Whats the Minimum condition of a player you leave on the field?

Had a player down 66% from 100% at half time and took him off, do you do the same? and what condition rating would you consider a straight sub?

I'd definitely do the same with a player who is only at 66%. When playing thoughI normally sub a player who is at or below 75%

The tactic I use is very intensive on players. I generally only bother to sub star players or my central midfielders. I've regularly left my fullbacks on when their condition has been at 40% by half time.

They are paid an awful lot of money to do it, they shouldn't moan about playing...

The tactic I use is very intensive on players. I generally only bother to sub star players or my central midfielders. I've regularly left my fullbacks on when their condition has been at 40% by half time.

They are paid an awful lot of money to do it, they shouldn't moan about playing...

haha, i dont supose your in too many of their fave personal

but not all of them are paid an awful lot of money... :p

If I have any players that are around the 70% mark or less at half time I would definately sub them then cos it's a waste of time them going back out as they won't get any better and you're risking them picking up an injury.

Depending on the match, though, my subs will either be tactical or purely just to bring a player off to rest him. In a big match or an important match if I had a player that was only rating at about the low 6's and he was about 80% and another player was rating in the 7's but was about 70% (at about the 60 minute mark in the match) I'd bring the player in the 6's off as he's playing crap even though the other player is slightly more fatigued. In important matches I don't see the point in subbing a player that is playing well or bossing the match compared to another who is playing rubbish.

In less important matches I would generally sub them around the 75% mark even if they were playing well just to rest them for the next match.

For me it all depends on the match getting played and if the next match is against a bigger team or a smaller team and in what competition.

I think too much focus goes onto condition in regards to injury. As i said, I often have 5-6 players on about 60% and very rarely get injuries. I dont think that letting their condition drop during a game is risking that much of an injury, it can have more of a negative effect on their performance and future performances if they are still tired.

I know it can cause injury but I just feel that subbing a player of cause he is at 75% instead of making a tactical sub isnt really needed, just my humble opinion :)

Don't you get a lot of injuries?

No, hardly any. That could be due to the players themselves. Players like Leighton Baines, Seamus Coleman. They may just have low injury prone ratings.

But I have basically two teams of players, so very often I'll change 8 or 9 players from game to game so they don't start games tired.

Usually 60% or below at half time. It might depend on the player, though: I have a winger who is made of egg shell, and I know that at 66% at half time he could be an injury waiting to happen. On the other hand, with a sturdy centre back, say, the fitness level might shoot right back up. Or it could depend on context: If the player started the match on an already low fitness level, it's trouble and he's coming off. If he started the game fully fit, he's probably just taken a bit of a knock and is more likely to be fine.

Can't give you an exact number as there are other (=far more important) factors to consider:

1. How well he is playing? Having poor rating is worse than being knackered. If playing badly, sub him before he does more damage

2. How knackered he is compared to other players? Bad weather conditions or opponent forcing you to run like a racehorses will tire all the players.

3. What's the score? Do I need to bring in more attacking force, or could I rest the key players and bring in kids or fringe players?

4. How good a player he is? If we're chasing the game, do I sub my star striker just because he's 70? No, of course I don't.

5. ...unless I have a super-sub on the bench. Should also consider what you have to replace him with? Maybe a hopeless reserve who'd have to play out of position? Or maybe a young talent who desperately needs minutes to develop & is craving for every opportunity to show what he's made of?

6. What role he plays and are there more important subs to be made? Maybe I could ease his instructions a bit (say, change full-back from "automatic" to "defend")*

7. When's the next match and how important it is?

*don't know how this works in the game, but in real life there's an easy and instant cure to being knackered: run less. To use full-back as an example: if you're struggling when running between your corner flag and the corner of opponent's box, just stop at halfway line and you'll do fine. And volunteer to stay back even if you'd normally go up to kick corners or something. (actually, I'd like to have a "save your legs" -switch in the game. Now to do it, you'd have to spend minutes to alter set piece-instructions etc)

I don't know. It depends on so many things.

The type of match, the player (backup, youngster, key), the next match, have they taken a knock and are they recovering from it or not, etc...

For example if I'm playing in a league game and there's no midweek game I'll usually let my (aging) star striker captain play the full game because I like to see him score. If I'm comfortably winning (or not, it's not like it's a challenge to win the league after a while) I tend to bring on young players. I also quite often sort my players by games played and give the poor buggers with the least games a run out against weak teams. Especially if there's an important CL game midweek. During such games I tend to not make any subs unless someone is playing who I want fit for the midweek game. He'll then get taken off at around 75% fitness.

In important games I tend to make tactical subs, I prefer to sub guys who are playing nervously or are complacent after half time or are playing badly. Of course if I'm leading comfotably in such games I'll often give my young stars an appearance as well. As I said there's so many variables. It varies game by game.

Oh yes, almost forgot. When I make non tactical subs it's almost always 3 at a time at the 70th minute. Just sort by fitness and pick 3 young guys (or of course those who need to regain match fitness) to replace the tiring ones I want to replace.

If it drops below 60% at any time I'll take them off. I only start the match with players below 90% if I really need to so 60% is about right I think. However if there are a few around the same condition when I go to make subs then I take into account their rating and if I have a good enough sub to replace them effectively. I prefer to keep one sub until around the 80 minute mark as you know the moment you use up all 3 early, you'll get a player taken off injured and bring you down to 10 men.

In games where I'm easily dominating and 3-0 up after around 70 mins I like to give the players a run out who wouldn't normally get a game regardless of condition. Keeps them happy and maintains their match fitness for when I really need them.

I also let any player on 2 goals play the rest of the match to give them a chance for their hat-trick, but that's just down to personal opinion.

I prefer to keep one sub until around the 80 minute mark as you know the moment you use up all 3 early, you'll get a player taken off injured and bring you down to 10 men.

I'd just like to point out that that is simply a myth. It is not true.

As a non-league manager it is normal for me to have loads of players on low condition. I often get to the hour mark and have one substitution left, with 2 players on 50%. So a player or two might finish with 40-something percent. It's no big deal; in fact I'm disappointed not to see low condition players struggling more than they do - more often than not they seem to play as well as a fresh player.

Depends if the game is won already. I would take someone off who is anything under 60% but keep anyone over that on for as long as possible to get the game won. I never play anyone who has a minor injury though, even if there condition is around 60%

Archived