Free Kicks

It's kind of laughable the detail level we have in FM (for a game of this nature) in free kicks. Basically we can choose who's going to take the direct free kick, and that's pretty much it.

I can't skip "the set piece creator" on this one, I was expecting a thing that was going to change the game, in terms of free kicks and corners, and I actually had to come here to see where it was, because I didn't noticed after playing for a while. And the worst thing was actually seeing what it was.

Hope FM 12's going to have a set piece creator, where you actually can set who is going to take the direct or indirect free kick in some sort of area (eg: ind. FK 50m away, FK right 30m, dir. center FK 20m, and so on).

It's kind of laughable the detail level we have in FM (for a game of this nature) in free kicks. Basically we can choose who's going to take the direct free kick, and that's pretty much it.

I can't skip "the set piece creator" on this one, I was expecting a thing that was going to change the game, in terms of free kicks and corners, and I actually had to come here to see where it was, because I didn't noticed after playing for a while. And the worst thing was actually seeing what it was.

Hope FM 11's going to have a set piece creator, where you actually can set who is going to take the direct or indirect free kick in some sort of area (eg: ind. FK 50m away, FK right 30m, dir. center FK 20m, and so on).

Im assuming you mean FM12, i can see it being a handy tool to add.

I definitely think there should be options for different takers from different distances. Some guys are clearly more suited to scoring long range belters and others to short range delicate efforts. Then again I give up with freekicks anyway, my team never scores any no matter which one of my many supposedly good takers I choose. People can talk about technique etc playing a part but on FM10 I had a guy with 20 for freekicks, 19 technique, 18 long shots, 18 finishing, 20 composure and 20 decisions who never looked like scoring a freekick in his life.

Im assuming you mean FM12, i can see it being a handy tool to add.

Yup, thanks, my bad. Edited.

People can talk about technique etc playing a part but on FM10 I had a guy with 20 for freekicks, 19 technique, 18 long shots, 18 finishing, 20 composure and 20 decisions who never looked like scoring a freekick in his life.

Luck takes quite a big part in FM (the whole game, really), specially in free kicks and penaltys, where, from time to time, seems random. And obviously the GK that can be crucial on those 2 subjects.

Free kicks should have a lot more detail in the defensive category, we don't know wich type of FK we are in, so how can we determine how many players should be in the wall or in the middle of the field?

its hard to say for sure but i doubt managers have a lot of say in how the free kick taker takes their free kick. it is town to the FK taker to determine the best area of the goal to aim for and whether to go for a placed effort or a drilled shot.

the option to create a few american style set piece plays would be a good addition. in real life you occasionally see a player stepover the ball to attempt to put the other team off and sometimes the ball is laid off to someone to the side torifle in a shot. it would be nice to implement this but i'd like for the players to be able to overrule these plays and only use them sparingly as that would represent real life more imo

its hard to say for sure but i doubt managers have a lot of say in how the free kick taker takes their free kick. it is town to the FK taker to determine the best area of the goal to aim for and whether to go for a placed effort or a drilled shot.

the option to create a few american style set piece plays would be a good addition. in real life you occasionally see a player stepover the ball to attempt to put the other team off and sometimes the ball is laid off to someone to the side torifle in a shot. it would be nice to implement this but i'd like for the players to be able to overrule these plays and only use them sparingly as that would represent real life more imo

My point was that we should be able to decide who is going to take the different types of FK.

Such as:

Direct FK, right/left/center;

Indirect FK, center 50 meter away;

Side FK, usually a cross, who's the taker, who should be on the area, who shouldn't, etc., etc.

And in those instructions, the manager have a lot to say, and could be crucial.

Archived