FM Patch Idea - Scottish Reserve League

Since the Scottish reserve league has been scrapped, most clubs in Scotland arrange friendlies for their reserves, so there younger players and first team players lacking match fitness, can get some match experience and match fitness. In FM 11 you can ask your assistant to arrange friendlies for the first team, but strangely enough you can't get him to do the same job for the reserves.

I think it would be a good idea to enable this option in future patches, or failing that FM 2012. It's just that it's such a chore having to manually arrange them yourself and i can't imagine a manager in real life taking this task upon himself anyway. Also i have a save as Southampton in League 1 and they haven't entered their reserve team into the English Reserve League so it's a common problem not just related to Scottish teams.

Not meaning to be a moan lol, I just never noticed in previous games how much i relied on reserve matches to keep my backup and rotation players happy/match fit, so i feel as if it would help a lot of people.

Whilst I have no problem with the feature being added surely the answer is not to have a reserve side and loan your fringe players out.

Having spent 10 odd seasons in Italy on FM10 its easily possible to keep 20 odd players fit leaving only a handful who struggle and tbh people put far too much emphasis on a player being match fit. When most of your squad are match fit having an odd player come into the side (cover injuries?) who isn't never caused me an issue and he gained match fitness in two matches.

Whilst I have no problem with the feature being added surely the answer is not to have a reserve side and loan your fringe players out.

Having spent 10 odd seasons in Italy on FM10 its easily possible to keep 20 odd players fit leaving only a handful who struggle and tbh people put far too much emphasis on a player being match fit. When most of your squad are match fit having an odd player come into the side (cover injuries?) who isn't never caused me an issue and he gained match fitness in two matches.

Only problem with loaning the younger players out is if the club you're loaning to doesn't have adequate training facility's the player won't develop as good as he would if he was still at your club.

Only problem with loaning the younger players out is if the club you're loaning to doesn't have adequate training facility's the player won't develop as good as he would if he was still at your club.

and if he stays at your club he wouldn't develop either even if he was playing reserve matches.

Fact is the level of football in Scotland is low enough that any young player that has the potential to be first team material can easily be part of the squad from a young age. Yes that means you have to be more ruthless in choosing who to keep and who to get rid of but those are the choices you have to make as a manager.

By fringe players i mean i might have 4 centre-backs, only two can play and i usually have one on the bench. I like making the fourth defender available for the reserves, it keeps him happy and match fit, and if there are injuries or fixture congestions he can slot right in. It's the same for midfielders and strikers, i find there are usually three or four players who i don't play regularly but i do not wish to loan them out as i still consider them part of my first team.

Also with my young up and coming players, i like to use the tutoring feature to make sure they have adequate mental attributes and PPMs before loaning them out. They perform much better and they will reach their potential ability. Also the have a better attitude and it's easier to motivate them when they step up to the first team. Loaning them out is a good idea but there's a lot to be said for keeping them at the club and bring them up the right way.

Archived