and worthwhile debates.

I agree, it did get a little bit mad at times :D

I thought it had been deleted at first, but it seems we can still use it if we want anyway. Plus, I was going to suggest getting rid of a few sticky's.

glamdring
13-11-2008, 13:52
It's ~150 pages long...no meaningful thread can be that long and still be meaningful!

Personally I just read the first post and never bothered with the thread again since it seemed more like a statement than something to be discussed endlessly!

GillsMan
13-11-2008, 13:53
It had basically become our Off Topic thread. :(

pelicanstuff
13-11-2008, 13:55
I'm waiting for this thread to fall down the board so I can make a "What's happened to the 'What's happened to the 'These Forums' thread?' thread." thread.

Edit: I've confused myself now.

Neji
13-11-2008, 13:56
Yeah, I guess so. I think we basically moaned about the same things over and over.. and over again too :D

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 14:05
GillsMan/Neji - Congratulations on your modship! Couldn't have happened to two more deserving forumites! :thup:

Now please be nice to me. :)

chopper99
13-11-2008, 14:55
GillsMan/Neji - Congratulations on your modship! Couldn't have happened to two more deserving forumites! :thup:

Seconded, now get out of here and close some patch/authentication threads ;)

glamdring
13-11-2008, 14:58

:thup:

If only in relief that Mike7077 hasn't become a mod :p

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 16:51
:thup:

If only in relief that Mike7077 hasn't become a mod :p

If I did, first thing I'd do would be to ban you! :p

Now I'm gonna complain about your post 'cause it was mean! Hmmph! :(

Ter
13-11-2008, 16:53
We offered a third person a moderator position but they refused :(

So who wants it? ;)

pelicanstuff
13-11-2008, 16:56

So who wants it? ;)

I doubt you'll have many takers at all for quite some time after the release. I imagine it will be very hard work these next few weeks.

TomHAVFC
13-11-2008, 16:58

So who wants it? ;)

I'll have it Ter, I don't mind the workload or anything. I'm on the forums as soon as I get home till the moment I go to bed.

Glenn Wakeford
13-11-2008, 16:59
It will be nice to have a little help closing these bloomin' threads, welcome fellas!

TomHAVFC
13-11-2008, 17:02
Pick me, pick me, pick me pick me!

fattyg
13-11-2008, 17:06

I'd like to echo this really. I don't tend to post on here that much and when I do I rarely have anything useful to contribute lol but I am on here a lot just reading through threads and always felt you two would make some darn good mods.

Anyway, thats my effort to get into your good books :). Just kidding, I just felt I would state my thoughts.

Good day to all..

13-11-2008, 17:09
That 'These Forum's thread was good, it gave people a chance to talk about things that weren't necesarily of seperate thread creation importance.

It was useful to raise issues in and post things of irrelevance, such as the time I posted only for the sole purpose of increasing my post count. Which, infact, is the only reason i'm posting now! :)

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 17:22

It had basically become our Off Topic thread. :(

My goodness :eek: - congratulations Neji and GillsMan! Good choices.

Just stay cool ;).

VonBlade
13-11-2008, 17:24
That's all well and good when you are new, but the motivation of posting when you see the same thing day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year just dies. Much quicker and easier to just close the topic most of the time.

Couple of things spring to mind.

1) If you can't be bothered explaining why you've closed it, perhaps moderation isn't for you.
2) Quite a lot of threads are closed for no blatantly obvious reason and so it would be handy to know the reason. It might also reduce the amount of "what happened to my topic" topics. Obviously some "Zomg SI are teH suckk!!" threads don't need an explanation, but a small post at the bottom is a courtesy.
3) Bring out the banhammer a bit more often. The amount of posts that are either horrifically bad taste or blatantly illegal and yet go unpunished barring a thread closure is ridiculous.

Amaroq
13-11-2008, 17:31
Neji, GillsMan, congratulations. Well, well deserved.

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 17:41
Is anyone else sometimes not being able to connect to this site? I am but it may be due to FM09 in the background

jod123
13-11-2008, 17:43
Is anyone else sometimes not being able to connect to this site? I am but it may be due to FM09 in the background

No it has been like that for the last few days. Sometimes I get an error of not being able to connect and other times it is just so slow.

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 17:44
No it has been like that for the last few days. Sometimes I get an error of not being able to connect and other times it is just so slow.
It is slightly annoying me but atleast it's not due to FM being running, didn't really expect it to be though

Cheers for the help mate

pelicanstuff
13-11-2008, 17:47
I'm having that quite a bit as well, maybe it's just high server load from all the extra people on the forums.

Neji
13-11-2008, 17:48
I'm having that quite a bit as well, maybe it's just high server load from all the extra people on the forums.

Happening alot to me too, I just put it down to the same reason. Roll on tomorrow! :eek:

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 18:01
So, Neji, having fun with your new tools?

Dingus
13-11-2008, 18:27

So who wants it? ;)

me!!
<-- i've been here longest!!

unless it involves work, then i'm not interested. :D

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 18:28
michaeltmurrayuk also a moderator for those who haven't noticed. Congratulations to him.

jod123
13-11-2008, 18:29
michaeltmurrayuk also a moderator for those who haven't noticed. Congratulations to him.

Yeah and radestock. They are both for the skinning hideout.

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:29
Me, I want it :eek: But I have no chance

Neji
13-11-2008, 18:31
So, Neji, having fun with your new tools?

It's ok for now. Tomorrow should be .. fun :)

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:34
I bet you have had alot of pleasure from that lock button

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 18:34
It's ok for now. Tomorrow should be .. fun :)

I'm going to start lots of threads when authentication won't work and I can't get the patch to download. :p

Glenn Wakeford
13-11-2008, 18:35
I wonder how many threads we'll get asking when/where the patch from 00:00 before we say anything. I'm going to guess at 43*.

*random figure pulled out of somewhere dark and smelly

Glyn
13-11-2008, 18:40
I wonder how many threads we'll get asking when/where the patch from 00:00 before we say anything. I'm going to guess at 43*.

My, you are new to this, aren't you? ;):D

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:42

I hope by dark and smelly you mean a bin :confused: ;)

I agree, it will be a nightmare

Glenn Wakeford
13-11-2008, 18:42
No, but this nickname is. ;)

Confused Clarity
13-11-2008, 18:43
Should really add at least 1 zero to that figure tbh.

Glenn Wakeford
13-11-2008, 18:48
You mean 043? ;)

Neji
13-11-2008, 18:51
I'm going to start lots of threads when authentication won't work and I can't get the patch to download. :p

Hmmm, I should probably just ban you now then :eek:

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:51
You mean 043? ;)
No you sarcastic git ;) more like a zero to the end, it depends on when you release the information though

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:52
Why oh why was Neji let loose with ban button :(

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 18:52
Hmmm, I should probably just ban you now then :eek:

I'm sure you would make a lot of people very happy.

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 18:53
Why oh why was Neji let loose with ban button :(

Here's why (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=29553) ;)

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 18:57
:D I suppose he might just deserve it ;)

Does age influence on whether you gain modship?

arsenal_2111
13-11-2008, 18:58

So who wants it? ;)

I'll be mod:D

Out of interest, would you not make someone mod because of their age?

Because I'm only 14, yet I've seen some people in the 40's who can barely string a sentence together!

EDIT: Beaten to it by Peter;)

EDIT again: Also, can we be told who turned it down?

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 19:01
I'll be mod:D

Out of interest, would you not make someone mod because of their age?

Because I'm only 14, yet I've seen some people in the 40's who can barely string a sentence together!

EDIT: Beaten to it by Peter;)

EDIT again: Also, can we be told who turned it down?
I am only thirteen but I have better grammar and sentence structure than most users here. Also, I am always the first to answer a question, well I am normally ;).

Well, it'll be a while before I get a chance anyway, not sure I will win any votes :D

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 19:03
Maybe modesty is a virtue...?

Edit:
With regards to age, I don't think age is an issue, as long as the other criteria are there, i.e. good posting style, good knowledge, and ability to post on the boards a lot. However, perhaps age influences those voting in the ballot, conciously or subconciously. I know I tend to preconsiously judge the younger users, which is part of the reason I don't like to reveal my age here.

jod123
13-11-2008, 19:03
I don't think age should matter to be honest but obviously don't know. Like when they were talking about Wayne Rooney playing for England when he first became known. If you are good enough you are old enough. :D

But modesty is not bad thing to have as canvey just said above. ;)

pelicanstuff
13-11-2008, 19:06

I'm disappointed that good looks aren't part of the criteria. How can this forum hold its head up high with the possibility of ugly mods? Good thing people generally don't have avatars.

CSF90
13-11-2008, 19:16

So who wants it? ;)

I will happily take that responsibility, assuming you're being serious :p

Also, good call on making Neji a mod - he's one of the most helpful people on here.
I reckon Ackter was probably the 3rd person.

Also, I'd have to change my user name. I hate it :(

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 19:18
I will happily take that responsibility, assuming you're being serious :p

Also, good call on making Neji a mod - he's one of the most helpful people on here.
I bet Ackter was the 3rd person :D

Ackter's great, but he's a grumpy so-and-so! :D

Personally, I think Amaroq would be a good choice. But he's not around enough.

canvey!!
13-11-2008, 19:19
I bet Ackter was the 3rd person :D

FrazT more likely IMO.

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 19:20
Im around all the time but need more posts before I am even considered to be considered

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 19:23
Nomis07, anyone?

jod123
13-11-2008, 19:29
I think a third mod could be any of a number of people. Nomis07 is certainly one possibility I would think.

Mike7077
13-11-2008, 19:31
I probably shoot myself in the foot with my random silly moments. Shame, because, if I'm honest, I wouldn't mind doing some modding.

CSF90
13-11-2008, 19:33
Ackter's great, but he's a grumpy so-and-so! :D

Personally, I think Amaroq would be a good choice. But he's not around enough.

Yeah, Ackter is good. Has an incredible amount of posts, too.

Amaroq is very knowledgeable - I've read many epic posts about various aspects of the game by him. I'm not sure how often he is/isn't online, but would be a good choice IMO.

Im around all the time but need more posts before I am even considered to be considered

I don't think the number of posts should bear too large a factor. More likely how long you've been registered and how frequently you log in. I read many topics that simply aren't worth replying too, occasionally due to the fact 20 people have normally beaten me to it (this is normally relevant to posts about when the patch is out, why isn't activation working etc). If I feel I have something to offer, I'll post.

jod123
13-11-2008, 19:34
I probably shoot myself in the foot with my random silly moments. Shame, because, if I'm honest, I wouldn't mind doing some modding.

Well, I think you would be good as well. Everyone has their silly moments, don't they? :D

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 19:39
Yeah, Ackter is good. Has an incredible amount of posts, too.

Amaroq is very knowledgeable - I've read many epic posts about various aspects of the game by him. I'm not sure how often he is/isn't online, but would be a good choice IMO.

I don't think the number of posts should bear too large a factor. More likely how long you've been registered and how frequently you log in. I read many topics that simply aren't worth replying too, occasionally due to the fact 20 people have normally beaten me to it (this is normally relevant to posts about when the patch is out, why isn't activation working etc). If I feel I have something to offer, I'll post.
Well I haven't been a member very long but am online alot, and spend alot of my time on these forums ;)

CSF90
13-11-2008, 19:40
Well I haven't been a member very long but am online alot, and spend alot of my time on these forums ;)

Yeah, and you have got an impressive post count in such a relatively short space of time.

Still, we can all dream. I personally think I'd make a great mod :p

*Looks for the ban button*

13-11-2008, 19:40

10^43, more like! This weekend is going to be a baptism of fire and no mistake. Good luck!

CSF90
13-11-2008, 19:43
10^43, more like! This weekend is going to be a baptism of fire and no mistake. Good luck!

You only have to look at the first page of the GQ forums and see all the locked threads already to know it's going to be absolute carnage tomorrow.

I'm willing to have a bet that some idiot will come online asking for a crack or something :D

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 19:44
Yeah, and you have got an impressive post count in such a relatively short space of time.

Still, we can all dream. I personally think I'd make a great mod :p

*Looks for the ban button*
I have been very active recently and if I stay like this I may get my chance in a couple of years
I imagine the report button is the lock button and laugh madly until I realise it isn't

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 19:45
You only have to look at the first page of the GQ forums and see all the locked threads already to know it's going to be absolute carnage tomorrow.

I'm willing to have a bet that some idiot will come online asking for a crack or something :D
It happens every year, don't they see it is the official forums :D

pelicanstuff
13-11-2008, 19:49
I'd hate the job. I might apply to join the in-house testing team next year though, I only live down the road.

Neji
13-11-2008, 20:13
There are alot of users who would make great mods. Armaroq would be a great choice but I don't think he is online enough. Mike, jod, Nomis, Nep would all be good choices and I most likely have missed out some others.

Selleckta
13-11-2008, 21:13
I won't name names, but having observed GD over the last few weeks there are a few users who seem to completely overreact to really quite minor things and post as if their lives literally depended on them making their point.

My stress levels at work are often bad enough without me logging into the forums and reading the endless ranting of some of the fools. It's a bit like reading the comment sections on the Daily Mail website...strangely addictive though! :D

I would love to see some people simply banned outright, with no reason given, but I suppose that really isn't fair! (I'm not putting myself forward as a guinea pig, btw)

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 21:18
There are alot of users who would make great mods. Armaroq would be a great choice but I don't think he is online enough. Mike, jod, Nomis, Nep would all be good choices and I most likely have missed out some others.
I think you missed me, :D jokes ;)

Ackter
13-11-2008, 21:24
I'd never be offered a modship - I'm too combustible :)

peter-evo
13-11-2008, 21:26
:D :D, it'll take me a good few years, 43,661 posts, now that is what I call alot

Ozzy38
13-11-2008, 22:02
You could offer me a mod position, but I will then overthrow the admins and rule over with an iron fist. Anyone leaving the forum will be on an international hitlist and all traitors will be e-hung.

And the West won't give a dam! Bwahaha!

Herbie
13-11-2008, 22:18
Newbie here - only been a member for '09 news and not before primarily due to the poor quality of posting on here - it's all argumentative, rather immature and alarmly vicious especially against newbies and those with even constructive criticism.

The forum needs a large number of mods which isn't going to happen overnight as it does take a lot of effort even on relatively small forums let alone one this big.

Instead I would suggest a tiered approach to membership - join up and you're allowed on GD until you are approved to go onto the next tier and so forth.

There doesn't appear to much community spirit so vetting people to get rid of the trouble makers, rule breakers and down right plonkers thus enabling a proper group to appear - this could perhaps be the final tier - a final invite to a separate forum for VIPs who have shown commitment and quality for a long period.

Otherwise isn't it possible to delete threads and topics rather than just locking them?

chopper99
13-11-2008, 22:37

You missed me you bugger, although I haven't been around GQ as much lately and obviously have far too high an opinion of myself :)

13-11-2008, 22:42
To be fair, I think I have the credentials to be the greatest moderator of all. Not only am I intelligent, i'm incredibly modest.

My wisdom of the Football Manager Universe is surpassed only by the SI team themselves. Agreeably, there are many people here who have great knowledge of the game, yet only a handful share true wisdom.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing that tomatoes don't go into a fruit salad.

I'm a leader in all senses of the world. I'm the benchmark of how an ultimate SI Community member should conduct themselves.

Can anyone give me ONE good reason why I should not be a moderator? (Apart from my occasional immature posts, my several infractions and warnings, the fact I havn't posted here for long, nor have a high post count, and the fact that i'm not on the forums enough time during the week).

Ozzy38
13-11-2008, 23:33
Instead I would suggest a tiered approach to membership - join up and you're allowed on GD until you are approved to go onto the next tier and so forth.

In what manner? To restrict people going onto other forums? I do not see the purpose of that.

There doesn't appear to much community spirit

This happens in every major game forum during release date, the community is invaded by thousands of new people or idiots. Then it dies down until another major announcement or patch.

Ched
14-11-2008, 00:42
Well done SI et al for appointing a couple of useful mods :D

Right, that said, i'm going back into hiding until the usual post-release lunacy has ended.

Toodles!

Michael F
14-11-2008, 01:46

You recieved enough grief when you were a tester for SI Ackter :D

Well done to the new mods, fully deserved.

Mr. Pot Noodle
14-11-2008, 01:54
Have been around here on and off over the years, mostly reading topics it's nice to still see some names I recognize :)

chopper99
14-11-2008, 09:29
Right people, brace yourselves for a day of crazyness.

Celtic_1967
14-11-2008, 10:45
I want to add a well done to GillsMan & Neji, excellent choices. Good luck guys :)

Nomis07
15-11-2008, 12:38
Allo folks, just back and noticed Neji and GillsMan have been made Mods, excellent choices. It's a shame endology was overlooked though.

So anything mad happened while I was away? I see GQ is back to it's brilliant best :D

peter-evo
15-11-2008, 12:42
Allo folks, just back and noticed Neji and GillsMan have been made Mods, excellent choices. It's a shame endology was overlooked though.

So anything mad happened while I was away? I see GQ is back to it's brilliant best :D
It was hectic, if you could get onto these forums the board was full of "Im pirating" "SI are a disgrace" and "I did it, I did it, oh wait I can't get back on it" :p

GillsMan
15-11-2008, 12:45
I'm tired. :( Was up til late last night trying to sort things out and was moderately delighted when my Internet connection died and I was too tired/stupid to equate it with the firewall I'd just reinstalled. :(

Poyplemonkeys
15-11-2008, 12:49
Luckily you can just spend a few hours banning the endless people that said they were cracking the game now.

chopper99
15-11-2008, 13:01
Yeah, it's been crazy since yesterday. Unfortunately many people had good reason to complain. This whole authentication and Steam issue has been a bit of a shambles really.

I tried for hours to get the game up and running last night but to no avail. Luckily when I tried it today it worked fine, and I have to say that it's looking very very good.

It seems the forum has calmed down a lot today as most people have now managed to install and authenticate the game.

Neji
15-11-2008, 13:08
It was crazy but I think it was expected, especially with the activation issues. I did however, notice alot of very helpful people around. Not obvious, behind all the swearing and pirating (!) posts but still.

Nomis07
15-11-2008, 13:27
Nice to see some mentalists suggesting me as a possible mod, i'd love to do it, but I think i've been a bit too angry on the forums recently (hopefully my holiday will have got rid of all that work stress). In saying that, I don't envy the task Neji and GillsMan have ahead of them, given chopper and Neji's comments.

I assume there's something wrong with the forums atm as i've noticed a lot of posts getting duplicated and every so often it won't let me scroll past a certain point, even though there are more posts to read :confused:

chopper99
15-11-2008, 13:33
I think it's just down to the sheer volume of people that have been on the forums these last couple of days Nomis.

Last night it took about a minute and a half to open up a thread or post anything, it was madness!!

jod123
15-11-2008, 16:36
I think it's just down to the sheer volume of people that have been on the forums these last couple of days Nomis.

Last night it took about a minute and a half to open up a thread or post anything, it was madness!!

Yeah, another thing is I had a bucket load of pm's and started opening them, fell asleep for a while, woke up and they were still loading. :rolleyes:

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 17:20
I love Skorp's new location :D I think it's a bad idea though, given the maturity of a lot of people on these forums it will probably lead an increased amount of PMs.

I can't get over the amount of idiots there are in this world, it's bad enough that they commit piracy, but to then come on an official forum and talk about the problems they have experienced with their pirate copy is insane.

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 17:25
I love Skorp's new location :D I think it's a bad idea though, given the maturity of a lot of people on these forums it will probably lead an increased amount of PMs.

I can't get over the amount of idiots there are in this world, it's bad enough that they commit piracy, but to then come on an official forum and talk about the problems they have experienced with their pirate copy is insane.
I know, especially posting it on theoffical forums, it is mental. Then they stonewall deny it even though it is known that not being able to holiday is a setback from piracy.

Glenn Wakeford
17-11-2008, 17:27

I have not noticed any difference in the number since putting that there ;)

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 17:32
I have not noticed any difference in the number since putting that there ;)
Admittedly, when I first saw it I was tempted but remembered I have a mature reputation on these forums and managed to restrain myself ;)

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 17:35
Haha, peter-evo i'm glad you said that. I was tempted too :p But I thought i'd play it cool and act mature :cool:

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 17:40
Haha, peter-evo i'm glad you said that. I was tempted too :p But I thought i'd play it cool and act mature :cool:
:D, I think he actually wants PM's and it, I don't know, might make him feel important.

Also, I thought you would also have been one of the mods when they got some more.

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 17:43
I think so too, he's collecting PMs.

Thank you kindly Mr Evo. I'd love to be a mod it would give me something to do at work, but I think my behaviour in recent weeks has put them off a bit, a lot of one liners thinking i'm a smartarse e.g. "she's a chinocchio and the only thing she has going for her (looks wise) is that her accent is slightly more irritating than her face." (On Helen Chamberlain) :rolleyes:

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 17:50
I think so too, he's collecting PMs.

Thank you kindly Mr Evo. I'd love to be a mod it would give me something to do at work, but I think my behaviour in recent weeks has put them off a bit, a lot of one liners thinking i'm a smartarse e.g. "she's a chinocchio and the only thing she has going for her (looks wise) is that her accent is slightly more irritating than her face." (On Helen Chamberlain) :rolleyes:
:D Ha Ha, I wouldn't mind being a mod but will always get turned down due to the fact that I am one of the youngest here, and I haven't been here that long

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 17:52
I've only been here a month longer than you. I don't think age or length of service would come into it, as long as you knew enough about the game and dealt with queries/members appropriately it would be grand :thup:

Glyn
17-11-2008, 17:52
We always need someone to make the tea. :D

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 17:54
I'll take the teaboy job :thup: (Then poison you all one by one and take over as a SUPA MOD)

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 17:54
We always need someone to make the tea. :D
:D I suppose,

Nomis: People will be less likely to pick me as I am only 13 and it is done by a voting process so people will be more likely to select someone that is older and more reliable than a wee lad ;)

One day, you never know

Glyn
17-11-2008, 17:56
Actually, age isn't that important, maturity is.

But then again I would say that, being 44...

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 17:59
Actually, age isn't that important, maturity is.

But then again I would say that, being 44...
Something my old man would say as he is 44. Your location isn't the most mature ;)

I am quite mature really, one of them kids that wouldn't lob an egg at someones house and wouldn't troll forums ;). Not mature in my football though, I am uncontrollable in football, like Rooney without his talent and obvious looks

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 17:59
I never knew there was a voting process, who gets to vote? I thought SI just picked whoever they were impressed with.

As Glyn says, age has nothing to do with it, there are many members on these forums who act like they are about 8 despite being in their 30's.

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 18:01
I never knew there was a voting process, who gets to vote? I thought SI just picked whoever they were impressed with.

As Glyn says, age has nothing to do with it, there are many members on these forums who act like they are about 8 despite being in their 30's.
If I recall correctly, mods vote over at there forum

Glyn
17-11-2008, 18:04
Your location isn't the most mature ;)

But true. At least it was a couple of years ago, and it could start again.

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 18:06
Oh, so it is serious, sorry, what happened.

Glyn
17-11-2008, 18:23
Oh, so it is serious, sorry, what happened.

My white bloods cells (ie the immune system) suddenly went 'anti-nuclear positive', which means that it stopped recognising my DNA as part of me, and started attacking it believing it to be a foreign body. As the white bloods cells are made in the liver, the first DNA of mine it came across was the liver itself, hence the 'from'.

It did this for six months than stopped just as suddenly. We never found out why it started or why it stopped, so it could start again just as easily. Ever since then I've had problems with my liver, the most serious and long-lasting being a high level of ferritin in the blood, which leads to a form of anaemia caused by - would you believe - too much iron in the blood (but in the wrong part of the blood to be effective, I'm led to believe). Ferritin is a protein that indicate the presence of iron. And it's ironic that I don't like foods with high iron content either (ie liver, broccoli, lettuce etc), so my guess is that the liver isn't disposing/recycling the iron properly.

VonBlade
17-11-2008, 18:30
Oooh. Now that's a bad pun. I was swept back in time to Round the Horne then :)

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 18:33
That is very strange, well good luck with that... strange how it just started and then just stopped. Makes you think something must have started it off and then stopped it again.

Fingers crossed for you

Glyn
17-11-2008, 18:37
Oooh. Now that's a bad pun. I was swept back in time to Round the Horne then :)

J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock, at your service. :D

Mike7077
17-11-2008, 18:44
I must have missed the announcement that this was now our off-topic drivel thread. :p

GillsMan
17-11-2008, 18:50
I must have missed the announcement that this was now our off-topic drivel thread. :p

Shhhhh...a mod will close it if you say that...oh. :(

Kriss
17-11-2008, 18:55
Even mods need somewhere to drivel:D

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 18:56
Well technically it has been about the forums, Glyn's location and mods, haha, not so much off-topic but some is drivel

Glyn
17-11-2008, 19:12
Any refuge from the madness outside is welcome. :D

peter-evo
17-11-2008, 19:15
:D :D, it's awful out there

VonBlade
17-11-2008, 21:07
J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock, at your service. :D

I've been having the voices again. They told me, "Go forth Gruntfuttock my child".

I've got every single episode and can quote it almost more than I can quote Python. Yes, I am a geek\nerd with everything that it entails, apart from the use of Linux.

So I was after a decent football manager game and someone sent me to a shop in Chelsea. Bona Simulations. I popped in to see what they had on offer...

Glyn
17-11-2008, 21:11
I've got every single episode and can quote it almost more than I can quote Python. Yes, I am a geek\nerd with everything that it entails, apart from the use of Linux.

I've got them all as well, but I have to say I found The Burkiss Way to have been the funniest thing on radio.

jptykes
17-11-2008, 21:19
My white bloods cells (ie the immune system) suddenly went 'anti-nuclear positive', which means that it stopped recognising my DNA as part of me, and started attacking it believing it to be a foreign body. As the white bloods cells are made in the liver, the first DNA of mine it came across was the liver itself, hence the 'from'.

It did this for six months than stopped just as suddenly. We never found out why it started or why it stopped, so it could start again just as easily. Ever since then I've had problems with my liver, the most serious and long-lasting being a high level of ferritin in the blood, which leads to a form of anaemia caused by - would you believe - too much iron in the blood (but in the wrong part of the blood to be effective, I'm led to believe). Ferritin is a protein that indicate the presence of iron. And it's ironic that I don't like foods with high iron content either (ie liver, broccoli, lettuce etc), so my guess is that the liver isn't disposing/recycling the iron properly.

Happened to my Grandad too. Small world.

TheOriginalJez
17-11-2008, 21:19
Any refuge from the madness outside is welcome. :D

*dives in, just missing an incoming flamer* Anyone read Dante's Divine Comedy? When he wrote the Inferno he missed out the 10th circle of hell... these forums after release day lol I do not envy mods one bit

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 22:16
I envy the mods, I know for a fact that GillsMan got two power showers out of SI when he signed up to a mod, one for him and one for his brother in law.

PS: How spooky that I am reading Dante's Divine Comedy at the moment, ooooooooo.

Mike7077
17-11-2008, 22:17
I smell Alan Partridge quotes.

Nomis07
17-11-2008, 22:21
Indeed you do, it felt appropriate as we're watching it atm. He's just finished his Chris Rea vegetarian rant.

So GillsMan/Neji et al, is this the OTF for GD?

Amaroq
18-11-2008, 00:42
Shh! Don't make them close it!

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 10:21
Sorry everyone, but I thought the issue of freedom of topics worth debating. I had my debut thread closed and it's somewhat amusing IMO. Still five more hours till activation, maybe.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=66347

A PM sent to Gillsman:

"Sorry I didn't notice topics must be about FM.

I could argue that it was. Like giggler I enjoy starting in the lower divisions. I merely wanted to welcome him to the forum and hopefully start a conversation on that topic.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=66317

I think it is an attitude that is anti - community and therefore detrimental to the game in the end. Nevertheless, I apologize again.

The irony is that I was about to delete my worthless thread that was closed when I discovered it was closed!! :)

It occurred to me to post "that I was considering deleting it, but decided to accept the shame of it". :D"

Sorry folks. In the forums of other games thread topics are a bit freeeeeer. Sorry to take up thread space. The ironic irony is now I'll have made a thread debut with two closures.

5.0 :thdn:

I'll substitute off and relegate myself to lurking in the shadows reading the wisdom of others. So long too Giggler. I'll miss you most of all ... :(

note: Links added to PM

tottenham2k7
18-11-2008, 10:23
Mate, why?
Just why keep doing it haha
save yourself some respect now and just delete this thread!

GavinZac
18-11-2008, 10:25
I think Oaklahoma does something to people

Mike7077
18-11-2008, 10:25
Or you could stick around and talk about FM. It's what we're all here for.

tottenham2k7
18-11-2008, 10:27
Exactly what Mike said, theirs no need to be rash and say your goodbyes :)
just talk FM not re-kindle your night of passion with gigglers thread!
Even he didnt moan about the closure!

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 10:29
Seriously, I don't get what the problem is? We're not limiting threads or anything. Giggler's DUPLICATE thread was shut. Why have two threads with the SAME opening post. Giggler himself then asked for the duplicate to be closed ffs! :D

Then I closed the second one because it was about the decision to close another thread. By rights, I should close this one too, but I'll probably merge it into the These Forums thread as it's where it belongs in all honesty. :thup:

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 10:29
Exactly what Mike said, theirs no need to be rash and say your goodbyes :)
just talk FM not re-kindle your night of passion with gigglers thread!
Even he didnt moan about the closure!

Agreed. My issue is with freedom of topic. But I'll abide by the rules in the future. :thup:

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 10:30
Seriously, I don't get what the problem is? We're not limiting threads or anything. Giggler's DUPLICATE thread was shut. Why have two threads with the SAME opening post. Giggler himself then asked for the duplicate to be closed ffs! :D

Then I closed the second one because it was about the decision to close another thread. By rights, I should close this one too, but I'll probably merge it into the These Forums thread as it's where it belongs in all honesty. :thup:

Yes, that's likely the best place for it. Sorry again. I thought I had the freedom to welcome giggler to the community with a thread. The whole closure thing was half/joking. :)

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 10:32
Agreed. My issue is with freedom of topic. But I'll abide by the rules in the future. :thup:

Have I missed something here? Giggler's topic is still open. Look, it's not far away from this one on the forum front page. Are you really annoyed that we closed a duplicate thread? Not sure how that constitutes limiting freedom of topic tbh, because the same topic is still alive and well, albeit in it's original thread.

Atredes71
18-11-2008, 10:32
I think Oaklahoma does something to people

... :confused:

GillsMan
18-11-2008, 10:33
Merged into These Forums, so this debate can continue. For what it's worth anyway, I honestly can't see the issue. :confused: