If you struggle with tactics read this...I promise it will help!

Firstly please don’t read this if you are an FM expert or somebody who DOESN’T struggle with the tactical side of the game. You would just find this condescending and probably quite basic and obvious. The intention is to help the strugglers, who don’t see the obvious, with a simple piece of tactical insight that could open up your mind to broader possibilities and provide the springboard to a greater understanding of the tactical side of the game. In order to do this I have to convince you that I am not an FM expert even though I have read many articles and contributions on this site in trying to understand how to become one! It is now time to give something back.

Background

I have dabbled with many incarnations of FM from 2006 onwards but haven’t had the time to advance a game much beyond a full season. By then the next series is out and so it goes on. I read many publications about tactics and enjoy trying to implement this into the game, however, have never really understood how to make it happen in FM until the penny dropped recently. This has enabled me to finish my first game of FM10 in L1 and run out clear champions with a team that were predicted to struggle. My job security is untouchable, I have been hailed a legend by previous players and one of the best managers around by the fans and have the gratitude of the board….and when you consider I’m actually not that good at FM then I must have done something right.

Where did it all go right?

What you need to appreciate is that I inherited a very good squad of players, Brighton, for the division I was playing in which I suspect meant that I was always going to be in with a chance of a playoff place. However, although throughout the season I was 1st or 2nd I drew far too many games mid season and looked like slipping back. I managed to ensure I pushed through to win the league by finally identifying where my lack of understanding was holding me back.

The Secret – Balanced Formation

I often read articles about making sure you had a balanced formation and sure enough I did. Well I had a couple of full backs, a couple of DC’s, 4 midfielders and 2 attackers with a good spread of attacking/support/defend duties. In my eyes that was balanced enough. Well I read some more in depth articles from contributors on this site which opened my eyes to what more was involved in achieving the right balanced formation. The secret is in having players playing on the correct part of the pitch, be it left or right etc, so that all threats are covered and all opportunities are exploited.

For example I never really bothered too much about which side my DC’s played and tended to put the guy with the better left foot on the left side. I was playing a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond and used the same principal with my central midfield MC’s and also my poacher/target man strike force. Their best foot determined which side I played them on.

So what is the solution? You may be lucky and accidentally get it right but with a bit more analysis you can actually make SURE you get it right and this is the key.

When I looked at my formation I had a full back that was good defensively and the other was a better wing back good at bombing forward. So now I could ensure a better balance by positioning my DC’s on the side that best suited the full back ie The wing back would be up field attacking so it was best to ensure the DC on his side had better anticipation, positioning and maybe pace to cover for him when the attack broke down and the opposition exploited the gap he left. This was less necessary on the other side as the full back was better defensively and was not set to bomb forward as a wing back.

With the 2 central midfielders it was important to ensure the defence minded one was positioned on the same side as the wing back again to cover any gaps when the wing back went forward. The attack minded MC is better on the same side as the defensive full back to ensure an attacking presence in the final third as the full back didn’t advance forward so much.

That leaves the 2 forwards which can be placed on the correct side depending on the type of duty you have given them. Eg If you use a forward with a support duty who will drop in the hole then better to have him on the side of the defensive midfielder rather than the attacking mid as there will be more space for him to drop into.

Outcome

In my Brighton game there were 3 games to go until the end of the season when my eyes were open to this tactical eureka moment. I was clinging on to top spot and was very nervous about the chasing pack as too many draws now would see me fail at the final hurdle. First up was Bristol Rovers at home and although I started to get it all to work I succumbed to a very late equaliser and finished with a 2-2. I really needed to win my last but one game away at MK Dons to give my self the best chance so spent ages analysing how they might play and setting up by balanced team to cover the dangers and exploit the weaknesses. It was a joy to watch as the team played brilliantly in their little groups and we ran out 5-1 winners which secured the title as results went in our favour. It all came together again in the final match with a 3-0 win at home to Yeovil.

Conclusion

This will not make you a world beater over night but if you are prepared to give a little thought to where you actually position your players, so they work together, to ensure a proper balanced formation then you will certainly give yourself a great chance of at least not losing so many games!!

I hope you have enjoyed and learnt from this simple observation that has helped me have a greater understanding of how to succeed in this, at times, frustrating game for those not very good at it!

Finally – For those who have never tasted success – WARNING SEMI SPOILER

As I said I was lucky with my club selection at the start of this game because of the quality and depth of the initial squad so here is a brief idea of what to do if you want to replicate my success.

Start a new game of FM10 and choose Brighton in L1

Acquire a decent Right sided full/wing back as this is a weak area ( Miguel Comminges £130k )

Sign a 30 goal a season striker who is Championship quality on a free ( Michael Mifsud )

Sign a good Right Winger if going 4-4-2 ( Sean Newton )

Sign a quality AMC if using a diamond formation ( David Noble )

Change tactics mid season when other teams suss you out. Start 4-4-2 change to 4-1-2-1-2

Bring in a couple of Prem loans late in the season to get you over the finishing line

Striker – Anichebe, AMC – Kakuta.

Archived