How important do you think the same first XI is?

I have a squad of about 20 players, all of similar ability, and therefore like to rotate the squad a bit. But now that I've stopped winning games I'm thinking about trying to stick to a consistent first XI to see if results improve, but with players not averaging +6.90, I want to keep changing the team.

What is your preference towards squad rotation/dropping players/consistent first XI etc?

I have a dislike of bloated squads and strong preference for smaller ones.

I will try to get fringe players games for fitness levels, but unless a player is tired, injured or in shoddy form then i will not rotate. However, it does also depend on opposition. Smaller squads are easier to manage and keep a good morale.

Well I'm exceeding expectations of a bottom half finish, but can't quite make the playoff places. My squad does only have 20 players.

Do you think I should try find my best team (mainly based on their attributes) and stick with them as often as i can and try and ride out their poor form? Or drop them when their form does start to dip?

I like to have 2 players for each position plus about 3 utility players, so that fills my 25 man squad. I have about 6 positions that are set in stone and only make changes to these when fitness is low or if injured etc. The other 5 positions are rotated and based on recent form and fitness. I find this balance keeps a familiarity about the line up and also keeps it fresh.

I like to play the same team if at all possible. To keep people happy though I'll generally have backups for each position who are talented youngsters and capable of filling in, but don't get upset if they don't play every game. I'll usually have a star player or two on the bench though to change a game for me.

I try to do what they do in real life, at least the top teams as in, rotate at early stages of cup competitions ( if the opposition are of a lower standard) when players drop below 90% fitness I try to rest my main players. When players are not doing so well on the pitch I try to encourage them in team talks, sometimes it works sometimes not. This is what makes the game so exciting

I've usually had a very set first 11, plus one backup for each position in case of suspensions, injury, fitness etc. Now I've started a game with a squad that has more good players, and I'm considering doing a bit more rotation.

I'm keeping a squad of 23 players - two for each outfield position, plus three goalkeepers. I have three key players that are usually not rotated. The rest I'm trying to rotate on form: Top 3 ratings and / or anyone with 7.5 or more over the last five games are in. Bottom 3 and averaging below 6.5 are out (if nothing else, this is making me aware of which positions are and aren't working: If players keep getting low ratings in a position, I notice more, and I consider whether the problem is tactical or down to the players). I've also been paying some attention to morale, dropping players on poor or okay morale if I can't cheer them up.

Then, for reserve games, I usually make five players plus one goalie available for reserves. That way, dropped players have a chance to get their ratings and morale back up (this can backfire, though - if they lose a couple of reserve matches, the morale goes right down, and the Dutch leagues apparently have a reserve league from Hell).

I also, of course, rest tired players - anyone below 90% condition.

I'm also thinking about youth developement. The top five players in my U18, considered on potential, work rate and personality, get "hot prospect" status. Two of these go on my bench every match if available, and I try to start them in some cup games and easy matches.

Basically, systems for everything, but still trying to keep it reasonably simple. I'm not sure yet how it will all work out in the long term, we'll see...

I like to play the same team if at all possible. To keep people happy though I'll generally have backups for each position who are talented youngsters and capable of filling in, but don't get upset if they don't play every game. I'll usually have a star player or two on the bench though to change a game for me.
I have about 6 positions that are set in stone and only make changes to these when fitness is low or if injured etc. The other 5 positions are rotated and based on recent form and fitness. I find this balance keeps a familiarity about the line up and also keeps it fresh.

I like these two philosophies, it's just, for me, when you have a squad of players that are all about as good as each other, it's hard to let anyone play below par, and not give someone else a chance

I try to have a squad of similar ability although they may be two or three stars. I usually rotate regularly but I try to keep changes to three max from one match to the next meaning players play either two or three matches out of four.

I like to rotate as much as possible except for center-backs, ideally i will have two good players for every other single position.. it can take longer to gel if you have a new squad but on a long season with a lot of fixtures it pays off to keep a fresh and fit squad, besides i feel like i'm better prepared for bad runs of form on a particular player.

Though it can be detrimental at times if you don't have good enough quality on your "back-ups".. i reckon i drop a few points that i shouldn't because of my excessive rotation.

I virtually have two seperate squads at the moment. My first choice eleven and a second string who play all the easy home games and all cup games bar the big teams. I have changed entire team sheets plenty of times and I've never noticed any adverse effect.

Im challenging at the top each year (Well I should do, I am playing as arsenal..) In the first 2 years I had a big first team squad (30+ players) and I won the league both years, not having played the same team all year (I susspect that I didnt ever play the same first 11, let alone in consecutive games). By the third year the players were getting a big old and I had a clear out trimming my first team down to 22 first team players and 8-15 high potential young players who I brough in as needed. Well I bombed the third year dropping down to 3rd in the league (and I was only 2 points off 5th! I would have been sacked for that). In January of the third year I ended up buying 3 big name players, almost as a panic buy (pastore, 19 year old regen striker and sissko) to bring my squad up to 25 first teamers.

Started the 4th year unbeating in 38 games (including league and cups) and I was first by 5 points at christmas (dropped off a bit afterwards, think that complacency set in and I started drawing away from home). Will probably finish the year 2nd/3rd Man United have pulled away too much to realistically catch them.

But, after all my waffling, in essence I would say that for a big club you simply HAVE to have a big squad, its no good having 1 world class striker and then a few 'alright' ones to get you through the odd game when he is tired (I only play 1 up front) I need to have at least 2 outstanding strikers and rotate them, even if I start to upset one for not playing him enough. Not to mention that Van Persie is getting old now...

So, no, the same first 11 is actually detrimental, not helpful.

i do try to rotate my squad to ensure everyone gets a decent number of games, but i try to avoid too many changes too often.

i'll work out my best 11, then occasionally switch a couple of players for back-up players and keep them there for a few games.

changing players is not a bad thing for your team, but making lots of changes every game will cause problems imo. whenever i have done it i end up losing games.

current squad is 20 but i need to add a few more players

Archived