Non-League Finances

Right i'm managing Blyth Spartans in the Conference North and having major problems with financial control.

Just finished my first season and made a 268k loss - seems a huge amount for a team at that level when i've stuck to the wage budget (£200 below a 4.4K per week).

I see the problem as a lack of any significant income:

-Low gates (even though I had the 4th highest average attendance in the league)

-Low prize money

-Next to no T.V money

Is the only way to avoid a massive loss at this level to go on a good cup run?

Iv'e obviously cut my wages (by nealry 1k) for the 2nd season but how could it ever be possible to avoid making a loss after such a huge one in the first season.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I've been (and I know this is cheap, but whatever) sending my reserves and U18's to play tons of friendlies in Australia, earning about 18k pounds per appearance. Last season in the Conference South with Bath City, I turned a profit of 1.2 million pounds. Not sure if you can still pull this off in FM11, but in FM10, it works beautifully. My wage budget for this season in the Conference National went up by 5x, and I got a transfer budget of ~300k pounds.

Looking through the conference north, id say my current wage represents a rough average - Now at 3.8K.

This would only save me £500 a week and therefore only £25k. Tis would still end up in a +200k loss for the season.

Basically if i have roughly the average wage for my league, and im making a huge loss, how can any team in this league possibly survive without ever going into administration?

I've been (and I know this is cheap, but whatever) sending my reserves and U18's to play tons of friendlies in Australia, earning about 18k pounds per appearance. Last season in the Conference South with Bath City, I turned a profit of 1.2 million pounds. Not sure if you can still pull this off in FM11, but in FM10, it works beautifully. My wage budget for this season in the Conference National went up by 5x, and I got a transfer budget of ~300k pounds.

and how much does it cost to send them to Australia?

Aside from it being totally unrealistic.

Looking through the conference north, id say my current wage represents a rough average - Now at 3.8K.

This would only save me £500 a week and therefore only £25k. Tis would still end up in a +200k loss for the season.

Basically if i have roughly the average wage for my league, and im making a huge loss, how can any team in this league possibly survive without ever going into administration?

You also need to look at things like staff wages, bonuses etc as a way to save money. Also try to cut your squad, you don't need a reserve team.

At the end of the day breaking even is hard work for a club at that level.

You also need to look at things like staff wages, bonuses etc as a way to save money. Also try to cut your squad, you don't need a reserve team.

At the end of the day breaking even is hard work for a club at that level.

For my first season my bonuses were very low (about 3k) and staff wages were about 30% of player wages - Iv'e since cut both.

So in real life and in game, if clubs at these levels are all making losses each season why doesnt it always end up with administration?

Could the debt be being covered by external investment which isnt reflected in-game?

For my first season my bonuses were very low (about 3k) and staff wages were about 30% of player wages - Iv'e since cut both.

So in real life and in game, if clubs at these levels are all making losses each season why doesnt it always end up with administration?

Could the debt be being covered by external investment which isnt reflected in-game?

Well in RL a lot of lower leagues clubs survive from donations, fund raising and investment from board members.

These are in FM - Fund Raising/Donations is listed on your income page whilst board members do add money to the club from time to time.

Well in RL a lot of lower leagues clubs survive from donations, fund raising and investment from board members.

These are in FM - Fund Raising/Donations is listed on your income page whilst board members do add money to the club from time to time.

I've actually just looked at the balances of all clubs in the conference north after one season, and all bar only a few, have a bank balance of -100k up to -200k

My question is, how will the 90% all avoid going into administration if loosing six figure sums each season.

And if this situation accurately reflects whats happening in real life, then how do these clubs survive?

Not always possible but getting a parent club can lead to a large cash injection at the start of each season. Seems a bit hit and miss as to getting one though. In my most recent Blyth save I got WBA as a parent club (after promotion to Conf Prem) and they were giving me something in the region of £50k per season.

Another (sometimes good) way of getting some cash, all be it more long term, is to get loads of free signings and sell them all for zero pounds with a 10% sell on clause. Teams seem quite happy to accept this and more often than not you will see a return on these players in a couple of seasons.

Getting lucky on a cup run makes a massive difference but is obviously not something to rely on.

Pre-season friendlies against reasonable teams can bring in good money (you don't have to go to the extent of a tour of Australia). On your fixture screen just do the maths on match fee versus expected earnings minus additional costs.

I've actually just looked at the balances of all clubs in the conference north after one season, and all bar only a few, have a bank balance of -100k up to -200k

My question is, how will the 90% all avoid going into administration if loosing six figure sums each season.

And if this situation accurately reflects whats happening in real life, then how do these clubs survive?

Well as I've explained the owners/board of the club will inject money into the club or they may take out a loan to cover the debt.

Archived