The paper manual

So, SI call the paper manual "old fashioned" eh? Since when were books old fashioned?! - Better start closing the schools and libraries now!

Anyway, I personally miss the paper version and would like to have a paper copy of the FM11 manual - does anyone know if it is possible to download it from anywhere??

Not that I would know of :thdn:

Yeah, the new online manual was last year advocated as easier to use and more environment friendly and easy to update with more content and quality.

I say (edit after calming down: ) not good.

It's cheaper in the first place, in the second place and in the last place. It was never updated to any satisfactory degree, at times unavailable via this forum and whenever I wanted to look something up in there it didn't contain what I was looking for.

Just all about profit, which is fair enough as SI are a business, but I detest their lame excuses which suggest the contrary.

Well tbh I can't remember the last game I bought that had a paper instruction manual with it but granted I don't buy that many.

As for jayahr comments I really expected better from him :(

Easier to use? - Not a lot in it but tbh how many regular FMers read the manual?

Enviromentally friendly? - Of course it is.

Easy to update? - Obviously.

Aside from that though with the Kindle being the biggest selling item on Amazon last year + things like the IPad its fair to say paper products are on the decline.

The last 10 or so games ive bought have been via steam... I cant remember what the last game I bought in a box was - all seems rather quaint :)

To be honest, since CivII I havent bothered to read, or even look at a manual I was given with a game.

I love "old fashioned" manuals. Along with getting the game, you've got something solid to hold and look at. Nothing quite like that new manual smell. :D

Yeah, a brand new "old fashioned" manual, with that new manual smell.

Know exactly what you mean :thup:

I'd love a proper paper manual as well.

To be honest, the FM manual (paper or online) has been absolutely rubbish for years and years now.

I remember the old days when I used to buy a new CM and then sit reading the manual before playing. :thup:

Happy days Crouchaldinio, happy days! I even used to take the paper manual to bed with me to make notes on for use in the game!!

Most places put it off and claim environmental friendliness, but in truth they just save a fortune in printing costs. Which is fair enough. But citing it to environmental reasons usually gets most people off their back for a printed version, if it was publicly put to keeping down costs then you'd have all sorts of raving lunatics demanding the price of the game be lowered and such.

But in fairness the manual is online and if you want to print it out then go for it. Nothing stopping you there.

Wondering why they can't use recycled paper? Did you know that the current Arsenal home shirt is manufactured from recycled water bottles? If they can do that with a football shirt, don't see why recycled paper can be turned into a nice manual. Or SI could do a "carbon neutral" deal, whereby every tree used to make the manual, they replace it by planting two in it's place. Pink Floyd did that with one of their albums.

Wondering why they can't use recycled paper? Did you know that the current Arsenal home shirt is manufactured from recycled water bottles? If they can do that with a football shirt, don't see why recycled paper can be turned into a nice manual. Or SI could do a "carbon neutral" deal, whereby every tree used to make the manual, they replace it by planting two in it's place. Pink Floyd did that with one of their albums.

Recycled paper costs MORE than regular paper - believe it or not. And in paper making process they have tree plantations where every tree that is cut down to make paper three more are planted in it's place. Most paper in Europe is made in Finland where they have reharvesting policies in place - to at least replace the tree that was used for making paper.

Using recycled paper is better for the environment in general but it's more expensive to purchase recycled paper, thus using recycled paper would ADD to the cost of producing the manual.

Archived