3-0 HT; 4-3 FT. Where did I go wrong??

Hi guys,

just a little help here. Here's the scenario: I played in a first round cup match against a team I was 20-1 favourites to win at home.

Team talk was "I expect a win"

HT score was 3-0 to me as I completely dominated the opening proceedings.

So the HT talk was either: pleased, thrilled, don't be complacent etc... I left it as "None" as I'm on the understanding it means keep doing what you're doing?

Anyway, the sceond half saw my team go 4-0 ahead & they had a player sent off. All done within 55-60mins of the game. After this my team then decided to add tension by passing really badly and conceding 3 goals by 10 men between the 60th & 80th min.

I know its not tactics as I've never come across this problem before. But I'm always unsure of what Team Talk command should be used for max effect.

Can someone point out what I did wrong please?

As a guide, my team were not much better than theirs. Don't think Barca v Dagenham, but more of a League 1 vs League 2 match.

Thanks in advance

Probably nothing it could be just explained as a freakish thing that does happen IRL. Maybe your team got complacent or maybe the other team got really angry because of the sending off and tried harder. If it hasnt happened before put it down to a 1 off - at least you won the game :-)

As a guess, you did not really inspire your team at half time and felt at 3-0 your tactics were doing a good job, the other manager stuck a bomb up his teams ****'s and got them going. It really is a game of two halves, so take this result as a warning and try to inpress you manager skills on your team.

I bet you were getting worried before the full time whistle...

Encourage or don't get complacent to those on playing ok, NONE to those playing well are the half time talks I employ.

Sometimes when a team goes down to 10 players it seems like your team thinks the game is over.

They get sloppy miss easy passes.

For some reason the other team starts playing like superstars when down a man.

I've noticed it less with lower leagues for some reason and more with the upper echelon leagues.

Can someone point out what I did wrong please?

Not much. Perhaps where you went wrong was thinking everything you do has a tangible effect. These "it happens in real life too" comments can be seen as valid, and what they really mean is sometimes the game screws you over. Accept it.

Just me thats noticed that he said ehs 20-1 favourites to win? lool

Whoops!! I meant 1-20! Odds always confuse me!

Thanks for the replies guys & girls.

This is actually the Welsh Lower Leagues I'm playing rather than the higher leagues.

These "it happens in real life too" comments can be seen as valid, and what they really mean is sometimes the game screws you over. Accept it.

I remember one time FM10 really screwed me over was I think when it was 10.2 I was playing in the Mexican 2nd Division(Promotion League?) with Necaxa & got to the playoffs. I won the first leg 4-0 at home. Then with the second leg I set the team talk to "don't be Complacent" rather than angry/disappointed/pleased/thrilled.

Final score? 6-1.

Aggregate? 6-5.....to them! Total screw over!

Archived