Crossing issues

Is it only my players, or it's a bug, the fact that they are waiting too much time to cross (especially the full-backs). My full-backs never cross the ball, because regardless of how much time they have, they are always wasting it thinking or I don't know what, and a defender will always come and get the ball from them.

Not FM 11, but in my FM 10 this is one of my criticisms of an otherwise top match engine. Even with a top crosser, 19 for crossing, often fails to get the ball pass the fullback. And if he does manage to get one in they're rarely converted.

Agree with the OP. There appears to be a problem with crosses. Players will either run like crazy and then wait or otherwise cross before anyone turns up in the area. You never see a straight cross and header from the gameplay. Yes, from corners but not from openplay.

I'd settle for my wide players to stop trying put in a cross with a defender standing directly in front of them. I've lost count of the number of times they've pointlessly pounded the ball into the defenders shins, knee or body. You'd think they should be able to recognize that they should cut in back first, then cross.

It's very annoying. In fact everything about crosses is incredibly annoying. You get the feeling things like cross from deep or byline, to near post or far post, and to head when playing a target man are all just there for show. None of these things seem to make any difference on the pitch. My biggest issue is trying to aim for the head of a tall player. I've had Dzeko (very tall, extremely dangerous on the cross, or so you'd think) for 2 season now, and I've been trying to get my wingers with around 16-17 for crossing (no Beckhams, but still very good) to get a cross to his head all this time. It just doesn't happen for me. He hasn't scored a header from a cross in 2 years even though from my tactical input you'd gather that's part of my game plan. It doesn't matter where he is inside the box, my wingers would rather aim a low ball to the first defender. It's just not a functional feature. It's a shame because great wingplay is one of the best features of English football, and it's completely broken in this game.

I don't remember seeing one successful cross from my fullbacks in fm11 and i'm in my third season now. It's really ******. They just don't run at the ball and cross it right away, what most rl fullbacks try to do 90% of the time, bu they wait and then someone passes the ball to them, then make a few steps and wait for a defender to close them down. The only positive thing about it that there are an insane number of corners, and ofcourse my top scorer is my cb who heads them in. Problem after problem with this. Just let the god damn fullbacks to cross the ball!!! We can accept if the ball doesnt hit the head of my guy, but just looking at my player standing there and waiting to get the ball taken from him is just infuriating.

It's very annoying. In fact everything about crosses is incredibly annoying. You get the feeling things like cross from deep or byline, to near post or far post, and to head when playing a target man are all just there for show. None of these things seem to make any difference on the pitch. My biggest issue is trying to aim for the head of a tall player. I've had Dzeko (very tall, extremely dangerous on the cross, or so you'd think) for 2 season now, and I've been trying to get my wingers with around 16-17 for crossing (no Beckhams, but still very good) to get a cross to his head all this time. It just doesn't happen for me. He hasn't scored a header from a cross in 2 years even though from my tactical input you'd gather that's part of my game plan. It doesn't matter where he is inside the box, my wingers would rather aim a low ball to the first defender. It's just not a functional feature. It's a shame because great wingplay is one of the best features of English football, and it's completely broken in this game.

Just to add, when the wingers DO cross high, they aim for the winger on the far side, resulting in an aerial battle between the winger and the fullback. Grr they've broken wingplay with 11.2 I reckon.

This is an issue SI have had many complaints about but they just seem to ignore peoples requests every single year?

They need to fix this, because then whats the point of putting heading, jumping and height stats because it just seems these have nothing to do with the game. My players are always getting out jumped by little light players? Makes no sense

Can someone also explain why to take a corner, a player will walk over to the ball and then walk al the way to the corner flag? Or worse, get another player to kick the ball towards him but fail and end up having to walk even longer for it? Has SI not heard of ballboys?

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here...

I have Babacar upfront with 18 Heading, 16 Jumping and 18 Strength as Target Man.

He hasn't got a single cross to head from the wingers for for the 3 seasons I've had him. He is set to Primary target man with supply to head and the wingers have cross aim to target man with crossing to often.

This sucks...

Archived