Pitch size, why no custom size?

So at the start of the season I'm asked for pitch size, the choices are 111x71, 117x76 and may have been another 110x70.

I want my pitch size to be 115x75 but there is no custom option for it, surely it must be possible if 117x76 is available, why not the slightly smaller size?

I've tried the options under boardroom for staidum but there no options for the size of pitch request.

How can I get it to go to 115x75?

Play your right back slightly to the left.

Seriously, why the big hang up on this? I'm pretty sure the pitch has to be within certain boundaries with a run-off.

Perhaps you just don't have the room for that.

6.1 Field Dimensions

The field of play must be rectangular. The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length: minimum 90.0m, maxmium 120.0m

Width: minimum 45.0m, maximum 90.0m

Run-offs shall be in accordance with national and or competition rules. In the absence of any such rules in a minimum of 3m per boundary is recommended. Provision of adequate run-offs does not form part to the FIFA Quality Concept.

Play your right back slightly to the left.

Seriously, why the big hang up on this? I'm pretty sure the pitch has to be within certain boundaries with a run-off.

Perhaps you just don't have the room for that.

If i'm offered 111x71 and 117x76, then I should have room for 115x75.

i think the problem would be where would you stop? i cant be bothered working out how many possibilities there would be but you would be looking at around 30 possible pitch sizes to choose from if you were able to choose anywhere in that range.

but yeah why that specific side, what tactical advantage would it give you?

I think the point is that you can't customize it. As an example, let's say I get offered 3 choices:- 100 x 60, 115 x 70 and 110 x 65.

What if I prefer a short and wide pitch so I can spread the play in wide areas to suit tactics where I spread the play? I would like to select 100 x 70, but don't get the option, even though they are both in the dimensions. Or I might want a long and narrow pitch as I play without wingers but have pacy forwards and want to get balls over the top for them to run onto? I would like 115 x 60, but again don't have the option.

If i'm offered 111x71 and 117x76, then I should have room for 115x75.

I'd understand your complaint if you to play with a narrow and long pitch (117x71) or a wide and short pitch (111x76) which I don't think the game lets you choose (That is from memory I normally just click straight through that screen with maximum size), but the only reason to want 115x75 over 117x76 is to have a nice "round" number. In European football the number of options might be manageable, but try it with a team in Brazil where the game gives you a massive difference in length and width.

I think that the point is if the pitch sizes were customizable to that degree then the AI would be assigning a random pitch size so you'll go to games with a pitch 45 wide and 120 long - like a bowling lane.

I think perhaps FM were narrowing the choices so that the pitch sizes would be realistic, keeping each team with a choice for narrow + long or wide + short or as big as possible or as small as possible.

So if you a team with low stamina you go for a small pitch. If you've got a fast team then wide and long it is. Etc.

Arguing over 1 meter here and there is non-sense.

I think that the point is if the pitch sizes were customizable to that degree then the AI would be assigning a random pitch size so you'll go to games with a pitch 45 wide and 120 long - like a bowling lane.

I think perhaps FM were narrowing the choices so that the pitch sizes would be realistic, keeping each team with a choice for narrow + long or wide + short or as big as possible or as small as possible.

So if you a team with low stamina you go for a small pitch. If you've got a fast team then wide and long it is. Etc.

Arguing over 1 meter here and there is non-sense.

Do we even get this option though? I don't, can only have long and wide or short and narrow. Can't mix and match.

Well I was going from memory. And obviously that failed me. But it's probably just a measure to make sure things are kept realistic.

I wouldn't mind having more choices for the size of the pitch. But I always go with maximum anyways.

I wouldn't be on for the option to manually insert the size of the pitch. That's a bit overboard. You might aswell pick the paint colour for the dressing rooms.

I don't see why you choose precisely the dimensions of the pitch. There's no standard size of pitch in football, all across the world you have different size pitches, decided by the clubs who own the grounds. So if FM want to be as realistic as possible, I don't see why you can't choose how big your pitch is. Pitch size does have an impact on tactics too. Why do you think Arsenal have such a wide pitch, and Stoke such a narrow one?

This is something I've wondered about for a while. It's all very well if the game actually gives you all the possible options of narrow/wide and long/short within your stadium and competition rules, but in my experience it just doesn't; playing in League 1 in a stadium that can, possibly due to my not concentrating while using the editor, accommodate a pitch much larger than than the league maximum of 110x74, I only ever get offered Max/Min/Current (and current is set to Max from previous seasons) so I have no real choice.

Fundamentally, pitch size is two variables constrained by the stadium and the league rules, so I can't see why you couldn't have two drop-down boxes in the news item to individually specify each.

Archived