Flat 442 from The Better Half

BETTER HALF FLAT 442, PATCH 11.2.1

Previously, I have had one masterthread containing all my tactics but now I have decided to give each and every tactic a thread on its own, using the old masterthread as a workshop. In this tactic, we play in a flat 442, using shouts as a reaction of what happens on the field. I prefer playing down the flanks but in the uploaded version, the passing focus is set to mixed and changes when using the shouts so in short, when I use the tactic, I start the match playing down the flanks and then manually change the focus play to "default" when making the shouts ( i.e, actually playing through the middle when shouts "narrow" ) The flow of the game is really nice to watch and as its a flat 442, its in my opinion much more fun to build a squad around. being able to fit in most player types. I have uploaded all player settings, just click the link. In the Role description I have also provided you with some key stats and although they might seem like old news, it wont hurt to read them again

As you can see in the screenshot below( click the link), we play Standard-Balanced and don't use a Playmakers or a Target Man

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS ( Click the link)

formj.png

DOWNLOAD LINK, FLAT 442

MAJOR TWEAKED SETTINGS - The closing down of the team is fixed and the mentality of the MCs, Dcs and the FCleft( Poacher)

SHOUTS

To play more attacking

STRATEGY - CONTROL

SHOUTS - EXPLOIT FLANKS and/or PLAY WIDER

To break down more cautious opponents by playing in a more controlling manor

STRATEGY - CONTROL

SHOUTS - RETAIN POSSESSION and TRY OVERLAPS, Sometimes also DROP DEEPER but not against teams using a AMc or a false nine

To punish and counter an opponent that press high and attacks you

STRATEGY - COUNTER

SHOUTS - GET BALL FORWARD, PLAY MORE NARROW, PUSH UP

To play more cautious and keep possession whilst still trying to attack when the opportunity arises

STRATEGY - COUNTER

SHOUTS - RETAIN POSSESSION, TAKE A BREATHER, PLAY MORE NARROW, PASS TO FEET

ROLES - Click the links to see their settings

FULLBACKS Keeps it rather simple

Defensive Keys :Work rate -> Decision -> Positioning -> Marking -> Tackling

Attacking Keys : Decision -> Crossing -> Passing

Nice ppms: -

CENTRAL DEFENDERS They keep it simple.

Defensive Keys: Work rate -> Decision -> Positioning -> Marking -> Tackling

Attacking Keys: Decision-> Passing

Nice ppms: Stays back at all times

WINGERS

Our MR keeps the width.

Attacking Keys: Decision -> Off the ball -> Pace -> Passing -> Crossing

Nice ppms: Runs down right flank, Moves into channels

ML, here we have a winger that moves into channels

Attacking Keys Decision -> Stamina ->Dribbling -> Pace -> Crossing

Nice ppms: Moves into channels, Gets inside the box

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

MCleft Is a more advanced holding player that keeps it simple

Attacking Keys: Decision -> Passing -> Off the ball

Nice ppms: Arrives late in the opposition area

MCright is the more creative and hits t-balls from deep

Defensive Keys: Decision -> Creativity -> Passing

Attacking Keys: Work rate -> Decision -> Positioning -> Marking -> Tackling

Nice ppms: Dictates tempo, Looks for a t-ball

ATTACKERS

FCleft

Our main scorer. Its importnat that he is able to not only get to the right place at the right time but also to actually put the ball into the net when the chance comes along. If he has good arial ability, then it’s a huge bonus but pace is more important

Defensive Keys: Work rate -> Tackling

Attacking Keys: Off the ball -> Anticipation -> Pace -> Finishing -> Composure -> Agility

Nice ppms:Moves into channels

FCRight - This player makes the final pass to the Poacher in FCleft

Defensive Keys: Work rate -> Tackling

Attacking Keys: Off the ball -> Anticipation -> Pace -> Passing -> Strength -> Agility

Nice ppms:Moves into channels

RESULTS

Really good results with Burnley, Birmingham, Charlton, Crewe and Arsenal

Table with Burnley Burnley Player stats

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

These are the OIs that I personally use or consider using when playing with almost any tactic. All depening on how indepth I want to get in the current save

Lone Striker

Tight mark and Close Down set to always

Strong but slow striker holding onto ball in a 2-man attack

Hard tackle, show onto weaker foot. i

Rubbish crossers

I show them down the line

Great crossers with right foot on right flank etc.

Show them inside

Advanced MC with good longshot and/or with great flair

Show onto weaker foot, Close Down

Deeplying playmaker and/or holding player

I let one of my Strikers manmark him and use Close down always

MATCH PREPERATION

Tactics

I usually save the Tactic as " Normal" and then make 2 more tactics. One that plays with more width and in a higher tempo( control) and one that play more narrow slow and on the counter( Counter). I then load up these 3 versions and let the players become familiar with all 3 versions so that we can use the shouts to its full benefit.

Focus Area and workload

Here, I use Team Blend for the first 2 months and then change depending on the opposition. Sometimes focusing on the more defensive aspects and sometimes the more attacking. As for the workload, I use heavy in the preseason and then in the middle or just under it during the rest of the season

TEAM TALKS AND THE MEDIA

I don't do media and as for teamtalks, It depends. Sometimes I go more indepth and make notes and sometimes I basically let my assman do it for me

PITCH SIZE

If i am a top team and tend to go for the more attacking shouts when playing at home, I choose a wide pitch. If I am an underdog, I keep a narrow pitch

POOR WEATHER

Well, I play in England and its raining....constantly. This I one of the reasons why I like to use take a breather in many matches to save energy but then again, I also use get ball forward when I feel that the opposition are the more tired side. One thing to remember though is to lower the d-line when playing in a long pitch on a rainy day, especially if having slow defenders or playing teams that have vey quick attackers and that tend to play more direct

PLAYING WITH 10 MEN

If I want to see out the game, being in the lead or drawing, I tend to remove the FCright and put the FCleft in the center as a FFC, always checking that he has kept his role and has the same settings as before moving him. After that, I use the more cautious counter shouts. Counter, Retain, Breather, To feet and Narrow. If I on the other hand is loosing, I do the same but 10 minutes from full time, I put the more attacking MC in the AMC position, pull in the wingers into MCl och MCR and play Attack, Wider and push up the d-line even more

Sure thing :)

Just to give you a chuckle...

As I'm moving threads into this sub-forum, I happened to notice that the next forum down on the moderators drop-down list, is the LLM Forum. Being all thumbs, I'm bound to accidentally drop a tactics thread in LLM sooner or later and am just waiting for the burning at the stake I can expect to receive in response! :D

Sure thing :)

Just to give you a chuckle...

As I'm moving threads into this sub-forum, I happened to notice that the next forum down on the moderators drop-down list, is the LLM Forum. Being all thumbs, I'm bound to accidentally drop a tactics thread in LLM sooner or later and am just waiting for the burning at the stake I can expect to receive in response! :D

Have a bottle of wine, then continue with the moving of threads. No wait, make that 2 bottles.

Haha would be a cracker... But now end this OT. Top work again TBH >:)

Thanks !

Looking forward to seeing some feedback. I have also made the OP clearer on the following fact

I prefer playing down the flanks but in the uploaded version, the passing focus is set to mixed and changes when using the shouts so in short, when I use the tactic, I start the match playing down the flanks and then manually change the focus play to "default" when making the shouts ( i.e, actually playing through the middle when shouts "narrow" )

yea i started of at Burnley using your old David Villa 4-4-2 with sylvan Wiltord as the traq, got promoted and after 6 months in then premier league I took the job at Bayern Munich!.

I'm looking to tweak your new 4-4-2 as i have some great attacking wingers (Ribery and Robben!) and it would be a shame to not use them, will be looking for some more attacking runs, getting forward more without sacrificing the high possession stats that your tactics bring. Also do you think that their is the flexibility in this tactic to introduce a target man, playing alongside a poacher/Riot FC, with the wingers feeding him, or will the crossing etc lead to to much lost possession?

I answered this questions here in the new opened thread instead

I have actually tried the tactic using a Target man in the FCright positing, giving him mixed in all the settings ( mentality, passing etc the same as before) and it worked really well.

Archived