Dynamic rivalries?

Also, before i took over Gateshead they had never in their history even played league football, but under me we are now a Championship team. Despite getting 3 promotions in a row I'm only listed as 'favoured personel' yet defender James Curtis is listed as an Icon, a player i let go whilst we were still in the Blue Square Prem.

Surely I should be an icon for getting into the Championship with a wage budget of £35k per week?

I've head this issue mentioned year after year. It's little things like this that spoil the game for me.

I dont think so, and realistically these things take forever to form. Man City were out of the top division for YEARS yet they still had a massive rivalry with man united.

True but that about losing rivalries? I doubt we will ever play Blyth Spartans again!

True but that about losing rivalries? I doubt we will ever play Blyth Spartans again!

Thats what Man United fans said about city for years...

Rivalries wane as the teams dont meet each other, but so long as they do play each other within a lifespan, then they will still be rivals. Some rivals have never even played each other - FC united/ Man united and MK Dons/ AFC wimbledon...

Ok, well back to the original question. Is is possible to get new rivals?

Well you did bring up the disparity in the leagues between your team and your rivals...

To answer your question, pretty certain not.

To further answer you question - can you tell me the last real life 'rival' that was created? They dont tend to add new ones unless over a very very long time.

I think this is a great idea. Sometimes a new rivalry can appear immediately. Leeds and Galatassary for example. All it takes is a dodgy decision or a poor tackle.

An extension to this idea would be dynamic player v team rivalries. I know in the Midlands everyone Albion fan immediately took a dislike to Iwan Roberts and I think the feeling was mutual. Good player though.

I think this is a great idea. Sometimes a new rivalry can appear immediately. Leeds and Galatassary for example. All it takes is a dodgy decision or a poor tackle.

An extension to this idea would be dynamic player v team rivalries. I know in the Midlands everyone Albion fan immediately took a dislike to Iwan Roberts and I think the feeling was mutual. Good player though.

Or Galatasary fans cowardly taking the life of two Leeds United fans.

To further answer you question - can you tell me the last real life 'rival' that was created? They dont tend to add new ones unless over a very very long time.

Cambridge United and Histon?

Not sure if they are rivals in real life but they are fierce rivals in the game and I am sure that wan't the case until they ended up in the same league a few years ago. With this in mind, I am sure that while it is unrealistic that Gateshead fans forget that they have a rivalry with Blyth Spartans, it is also surely possible that they would develop one with Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough et al if they ended up in the same division?

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember one version of FM where Chelsea had Barcelona listed as a rival after the recent meetings between the clubs in the Champions League. They've gone now, which suggests that rivalries in real life can change faster that you'd expect.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember one version of FM where Chelsea had Barcelona listed as a rival after the recent meetings between the clubs in the Champions League. They've gone now, which suggests that rivalries in real life can change faster that you'd expect.

That just suggests to me that the Chelsea watcher got carried away that year.

There was definitely a rivarly there for a while though, even if it was hyped up a bit by the media.

It would be interesting to load up an old version of CM/FM and see how the rivalries have changed over time, I bet there have been a few additions even in the last few years. As has been mentioned already, significant incidents (like Leeds/Galatasaray) have created brand new rivalries.

Surely those are simply title rivals which already appear to be in the game. As arsenal I was asked if it would be important to get a win over man city who were also at the top. They aren't a 'rival team' in the traditional sense and that rivalry disappears as soon as they are no longer going for the same title

Surely those are simply title rivals which already appear to be in the game. As arsenal I was asked if it would be important to get a win over man city who were also at the top. They aren't a 'rival team' in the traditional sense and that rivalry disappears as soon as they are no longer going for the same title

There are lots of different types of rivalries in football though, local/historical ones (Pompey/Southampton), competitive ones (Man Utd/Arsenal), ones created by incidents (Leeds/Galatasaray) etc. FM doesn't seem to differentiate between these so they all just appear as various strengths of rivalry without a reason. How long has the Man Utd/Arsenal rivalry been about and was it ever created by anything except the fact they were challenging each other so often for the major honours?

With FM2010 I took a lower league London based club to the top of the PL and challenged at the very top for over 60 years, it was silly that not one other London based club ever considered us a rival, especially as we were so successful.

There are lots of different types of rivalries in football though, local/historical ones (Pompey/Southampton), competitive ones (Man Utd/Arsenal), ones created by incidents (Leeds/Galatasaray) etc. FM doesn't seem to differentiate between these so they all just appear as various strengths of rivalry without a reason. How long has the Man Utd/Arsenal rivalry been about and was it ever created by anything except the fact they were challenging each other so often for the major honours?

With FM2010 I took a lower league London based club to the top of the PL and challenged at the very top for over 60 years, it was silly that not one other London based club ever considered us a rival, especially as we were so successful.

With regards to Arsenal-Man Utd, the rivalry was probably created by challenging for the same title, but incidents such as "Pizzagate", Martin Keown on van Nistelrooy, and personal rivalries, Wenger on Fergie, Vieira on Keane, have turned it into a legitimate rivalry with mutual dislike that runs deeper than say Man Utd-Chelsea.

I for one would love the addition of new rivalries being formed if you play a certain team so many times.

Lets say you took a team from way at the bottom of a football pyramid all the way up to the top and start challenging for major honors on a regular basis, but there is a certain team that is right up there with you either beating you in a cup final a couple of times our challenging you for the title every season. Why not have that teams become rivals so the matches mean more in the game, rather than just regular meetings between the two?

I've been thinking bout this addition for a couple of versions now, and just like the dynamic league rep, I think this would add a bit more realism and variations to different games. AI teams would see the user teams (especially if they were lesser known teams) as a threat to their dominance in either a certain city, league, or even both.

With regards to Arsenal-Man Utd, the rivalry was probably created by challenging for the same title, but incidents such as "Pizzagate", Martin Keown on van Nistelrooy, and personal rivalries, Wenger on Fergie, Vieira on Keane, have turned it into a legitimate rivalry with mutual dislike that runs deeper than say Man Utd-Chelsea.

Definitely, but my point was that it was a rivalry that developed fairly recently, it didn't really exist 20 years ago.

We've spoken before about you're having far too much FM time...

But I take your point - Ive played at most 15 seasons in one game, personally, ive never noticed a lack of new rivalries forming because I wouldnt expect that to happen in that time frame.

I agree with the OP.

I too took Gateshead to the Prem and beyond and it was a bit annoying that all our rivals, fierce or otherwise were down in the BSN/BSP and below.

Obviously we would have considered the Newcastle game biggest by that stage.

I've taken Kingstonian who have rivalries with just Woking (local), AFC Wimbledon (very local as they now own our stadium) and Sutton United (local and competitive) on the game, to the Premier League but spent a few years in the same division as Brentford who are considered a minor local rival IRL. It would be great to have rivalries with them and when in the Premier League Chelsea as a local and competitive rivalry. There is also no reason for the rivalry with Wimbledon as I now own my own huge stadium or Sutton as they are just like what Kingstonian are to Chelsea IRL. I've always thought the game was lacking this in the rivalry section.

Theoretically a good idea but one that requires a great deal of care as not everyone would consider a certain set of situations to be the sign of a rivalry, just because someone knocks you out of the cup a few times (especially someone in the league above), plus you might end up rivals with half the league after too long (which admitedly is the case for a few Italian sides). I agree they can (though admitedly rarely) change in reality, at least when creating a new rivalry (Chelsea with a few people for instance, I imagine Hoffenheim might end up with one or 2 as well) but its harder to judge when a rivalry is either long past or just a short term thing, hence the problem of having too many meaningless ones. Non-geographic ones are probably too much a matter of perception, aside from continually challenging with someone which would be nice to see reflected.

Rivalries wane as the teams dont meet each other, but so long as they do play each other within a lifespan, then they will still be rivals. Some rivals have never even played each other - FC united/ Man united and MK Dons/ AFC wimbledon...

Those are special cases though. AFC Wimbledon wouldn't exist if it weren't for a bunch of numpties on the board of MK Dons while FC United wouldn't exist if their fans/founders weren't a bunch of numpties.

Dynamic rivalries (especially in a small club to big club situation) is something that needs to be looked at. I'm playing as AFC Hornchurch and at the moment Romford are our biggest rivals, but as I go up the leagues and get bigger you'd expect it to be Dagenham and then maybe West Ham when I eventually establish myself in the Premiership. Also bitter title races can cause rivalries. I remember a title race between Dagenham and Boston several years ago that caused an intense rivalry between the two.

I've been wondering about this too, and also about how it could work. Again I'm playing lower league football, so most of my rivals are either non-league, or in the BSP this season (which means about 10 rival games next season!). If I get my team promoted a couple of times, we'll practically never be playing our current rivals. You'd think that there could be a couple of things that increase the rivalry between teams:

- Geographic proximity; I could see my Gloucester team developing a rivalry with teams from Bristol, for example, as they're about 50km (or 30 miles) away. Of course this shouldn't just happen, but be a factor influencing the potential for a rivalry to develop. The teams would obviously need to play each other regularly.

- Regularly competing with each other for the league title/promotion or relegation. If you spend several years in a row in direct competition with a specific team, you might be expected to develop a rivalry.

- Animosity between managers built up over time, especially in conjunction with relegation/promotion battles

I'm sure there are more factors that could be taken into account, and obviously this should take a lot of time.

1979. Fans rioted after the FA Cup Final when they lost in the last 5 mins.

Maybe I've got that one wrong then, I always thought it was a relatively recent rivalry (last 20ish years). Just how long has this rivalry been acknowledged for then?

Maybe I've got that one wrong then, I always thought it was a relatively recent rivalry (last 20ish years). Just how long has this rivalry been acknowledged for then?

1979 ;) That was the big one. Then it really ramped up after the 1990 brawl.

1979 ;) That was the big one. Then it really ramped up after the 1990 brawl.

I wasn't even born in 1979 so I'm really going off articles like this, which seems to suggest it started in 1990 or 1987 and that not a lot happened between 1979 and then. Either way, it is a relatively newly formed rivalry, which was the point I was making, even if I was a couple of years out.

In my save with Inter I'm in the 2014/2015 season and the last 3-4 seasons Sampdoria and Palermo are the main rivals to the crown. Juve and Milan languish in the mid table and every 6 months their manager gets sacked(bug?) so its kind of hard to have an intimate rivalry with my main 2 rivals. As Samp and Palermo continue to challenge for the title and perform well in Europe and also sign some of the best players why can't they emerge as a main rival to me in the game?

If Juve and Milan continue to sack their coach every 6 months how are they going to build a rivalry with my team? And at the same time Samp and Palermo have the same coach so they are more stable and have a good foundation to build on.

A example:

2013/2014 season

1st Sampdoria

2nd Fiorentina

3rd Inter(me)

4th Palermo

Milan finished 10th and Juventus finished 13th

And that is just last season(in my save) so I should be able to have a competitive rivalry in the game not just in my imagination.

I agree with everyone on here especially if they take a lower league team to the top, we should have rivalries reflecting our current status in the league.

Archived