My Documents folder......and processor vs. memory

When I installed FM11, it created a Sports Interactive folder under C:\Users\Public\Documents.

However, for my own anal reasons, I didn't want it there, because FM is a game, and not really a "document" so I didn't want it under the "Documents" library in Windows 7. I created a new library called Games, and moved the folder in there. Nice and organised.

I opened FM, and changed the user data folder link in the Settings and away I went, it all loaded fine and is working perfectly.

However, every time I open FM, it automatically creates a Sports Interactive folder in Documents. In fact, I have two of them now in that folder (something I didn't think Windows would allow!), and both the folder contain an empty db folder. I can't seem to get FM to forget the Documents folder and just load everything from the Games library (C:\Users\xxx\Games). It's pretty annoying - does anyone know how to stop this?

Also, I have a choice between a Sony laptop, and a Dell laptop:

Sony - AMD Athlon Triple Core P840 1.9Ghz, 6 GB RAM.

Dell - Intel Core i5 460M 2.3Ghz, 3 GB RAM.

What's more important, Sony's huge RAM but slower processor (I think it's slower), or Dell's faster processor but less RAM?

Thanks in advance.

RAM is probably more preferable to processing power. I doubt you would actually see too much of a difference depending on the number of leagues you run. The most time consuming aspect of the game is watching the matches, so any benefits to processing time wouldn't be too noticeable.

As for your My Documents issue. I don't think theres a configurable option you could tweak to ensure new folders aren't being generated. Can't you just mark the folder as hidden?

No way you can fix the my documents issue, it's more of the way windows works with games that is at fault than the game, sure, some games shove saves and other stuff into appdata but that's horribly user unfriendly, it's just that way for your convenience.

As for the ram/CPU, it doesn't really matter what you get, the game will max out your CPU(so a fast CPU will process everything faster) and your RAM will never be fully filled up if you have around 4 gigs, that's not counting virtual memory. Unless you run on a supercomputer go for the CPU.

Archived