Urgent Please help an old FM/CM veteran to get into FM2011

Background:

I've been a loyal fan of the FM(previously CM) series for over 10 years. I remember a lot of revultions in the game. On the forums I had a lot of heated debates concerning it's various "revoultions" in the game both on the pro/con side. Mostly we had various discussions about the data (player ratings) in the game and the amazing database which seemed so good and complete yet always with some almost crazy overrated players. :p As I mentioned already back then I worked in football (semi-professionaly at that time) and after that my role has increased. Due to this I still have various time constraints when playing the game and can therefore not play the game as much or often as I would like. This leads me to not purchasing every edition together with the fact that after purchasing a game updating it with patches (in the olden days that meant also inserting the "arse" command :p ) and after my first run in the "game" I will usually spend 48hours in the database editor (delightful tool :D ) polishing out the rough edges. Then the game is so complete/perfect it is almost a shame to switch it (upgrade) :(.

My Latest version was the FM2008 I have played it so many times (but in the back of my head I have cursed myself for not upgrading and discovering the wonders of new editions). I have found my playing style tweaked into 5-6 identical formations with various focus on attack, defense, possesion and pressure. It has been a very good companion in many trains/airplanes when I have a couple of "Internet Free hours" of Pastime to spare.

To those of you who argued 5-6years ago that no one in the industry uses the game let me tell you a lot has changed. Ofcourse you probably won't see Harry Redknapp or Daglish clicking away. But it is the favorite past-time for a lot of national team players I have met, scouts, sport directors, agents and journalist (that are in their late 30's or younger), so its now rather a question of generation rather than it not being accepted in those circles. But I'm sure the SI community is well aware of this by now. I can even tell you that in 2009 I met this academy school director who said that before each new schoolyear kicked off the coaches and him had a seminar/symposium week to go through all the planning during the end of the seminar (on Friday) They would all lock themselves in the Computer Room with FM on multiplayer and play a network game for 48-72hours straight.

My Dilemma.

I was recently given the FM2011 (a belated Christmas Present). It has been on my desk every since the plastic wrapping unremoved. Being the perfecionist I am in the game I have a terrible angst about installing it and being forced to re-invent the wheal on a number of issues. One thing that has always rendered me furious is that all the pre-installed formation/tactics that the AI uses have been always out of access. Instead we have been offered like 10-15 formations but all with very little individual instructions/tweaking. I suspect that it will be similar for 2011 version. So what I would be deeply grateful if I could somehow have som assitance in recreating the in-game areas of my 2008 in my 2011 version. Since I don't want to re-invent the wheel for 6-8months.

My Wishlist:

1. Feedback on what patch to get (preferably an official that doesn't slow the game down too much nor makes it unbeatable)

Some ready made tactics & formations ("super formations"): It should be 4-2-3-1 (also known as Lyon formation since they made it famous) but played during the last 3 years by most teams. My 4-2-3-1 Is probably I mixture between Mourinho's Real style, and Arsenal's style I wish I could say Barcelona (but I seriously doubt the game-engine is complex enough to do justice to Barca's total tiki-taka football).

The key to this formation in Defense is shoring up the Center with the Central Defenders and DMC creating an almost unpenetrable "box of doom". There are 3 AMC either all three Central or one central and three wide (I prefer three central) since I let the achilles heal to this formation be the opposistion full backs when they are deep in their own half. Otherwise there is pretty much pressure (closing down) on all other opposistion defensivley. Attacking wise it relies a lot on the element of surprise (counter attacks) to come forward with the attacker and a myriad of runs and interpostions changes from the Attacking midfielders. short quick passing to create 2-1 situations with the opposistion defense.

So if anyone could post or pm me a link or place where I can find such a tactic I would be grateful.

Training Schedules:

I don't know how complex the training schemes/session are in 2011. I loved 2008 which was much more professional than the old ones Choosing (pig in the middle for 3 hours :p ). I hope 2011 has continued in this vein.

Either way I would need one for getting players:

i)with low fitness back to fitness

ii)Improving Speed of slow players

iii)One Improving Finishing of Attacking players

iv)One focusing on improving Set Pieces.

v) *optional schedule for trainings youngsters 2008 (didn't really have the need for this as they just followed a normal intense schedule)

That I can distrubute to my individual players as I see fit.

4. Can't really think of anything else.

The Scouting and searching for the best parts of the coaches I don't really have need any assistance with as here I think I can manage

myself. Since this is where I like to indulge and rediscovering this is something I love.

Misc

I've read somewhere in the data files of FM2008 that there is a play as chairman option. I have long been an advocate for as a "European style sport director" (ie incharge of transfers and negioations but leaving tactics, training and team management to the head coach/manager). Or at least making the Sport Directors, chairman more involved in the game. They are already there in the data editor with stats and skills and all (just like coaches) but these are made unaccesible in the game. Has this improved anything? Since some of the world's best "talent poachers" are usually youth directors such as Frank Arnesen, Damien Comolli and Pantaleo Corvino (the latter is a Sport Director).

So I guess my question is have the directors become more tangeable than in earlier versions? (since they are a valued commodity of what makes the club good)?

Does something like Chairman mode/ Sport Director mode exsist?

Anyway last but not least I want to thank all the mods in this forum for doing a Great job and apologise if my post might have ended up in the

wrong subgroup of the forum.

:)

Far be it from me to comment, but doesn't asking for all of these super tactics/formations/training schedules sort of take the fun out of the game a little bit. Try out some formations yourself. Have a play with the training schedules. Learn as you play, and tweak things where necessary. OK, so you might not get success straight away - you'll have your fair share of experiments that go wrong. But you'll be safe in the knowledge that when you do eventually find the winning formula, it'll be all your own doing.

I'm not entering into much detail because I believe the fun of FM is to find and improve as you play. But to just give you a small kickstart:

1- I'd say wait until the January patch is released. The current patch (11.2.1) has lots of bugs, as do the previous patches.

2- Browse the Tactics section and take a look at the tactics there. There are some really good tactics but I can't recommend one as I prefer to make my own.

3- I use Raven's schedules and they are quite good.

4- If you don't play since FM08 you'll see that the tactics are a bit different. Now you assign roles to the players and general instructions to the team. If you rather use the old method you can swith the tactics to "classic".

Have fun

Far be it from me to comment, but doesn't asking for all of these super tactics/formations/training schedules sort of take the fun out of the game a little bit. Try out some formations yourself. Have a play with the training schedules. Learn as you play, and tweak things where necessary. OK, so you might not get success straight away - you'll have your fair share of experiments that go wrong. But you'll be safe in the knowledge that when you do eventually find the winning formula, it'll be all your own doing.

Ofcourse I intend to Master the forumlas and formations that Im provided with and customize them. Depending on team and players at my disposal, but I don't feel I have the time to start with a blank slate.

I'm not entering into much detail because I believe the fun of FM is to find and improve as you play. But to just give you a small kickstart:

1- I'd say wait until the January patch is released. The current patch (11.2.1) has lots of bugs, as do the previous patches.

2- Browse the Tactics section and take a look at the tactics there. There are some really good tactics but I can't recommend one as I prefer to make my own.

3- I use Raven's schedules and they are quite good.

4- If you don't play since FM08 you'll see that the tactics are a bit different. Now you assign roles to the players and general instructions to the team. If you rather use the old method you can swith the tactics to "classic".

Have fun

Thanks for the Advice!

I know some people might be bemused at my requests, but inorder for the 2011 to be an upgrade for me in gaming experience I need to get into it pretty straight away, without spending countless hours of cursing and experimenting.

You said I should wait for a new patch

Do you reckon I should try out the game patch free prior to that or will that just make me more frustrated?

I don't think you should wait for the new patch. Just install the game and get going, and see what it's all about. It's really the only way to learn and master it - you can't rely on other people's tactics and knowledge, if you don't have a grasp of the basics. I think that'll actually make you more frustrated in the long run.

Also, I'd recommend reading the free Tactical Theorems e-book, which gives a very good explanation of the various tactics and player roles in the revamped tactics engine that was introduced in FM2010:

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/tactics-ebooks/tactical-theorems-10/

Thanks for the Advice!

I know some people might be bemused at my requests, but inorder for the 2011 to be an upgrade for me in gaming experience I need to get into it pretty straight away, without spending countless hours of cursing and experimenting.

You said I should wait for a new patch

Do you reckon I should try out the game patch free prior to that or will that just make me more frustrated?

Absolutely, you should try the game right away! I'm just saying that the game this year has quite a few bugs, and since you are starting now, I suggest you check out the game now but wait until the new patch to start your big save.

Absolutely, you should try the game right away! I'm just saying that the game this year has quite a few bugs, and since you are starting now, I suggest you check out the game now but wait until the new patch to start your big save.

Thank you for all your help kingjericho can you give the link to the Raven training schedules schemes in the forums

My honest feeling is that you will find the game much more enjoyable if you just use the tactics creator to make your own tactics. It's much more accessible these days and you'll find it less of a struggle as you're not dealing with sliders but with proper 'football talk' instead. I really do think you'd find it much more enjoyable to play the game in this way and you'll find creating tactics quick to master.

These days the game is less about creating tactics that 'work' and more about creating tactics to suit the players at your disposal. The thing I really loved about the introduction of the tactics creator for FM10 was the fact that, more than ever, real football ideas could be put into FM successfully. In other words, in order to be good at this game, you need to employ a dose of common sense and good football ideas.

As a newcomer to the latest incarnations of the game, I would suggest some reading material instead.

My first strong recommendation would be to download this - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/159310-Tactical-Theorems-amp-Frameworks - and then you'll see just how fun creating tactics can be on the new FMs.

Secondly, this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/242575-How-to-Play-FM-A-%28Very%29-Short-Guide-to-Match-Preparation-Strategies-and-Motivation - has some sound advice on playing the game.

Finally, I recommend this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/183599-WoIfsong-s-Teamtalk-Guide-2010 - to get to grips with team talks/motivation, although you'll probably know what you're doing as it hasn't changed much from FM08 really.

@crouchaldinho

Thanks for all your great issue as usual time contratins is a problem. I have a lot of time issues. I am currently exlploring major ravers training thread and am following his thought process in developing the most suitable training schedule.

As for tactics If a lot has been done to revamp things in 2010 (which I don't know about) then maybe I can actually work on creating my own Hybrid Arsenal/Barca/RM(Mourihno) formation since I have a pretty good idea of how I want to play I have just never been able to fully implement it in the old versions....

I really don't see the point in waiting for the new patch. I cannot see many, if any bugs, at all. The game is playable and fun as it is. Obviously the patch will help some things but those who say it's too buggy as it is are quite anal imo.

Well I have thread here on the forum that the transfer market is really set up in disadvantage of the player towards the AI. I am a bit sensitive to that since even in versions such as FM2008 (patched) where people complained it was too easy to sell players I still found it sometimes hard to get ridd of my "undesireables". The solution would usually be to play low-finance-high talent development clubs in leagues with great youth development I.E. Vitoria (Brz), Gremio(Brz), IF Brommapojkarna(Swe), FC Midtjylland (Den).

In this Game I am probably opting towards starting a River Plate save since the classy youth academy has had some troubled years an expectations should be as high as usually...

@crouchaldinho

Thanks for all your great issue as usual time contratins is a problem. I have a lot of time issues. I am currently exlploring major ravers training thread and am following his thought process in developing the most suitable training schedule.

As for tactics If a lot has been done to revamp things in 2010 (which I don't know about) then maybe I can actually work on creating my own Hybrid Arsenal/Barca/RM(Mourihno) formation since I have a pretty good idea of how I want to play I have just never been able to fully implement it in the old versions....

You want the T&T '10 PDF file in the thread I linked above. It's made for FM10 but nothing has changed for FM11 so it's still the best guide out there.

It's basically the bible for FM tactics. Breaks things down, makes things really accessible and, if you read the guide, before you know it you'll be creating loads of great tactics for your teams.

100% recommended. You'll see what I mean when you download it. Plus the appendix is all about how you can create real life tactics in FM, with quite a few real life sides included (e.g. Arsenal, Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, Man Utd etc.)

100% recommended. You'll see what I mean when you download it. Plus the appendix is all about how you can create real life tactics in FM, with quite a few real life sides included (e.g. Arsenal, Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, Man Utd etc.)

Well that line just sold me on it I will download it and get into it before installing the game :)

The tactical theroem guide thing is the same as someone else recommended what is this silly thing about email registration, will I got a lot of spam?

can this be uploaded to rapidshare or megaupload?

Update: I followed the site rules and registred my email got an email and used the direct link which was:

http://www.aweber.com/z/c/?jzbwsry03ai59k7mp6vb2db2tty036mg==249

but it just keeps re-rooting me to this page http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/

Where I can again click on the tactical theroem guide and be asked to register so I'm in a bit of a catch 22 at the moment

Update II

Got a new email with the actual download link dl'ing it :)

• 8 months later...

Archived