Netbook Installation Question

I'm sure this may have been asked before, if so apologies but due to being on an old broken laptop to ask this question I'm rushing before it crashes again!

I am looking into getting a new Netbook for University over the next few days. I know FM11 can be bought and installed onto Netbooks through Steam but is there another possible way? Is it possible to use an external HDD and copy data from the computer that has FM11 saved onto the HDD and then extract it onto the Netbook?

Just wondering whether I will have to redownload everything again / pay for the game again through Steam as I initally bought the game on disc etc.

What Jedaye said. I am pretty certain you can copy and paste the whole FM11 folder onto your netbook and have it still working, as long as you also add the document files you should have everything back to how it was. I've been running FM11 on my Netbook for 2 years now and its run perfectly fine (though FM11's issue with a bit of lag during games tends to appear with the first and latest patch. Never lagged with 11.1, but it goes away after half time which is at least reassuring)

I have the CD so I just bought an external CD-Rom and have no issues. (Though i do resort to using no CD patches because pluggging that external is too much of an annoyance)

You dont need the netbook skin nescassarily. I use a program called Astray to set my netbooks screenresolution to a resolution that lets me play FM (12something by 8something, not sure of the exact numbers). Only downside is the layout of the game doesnt fit the netbooks screen (its bigger) so you have to scroll (just drag the arrow outside the screen) a bit to see the edges of the screen. That seems annoying at first, but I'm fully used to it now.

I didnt like the netbook-skin much, temlogo's too small to my liking (and I somehow find that important) and some features cant be used.

I used my pc's dvd-player and my wireless network to install the game onto my netbook btw. I'm not sure that was nescessary though, as steam seems to install everything form the net, I could probably have done it with just the code that was on the booklet inside the box. I was happy enough I got everything working in one go.

Thanks for the help guys, will look to get an external HDD when I get the netbook on Monday and will just download the netbook skin rather then additional programmes I think for now. May have gone with an external CD Drive if I hadnt already downloaded all the skins/facepacks etc as well as being a good 9 years into a saved game right now so I think an external HDD would be best suited.

Hopefully this way I will also be able to play FM without an internet connection as long journey's on the train to Uni could pass as quick as anything with FM! Just hope I don't get the issues with Steam saying the game can't be played due to no connection etc.

• 5 weeks later...
What Jedaye said. I am pretty certain you can copy and paste the whole FM11 folder onto your netbook and have it still working, as long as you also add the document files you should have everything back to how it was. I've been running FM11 on my Netbook for 2 years now and its run perfectly fine (though FM11's issue with a bit of lag during games tends to appear with the first and latest patch. Never lagged with 11.1, but it goes away after half time which is at least reassuring)

I have the CD so I just bought an external CD-Rom and have no issues. (Though i do resort to using no CD patches because pluggging that external is too much of an annoyance)

instead of the illegal no cd crack why not run a virtual drive? runs fine via demon tools

Archived