Just how much of an influence is your nationality on the game?

I always use my real nationality (ie.Scots). How much easier would it be to sign English players if I said I was also English at the beginning of the game? (or Italian signing Italians, Spanish signing Spanirds etc)

Does it make much difference? Should it make a difference?

If it does make a difference I'm about to become a Scottish-Brazilian!!

I always use my real nationality (ie.Scots). How much easier would it be to sign English players if I said I was also English at the beginning of the game? (or Italian signing Italians, Spanish signing Spanirds etc)

Does it make much difference? Should it make a difference?

If it does make a difference I'm about to become a Scottish-Brazilian!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatboyjohnmulhern:

sifrow isnt that a form of cheating, i always set up what i am in real life, but i am lucky and have a second nationalilty....scottish lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the same as sifrow, I chose Wales and Germany as my second nationality. I am Welsh and I was born in Germany, so I take the Rugby & Athletics approach. (As if I was able to represent a nation) As I was born in one country I can have a form of dual nationality, as my family are the other nationality.

Even though in real life my only language I can speak, is English.

I use this maybe to have some form of scouting knowledge maybe at least wider for that compated to having one nationality. Also helps with language barriers to IMO, in the game. Not cheating is it. icon_wink.gif

I usually pick my real nationalities (Welsh first by birthplace and half of my family, English by the other half of my family) but once I chose Welsh as first and French as second instead and I ended up with a Wrexham side which had about 7 or 8 French players and a few more with French as a second nationality (Tunisians, Ivorians etc) so I'm convinced it does have an impact. Though that also could be because I was also running the French league and had teams like Strasbourg and En Avant Guignamp (the two I had the most transfer action with) offering out players they wanted to get rid of almost every other week.

Language and scouting knowledge tend to be the biggest advantages to being a certain nationality.

I manage in England, but my nationality is Canadian/English, so I start with full knowledge of Canada and of England, and then gradually over time it grows to include Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, just as it does for a "normal" (ie. first nationality) Englishman. As a result of being the only Canadian manager at a major club with world-class youth facilities, my last two "top prospects" have been Canadian, one of whom broke into the national team at the age of 18, the other who is now 17 and on the verge of doing the same. However, I can't help but feel that SI made a mistake not including knowledge of the United States for Canadians-- our only major professional teams play against American competition, or play in the various MLS tiers. It makes sense for us to have some knowledge of the United States, as well.

It also gives me French and English as fluent languages, which I suppose helps if I need to communicate with any French-born players or players from former French colonies in Africa. I haven't noticed anything about national teams, as I've never been asked to manage England or Canada.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brend:

Language and scouting knowledge tend to be the biggest advantages to being a certain nationality.

I manage in England, but my nationality is Canadian/English, so I start with full knowledge of Canada and of England, and then gradually over time it grows to include Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, just as it does for a "normal" (ie. first nationality) Englishman. As a result of being the only Canadian manager at a major club with world-class youth facilities, my last two "top prospects" have been Canadian, one of whom broke into the national team at the age of 18, the other who is now 17 and on the verge of doing the same. However, I can't help but feel that SI made a mistake not including knowledge of the United States for Canadians-- our only major professional teams play against American competition, or play in the various MLS tiers. It makes sense for us to have some knowledge of the United States, as well.

It also gives me French and English as fluent languages, which I suppose helps if I need to communicate with any French-born players or players from former French colonies in Africa. I haven't noticed anything about national teams, as I've never been asked to manage England or Canada. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should actually mention this in the Data issues orum to the Canadian and American researchers.

I have no idea why they included French as an official language for Canada rather than just english. The only people who speak french are in Quebec, and they want to be independant from us.

Such a horrible language it is. Should probably start choosing Scottish as my first nationality and English as my second.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

I have no idea why they included French as an official language for Canada rather than just english. The only people who speak french are in Quebec, and they want to be independant from us.

Such a horrible language it is. Should probably start choosing Scottish as my first nationality and English as my second. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*waits for the backlash from the French users*

icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have no idea why they included French as an official language for Canada rather than just english. The only people who speak french are in Quebec, and they want to be independant from us.

Such a horrible language it is. Should probably start choosing Scottish as my first nationality and English as my second. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ. At the provincial level, New Brunswick is officially bilingual, with a large population of French-speakers. Northern Ontario has a high prevalence of Francophones, as does Manitoba. Canada's two official languages, last I checked, are French and English, and students in Ontario are required to take a minimum of five years' worth of French, which I imagine is the case in other provinces as well. It's not just the Quebecois who speak French.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatboyjohnmulhern:

sifrow isnt that a form of cheating, i always set up what i am in real life, but i am lucky and have a second nationalilty....scottish lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By your logic, isn't the ability to force a manager to resign, and take over his post at the start of the game a form a cheating? They're both equally as unrealistic if you think about it.

If you can force yourself into a club with no real reasoning behind it, then surely you can afford some Spanish lessons in the months leading up to it!

What i found strange is that after moving to an Icelandic club, i had Icelandic as a spoken language within a couple months. Icelandic is a VERY difficult language, and while i do pick up languages fairly naturally in real life, there is no way i would speak fluent Icelandic in a matter of weeks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What i found strange is that after moving to an Icelandic club, i had Icelandic as a spoken language within a couple months. Icelandic is a VERY difficult language, and while i do pick up languages fairly naturally in real life, there is no way i would speak fluent Icelandic in a matter of weeks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you pick up "basic" Icelandic, or did the game decide that you were suddenly fluent in that short period of time? Depending on their adaptability attribute, I've seen some players take months and months before even getting a basic handle on a language, so for a manager to become fluent in such a short period of time would certainly be odd.

I only checked my personal page about two months after i joined the club, and it said Icelandic, no mention of Basic.

I could see if it were some joke language like Italian (which i speak irl...it really was a joke to learn!), but Icelandic! The strange throat sounds alone would take months to master!

Archived