Adaptability and moving abroad...

I know Adaptability dictates how well a player can adapt himself to living in another country, but besides that:

1) does the nationality of a player have an impact on how well/poorly he will adapt to another country, according to their cultural affinity? (ie. a Norwegian player shouldn't struggle to settle down in Sweden or a Brazilian in Portugal, while an Italian will have a difficult time in Russia or an Englishman everywhere :p)

2) does a low Adaptability actually prevent a player from moving abroad?

If 2) is not in the game I think it definitely should in the next version... That way it could finally stop tons of nonsensical AI transfers from taking place...

I think that having the same language definetly helps, as an example i recently signed a young player from Moçamibique(Mozambique in English) and the scout reported that he could have a really hard time adapting to a new country.. but since he came to a portuguese club he didn't had any problems at all.

And when i normally sign south-americans players(they speak spanish so they learn portuguese really fast) they don't have any trouble settling in.. but it's harder for players from Scandinavia or Eastern europe to settle in.

I don't think that point 2 is implemented in game.. at least i never saw it.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. How would low adaptability actually prevent a player from moving abroad?

I mean when a player isn't really "unable" to live in another country because he can't, but because he doesn't want to/feel like... And therefore clubs don't consider him a viable transfer target regardless of his skills/reputation etc.,

Like, a player who has peaked and who's well into his (late) 20s and who never had a stint abroad, or had a disappointing one and promptly came back home with his tail behind his legs isn't really likely to move again...

In a way, I'm looking for Adaptability to be a "quick fix" or a workaround (how SI-ish ;)) to the Reputation problem affecting semi-popular players and local stars.

Ie. a 30yo Colombian guy who's been scoring lots in his domestic league will have decent reputation and ok skills, so AI clubs will go after him despite him moving to Hannover or Valladolid being quite an unlikely event in real life. But in FM reputation and CA play a bigger role than "transfers policy" and "logic" for AI clubs...

So I thought adding the "isn't really interested in moving at this stage of his career" factor to Adaptability could work out sort of well if implemented right, and wouldn't need to massively rework the AI transfer market dynamics (which seem to be the trickiest part of the game, judging by the mess it was in FM2011 11.0/11.1)

Just think of Totti... We can safely assume he has a low Adaptability because he didn't want to leave Rome and Roma, and (loyalty or not) he wouldn't have settled down well elsewhere (not even in Milan or Turin, let alone where they don't understand his broken Italian...). Thus his Adaptability should and would prevent clubs in FM to offer him contracts, even if his loyalty was average or below average.

I hope I made my point clearer...

Also players like Jesús Navas who turn down moves abroad because they fear homesickness, or players who simply want to stay in their comfort zones.

That may be influenced by adaptability, and also maybe ambition. In that case you can't say Navas is a very ambitious man, can you?

That may be influenced by adaptability, and also maybe ambition. In that case you can't say Navas is a very ambitious man, can you?

I don't know Jesús Navas well! But I can why a person may be highly-ambitious but terrible at adapting to a new country or culture.

Archived