scoring problems

I'm no expert, let's just get that established right away. I'm reasonably succesful in my game, but considering the way tactics work basically change with every patch I'm never able to keep up. I think there are many things that can cause a lack of shots on target though.

Do you have a high rate of longshots? If you do I would think your attack aren't able to break down the opposition defence, usually that is down to a lack of speed in attack, giving the opposition room and time to establish their defence. Usually that can be solved by increasing the speed and directness of your play and limiting your squad's longshot instructions. Some teams require that you play "slow" though as they seem unable to cope with a slow paced game, but your backroom staff should inform you about that when necessary. They'll still try longshots if they don't see any options to get the ball into the box though.

If you don't have a high rate of longshots, but a lack of clear cut chances, then your team aren't really getting any good chances and squander shots away out of frustration. My wingers for instance have a tendency to smash the ball towards goal if they can't really see any way of getting the ball in to the strikers, wasting about 10 shots a match on what I can only call frustration. Again that would be down to an inability of breaking down a team's defences. Adding an extra striker, changing the pace of your game and ensuring you have the proper distances between your defence - midfield and attack, ought to increase clear cut chances, as the team works more as a unit instead of a bunch of individuals. Making sure your wingers cross the ball behind the defence instead of into a packed box would also help in that department, usually done by building a tactic based on counter attacking with fast wingers (not really possible for everyone though).

If your strikers are simply missing chances for no reason what so ever (plenty of one on ones) the only thing that has worked for me is to teach the strikers to lob the ball when one on one, or alternatively "round the goalkeeper". I'm having problems here myself though so I can't really help if your strikers are getting chances but just not putting them away.

Edit:

Oh and I almost forgot. Strikers with high composure and finishing will, naturally, finish more chances than strikers with less composure and finishing. So you could try to give them individual training for Composure and/or Finishing.

Archived