Team Talks

Do you really find them effective?

I am expected to win the league so most games i say 'We can win this game!' because i don't want to 'expect a win' and put too much pressure on my players.

However, in some games i have been up 4-0 at half-time and said 'Don't let your performance drop!' and the game finishes 4-0. This wasn't just a one-off either.

Depends on the situation, your players, and how often you use a certain team talk. Saying the same thing over and over again will dilute the message, to the point where what you say will have no effect whatsoever. Keeping it varied and consistently choosing the right team talk at the right time to suit your crop of players will show results.

But again, it depends on the situation. The importance of a team talk at say, 1-1 at half time against a close rival, for example, would be greater than the scenario described above. Despite what many people think, I don't think FM is quite so cut and dry as "Oh, I won solely because I did this team talk, I should do it again and again and again and I'll keep winning". It's a factor towards performance/match outcome certainly, but it is by no means the be all and end all.

Sorry for the ambiguous response :p

I think that any 'positive' message is good, but of course if you're losing 4 -2 at half time then give them the hair dryer treatment ;). One thing that i find is that if you leave it to your assistant you might get the wrong reaction from your players, as come the end of the match they'll blame you not your assistant, you'll want to keep control of the team talks, it seem that my assistant would like (if i'd let him) say at the start of every match "for the fans" whereas i'd say maybe "good luck", i think the assistant can place too much pressure on the team so in general keep the talks positive and encourage at half time (that is if the match is close). This sort of approach along with not putting pressure on the team at pre-match conferences should produce a happy team, that is of course if you win the match ;)

Archived