Simulation or arcade?

Guest El Payaso

Guest El Payaso

I started playing Football Manager in 2006 when I bought FM 07. I simply loved the game because it reminded me of real football, it was challenging, it wasn't easy to get good players into a small club, I haad to make my own tactics and so on. Nowadays I don't like the newer versions because they're so easy that I just would have to start from bottom to get any challenge. Managing big teams like Chelsea or Real Madrid is just easy, all you have to do is press continue and still you succeed. Things that annoy me are:

1. Tactics creator. Every manager IRL has their own style to play their players. Mourinho's Inter was better than Benitez's Inter with the same players. Why? Because Mourinho had his own tactics and styles to manage his team. In FM we have tactics creator which's player instructions are just stupid. I wouldn't give full creativity freedom or closing down to any player. The tactics creator also doesn't notice players' weaknesses at all; you could have a defensive midfielder with bad stamina and there isn't a role for player like this as every DM role has high closing down and so on. Tactics creator has killed the tactical side of Football manager IMO.

2. Training. The players really aren't improving properly. Training seems random nowadays. IRL we've seen players developing rapidly. Gareth Bale has developed quickly in Tottenham and is now a world class player... What's the point of making training scheludes when players actually seem to develope randomly. I don't want my young centre back develop his free kick taking, I'm not training him in that schelude and still he developes only in that aspect. Simply stupid?

3. Transfer windows. First of all there are too many good enough players to play in top level. Teams are buying 10 players in a transfer window and are well blended in few weeks. Look at Man City last season, they had quality but they also had too many changes in the team so they couldn't maximise their own potential. Also players' playing styles should be inqluded into game so that every player couldn't fit into certain league's style of play immediately.

Sorry about my English but just wanted to ask if you're going to bring us back the challenge and realism.

1) You don't have to use the Tactics Creator if you don't like it! Classic tactics are still available.

2) I agree to an extent with this. Training is improved in 2011 but it's still not great. To address your example, though, just because a player is not training Free Kicks explicitly doesn't mean that they won't improve. For example, if a player works on his first touch and technique then you would expect his free-kick taking to improve since he is better at striking the ball.

3) It normally takes several months for my teams to gel when I've signed many players. We must be doing something differently! The style of play aspect is included in the game. If you sign a player from a team that press hard and ask him to stand off his opponent, it would take him longer to adjust to your tactics because he's used to playing differently.

Guest El Payaso

I don't use the tactics creator but it must mean something that tactics creator works in game even though the instructions don't make any sence.

1. Tactics creator. Every manager IRL has their own style to play their players. Mourinho's Inter was better than Benitez's Inter with the same players. Why? Because Mourinho had his own tactics and styles to manage his team. In FM we have tactics creator which's player instructions are just stupid. I wouldn't give full creativity freedom or closing down to any player. The tactics creator also doesn't notice players' weaknesses at all; you could have a defensive midfielder with bad stamina and there isn't a role for player like this as every DM role has high closing down and so on. Tactics creator has killed the tactical side of Football manager IMO.

Well don't give them full creativity then, and some people do so no problem there, not sure what you're talking about in the second part, why would you play a player that cant do the job/role??

as said classic is still available, plus customising tactic creator after

2. Training. The players really aren't improving properly. Training seems random nowadays. IRL we've seen players developing rapidly. Gareth Bale has developed quickly in Tottenham and is now a world class player... What's the point of making training scheludes when players actually seem to develope randomly. I don't want my young centre back develop his free kick taking, I'm not training him in that schelude and still he developes only in that aspect. Simply stupid?

I think the training has been the best it has been in any FM/CM its definitely not random. Theres plenty of threads on this or other forums about training and how to get the best out of it, there was a really good one on fmbase that explained each attribute and each training category and what it improved.

if you combine doing schedules properly with individual focus you can improve players exactly how you want.

If your using the default schedules then ofcourse its not as good, but then if they were awesome schedules wouldnt that go against what you were saying about it being made too easy?

3. Transfer windows. First of all there are too many good enough players to play in top level. Teams are buying 10 players in a transfer window and are well blended in few weeks. Look at Man City last season, they had quality but they also had too many changes in the team so they couldn't maximise their own potential. Also players' playing styles should be inqluded into game so that every player couldn't fit into certain league's style of play immediately.

they are, players regenerating in countries now have some form of "style" or at least this is what i heard mentioned. I personally dont buy small weak players in england as they prob won do as well as in other leagues portugal spain etc

Sorry about my English but just wanted to ask if you're going to bring us back the challenge and realism

english is fine

Archived