Average Attendance Query

I am seeing strange average attendances in my current save game. I'll explain...

I started the save with Offenbach Kickers in the German 3. Liga. I won the league in the first season, 5th in my first season in the 2. Bundesliga and then gained promotion by finishing second in my third season. Since then my average attendances in the Bundesliga really aren't making sense to me.

Average Attendances:

Season 1 - 3. Liga - 7,995 - Finished 1st

Season 2 - 2. Bundesliga - 14,336 - Finished 5th

Season 3 - 2. Bundesliga - 13,026 - Finished 2nd

Season 4 - Bundesliga - 18,241 - Finished 10th

Season 5 - Bundeslga - 16,955 - Finished 11th

Season 6 - Bundesliga - 17,646 - Finished 12th

Season 7 - Bundesliga - 14,479 - Finished 9th

As you can see, my average attendance has dropped by more than 3,000 people in a season.

Can someone explain to me why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance.

really? It seems that whenever he does better than the season before he is getting less crowds? If he had a poor season the year before they would be a bit lower at the beginning but should be getting more mid-end season to raise it, 3000 is a big drop.

No, exactly the opposite. He ended 2nd so his attendances raised. Then he ended 10th and they dropped. The only season this didn't happen was season 5.

yeah the attendances are based on your success or lack of from the season before.

I disagree. They appear to be based on performances in the current season. Promotion/relegation see's a hefty hit also.

I disagree. They appear to be based on performances in the current season. Promotion/relegation see's a hefty hit also.

his figures suggest otherwise, plus its a known fact if you have a successful season then the next one you will see an improved attendance because you have encouraged more fans to come see you. Promotion and relegation will have a huge affect on attendances, in the next season not the current one.

It happens in real life too. Look at sunderland the years they yo-yo'd loads. Were bottom of the champ when Keane took over, low attendances. When they were top of the league towards the end, they were getting crowds of 30000+.

Then, season after in the premiership, started eh, only getting crowds of around 30000. Then a steady decline to relegation and they were only getting 20000 and a bit.

Another one, Sydney FC when the A-League first started. Won the first title, they got crowds of 25000. Seasons of mid table obscurity, 14000. I havent seen a game of theirs in ages as I live in England now, but I believe they're only getting crowds of below 10000.

Basically, fans are going to want to watch a promotion chasing team, and some are unlikely to come and watch a mid table team play every game. So my point being, it is realistic in the fact that some attendances will decline when you compare promotion chasing teams to mid table teams in the league above.

Look no further than your final positions.
^ what he said.

No, sorry. Not buying that for one minute.

First season, I can accept the attendances.

Second season, we've been promoted, do far better than expected and our attendances nearly double. Again, fine.

Season three, despite overacheiving last season, the attendances drop by over 1,000. Strange, but I can accept it.

Season four, promoted last season and our attendances fly up to the 18,000 mark. That's how it should be.

Season five, despite finishing mid-table in our first season up, our average attendances drop for this season. Strange.

Season six, another mid-table finish, attendances are up slightly. Fine.

Season seven, we've established ourselves as a Bundesliga side, yet our attendances plummet to new lows of 14,000-odd. We were runners up in the pokal last season too. Knockout rounds of the Europa League too.

Season eight, won the Pokal last season and our average attendances were still 14,506. Reached the Europa League semi-finals as well.

We also finished 5th last season. That along with a European semi final means I'd expect attendances to rise significantly.

Having gone from getting 18,000-odd through the gates when we first got promoted, to having 14,000-odd through the gate after winning the pokal and reaching a European semi final doesn't add up to me.

Perhaps your team plays dull pedestrian football or you've not signed a big name to excite the fans for a while. Perhaps you've sold a club legend or some such and the fans have become disillusioned by your management. As you say you're now an established mid-table team in Germany. I imagine it's not pleasant to watch. Try signing some Brazilians or sticking 4 up. That might get the attendances going.

Also, if your stadium is old and dilapidated folks ain't going to come and watch games. Good example was Juve at the Delle Alpi. That was a dump and no-one wanted to go to it.

Archived