Thomas Muller

Just got Thomas Muller on a free transfer, is he any good? He gotta be, otherwise he wouldn't do so good at WC. However, when I look at his profile, his technical attributes are soooo poor!! My youngsters are better. However, his mental and physical attributes are great. What is the best position for him, AM or ST?

so glad this has been brought up his stats are ridiculous it is one of the biggest injustices in FM to date, who ever does most of the German research for bayern and a few other teams in Germany has a real problem with certain players, you got ask every user on this forum if they agree with Muller stats and not one person would say they are all right

from what I saw at the WC his stats don't seem too underrated, maybe a stat increase of 1 hear and there but otherwise fine. At the WC he proved himself as a poacher, someone who was in the right positions to put away relatively easy chances and come up with the odd "magical" moment, for me he didn't show too much technical ability but more of an ability to read the game well, be in right places, keep up with the game and keep calm in tense situations. Also he showed too be quite good physically i.e. keeping up with Ozil in Germany's 3rd against England, and kept going 'til the end. He never went on any 30 yard dribbles or scored wonderful goals from difficult angles, that I remember, or show any outstanding ability to pass the ball.

I slightly agree his technical stats may be a little low, but not by much. Also what some should remember he MAY have been in a bit of good form at the WC, just like Bale at the start of this season, which doesn't justify world-beater stats, then again he may not but I don't watch the Bundesliga so I wouldn't know too much, I'm basing my whole knowledge of him on the WC and FM.

from what I saw at the WC his stats don't seem too underrated, maybe a stat increase of 1 hear and there but otherwise fine. At the WC he proved himself as a poacher, someone who was in the right positions to put away relatively easy chances and come up with the odd "magical" moment, for me he didn't show too much technical ability but more of an ability to read the game well, be in right places, keep up with the game and keep calm in tense situations. Also he showed too be quite good physically i.e. keeping up with Ozil in Germany's 3rd against England, and kept going 'til the end. He never went on any 30 yard dribbles or scored wonderful goals from difficult angles, that I remember, or show any outstanding ability to pass the ball.

I slightly agree his technical stats may be a little low, but not by much. Also what some should remember he MAY have been in a bit of good form at the WC, just like Bale at the start of this season, which doesn't justify world-beater stats, then again he may not but I don't watch the Bundesliga so I wouldn't know too much, I'm basing my whole knowledge of him on the WC and FM.

Not by much? He has championship-level stats.. technique and passing of 10, it's just plain wrong.. it's a player that has been consistently great by Bayern that besides being the top club in Germany also got to the CL final last season.

Comparing to Rooney that has technique and passing of what? 16? It's just absurd.

Not by much? He has championship-level stats.. technique and passing of 10, it's just plain wrong.. it's a player that has been consistently great by Bayern that besides being the top club in Germany also got to the CL final last season.

Comparing to Rooney that has technique and passing of what? 16? It's just absurd.

As I said I'm basing this on the WC as I don't watch the Bundesliga butfrom what I saw he showed himself to be very good mentally, composed, anticipation, runs off the ball and determination but didn't show any great technical ability. If you were to replace his mind with Gabby Agbonlahor for example, he would be terrible, purely on the fact he wouldn't be in the right places at the right time, Just like Gabby his physicallity would help a bit but with out any extreme physicallity he wouldn't be much better than championship IMO without his footballing brain, but then again I base this on what I remember of the WC, I don't see him play regularly for Bayern.

Also Rooney has shown he is that technically good but his consistency is terrrible which is why in real life he will always be a top player but not world class.

Rooney is consistent, conistent in his technical waywardness.

If ever there was an overrated player on this game then it is Rooney. And Steven Gerrard. And John Terry.

You get the picture.

I agree most English players are overrated but after watching Rooney over the last 3-4 years he has shown he is fantastic technically but has horrible consistency and never performs on really big occasions i.e. the last 2 WCs. Slightly off topic but then again if Muller was English there's no doubt he would be in the top 5 players on the game, depending on the club he played for.

I agree most English players are overrated but after watching Rooney over the last 3-4 years he has shown he is fantastic technically but has horrible consistency and never performs on really big occasions i.e. the last 2 WCs. Slightly off topic but then again if Muller was English there's no doubt he would be in the top 5 players on the game, depending on the club he played for.

Agreed, england are overrated ever season.

Rooney's consistancy is shocking, he is shocking. He had one good season (Not a world beating season that everyone made out) But drogba had a better season scored more and had more assists and rooney is overrated on FM.

Rooney is consistent, conistent in his technical waywardness.

If ever there was an overrated player on this game then it is Rooney. And Steven Gerrard. And John Terry.

You get the picture.

Rooney was just an example.. even without checking i'm sure that someone like Downing or Bentley got higher technique and passing than Muller, that just shows how badly rated Muller is.

Even Bebe that nobody heard of before he joined United probably has higher technique than Muller.

Rooney's consistancy is shocking, he is shocking. He had one good season (Not a world beating season that everyone made out) But drogba had a better season scored more and had more assists and rooney is overrated on FM.

England aren't overrated in-game. When on-form, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry and Ashley Cole are amongst the best in the world in their positions - I would argue they have more quality than Germany in this respect. But it's only when they play together as a "team" where things go really wrong - the areas where England lack are areas where they really, really lack (i.e. wingers and right-back), but most importantly, England are nowhere near the sum of their parts - while just about every other major nation is more than the sum of their parts.

thanks for input guys, I also felt his attributes were kinda weird. I am sure IRL his technique is much better, but we have to deal with computer-made Muller, not real Muller, so what to do to improve? On which individual training to put him? dribbling? finishing? passing? technique? I don't even know where to start. I would like to use him as a deep lying forward or center attacking midfielder, to work with Dzeko and Sergio Aguero.

This were my first thoughts when i saw him in the world cup. I don't doubt that his technical stats probably needs bumping up a little but what was most impressive for me was that he was an old head on young legs. I also don't watch Bundesliga, i've only seen him play in the world cup so my analysis might not be accurate compared to someone who has seen more of him.

Muller's attributes were altered by the German Head Researcher after the Bayern researcher had submitted them. If you look in the Editors Hideaway you can find a database file called the 'Muller fix', which provides the original Bayern researcher's data. I think Muller looks a bit more accurate in that version.

The main reason that Muller's technical stats are so low is that so much of his CA is taken up by his pace and two-footedness. This isn't something that can be avoided unfortunately; it's a function of the way CA is distributed in the game. There's the same problem with Walcott (admittedly to a lesser degree).

Technical attributes are low for someone who won the Golden Boot. Especially considering he beat David Villa based on the number of assists he got.

Technical attributes aside, I assume you will judge him based on what he does on the pitch? In that case he is a beast.

I am in 2021 and he is still going strong, still 16s in his best technical stats but averaging a high rating, scoring lots of goals and setting loads up.

he is far from shocking in terms of quality, he has had a very poor season so far but last season he was by far the best striker in the EPL.

I would highly doubt Muller would be a top 5 player in game if he was English, he hasn't really proved he is a top top player yet, he may become one but not right at this moment. Gerrard has proven time and time again he is one of the very best midfield players in the world, has has almost single handedly carried Liverpool for 5 seasons bar torres.

dfgrigg thanks for your explanation, it makes more sense now to be a game limitation because of CA and his ability with both feet.

he is far from shocking in terms of quality, he has had a very poor season so far but last season he was by far the best striker in the EPL.

I would highly doubt Muller would be a top 5 player in game if he was English, he hasn't really proved he is a top top player yet, he may become one but not right at this moment. Gerrard has proven time and time again he is one of the very best midfield players in the world, has has almost single handedly carried Liverpool for 5 seasons bar torres.

How was he the best striker "by far" when he scored 3 less goals than Drogba and only two more than Bent(who is on a considerably weaker team)?

He is a very good player but like every other top English player gets hyped up to the moon.

Do you actually watch Muller consistently to have a fair evaluation of him or you just dismiss him because he is playing on the Bundesliga?

dfgrigg thanks for your explanation, it makes more sense now to be a game limitation because of CA and his ability with both feet.

How was he the best striker "by far" when he scored 3 less goals than Drogba and only two more than Bent(who is on a considerably weaker team)?

He is a very good player but like every other top English player gets hyped up to the moon.

Do you actually watch Muller consistently to have a fair evaluation of him or you just dismiss him because he is playing on the Bundesliga?

There is a lot more to Rooneys game than scoring goals, he offers more to a team than Bent or Drogba does in terms of his general play. He does get hyped up and i dont think he is near as good as the english media make out but he is a top top player playing at one of the top teams in the world.

Im not dismissing anything because of the german league, i am a huge fan of german football i think the rest of football could learn alot by the way they set up their league and by the way their teams play, but to say he is near the top 5 players in the world is miles out.

The problem lies with Müller, not the English players.

I would argue the English researchers are amongst the fairest SI have - unlike perhaps others (Babacar :D).

Rooney's not hyped-up at all, and the English players aren't that hyped-up either. Our media does get carried away easily, though...

There is a lot more to Rooneys game than scoring goals, he offers more to a team than Bent or Drogba does in terms of his general play. He does get hyped up and i dont think he is near as good as the english media make out but he is a top top player playing at one of the top teams in the world.

Im not dismissing anything because of the german league, i am a huge fan of german football i think the rest of football could learn alot by the way they set up their league and by the way their teams play, but to say he is near the top 5 players in the world is miles out.

Fair enough then, i actually love watching the Premier League but get somewhat annoyed by how their "pundits" quickly dismiss anything that is not english so i might be a little agressive at times lol.

The problem lies with Müller, not the English players.

I would argue the English researchers are amongst the fairest SI have - unlike perhaps others (Babacar :D).

Rooney's not hyped-up at all, and the English players aren't that hyped-up either. Our media does get carried away easily, though...

Honestly i think his mental and technical attributes are somewhat over the top.. and i completly agree with Babacar hehe.

Fair enough then, i actually love watching the Premier League but get somewhat annoyed by how their "pundits" quickly dismiss anything that is not english so i might be a little agressive at times lol.

i do agree they do big up english players much more than others, the argument that Rooney should be classed beside Messi in terms of quality is laughable.

As i say tho Muller hopefully will become the top player we all think he should, but he is not there yet, not close and whereas i dont rate him as the greatest player in the world Rooney had an amazing season last year, the first time he has really been asked to play the goal scorer role so i can see why he would be rated better.

just to add my 2 cents in

Mullers stats will pretty much be based on the season before the world cup. There would not have been wholesale changes since the competition. I dont watch alot of bundesliga so i am not commenting on if they are right or not, just commenting on the people saying how good he was in the WC and has been in the league this year. Could very well have a good upgrade in February

Schweini has been as good, if not better, but I don't hear him getting an upgrade, so I doubt Mueller getting one.

Meanwhile, let's keep Demichelis, who has been benched then shipped off to Malaga, as one of the top defenders in the world.

Archived