Targeting players, should it really be implemented in the game as it currently is?...

This is just something I have been giving a little bit of thought due to since the release of the game untill now I can say that I have played enough games to have a 'general' overview on what is going on in the game. Now, I am not trying to say what is right or wrong, and have no desire to mess around with individual Gamer's preferrences, but to maybe open a small discussion on the issue. I was just thinking if it really does reflect reality, I think that some teams may do this to some extent (which might collide with a lot of sporting morals), but think it is a little over the top that it is an easy access to no matter what team you decide to manage.

I know that there are ways around targeted players getting injured - which is most effective by simple selling them and making sure that you buy a non-injury-prone replacement - but there are other things that I have noticed that is hard to get around. Still the oposition will target your players regardless of injury-prone status and they will target the players that maybe can't handle hard tackling, causing them to either get a yellow card or two - or getting injured. I remember that, during my football days, that we did talk about some opposition players - but not in the context of hard tackling them because they were prone to injury. It was more of a "watch out for him or him" because maybe he was a good player or a real rough player, but don't ever recall any of the coaches/fitness trainers ever comming with reports on opponent players just comming back from an injury and we should hard tackle him to maybe injure him. I mean, usually the referees had a good idea if these type of things were going on (as they probably are well informed at times) and will punish players for constantly 'targeting' certain players.

I personally don't think that it should be removed entirely, but would rather see that the 'automated' option (in opposition intructions) that the Gamer or the AI have access to currently are removed and if you wish to use this (rather unmoral) tactical plot then you should just go in and tweak it manually yourself. You may have to do a little more 'homework' to pull it off best, but wouldn't that be more realsitic instead of it just being a 'natural' part of the game? I have experienced players never really getting fit during a season due to this, maybe this is the way that the 'game-coders' made sure that injuries statistics match (more or less) real world statistics but am personally hoping for another option...

Targeting players also in terms of the press where you fear some player is to some extent fun, but I think that in the long run it turns into dejavu every week with some certain players. Maybe I don't read every news paper or witness that many match press conferences on a worldly basis so I can't come with any facts, but I personally have a hard time getting used to the feature. I mean, in the real world Clubs hire psychologists sometimes to help struggling players/squads - so are we going to have to aquire the same option, seeing as the game is trying to reflect reality?

What are your thoughts?

I actually think it should be majorly tweaked or left out.

I like the thought of this feature - but it should happen a lot less and with the effect being more complicated than just a simple morale drop for 80-90% of the players due to a hidden attribute on how to handle pressure. (current player form, team form, away/home, praise or critique could be other parameters)

Also I would like it to be more obvious for me how to effectively target opposition players, as it is know its almost a complete black box - that is more informed ass man help (doesn't always has to be spot on).

Well, to be totally honest then I do recall that it could be discussed that certain opposition players were prone to 'loose their heads' (not that frequent though) so in a way this mentioned player might get hassled a bit, but at the same time were also informed not to fall into any traps or get too involved in drama scenarios. In response to Maidel, the Pre-Match meeting is basically a report on your upcomming match - like how they respond to certain formations/settings (good or bad) - within this feature there is always the "X player should be met with hard tackling" due to being injury-prone or can loose his temper. This part is the issue that I would say doesn't really reflect reality as I am sure that you simply can't get all players to necessarily target these type of players. I am sure that many footballers simply go out to be better than their opponent and when things usually do go to those lengths where players target one another then its usually due to rivalry and/or importance of certain games where you are basically fighting for your excistence. Some players just have this type of game-play, as they are maybe aggressive/never say die in a natural sense, and they have it in their blood so I can imagine Managers looking for these type of players to beef up their squads as almost every team does need warriors to fight for the cause.

Of course tactically, you can play more aggressive as a team and it is not uncommon that teams are told (in the dressing room) that they have to be more aggressive and put in some tackles to win certain areas of the pitch, but the way it is set up in FM seems a little controversial. I am just under the impression that the targeting feature is something that shouldn't necessary feature in every game you play, because even if you do not choose this option - the AI opponent certainly is on at least two of your players...

I share your view on this matter. The "special tackling treatment" for dangerous / influential players happens from time to time in rl, but not so efficient and recurring as it is implemented now by FM. There is hardly a rl football game, where EVERY player of one team decisively tried to hard tackle the same opposition player with the purpose of sending him to the hospital. It would be nice if that "feature" would be toned down a few notches or like your suggestion, made possible in another more subtle way.

Archived