Language Problems

How long is it going to take some of my foreign players to learn English? Its obviously a problem within the team if they cant even communicate with eachother! its just some of my players have been at my club for a long time now and under languages spoken english is still not there...

thanks

How long is it going to take some of my foreign players to learn English? Its obviously a problem within the team if they cant even communicate with eachother! its just some of my players have been at my club for a long time now and under languages spoken english is still not there...

thanks

I find as an average, about 12 months is a good guide. Some learn in less than six months, but others seem to take 18 months to 2 years with new languages. I've had one player who has been with me for almost 3 seasons now and still only has basic native language, Portuguese in this case. But it does not seem to have affected his performances to any significant degree.

I have found this with some players too. I spanked all my transfer budget on Paulo Henrique at the begining of the game, just started my 4th season and he still cant even speak basic english! I wonder if it has something to do with intelligence (look at Carlos Tevez's poor english for example!)

I am not complaining though, the guys immense on the pitch!

• 2 weeks later...

The thread is a bit old but i'm having the same problem. italian player:-

spent 205 days in spain can speak spanish

spent 193 days in france can speak basic french

spent 1047 days in england but can't speak a single word of english

am i missing something?

The thread is a bit old but i'm having the same problem. italian player:-

spent 205 days in spain can speak spanish

spent 193 days in france can speak basic french

spent 1047 days in england but can't speak a single word of english

am i missing something?

Just a thought, but do you have other Italian players in your squad? Maybe he finds it not necessary to learn English, if he can speak to several others. Like I said, just a thought.

Plus as King said, English is a difficult language to learn.

Different players learn at different rates - this is to do with their hidden attributes (adaptability? not sure any more). Much like how some people learn languages much quicker in real life than others do. I'm not sure whether age also plays a role (it does in real life).

To be fair, (spoken) English is actually a relatively easy language to learn to a basic standard. There's no gender to worry about, only a few verb forms (but loads of irregular verbs, and the continuous always causes confusion), and cases have been almost dispensed with completely (there are a few legacies like "who" vs "whom", "I" vs "me" vs "mine" etc.). The language has been properly bastardised by successive invasions. Writing is a different kettle of fish though, because the spelling is anything but logical.

Archived