Learning Languages - Manger

I have just noticed that my languages are as follows: English, Portugese, Italian, Spanish

Now, I am English in game so that explains the first one.

I managed Brazil for 4 years which explains Portugese.

I am currently managing in Italy so that explains Italian.

I have never managed in Spain. How have I learnt this language? From players?

I don't think so because I've employed Spanish and French players and staff since the second season. I'm six seasons in with Port Vale and have not learned a single new language. It's probably to do with your stay in Brazil, but I don't understand why you'd learn Spanish.

It's probably not to do with my spell with Brazil, I have to say.

I checked it since I left Brazil and back then I had just English and Portugese.

It has appeared after I started managing in Italy, and after I became fluent in Italian.

I think something to do with Portugese and Italian being similar to Spanish - but I would be interested to know if anyone would be able to identify the trigger here. Certainly the old idea that you only learnt a language when working in that country is incorrect.

Have you managed any Nations during your career? I managed to learn French after a couple of years in charge of Cameroon.

THIS.

In my current (albeit FM10) save I have learned Maltese, Lëtzebuergesch & Spanish just by managing the main or U21 side of a nation.

edit: When opening this topic I expected it to be a language learning lesson btw. The answer is "to eat".

Archived