Useful tip/exploit in contract negotiations

Before entering contract negotiations you should lower your wage budget to the minimum and then enter negotiations. This way agent starting demands would be lower. If you have to make budget adjustment you may do that while negotiating...

Before entering contract negotiations you should lower your wage budget to the minimum and then enter negotiations. This way agent starting demands would be lower. If you have to make budget adjustment you may do that while negotiating...

Very true, but isn't there a limit to the amount of times you can change your budget? Or am I thinking of another game?

For old players who can't play week in week out, you can offer a pay-per-play deal by reducing his wage and compensating with high appearance fee. It's a great way to reduce the wage bill while keeping your club icons and experienced goalkeepers until their retirement.

I'd never even thought about that. I've been always giving myself the biggest wage budget possible to be able to offer bigger contracts then adjusting the budget back at the last minute to make the transfer fee. That also keeps the board happy as they think you are well under wage budget.

That is a great idea. If this stops the extortionate signing on fees then i'm all for it :D

For old players who can't play week in week out, you can offer a pay-per-play deal by reducing his wage and compensating with high appearance fee. It's a great way to reduce the wage bill while keeping your club icons and experienced goalkeepers until their retirement.

Great idea... Tempted to do this with Mario Jardel at Mansfield! :D

I just tried it, but they are still asking for ridiculous money, 4.3 signing/agent fee plus 130k p/wk, no budging

Good tips. Of couse this doesn't make miracles. What bothers me the most is when a player is interested in joining my team but his wages are like 40k p/w when my best player gets 15k p/w...

why would the agent want a lower contract because of your wage budget? How would the agent know how much you had to play with in regards to wages?

It's only really the size of the initial signing on and agent fees requested that change, though you can still negotiate these down to the same levels that they would be willing to accept if you had put all of your money to transfers just before begining the negotiations.

Doesn't really help much in this case IMHO, whereas moving your money to the transfer budget on 10th August if you're playing in Italy works a charm, just before the season bonuses email arrives.

• 2 months later...

I restarted my lower league game from the very first save of a new game, before an in-game click had been made.

Oddly and frustratingly, I struggled to sign the players I had previously signed. Out of curiousity I tried this trick to see if that was perhaps the thing that I was doing differently, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

However I soon realised what I had done differently and what was making the difference between being able to afford a player's wages or not.....

... my response to the season expectations!

If I opted for "Top Half Finish" the board would give me a smaller budget but I could afford the players' wage demands.

However, if I selected "Promotion challenge" the board would give me slightly bigger budget, but the players I approached to sign would ask for much higher wages!

Thus, having the higher wage budget was actually a disadvantage!

Not only is it frustrating that players should know the club's wage budget, but it seems very short-sighted of them to insist on a 25% promotion rise but then accept lower wages to join an unambitious mid-table club than for a promotion chasing side that is more likely to deliver that pay rise!

I'm pushed for a logical explanation why a player would ask for less wages to spend multiple seasons in mid-table mediocrity, than he would ask for at a club that is likely to deliver win bonuses and promotional pay-rises. Even morerso as they are supposedly "fairly ambitious" players.

Will this tip\expliot work for player\coaches? I currently have Jamie Carragher as a player coach but he's just about to retire from playing so I offered a new contract but he wants the same wages for being a coach that he got as a player. Obviously the negotiations have failed because I am not prepaired to pay a 1st team coach the 100k plus a week wages he got as a player.

Will this tip\expliot work for player\coaches? I currently have Jamie Carragher as a player coach but he's just about to retire from playing so I offered a new contract but he wants the same wages for being a coach that he got as a player. Obviously the negotiations have failed because I am not prepaired to pay a 1st team coach the 100k plus a week wages he got as a player.

One way round this I've found is wait till he's announced his retirement from playing and sacked his agent, the he should be more reasonable in negotiating a player/coach contract.

Edit...just reread your post and it seems he's already announced he's retiring, has he sacked his agent and still asking for his full player wages?

Archived