Question For Mark V.

Mark,

I first want to apologize for posting in here because my question applies to the PC game and not the handheld game and the reason im posting in here is because I cant seem to get a clear answer in the PC forum probably because im not explaining it right and you have always provided me with clear answers in the past.... it is regarding the database size.

What does the database size refer to? is it just referring to players that are available for transfers?? I mean right now im playing one nation (england), using all 6 of the main england leagues using a small database of 10,000 players total (im guessing there is about 5,000 players alone in those England leagues, not including the lower divisions below blue square south and north). Iincluding those other leagues below Blue square north and south there are probably well over 10,000 players. I only loaded 1 country upon start of the game that being ENGLAND... how can I be seeing all of these teams play games with the players running around playing when I "attend" them if there is only 10,000 players in the database?? I just watched "attended" a game with 2 teams below the north and south leagues in a league cup game.

I was told that many players will not be in the game (mostly from reserve teams and smaller countries) using a small database but while im playing the england (im using maidenhead) what I do often is on a day when my team is not playing I view other matches from other leagues and tournaments and just watch them... sometimes I "attend" reserves or under 21 leagues and other country games and cups... if many players are missing how can these games unfold in front of my eyes with these very small teams in other countries? from my point of view in a way ALL players are in the game from ALL countries at any given time but the database is referring to only players that you can transfer to your team or be available out there somewhere to try to acquire them... am I correct on this???

I was just watching game in the OCE nations cup... now those are VERY small countries and teams... if im using a small database how are those teams playing? this is what im confused about.. are the players actually there or not? now when the game was over I clicked on the team for example Cook Islands and noticed that only a few players showed up with stats all the others were greyed out.. does this mean the players that had stats are the ones that are in the database and all the greyed out ones are not???

Im not concerned at all about transfering players between teams at all thats NOT how I play the game.. I just mainly like to "attend" games and see if the results and compare to real life and am curious to play future seasons to see which teams will get better and which ones will get worse... so if thats the case the database size should nott matter to me if its just referring to "transferable" players, correct? As long as "ALL" the newgen and regen players that will come into the game later on when other players retire thats all I care about as well as not having any players "missing". As long as I can "attend" a game down the road in the year 2025 and all the teams and players can be viewed by "attending" games is all I care about but im concerned about that a little because im using a small database instead of a huge one

Sorry for the long email

Tom

• SI Staff

Quite all right not a problem ....

Ok basically 'database size' refers to 'real-players' loaded within the game worlds database - these are the ones which you can buy and which develop over time, building up histories etc.

There are other players in the game which we tend to call 'virtual' players - they appear 'grey' in squad lists and when you view them you'll find that they may have restricted options available for them because they aren't 'real' players and are there to ensure that the game simulates sensibly.

Simply put imagine the circumstances you've a 10,000 player database which means most players are in England and the majority of the rest are at larger teams or International players, HOWEVER a Slovakian side has drawn Arsenal in an early Champions League clash and that team only have 4 real-players in the database.

The game then looks at the nation, club and the division they play in and attempts to create what would be a sensible group of players to fill up the spaces in the squad and allow the match to play out realistically. After the match is completed these 'virtual' players are thn quietly disposed of behind the scenes (we do a few clever computery things to ensure if you revisit that side the same 'virtual' players will show up incidentally but I won't go into that unless you're really interested).

So in essences - yes you have 10k players in the database, however the game will create 'virtual' players when required to balance the worlds simulation properly - these virtual players have no memory overhead and don't get processed normally so don't slow the game down or stretch memory at all.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Archived