AI 6 month loans

I generally play in the lower leagues and often find myself starting at a club halfway during the season due to starting the game unemployed. What I often find is that the AI manager at the club I join has taken on two long term loan players, but only on 6 month contracts. I don't know much about lower league football in real life, but is this a common situation? I'd have thought that any lower league club being offered a good quality player from a higher rep club and not having to pay his wages would want him for as long as they could possibly keep him... ie. the full season.

To me, it just doesn't make any sense for a manager to pass up the opportunity to have a free player for the full year. It's extremely annoying to join these clubs and find the long term loan quota has been used up by these half season efforts.

Anyone know any better?

This is in FM2010 btw, it might have changed in FM2011.

At York we've tended to take players for a month or two and if its worked out, kept them for the rest of the season. We currently have Ashley Chambers on loan from Leicester and thats how we did it. Likewise Robbie Weir who we had from Sunderland for two months, we're hoping to have him back for the rest of the season.

That makes total sense, and I don't think I've ever seen the AI implement loans in that fashion

Whenever I loan out players, the loan offers are 5-6 months .. but usually they try to extend that if the playing is doing well for them. So I don't see that as too much of a problem. Also no one said that the manager before you actually was offered to keep they youngster for the whole season :)

The problem seems to be the rules in the English leagues (BSN/S level at least).

You can't take the same player on long term loan (6+ months) more than once per season. Now I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think you can have a player on short term loan, then take him on long term loan afterwards.

If the above is true, then it makes even less sense for AI managers to waste a long term loan on a 6 month contract at the beginning of the season.

Archived